March 28, 2024, 04:39:46 PM

Author Topic: T&T awarded Gold for Beijing Olympics 4x100  (Read 5649 times)

Offline FF

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
T&T awarded Gold for Beijing Olympics 4x100
« on: January 25, 2017, 09:00:53 AM »
Usain Bolt loses one Olympic gold medal as Nesta Carter tests positive
http://m.bbc.com/sport/athletics/38744846

Trinidad & Tobago have now been awarded the 2008 relay gold, with Japan upgraded to silver and Brazil given bronze.

Usain Bolt will have to hand back one of his nine Olympic gold medals after Jamaican team-mate Nesta Carter tested positive for a banned substance.

Carter was part of the Jamaican quartet that won the 4x100m in Beijing in 2008.

His was one of 454 selected doping samples retested by the International Olympic Committee (IOC) last year, and has been found to contain the banned stimulant methylhexaneamine.

Bolt, 30, completed an unprecedented 'triple triple' in Rio last summer.

He won gold in the 100m, 200m and 4x100m relay to add to his successes in the same events in 2008 and 2012.

Carter, 31, was also part of the squad that won the event in London five years ago and helped Jamaica to win the World Championship in 2011, 2013 and 2015.

Trinidad & Tobago have now been awarded the 2008 relay gold, with Japan upgraded to silver and Brazil given bronze.

THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: T&T awarded Gold for Beijing Olympics 4x100
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 09:10:30 AM »
Sell Car Richard ....is house like keshorn to come ! Time to put ah big picture of de relay team in de airport
before carnival

Offline che

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 11:04:55 AM »
Sell Car Richard ....is house like keshorn to come ! Time to put ah big picture of de relay team in de airport
before carnival

:beermug:

Offline che

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 01:11:58 PM »
RT is now our most decorated Olympic athlete with 1 Gold and 2 Silver medals

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2017, 02:58:22 PM »

re: wikiP - Ato Jabari Boldon (born 30 December 1973) is a former athlete from Trinidad and Tobago and four-time Olympic medal winner

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2017, 03:06:44 PM »
I just love when we do things right. . .even if recognition and rewards come later. . .
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline legal alien

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2017, 07:18:27 PM »

re: wikiP - Ato Jabari Boldon (born 30 December 1973) is a former athlete from Trinidad and Tobago and four-time Olympic medal winner

I love Boldon, but I think the gold gives Richard Thompson the edge.

Offline ffisback

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2017, 09:56:12 PM »

I love Boldon, but I think the gold gives Richard Thompson the edge.
That's a cheap way to win a medal

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2017, 10:08:37 PM »

More valuable and less expensive than doping.

To be kind, whoever you are, this is easily your DUMBEST post.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 10:36:41 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2017, 10:49:21 PM »

More valuable and less expensive than doping.

To be kind, whoever you are, this is easily your DUMBEST post.

:rotfl:
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline che

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2017, 12:51:37 AM »

I know Ato has four, but I believe that it goes the same way as the medal table. An athlete with 1 Gold is placed higher than one with 5 or 6 silver. This is just my opinion and not meant as a slight to Ato who I believe is our best ever.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2017, 02:52:39 AM »
T&T relay men set for 2008 Olympic gold but Fraternity’s sorry for Bolt.
By Rachael Thomspon-King (Guardian).

It’s not official yet but going on past history, T&T is well poised to gain its third Olympic gold medal sometime in the very near future.

The situation developed yesterday, after the International Olympic Committee (IOC) reported it had disqualified Jamaica’s gold-medal winning 4x100 relay team from the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing, China, after one of their athletes, Nesta Carter, tested positive for methylhexaneamine, a banned stimulant, in re-analysis of samples from the Games.

As a result, the team of Carter, Usain Bolt, Michael Frater and Asafa Powell were stripped of their medals, medallist pins and diplomas.

However, T&T Olympic Committee (TTOC) president Brian Lewis was yesterday cautious in confirming that the local team of Richard Thompson, Keston Bledman, Emmanuel Callender and Marc Burns, who copped silver in 38.06 behind the Jamaicans in the event, will be upgraded.

He said: “In terms of any speculation about T&T being awarded the gold medal, that is very premature at this point in time because the Olympic Committee has not received any official correspondence from the IOC that is specific to T&T relay team.

“What we would have received, like everyone else, is an official press statement from the IOC and a document outlining the decision and the reason for the decision of the disciplinary committee and all those documents are specific to Jamaica.

