March 28, 2024, 04:08:16 PM

Author Topic: Dylan Carter Thread  (Read 7492 times)

Offline Swima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Dylan Carter Thread
« on: December 07, 2016, 10:51:20 AM »
CARTER SMASHES 200 Free National Record

Dylan Carter produced an impressive swim in the preliminary of the 200m freestyle male event in 1:42.90 to become the fastest qualifier in the event at the World Short Course Championships in Windsor Canada.

Carter smashed the 200 Freestyle record set by George Bovell III in 2004 of 1:44.81. He won his heat 9 comfortably ahead of Korea’s Taewan Park (1:44.09) and Belgium’s Pieter Timmers, with Park emerging the 7th fastest qualifier moving on to the final.

Franz Huggins, Carter's locally based coach was pleased with the performance.

"The swim this morning looked very controlled. He split his race perfectly and really looked smooth throughout. With Two Olympic 200 freestyle medalists in the final with him tonight, he will have his hands full, but there is no doubt a place on the podium is the goal."

The final is scheduled for after 8:00pm (TT Time), where Carter will get the coveted Lane Four on his quest for precious metal for T & T.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 06:04:51 PM by Flex »
Success will never take you by surprise.

Offline Swima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: CARTER SMASHES 200 Free National Record
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 08:55:27 AM »
He was fourth in the final after dropping another half a second. Excellent performance by a 20 year old.

Offline Swima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 02:41:01 PM »
9th this morning in the 50 fly prelims to secure a semi final spot. Will push harder tonight for a spot in the final. 8PM TnT time.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2016, 11:12:32 PM »

I wish him well, hopefully he continue to improve enough to be a medal contender at next Olympics

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2016, 06:37:12 AM »
Good luck to this young man.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 10:15:53 PM »
https://swimswam.com/2017-mens-pac-12-championships-day-1-finals-live-recap/

Dylan in 3 events (50 (ranked: 2), 100 (1), 200 (1) free)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 10:18:00 PM by maxg »

Offline Swima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2017, 06:44:02 AM »
He's already qualified for the NCAA div. 1 meet, so he is not peaked here, nor is he shaved. Looking good so far.

Offline Swima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2017, 07:38:06 AM »
So the psych sheets are out and the meet is as usual, extremely competitive. NCAA division 1 is considered the fastest meet in the world due to the quality in the events from top to bottom.
Dylan is one of the few swimmers at the meet who has not done any shave and has had minimal rest at his conference meet, so he hopes to take his taper and make some history for Trinidad and Tobago.
He is currently ranked 4th in the 200 free and the guy who is 5th is the American record holder (short course yards) and was 5th in Rio. They are probably the only two in the event coming in with a full taper and not holding over from their Conference meets.

Will keep those interested, posted on the outcome.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2017, 04:33:45 PM »
Good luck to Dylan!!!

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2017, 01:45:00 PM »
What about locally based swimmers? Are they improving?  We have Olympic swimming facility now, what about the quality of coaching? Come next Olympics we cant be dependent on one or two foreign based simmers again. No excuses next Olympics

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2017, 09:45:07 AM »
Look trouble now
https://swimswam.com/dylan-carter-130-first-2-years-wasnt-serious-video/

followed by A Final in 50 free dropping 1/4 sec. Going in 7th. wow
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 10:17:00 AM by maxg »

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2017, 11:04:31 AM »
What about locally based swimmers? Are they improving?  We have Olympic swimming facility now, what about the quality of coaching? Come next Olympics we cant be dependent on one or two foreign based simmers again. No excuses next Olympics
As I said awhile ago..Only IMO, Yuh can't build a big fancy school and that will make people smarter,or a big fancy church and it will make people holy. that being said, Swimming is a whole different animal in sport, prerequisites are like other sports - dedication, hard work, talent - but additional criteria are faith and a lot of time management and life sacrifices.
  Unfortunately as TT has a very small pool of competitive swimmers, the top talented athletes need higher competition and strong environments to develop, which means at some point they will have to immerse themselves in a foreign environment, this is where they will make or break, as the demands on the individual are very high, and expensive. We can get around some of the finances with a scholarship, yet to maintain this, the academics has to be strong. For swimmers, during their prime years, it's Pool-Class-Pool-homework-sleep(at present -24hrs/dy, 6-7 dys a week).
   Thus a Olympic training facilty will not develop our top swimmers for the higher levels of the sport, as much as it may increase the pool of young swimmers and participants through proper marketing and drawing power of hosting higher level meets and attracting foreign clubs/events to utilize the facility. The benefits of this facility as per Olympic glory may not be apparent in our lifetime, but to the population, with proper administration/management and greater public awareness, may (or may not) have an immediate impact on the sport and maybe even the society. Our main sports are cricket and football, and track, as kids we can get glory in the school yard, in the lane, small goal, lamp-post to lamp-post, windball...but to swim competively, one has to travel to the very few pools in the country.
   On the other hand, my surburbian town has 28 public pools in the area, 2 National ranked clubs with Olympic sized pools since 50years with thousands membership, all striving for the same Olympic dream, our 36 Carifta representatives strive for. In that 50 years with thousands registered, every year, our club claim 19 Olympians - some of the claims are from when the ppl pass through the club as kids - of that 19 maybe 1 or 2 attained a final, and 1 made a Olympic Bronze.
  Conclusion, the more ppl we can get swimming, the better our charges will be, the better our successes, the more we can get into Intl meets, and the more successes we will have nationally. The glory is in those little successes and the mental aspect associated and not necessarily in the weight of Gold. Again, it's just my opinion, since now, I just start seeing what involved in this sport, hardest thing I ever involved in, proud of my kids for sticking with it. I don't think I could have.

