April 18, 2024, 07:07:35 PM

Author Topic: 2016 IAAF World U20 Championships Bydgoszcz  (Read 5193 times)

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
Re: 2016 IAAF World U20 Championships Bydgoszcz
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2016, 02:09:57 PM »
The drifting at the end of that 100 was the hamstring. Like when you have a flat tire, the car pulls to that side. Start in the final was normal Khalifa (start in the 2 rounds was not) but pick-up from 30-50 wasn't there.  There was no relay because Spinks had just left a Polish hospital for her back (bad beds plus pre-existing condition) AND Khalifa was really bad shape the day after the 100 final.

I'm more proud of this one than any other because this one meant overcoming the most adversity.

Khalifa's last 12 months:

Pan-Am Jr 100m GOLD
Carifta 100 GOLD
World Youth 100 SILVER
World Jr 100 BRONZE
World Champs 4x100 BRONZE

National Youth record 11.19
National Jr record 11.16

BORN TO DO IT

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2016, 07:58:01 PM »
The drifting at the end of that 100 was the hamstring. Like when you have a flat tire, the car pulls to that side. Start in the final was normal Khalifa (start in the 2 rounds was not) but pick-up from 30-50 wasn't there.  There was no relay because Spinks had just left a Polish hospital for her back (bad beds plus pre-existing condition) AND Khalifa was really bad shape the day after the 100 final.

I'm more proud of this one than any other because this one meant overcoming the most adversity.

Khalifa's last 12 months:

Pan-Am Jr 100m GOLD
Carifta 100 GOLD
World Youth 100 SILVER
World Jr 100 BRONZE
World Champs 4x100 BRONZE

National Youth record 11.19
National Jr record 11.16

Congrats to Khalifa. She has a very bright future.

Ato, you're probably one of the most outspoken critics about junior athletes not achieving the same success on the senior level. What steps are you taking to ensure Khalifa does not face the same outcome? What youre doing with her is great. And I hope it continues.

On another note, TT left the U20 with one bronze. I believe this is a reflection of our downward performances from Carifta.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2016, 11:04:14 AM »
On another note, TT left the U20 with one bronze. I believe this is a reflection of our downward performances from Carifta.

This is so distressing. What wrong with we?

Offline STMB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2016, 12:13:09 PM »

This is so distressing. What wrong with we?

My guess is a combination of the following:
1. Lack of quality off-season strengthening and conditioning coaching.
(i) Whether plyometric or weight training, athletes 16/17 and older need to be introduced to these methods by qualified individuals.
(ii) Coaches should look at collaborating with peers in other sports where advanced techniques are in play, or even employ the help of qualified gym trainers

2. Lack of quality off-season, year-end performance reviews and goal setting.
(i) We do not have to rely on the government to spend money to send athletes to facilities like Michael Johnson's. In this day and age of social media videos, amateur video manipulation (slo-mo), and affordable equipment (SoloShot), coaches can review pros and cons with their top athletes to figure out what needs to improve (form, flexibility, strength, technique, etc), then set plans and goals for both the off-season and the following competitive season.

3. Lack of in-season technical and mental coaching.
(i) Very few of our athletes show efficient basic form, or astute race planning as do their competitors from Jamaica, Bahamas, and Barbados. Case in point, look at the U20 men's 4x400m relay final and look at the 0.5-1.0 loss on every relay interchange compared to the US where the outgoing runner takes a couple of steps then turns and takes the baton maintaining the relay baton momentum.
(ii) At least one official accompanying our teams needs to deliver the "pep" talk, about pride in wearing the red, white and black, about owning the track, about not throwing away the hours, days, months of painful workouts. Some athletes get it on their own, but they all need some sort of supportive, rallying speech to raise their mental attitudes as they enter competitions.
(iii) Unless one is injured you never should run more than 0.5 sec slower than your PB with that uniform on, at such a major competition. Your goal should at a minimum be to advance past the heats and/or run a SB or PB - what happened in the U20 men's 400m (48 point and 50 point)?

4. Overall lack of focus and capability to coach non-sprint, field and other technical events.
(i) Except for one-off talents, we generally do not produce numbers in the hurdles, jumps and throws.
(ii) Coaches need to convince "middling" sprinters to try the hurdles, jumps, or middle distances, even if for a year, just to explore.
(iii) In most meets you'll see 5-10 heats for any of the sprints, but straight finals for most every other event.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 12:27:53 PM by STMB »

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2016, 06:12:48 AM »
I will say that the majority of kids I see when we come home are not serious. The gap between junior and senior has closed globally, and we haven't closed it at home.

As for Khalifa, the number one thing is continuing to be under-raced. This year she didn't run 10 finals, in total, outdoors. That is the biggest thing that leads to burnout. Complacency is another. Not an option with me.
BORN TO DO IT

Offline Swima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2016, 07:32:04 AM »
I will say that the majority of kids I see when we come home are not serious. The gap between junior and senior has closed globally, and we haven't closed it at home.

As for Khalifa, the number one thing is continuing to be under-raced. This year she didn't run 10 finals, in total, outdoors. That is the biggest thing that leads to burnout. Complacency is another. Not an option with me.

This transcends most, if not all sports at home. And the worst part is that those who are serious, are being pushed to burnout by coaches who see a quick chance at creating the impression of success. No active policy on development and not enough education on pathways that are age appropriate and sport appropriate.
Success will never take you by surprise.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2016, 08:41:45 PM »
What really went wrong with Akinni?

1]; } ?>