March 28, 2024, 06:24:02 PM

Author Topic: Badree calls for unity in WI cricket  (Read 943 times)

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
Badree calls for unity in WI cricket
« on: May 03, 2016, 11:18:39 AM »
http://www.guardian.co.tt/sport/2016-05-03/badree-calls-unity-west-indies-cricket

Describing the day West Indies men and women won World T20 titles, as a red letter day in West Indies cricket, leg-spinner Samuel Badree says that more success will come but unity is key. Badree played a key role in the West Indies men’s team lifting their second World T20 title recently in India.

At the end of the game, West Indies captain Darren Sammy had some choiced words for the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) and since then other players have joined in with criticisms of the regional body.

However, Badree said that the best way forward is achieving unity amongst all parties. Speaking at his induction into the Rapid Fire Foundation he said: “World Cup win...how many truly believed that we had that game in the bag? I am sure that everyone was glued to their television screens on Sunday 3rd April 2016 and I am also sure you guys saw when I hit those four consecutive sixes to win the game. Just kidding.

“But that day was indeed a red letter day in the West Indies as women and men won on the same day and couple that with the Under 19s win a couple months ago just goes to show how much talent we have in the West Indies. We have never been short of talent but for reasons other than that we have lagged behind the other global teams.”

On his induction into Rapid Fire he said: “It is indeed a pleasure and an honour to be inducted in this foundation, a foundation whose goals and objectives align directly with those of my own and whose work I hold in very high regard. As a young boy, I would have benefitted greatly from the kindness of others. I grew up in a single parent home and the burden of responsibility lied squarely on the shoulders of my mother. I was  that I was the last child and my older siblings did what they could to assist the younger ones.

“I remember Christmas time receiving hampers from various groups and being a bit bashful at receiving it but very happy for the contents of it.

“I was also the recipient of free text books from the Naparima College Old Boys Association in Secondary School and was very grateful for that as well. I want to publicly say a special thanks to everyone who would have helped me on my journey and to say that I would remain eternally grateful for your contributions in my life.”

VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

1]; } ?>