March 28, 2024, 08:33:20 AM

Author Topic: Olympics: Rio 2016  (Read 16011 times)

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Olympics: Rio 2016
« Reply #60 on: August 17, 2016, 08:06:55 PM »
Anyway, Brazil v Argentina in men's Volleyball.

Crowd is nervous
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 17, 2016, 08:32:54 PM »
I feel Lochte and them come up with this story because they really get ketch or robbed by some transvestites or hookers.
Their story is fishy and inconsistent. Brazil's law enforcement not letting this one go easy, tonight they take 2 of the swimmers off the plane to take in for questioning.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 17, 2016, 08:34:12 PM »
It is said that Lochte is back in the states??!!

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 18, 2016, 12:53:48 PM »
Yeah, he left before the judge issued the order for them to stay. And CBC is reporting that source tells them the other 2 swimmers admitted to the story being fake.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/us-swimmer-robbery-1.3726339
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 19, 2016, 09:59:20 AM »
Serbia vs USA in women's volleyball was entertaining. USA fall flat without Akinradewo. Serbia have two killers in mijhalovic and boskovic.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 20, 2016, 11:26:14 AM »

Ah going and take in some other Olympic sports now, last few days was too focused on track and field

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 20, 2016, 12:44:22 PM »
Italy vs USA volleyball - ivan zayetsev is a BEAST! Italy vs Brazil will be a great match.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 20, 2016, 10:29:51 PM »
Mo Farah  :applause: :applause:

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 21, 2016, 11:55:53 AM »
Wallace and them getting on!

Neymar and all cheering them on.

:salute:

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 21, 2016, 11:59:31 AM »
Imagine these fellas had to beat France to just make it to the knockout stages.

:wavetowel: :wavetowel:

That was fun.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 21, 2016, 12:07:45 PM »
America dominates swimming medal table and track and field medal table. Far ahead in overall Olympic medal table.

Respect to Great Britain they have improved a lot in various Sports or maybe their success this Olympics is due to Russia only having half their team in Rio.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 11:30:25 PM by Sando prince »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 21, 2016, 03:56:11 PM »
Russia, China, Japan, Australia and South Korean will gunning for the US in Tokyo.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 21, 2016, 07:18:39 PM »
The final Rio 2016 medal podium

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 21, 2016, 07:22:10 PM »
^^ So if T&T ever make it up dey (ah say if) they will have to put ah steelpan dey to symbolise we  :)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 11:29:59 PM by Sando prince »

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 21, 2016, 08:59:15 PM »
I already having withdrawal symptoms. What I go watch now?

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 21, 2016, 10:24:23 PM »

The Games had everything from marriage proposals to death and all sorts of intrigue and drama in between (excluding Lochte's shenanigans). Just seeing a recap and there's a lot I had no clue occurred.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 21, 2016, 10:30:53 PM »
That's the exact same thing I said after the closing ceremony. Guess we could watch and see how the Lochte drama unfolds...speaking of which, is his boys still in Brazil?

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 22, 2016, 08:01:55 AM »
America dominates swimming medal table and track and field medal table. Far ahead in overall Olympic medal table.

Respect to Great Britain they have improved a lot in various Sports or maybe their success this Olympics is due to Russia only having half their team in Rio.

http://www.itv.com/news/wales/2016-08-21/welsh-athletes-end-their-time-at-rio-with-record-breaking-medal-haul/

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 23, 2016, 06:44:39 AM »
T&T should invest in handball, water polo, diving, synchronised swimming ... what else?

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 23, 2016, 07:27:22 AM »
T&T should invest in handball, water polo, diving, synchronised swimming ... what else?
disagree, the things we like and have a comparatively decent turnout cannot get decent investment, farless something that will be new and thus minimal participation, especially when it comes to administration and selection. Eg. Controversial football admin and even Controversial gymnastics selections. In addition, our small selections pools are further divided.imo

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 23, 2016, 08:26:39 AM »
disagree, the things we like and have a comparatively decent turnout cannot get decent investment, farless something that will be new and thus minimal participation, especially when it comes to administration and selection. Eg. Controversial football admin and even Controversial gymnastics selections. In addition, our small selections pools are further divided.imo

Participants will gravitate to activities that (1) interest them and (2) to which they have a measure of success. If we fail to diversify the number of possible activities, there will be numerous participants - who having been excluded from our traditional activities - would literally be idle hands that could be engaged in other activities. Handball in particular has transferable capacities (and recipient capacities from other invasion sports such as basketball) and is also not a cost intensive activity to participants. In Germany, NT and Bundesliga coaches often refer to lessons learned from observing elite handball. Volleyball, although not an invasion game, also has multiple transferability vis-a-vis handball.