add: dammit, paragraphs  :(, ok, I tried to fix dat
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 11:13:47 AM by maxg »

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2017, 06:16:04 PM »
As I said awhile ago..Only IMO, Yuh can't build a big fancy school and that will make people smarter,or a big fancy church and it will make people holy. that being said, Swimming is a whole different animal in sport, prerequisites are like other sports - dedication, hard work, talent - but additional criteria are faith and a lot of time management and life sacrifices.
  Unfortunately as TT has a very small pool of competitive swimmers, the top talented athletes need higher competition and strong environments to develop, which means at some point they will have to immerse themselves in a foreign environment, this is where they will make or break, as the demands on the individual are very high, and expensive. We can get around some of the finances with a scholarship, yet to maintain this, the academics has to be strong. For swimmers, during their prime years, it's Pool-Class-Pool-homework-sleep(at present -24hrs/dy, 6-7 dys a week).
   Thus a Olympic training facilty will not develop our top swimmers for the higher levels of the sport, as much as it may increase the pool of young swimmers and participants through proper marketing and drawing power of hosting higher level meets and attracting foreign clubs/events to utilize the facility. The benefits of this facility as per Olympic glory may not be apparent in our lifetime, but to the population, with proper administration/management and greater public awareness, may (or may not) have an immediate impact on the sport and maybe even the society. Our main sports are cricket and football, and track, as kids we can get glory in the school yard, in the lane, small goal, lamp-post to lamp-post, windball...but to swim competively, one has to travel to the very few pools in the country.
   On the other hand, my surburbian town has 28 public pools in the area, 2 National ranked clubs with Olympic sized pools since 50years with thousands membership, all striving for the same Olympic dream, our 36 Carifta representatives strive for. In that 50 years with thousands registered, every year, our club claim 19 Olympians - some of the claims are from when the ppl pass through the club as kids - of that 19 maybe 1 or 2 attained a final, and 1 made a Olympic Bronze.
  Conclusion, the more ppl we can get swimming, the better our charges will be, the better our successes, the more we can get into Intl meets, and the more successes we will have nationally. The glory is in those little successes and the mental aspect associated and not necessarily in the weight of Gold. Again, it's just my opinion, since now, I just start seeing what involved in this sport, hardest thing I ever involved in, proud of my kids for sticking with it. I don't think I could have.

add: dammit, paragraphs  :(, ok, I tried to fix dat

To sum up what you said, T&T youth swimmers can only reach national or maybe regional success anything further depends on US college intervention to further develop their talent. This simply means we have to depend on the American college system to develop our talent to its fullest potential, simply means we should keep low standards for swimming compared to other sports with expectations for our swimmers, and we should continue to hope and pray to have a Bovell or Carter in every generation to have one chance for swimming respect at the International stage. Ah I understand now

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2017, 12:18:24 AM »
not really, in the near future, but down the road if we can attract more interest and PARTICIPANTS as well as committed parents, financially as well as timewise(dedication) we may have a more competitive group, in spite of the ONE world class pool. We do not at present have low standards at all, and there is no room for that in any sports, but yes, we hope an pray for someone(or a few) to excel at the end of the day, that is the nature of this sport. It is why the Stars could dominate for so long, very few are able to challenge.
However that day where we can produce a challenger (a la Bovell and Carter) may not be in our time, is all. The TT coaches are good and work their tail off, but they themselves could only play with the cards they are dealt. We don't have a lot of pools, physically or demographically and that is fact we must live with. Getting one swimmer to compete at International level is a great accomplishment in any part of the world, for TT it's just short of amazing, if not unheard of. Very few outside of the sport would understand, and those within, don't expect a TTian at all.

add: many Intl non-American athlete do come to North America for training and competition, that may not be accessible to them if they stay home. Same for Track.(or football in Europe) They have to go where they will be measured, pushed,tested and improve.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 12:28:04 AM by maxg »

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2017, 04:39:00 AM »

add: many Intl non-American athlete do come to North America for training and competition, that may not be accessible to them if they stay home. Same for Track.(or football in Europe) They have to go where they will be measured, pushed,tested and improve.