“It is therefore premature of the TTOC to speculate on any upgrading of the T&T Beijing 2008 Olympic Games men’s 4x100m relay team medals from silver to gold. The IOC has its protocols and procedures in respect of medal upgrades.

“As such, we have taken note of the IOC disciplinary commission decision and official press release. The TTOC will fully cooperate with the IOC and look forward to a quick resolution.”

He added, “It is always a disappointing and an unfortunate situation when an athlete from any country is embroiled in such a situation and, more so, a Caribbean athlete.”

However, the IOC protocol is for the teams finishing second, third and fourth to be upgraded for the event. This would put T&T in the gold medal spot, silver will go to Japan and the bronze to Brazil.

Bledman yesterday expressed his sympathy for Jamaican sprint star Bolt, whose legacy may now be erased, and shared that he didn’t want to win a medal in such a manner.

“It’s gold, so yes I am happy, but I don’t like to win a medal like that. That is like a ‘hand me down,’” Bledman said.

“Bolt is a great athlete. He has proven he is the best in the world and taking that from him, it kind of sucks.”

He added, “Even though we could get gold, we didn’t get that opportunity to hear the anthem played in the Bird’s Nest in Beijing. It’s like I get it...I didn’t win it. I’m feeling bad for Bolt mostly. He is a great athlete.”

Bledman’s teammate, Burns, was in class when the news broke and received a number of messages from individuals on his phone

“I was wondering what was going on. When I checked some messages in between, people were saying congratulations and asking if it was true. It’s only when class was over I heard from a friend what had happened,” Burns told the T&T Guardian.

“I was kind of surprised because we didn’t hear anything about this case for a while. It’s a good feeling to know I now have an Olympic gold to add to my previous awards. However, I must say it’s a bittersweet feeling for me because of the way in which we secured the medals. It also came almost a decade later and so it took away the joy of celebrating with my team and hearing my country’s anthem standing on the podium.

“That aside, I’ve been in track and field since the age of six and I’ve been to four Olympic Games so now nearing the end of my career, I can now say I’m an Olympic gold medallist. It’s like the saying goes. What is for you is for you!”

National Administration for Athletic Associations (NAAA) president Ephraim Serrette took took a similar stance as the TTOC head on the news.

“I do not want to comment on it because we have not gotten any official document on how the disqualification of the Jamaican team will affect our relay team,” Serrette said.

“But it’s nothing to celebrate. The other athletes are being penalised but they didn’t break the rules.”

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2017, 08:59:30 AM »
this cloud have a silver gold lining

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2017, 12:25:31 PM »
Well done TT.

Earned it fair, square and clean.  :beermug: :beermug:
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2017, 04:52:34 AM »
T&T’s relay men call for respect
By Walter Alibey (Guardian).

The IOC’s unfortunate decision to disqualify the Jamaican sprint relay team of the Gold medal it won at the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games, has led calls by the T&T team for more respect from Ministry of Sports officials.

The team of Richard Thompson, Keston Bledman, Emmanuel Callender, Marc Burns and Aaron Armstrong faces the possibility of having their silver medals upgraded to the more prestigious Gold, a decision that will only be confirmed after Nesta Carter, who was tested positive for use of the banned substance methylhexaneamine more than eight years after the race, has said he will challenge the IOC’s ruling through the Court of Arbitration of Sports (CAS). His decision to do so however, can cost him a whopping US$13 million and he has 21 days to signal his appeal.

Yesterday, however a release from Thompson and his teammates was littered with complaints of the horrendous treatment they faced, ranging from broken promises to blatant refusal to re-imburse them for personal finances they used to prepare for international competitions in the past.

According to the release, “As we move forward, what does this medal mean for us, the men who have literally sacrificed our livelihoods to represent T&T. In 2016 we returned our bronze and were given our silver medals. There was a function held for us by the President (meaning Anthony Camona), which we so greatly appreciated. There was a big buzz from the T&T people and media, then there was a follow-up convo that we had with (Sport) Minister Smith regarding retroactive financial compensation as well.”

The release continued: “We were promised in July that something would be done to assure that we were rewarded for our efforts and representing T&T with integrity. There were media releases and pictures taken...and then nothing! We were forgotten about and disappeared to them like magic” members of team TT explained.