Water polo and diving also mirror much of the same proposition.

We have to treat attendance at events and likely interest in participation in activities as sides of two distinct coins. We don't lack proper investment because of minimal participation. Moreover, minimal participation is not the root product of a lack of investment. It is the product of a lack of exposure and  activity promotion.

For instance, the generation before me at secondary school played hockey. I bought a hockey stick but there were few avenues to learn the sport. The 6th formers played but the 1st formers had no clue. On the other hand, the gymnasts were aggressive recruiters and instructors. The flips I used to do on my bed, ended up being "useful". If someone had shown up to teach diving, I would have had an opportunity to test and transfer that capacity. But guess what? It would have been no "loss" to hockey or even football. Definitely not cricket. Why? No one ever taught me how to move my feet at the wicket, but in the field I could dive for any catch.

Synchronised swimming? Might be a luxury but also lots of transferability from other activities and let's face it ... Not every swimmer is going to be a Missy Franklin. But they might make competent synchronised swimmers.

Finally, I don't think population size pours cold water on opening up to other sports. We have to look at things as once human activity is implicated and all the ranges of motion that accompany that, there will be disposition to those activities throughout our society to all such activity.

I saw a women's hockey team representing T&T abroad and I thought ..." this can't be it". We just are not extending the web sufficiently. Cuba did it. Yes bigger country, yet more difficult to traverse. Why can't we?

One of the reasons we have a small selection pool is because we don't diversify who participates/is exposed to what. Invest in people. Market forces will dictate what follows.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 12:59:13 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 24, 2016, 10:52:29 PM »
I like how yuh organize yuh points. But the bottomline, is they will not be funded adequately and without that the attainment, practice and achievement of elite level status, although beneficial in the short term, may just be a
 fun activity at best, in the long term. We may get a World Class athlete, but a team, not so sure...we have problems with teams. However, an association with proper management and private support might be able to make a go, yet might still only be restricted to a very few, who in themselves may not even have the talent for it..like yuh hockey stick and my swimming. Yet is within the organization continuity where the trouble might start. I am chatting based on personal opinion and history, not facts. The 1st step , introduction & promotion, where will that originate. Let's go thru the list of possible sports...Synchro.. oops , will have to defer..later
add: we will talk this one out in person over a few  :chilling:..just want to say besides finance, organization, my last concern is the amount of devotion and time commitment to a fringe sport would not lead to world class development in the short term. Therefore, less support and funding, especially a team sport..catch-22. We may get ppl to play, but can they compete with success, irregardless of all the normal bobbol..eg gymnastics, swimming, etc.. an individual sport may be easier..as they can hone their skills and results in foreign and get some measure of support there..eg..rowing, sailing, gymnastics, swimming and even synchro and diving etc..but there are still some fringe items where luck and training cannot truly become Olympic class in the now, and require a long term commitment, which is difficult to justify trini public support - read 'we want it now syndrome' eg Judo, Equestrian, Handball, swimming , football  (men & women), athletics, you name it.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 10:13:05 AM by maxg »

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 27, 2016, 03:26:54 PM »
I am waiting to see what is the long term profit of the Olympic swimming pool facility we just opened in Couva. Is it going to be used as a venue to develop our swimming talent in T&T? First of all we need the right coaching to guide and develop talent if we want to be taken seriously in this sport, which means we have to hire qualified foreign coaches, then there is the issue of recruitment. We have to reach out to all the talent everywhere in the country, so there has to be a plan in place, I suggest going into the schools because there are schools in every corner of the country so no talent will be left untouched. Then there needs to be financial investment by the business community because the Govt cannot do it by themselves.

I wait patiently to see what happens
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 03:28:59 PM by Sando prince »

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 28, 2016, 12:02:51 PM »
I am waiting to see what is the long term profit of the Olympic swimming pool facility we just opened in Couva. Is it going to be used as a venue to develop our swimming talent in T&T? First of all we need the right coaching to guide and develop talent if we want to be taken seriously in this sport, which means we have to hire qualified foreign coaches, then there is the issue of recruitment. We have to reach out to all the talent everywhere in the country, so there has to be a plan in place, I suggest going into the schools because there are schools in every corner of the country so no talent will be left untouched. Then there needs to be financial investment by the business community because the Govt cannot do it by themselves.