Difference here according to you is TnT swimming success on the International stage is dependent on our swimmers being developed in the US college system or being developed abroad. That is NOT the same in Football, Track and Cricket. We had several athletes in the past who proved this point in these sporting disciplines.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 04:42:01 AM by Sando prince »

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2017, 09:21:07 AM »
Not solely dependent on US college system. Besides, not every college age athlete can get into the higher college system and compete, there is an academic criteria. The other sports I referenced is dependent on where the higher competition is. In swimming the Americans have introduced a lot of cross country Grand Prix, where non-college and graduates can compete and test. Our cricketers can develop right at home, but can make a living elsewhere. Every competition or event outside of the majors (eg worlds,Olympics) is usually deemed training and development. But my main point is, because we have a Olympic pool, do not expect a slew of Olympic swimmers next Olympics, that's all. This is not for argument , or underachieving or anything like that, it is a fact of swimming. Very few attain the pinnacle of the sport, very many (includes, coaches and parents as well as swimmers) invest a lot and work there tails off. Due to the ROI many rather not. My personal gain is seeing a couple outstanding young ppl develop in my eyes, which helps me not reflect on the lack of financial reward, especially when they only make, first reserve.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 09:32:05 AM by maxg »

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2017, 09:25:54 AM »
Not solely dependent on US college system. Besides, not every college age athlete can get into the higher college system and compete, there is an academic criteria. The other sports I referenced is dependent on where the higher competition is. In swimming the Americans have introduced a lot of cross country Grand Prix, where non-college and graduates can compete and test. Our cricketers can develop right at home, but can make a living elsewhere. Every competition or event outside of the majors (eg worlds,Olympics) is usually deemed training and development. But my main point is, because we have a Olympic pool, do not expect a slew of Olympic swimmers next Olympics, that's all.

Right it means the local coaching is poor (although you want to admit otherwise), the recruitment poor, yes poor in several aspects but let us just believe everyone trying their best. We will continue to get the same results and just hope one or two swimmers get developed in the American college system.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2017, 09:34:02 AM »
Sorry, didn't finish, u may want to review what u just quoted and wrote.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2017, 09:46:24 AM »
Nah I good, in the end once we continue doing the same and poor results continue I expect the same ole excuses. And I expect the ole heads to say just be glad we have athlete who dey on the big stage.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2017, 09:56:44 AM »
I know someday, all the youths that god spare will become ole heads and some of them will learn or at least understand, and some will not.  :beermug:

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2018, 09:20:10 PM »
Trinidad & Tobago Newsday
Stephon Nicholas

Carter ‘flies’ to Commonwealth silver for TT

Trinidad and Tobago's Dylan Carter reacts after placing second in the Men's 50m Butterfly final at the Commonwealth Games today, The Optus Aquatics Centre, Gold Coast, Australia.
Trinidad and Tobago got its first Commonwealth Games medal on day two of action today as swimmer Dylan Carter took silver in a thrilling Men's 50m butterfly final at The Optus Aquatics Centre, Gold Coast, Australia.

Carter, 22, watched by his mother Tracy and his sister, touched the wall in 23.67 seconds, missing the gold by .30 of a second. South Africa's Chad Le Close, who led for the majority of the race despite a slow reaction, won in 23.37, with his compatriot Ryan Coetzee claiming the bronze in 23.73.

Carter, quick off the blocks, swam an almost excellent race and held his pace among the leaders to ensure he came out with a medal and make TT proud. The 2016 Olympian continues to impress as this country's next swimming star.

add: going into 100 free semifinals 3rd ranked
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 09:23:52 PM by maxg »

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2018, 07:42:44 PM »

Dylan continues to smash national records, another one at the CAC games!  :beermug:

https://socamusictv.blogspot.com/2018/07/dylan-carter-crushes-4th-fastest-50-fly.html

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Dylan Carter Thread
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2021, 01:54:42 PM »

How many in here been following Dylan recent races? the man is on fire!  :o

This happened today https://tinyurl.com/277prdry

This happened yesterday https://tinyurl.com/4yxb636x

I have a good feeling about this man and what he will do in Tokyo for the Olympics

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Dylan Carter Thread
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2021, 11:08:40 AM »

How many in here been following Dylan recent races? the man is on fire!  :o

This happened today https://tinyurl.com/277prdry

This happened yesterday https://tinyurl.com/4yxb636x

I have a good feeling about this man and what he will do in Tokyo for the Olympics

I read about him everytime. I also hope he can replicate George Bovell feat in Athens!. Good Luck, Dillan.

1]; } ?>