They added. “To make matters worse, in trying to prepare for the Rio Olympics, we endured immense struggles to receive elite funding, which was intended to assist us with our Olympic preparation. To this date, I still have not received funding despite several attempts to coordinate with the minister, his assistant and the ministry officials. I spent over $150,000 of my own money, and so did the other members of the 4x100 team to prepare for Rio, which included coaching fees, massages, physical therapy, doctor’s visits, supplements, meals, transportation and flights to competitions. I am now being told that I will be unable to receive any reimbursement.”

The athletes are also calling for repayment of monies spent for their stay at hotels many times a year to come to T&T for meets such as the NAAA National Championships.

The achievements of the T&T 4X100 metres relay men exceeded their performances at the 2008 Olympic Games as they also gave credible performances at the World Championships, Commonwealth Games, World Relays, Central American & Caribbean Games and PanAmerican Games and the recent Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro Brazil where they were disqualified in the Finals.

They are contending that while they do not want to sound bitter or ungrateful for some of the luxuries afforded to them in the past, they felt compelled to illustrate to the people, the obstacles they face in order to perform against the best in the world.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2017, 10:20:31 PM »
9 years after.......we still taking it.......congrats tnt.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2017, 10:55:41 PM »
9 years after.......we still taking it.......congrats tnt.
been hiding?
Whey u been
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2017, 03:43:03 AM »
Thompson hits back at Ministry accusation
By Kwame Laurence (Express).

Richard “Torpedo” Thompson has hit back at the Ministry of Sport and Youth Affairs, following an accusation from an anonymous Ministry source, last week, that the three-time Olympic medallist was among the athletes who had not complied with requirements for Elite Athlete Assistance Programme (EAAP) funding.

The unnamed Ministry official was responding to Thompson's Facebook post in which he expressed gratitude for the “outpouring of love” following the news of Trinidad and Tobago's expected upgrade to gold in the 2008 Olympic Games men's 4x100 metres relay as a result of the disqualification of drug-tainted Jamaican sprinter Nesta Carter. The post also highlighted broken promises from the powers that be.

Thompson was back on Facebook, today. The T&T track star defended his own position on the EAAP accusation, and criticised Minister Darryl Smith for not responding to his request for a meeting to discuss the funding issues faced by athletes:

“Here we go again! It was brought to my attention that an 'anonymous' source from the Ministry of Sport (quite possibly the same person who has never heard of Marc Burns) made a statement in response to mine recently. This source was reportedly 'not authorised to make a statement on the issue'. However, still proceeded to state that the athletes were not compliant with the format for receiving funding.

“To begin with, the method in which we submitted our information to receive funding to prepare for 2016 was no different to the past EIGHT years. People like Kelly-Ann Baptiste, Emmanuel Callender, Keston Bledman, Marc Burns, as well as members of the 4x400m London Olympics Bronze medal team have all followed the precedented procedure.

“I understand that based on questionable actions (unrelated to the athletes) from previous administrations, that this current administration has to avoid a recurrence of such issues. However, in order for there to be a smooth transition, and fair overlap for the athletes, a certain level of discretion and common sense has to be exercised.

“In order to be reimbursed the money spent to prepare for the 2016 season, we are being asked to present receipts from two years ago (2014-15). Had this been the procedure that we followed for close to a decade, or had there been some sort of indication that physical receipts were going to be demanded, we would have kept them and gladly turned them in.

“When our minds should have been in training mode and preparing for Rio, they were directly derailing our focus with issues that should not have been. The Ministry has a system in place that is intended to help and facilitate athletes representing the country, but instead we feel as though they are against us and have become directly vindictive in the process of trying to stiff arm us.

“The sensible thing for them to do would have been to acknowledge the fact that there was a different system prior to their governance and facilitate our preparations with warning that there was going to be a different procedure being introduced moving forward, and failure to comply with that would result in ineligibility to receive funds. Simple.

“Instead, they have made this into an Administration vs Athlete issue and MANY athletes across many different sporting disciplines have been left stranded. Contrary to popular belief, several Olympians/ National athletes do not have contracts, and depend solely on the Government's assistance to prepare. When funding comes late, or not at all, the chances of having the success that the entire country expects are slim to none.

“Several of our T&T athletes face these challenges and are placed at an automatic disadvantage. Many hockey, rugby, swimming, judo, cycling, table tennis, women's football and other sports are afraid to speak out about their challenges to the media because they are afraid to be black listed and not receive any funding at all. But how do we expect to see progress or greatness internationally when these people are making phone call after phone call and sending email after email with not even the courtesy of a reply?