ok..hold on..research 1st..there is Ntl secondary & primary school meets. Maybe the ppl who not aware of it, focus isn't there and that is a possible point to address. I have always been suspect, more so lately of their PR.
nb: Swimming is not generally a money making sport, what i have found it to be, is more character building. How many ppl in TT or TTians in general,  think they need to pay to build the character of their children (future). Nah man. nobody can't teach WE children better than WE. Besides we can put that money to better use - read give them book sense without guidance, read materiality and the importance of acquisition, without hard work, read celebrations without achievement. nb: I am not of the impression, swimming is for everyone, or any sport or non-sport process for that matter. What I do believe, for us to develop as a people, we have to learn some humility and prepare to work hard and not be ashamed to say or do it. read, teach our kids good & proper values. One does not have to be religious to do this.
hmmm, sometimes we feel we brighter than the teachers and we expect our countrymen to out do the doers. Very few foreign coaches (expat or not) have been totally frustrated by this. There are a few right on this site.
http://www.swimtt.com/

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/m0um79r1m54iva8/AAAhdU2Dr3xTj2XIZeHu2ijHa?dl=0

add: for those reading this, please understand, I have made a lot of mistakes, so i'm not holier than thou or better than anybody else, i just aged and learned. Still, answers is not what I have, just what i seek, i  mostly have questions, and i make decisions based on the answers received, and adjust as most TTians used to do. My observations lately tells me, that many of us anxious to reach and expect everything to come to us, not realizing that even if one reach, the focal moves, therefore we can't stop. ok..thinkin  to much, (and typin to much of things that i'm not even sure about, IMO).ah done.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 01:25:26 PM by maxg »

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 28, 2016, 01:42:15 PM »

ok..hold on..research 1st..there is Ntl secondary & primary school meets. Maybe the ppl who not aware of it, focus isn't there and that is a possible point to address. I have always been suspect, more so lately of their PR.
nb: Swimming is not generally a money making sport, what i have found it to be, is more character building. How many ppl in TT or TTians in general,  think they need to pay to build the character of their children (future). Nah man. nobody can't teach WE children better than WE. Besides we can put that money to better use - read give them book sense without guidance, read materiality and the importance of acquisition, without hard work, read celebrations without achievement. nb: I am not of the impression, swimming is for everyone, or any sport or non-sport process for that matter. What I do believe, for us to develop as a people, we have to learn some humility and prepare to work hard and not be ashamed to say or do it. read, teach our kids good & proper values. One does not have to be religious to do this.
hmmm, sometimes we feel we brighter than the teachers and we expect our countrymen to out do the doers. Very few foreign coaches (expat or not) have been totally frustrated by this. There are a few right on this site.
http://www.swimtt.com/

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/m0um79r1m54iva8/AAAhdU2Dr3xTj2XIZeHu2ijHa?dl=0

Ok slow down elder, YOU are advocating for a society with better values and morals and seem ready to attach my post on making the best use of this Olympic swimming facility to address your concern. What you mean by putting the money to better use? So how much money you think should be put to ensure we get the best return from this state of the art facility? Do not tell me the facility is there to just have swimming lessons. No wonder why we underachieve at regional and International events in sports, because we are not even willing to attend to the grassroots problems which prevents us from developing the sport. But yet when failure reach we ask 'what went wrong?'.

The secondary school swimming is what exactly? The recruitment is poor in the sport and we need a program in place in TnT to develop the talent professionally, which means we need financial investment and foreign coaching. If we are not going to do this then what is the future of the sport and the facility? Do not bring the ills of society in this post because even if we did have those issues corrected the sport will not be where we want it to be today if all these issues mentioned still existed.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 01:43:48 PM by Sando prince »

Offline Swima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 28, 2016, 04:39:18 PM »
One coming SP. Drafted and ready for submission. However, the current aquatics executive needs to leave. No more piggy backing and stabbing me in the same area you riding.

When a working exec is in place, mine and the ideas of other who at the very least are both fanatic and patriotic will be revealed.

