March 28, 2024, 12:48:09 PM

Author Topic: Olympics: Rio 2016  (Read 16015 times)

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Olympics: Rio 2016
« Reply #90 on: August 28, 2016, 09:15:32 PM »
Old man mentality. Defense of people ? Failing and getting worse because we don't have good coaches ? etc etc I have no idea what you talking about, and what's more, i think you don't either. You fail to grasp the simple concept of sport. even your eg.  a youth want to be a footballer he goes and try for a local club, etc...just so. and if he don't make the zonal club, he should just forget it ?..I don't think any sport work like that. and then as far as you concerned we not doing well, because old men running the sport with old ideas..and what's worse, like myself.. some of the people i say holding back other people who have ideas, and I thinking like dem od men, when it is clear, like you, i think more could be done..ok, young fella everybody but you have oldman ideas,  and killing our sport..ok..u right..no need for further discussion.

Clearly you need to absorb what is being said then re- absorb it again. Let me repeat for you below

A youth want to be a footballer in T&T, he knows where to start, he will go try out for a local club which plays in a zonal league with the goal to be scouted by a pro league club n the near future. So now a youth want to be a swimmer in T&T where does he start? He has no idea and already discouraged. What we know today is we just opened a state of the art swimming facility and that is a venue that should already have a program in place to develop talent. However the swimming federation has to put mechanisms in place to reach out to talent throughout the country. I do not hear shit on radio, see shit on Tv, see anything in the newspaper, nothing on social media. Once again the old man ideas by the old men running sports in T&T is not working.

Also like I said earlier,

Point is you need a professional program, because a youth finish school what next? there needs to be a mechanism in place that is long term and stable that is financially supported. One with the right coaching and give developing swimmers direction. What is the name of this program in T&T today?

We have an Olympic swimming pool which is a perfect venue for this program, and this can be implemented in the form of a professional club or whatever is equivalent to one, furthermore this new state of the art venue has to be used to help bring the best results for the sport in T&T
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 09:33:48 PM by Sando prince »

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 28, 2016, 09:21:56 PM »
Latest Carifta results over recent years shows a decline in swimming for T&T yet the old heads will say everything is ok. they believe these coaches in Trinidad could guide local talent to International success despite the results clearly showing otherwise. Dais the nonsense and the old man mentality. The coaching is poor and the management of the sport is poor. It will be embarrassing if next Olympics with a state of the art Olympic swimming facility we cannot produce locally trained swimmers to compete in Tokyo because they cannot meet the Olympic qualification times, but at the same time it will be expected because the old heads who running the sport will just put together some excuses as usual as to why they did not make the necessary changes at the grassroots level.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 09:30:23 PM by Sando prince »

Offline Swima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 29, 2016, 05:08:33 AM »
Don't think you hearing what max is saying. Human resource is there. Systems not in place. Hence the decline you identified.

Local coaches have contributed to the development of every Olympic swimmer in our history. Should any of Max's kids make it, they may very well be the first.

The issue is not talent, it is the system to reap the full harvest.
Success will never take you by surprise.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 31, 2016, 09:05:22 AM »
Trini volunteer in Rio
By Charles Kong Soo, T&T Guardian.

When Trinidadian Jon Mahabir saw the request online for volunteers for the Rio 2016 Olympic Games not long after he returned from the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil, he was determined to be part of the drama and spectacle.

After passing all the tests to be a volunteer, the T&TEC employee from Port-of-Spain left Trinidad on August 2 to embark on the once-in-a-lifetime experience and arrived in Rio on August 3 where he hit the ground running, working at the Beach Volleyball Arena in Copacabana, on August 6.

Speaking with the Sunday Guardian on Wednesday via Skype, Mahabir said, “In all, it’s about 50 to 60,000 volunteers and I’m extremely proud to probably be the only volunteer here from T&T.

“I haven’t met anyone else from the Caribbean actually.

“About half of the volunteers are Brazilian and the others are from various countries in the world.

“At the hostel where I’m staying, which is about 40 minutes walk from the volleyball arena, there are people from Holland, Indonesia, England, France, and there are others I work with from Germany and the USA as well. Very exciting stuff.”

Mahabir, who speaks English, Spanish, French and Portuguese, is working as part of the press operations mixed zone at the beach volleyball arena. He said as soon as a game is finished, there was a corridor where the athletes must pass to give interviews with various media houses.

Mahabir said what he was tasked with was ensuring that the large media houses stayed in their assigned zones and the other press such as local country press and newspaper houses and websites do not enter the zone for the high-profile press. He said the volunteers also had to ensure that no filming or photos were taken in areas where it was not allowed.