Don't think some in the Ministry aren't aware either.
Success will never take you by surprise.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 28, 2016, 07:43:47 PM »
my bad. It's not from me you will hear "Nah man. nobody can't teach WE children better than WE. Besides we can put that money to better use - read give them book sense without guidance, read materiality and the importance of acquisition, without hard work, read celebrations without achievement."  Please watch the context, obviously you didn't see my point, in spite of my faux pas..
but why
 No wonder why we underachieve at regional and International events in sports, because we are not even willing to attend to the grassroots problems which prevents us from developing the sport. But yet when failure reach we ask 'what went wrong?'.
 I was talking about the grassroot level of our sports, which is based on the grassroot level of every society.
I only used swimming as an example because, you used swimming as the focus of discussion. In addition, there are very good coaches and possibly good swim administrators in the country, even if they are not the one presently in a decision making position and you are not familiar with them.
Thirdly, before you become professional, better believe you have to start with swimming lessons or whatever sport lessons, wherever they might be. In my town in a 5 mile radius there are over 26 swimming pools that have summer pool lessons and weekly competitions, it's how we started. Winter competitive swimming occurs at 3 major indoor pools, and guess what pays for the clubs that swim out of these pools. Lessons, and it is these lessons that feed the club swimmers, who eventually move on to provincial & in a very few cases National level swimmers, so far lately, we have had 5 or 6 out of the thousands that pass thru. Two of which i'm trying to convince to represent our country. They always hoping for more in the future.So although you do need a professional admin, it does not necessarily mean you would be always producing professional or world level athletes, it takes work, time and people.You can give a kid the best coach, best facility, best support in football, and he become a professional lawn tennis player, thus we need numbers.
There are people who are preparing to do this as Swima point out above, but in many cases they are ignored, politically shot down or just plain discouraged. Did we need a major International standard pool, maybe or maybe not, I would have preferred many smaller pools accessible pools across the islands, yet with this one, proper management and and admin , the swimtt, may be able to enjoy more visit from teams and coaches that we can learn from, and more swim space for more kids (even if we can have them bussed from the schools ) to learn.
Finally, my advocation of a better society, is what I think will give us more success at sport even if only we have more numbers to choose from. Sorry, if you think i attached my spiel to your post to help promote that, and did not help in answering part of your question. Forgive the oldman, he don't express himself to clearly and don't have no special degree in communication either.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 07:46:24 PM by maxg »

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 28, 2016, 07:52:24 PM »
In addition, there are very good coaches and possibly good swim administrators in the country, even if they are not the one presently in a decision making position and you are not familiar with them.

This is this old man mentality. WHO are these people you are defending? we have been FAILING and getting WORSE at the youth level in Carifta but yet you saying we have good coaches here in TnT. Continue with more of the same nonsense, because like in many sports in T&T the old man mentality have us still behind. They believe we do not need outside help despite the results saying otherwise.

Thirdly, before you become professional, better believe you have to start with swimming lessons or whatever sport lessons, wherever they might be. In my town in a 5 mile radius there are over 26 swimming pools that have summer pool lessons and weekly competitions, it's how we started. Winter competitive swimming occurs at 3 major indoor pools, and guess what pays for the clubs that swim out of these pools. Lessons, and it is these lessons that feed the club swimmers, who eventually move on to provincial & in a very few cases National level swimmers, so far lately, we have had 5 or 6 out of the thousands that pass thru. Two of which i'm trying to convince to represent our country. They always hoping for more in the future.So although you do need a professional admin, it does not necessarily mean you would be always producing professional or world level athletes, it takes work, time and people.You can give a kid the best coach, best facility, best support in football, and he become a professional lawn tennis player, thus we need numbers.

Point is you need a professional program, because a youth finish school what next? there needs to be a mechanism in place that is long term and stable that is financially supported. One with the right coaching and give developing swimmers direction. What is the name of this program in T&T today?

We have an Olympic swimming pool which is a perfect venue for this program, and this can be implemented in the form of a professional club or whatever is equivalent to one, furthermore this new state of the art venue has to be used to help bring the best results for the sport in T&T
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 07:57:38 PM by Sando prince »

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 28, 2016, 08:02:18 PM »
A youth want to be a footballer in T&T, he knows where to start, he will go try out for a local club which plays in a zonal league with the goal to be scouted by a pro league club n the near future. So now a youth want to be a swimmer in T&T where does he start? He has no idea and already discouraged. What we know today is we just opened a star of the art swimming facility and that is a venue that should already have a program in place to develop talent. However the swimming federation has to put mechanisms in place to reach out to talent throughout the country. I do not hear shit on radio, see shit on Tv, see anything in the newspaper, nothing on social media. Once again the old man ideas by the old men running sports in T&T is not working.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 08:52:19 PM by Sando prince »

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 28, 2016, 09:04:30 PM »
Old man mentality. Defense of people ? Failing and getting worse because we don't have good coaches ? etc etc I have no idea what you talking about, and what's more, i think you don't either. You fail to grasp the simple concept of sport. even your eg.  a youth want to be a footballer he goes and try for a local club, etc...just so. and if he don't make the zonal club, he should just forget it ?..I don't think any sport work like that. and then as far as you concerned we not doing well, because old men running the sport with old ideas..and what's worse, like myself.. some of the people i say holding back other people who have ideas, and I thinking like dem od men, when it is clear, like you, i think more could be done..ok, young fella everybody but you have oldman ideas,  and killing our sport..ok..u right..no need for further discussion.

1]; } ?>