Mahabir said the volunteers themselves were not allowed to interact with the athletes, ask for autographs, pictures or to photograph them. He said, however, the volunteers were extremely close to the athletes and it was a really wonderful experience seeing the athletes from the various countries interact and give interviews with members of the media.

Most memorable experiences of Rio 2016 Olympic Games
Mahabir said so far his most memorable experience was checking in for his first day of work on August 6. He said the Rio 2016 Olympic games committee gave the volunteers a welcome present of a Swatch watch designed especially for them.

Mahabir said his other memorable moment was being able to sit in the press tribune and watch the game live. He said his favourite experience was being able to be so close to the athletes when they finished their games.

Mahabir said the first night he worked, the US women’s volleyball team, defending champion Kerri Walsh Jennings and her new partner, April Ross, played the last game beating Australia, maintaining their legendary status. He said Walsh Jennings and Ross stayed behind to thank the crowd and then gave interviews to all the media at 2 am.

Mahabir said the Americans were the last out and the volunteers were also able to leave at the same time as them. He said he was able to congratulate them and tell them what a fantastic job they did. He said Walsh Jennings and Ross were very appreciative and gracious of his well wishes.

Mahabir said another big moment was on August 8, his birthday. He said he was scheduled to work from 8 am to 5 pm and the organisers told him to take the day off, go change and return, and he could see the games as a spectator and stay however long he wanted.

Mahabir said he was able to catch some great games and it was fantastic.

Mahabir, who loves football, said he actually started learning Portuguese to attend the FIFA World Cup 2014 in Brazil and he never stopped; he studied it right here in Trinidad at the UWI Centre For Language Learning. He said it was a three-year programme and he completed it in April 2016. He said at the World Cup he was purely a spectator and fan.

Mahabir said this time he was part of the inner workings of the Olympic games and he got to see the background and how much work went into putting on these kind of events. He said there were a lot of logistics planning and organising that took place and it was fun to be able to be backstage at the show as much as it was a lot of work.

Mahabir, who purchased his own ticket to Brazil and paid for his stay at the hostel, said they were provided with uniforms, training, food, and the opportunity to be part of the experience.

The Rio 2016 Olympic Games organisers treated the volunteers as well as they would treat anyone else, Mahabir said. He said there were about six or seven volunteers at the hostel so it was a fun community.

Mahabir said some of the volunteers were assigned to the beach volleyball venue, same title but different shifts while others were based in different locations and stadia, sports and tasks. Mahabir said he booked his return ticket to Trinidad for August 16.

The organisers wanted to give him shifts on August 16 and 18 for the semis and finals in the press tribune, but unfortunately he could not accept otherwise he would have to sleep in the street he said in jest.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 31, 2016, 10:28:29 AM »
I had the luck and opportunity to work at Montreal'76, VIP section of the main stadium, one of the highlights of my life. Met and actually conversed with Joffre Serette, Telly Savalas, Wilt Chamberlain(not much talk, he was upset when I blocked him), Prince Phillip, Pierre Elliot Trudeau, O J Simpson, Hasely Crawford, Donald Quarrie to name a few. Longest chat was with Prince Phillip, who indicated he love T & T. I asked him "how come you didn't come over and talk to me, when I was waving at you in '66 by the savannah", Think they came for Independence. He had a good laugh and said it wouldn't happen again. Never seen him since  lol.
 Years later, ran into Crawfie on Jerningham place (Over the Hill boys fete), that man had memory. He remembered I ran against him in TO and I was the 1st TTian, that came into the athlete's press area to congratulate him. I said, man, you real good. He said, "Out there, I cyah forget my people". Amazing.  I wonder if he still like that ?

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 31, 2016, 12:06:46 PM »
Thanks for sharing that, maxg. When Brownsugar mentioned she would be going to Rio, I suggested volunteering as an option because it is a tremendous way in which to see the Games. It's also a way to lend one's area(s) of experience and expertise to the Games effort because the selections process elicits those details as it seeks to source/place personnel where they can make a viable difference.

I applied for Athens 2004 and, after going through a couple stages of the selection/validation process, was eventually selected as a volunteer. However, ended up viewing like everyone else from a distance. Would not be surprised if a Trini or two volunteered at the London Games.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 01, 2016, 12:02:32 AM »
tbh,  i didn't volunteer,I applied for a job, but that is another story. Yuh know the French interviewer guy thought Spanish was our language in Trinidad, being so close to South america. Interview was in french & English , they did 2 at a time, the other interviewee spoke no english, and i no french, so he answered all the french questions, and i the english. Because the man thought i was trilingual(Spanish my 1st tongue) , i got the VIP section job, but it was a paying job, i couldn't do it otherwise. I was young and needed the money, baby was on the way.   :thumbsup: all good still

1]; } ?>