“Both Marc Burns and Ade Alleyne-Forte have not received funding since 2013. These are both London 2012 Olympic medallists. In efforts to mount the podium again in 2016 they reached out to the government in Olympic desperation to no avail. Alleyne-Forte was forced to find a night job in order to cover some of his very basic needs and stayed by Jarrin Solomon's Dad because he couldn't afford to pay to rent. This is an Olympic medallist people! And also someone who had recent success as a part of the 2016 World indoor Championship 4x400m Bronze medal team.

“One has to question where the funding allocated for elite athletes has gone seeing that the vast majority of us have not received it. Maybe the “anonymous” source should address this issue.

“I will also make it very clear that I have zero political agenda and that this post is not to try to make the current Government look bad. I have represented the country long enough to see the flawed system under both the PNM and UNC and have actually expressed my disapproval under both governing bodies. But I have had enough of our athletes being taken advantage of, especially when there's the level of criticism as there was by the nation subsequent to Rio.

“In November I messaged the Minister via WhatsApp with a humble request to come to the office to have a conversation about these same issues. No reply! (Of which I have proof). Mind you, this is the day after I was asked to accompany him at the track for a media release. Pictures, handshakes, the usual politicking...then Casper came into effect.

“I do not want to hear from any more “anonymous” sources from the Ministry. This is what we have a minister for, to address issues like these, not delegate responsibility. I have tried to cooperate with Minister (Darryl) Smith and his officials without having to make public statements but he has failed to deliver so I'm left with no other choice.

“This is already very lengthy, so I'll leave it at this. Both the athletes and administration have the same goals for our country. Let us find a way to achieve these results with as little complications as possible. This can only be accomplished through proper communication. I patiently await hearing from the relevant individuals.”

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2017, 03:24:13 AM »
Sports Ministry officials ‘vindictive’—Thompson
T&T Guardian Reports.

“Both the athletes and administration have the same goals for our country. Let us find a way to achieve these results with as little complications as possible. This can only be accomplished through proper communication,” said Thompson yesterday, who took to social media (Facebook) to vent some of his and his fellow athletes frustration about a statement made by an official at the Ministry, who allegedly stated that the athletes were not compliant with the format for receiving funding.

“To begin with, the method in which we submitted our information to receive funding to prepare for 2016 was no different to the past eight years. People like Kelly-Ann Baptiste, Emmanuel Callender, Keston Bledman, Marc Burns, as well as members of the 4x400 metres London Olympics bronze medal team have all followed the precedented procedure,” said Thompson, the national record-holder in the 100m, with a personal best of 9.82.

He continued: “I understand that based on questionable actions (unrelated to the athletes) from previous administrations, that this current administration has to avoid a recurrence of such issues. However, in order for there to be a smooth transition, and fair overlap for the athletes, a certain level of discretion and common sense has to be exercised.”

According to Thompson, in order to be reimbursed money spent to prepare for last season, the national athletes are to present receipts from two years ago (2014-15).

“Had this been the procedure that we followed for close to a decade, or had there been some sort of indication that physical receipts were going to be demanded, we would have kept them and gladly turned them in.”

Thompson relented that while they should have been in training mode and preparing for Rio, athletes’ focus were derailed with issues that they should not have been.

“The Ministry has a system in place that is intended to help and facilitate athletes representing the country, but instead we feel as though they are against us and have become directly vindictive in the process of trying to stiff arm us.

“The sensible thing for them to do would have been to acknowledge the fact that there was a different system prior to their governance and facilitate our preparations with warning that there was going to be a different procedure being introduced moving forward, and failure to comply with that would result in ineligibility to receive funds. Simple!

“Instead, they have made this into an administration versus athlete issue and many athletes across many different sporting disciplines have been left stranded. Contrary to popular belief, several Olympians/national athletes do not have contracts, and depend solely on the government’s assistance to prepare. When funding comes late, or not at all, the chances of having the success that the entire country expects are slim to none.”

Thompson made specific references to sprinters Marc Burns and Ade Alleyne-Forte, who have not received funding since 2013.

“These are both London 2012 Olympic medalists. In efforts to mount the podium again in 2016 they reached out to the government in Olympic desperation to no avail. Alleyne-Forte was forced to find a night job in order to cover some of his very basic needs and stayed by Jarrin Solomon’s dad because he couldn’t afford to pay rent.”

Thompson indicated that he tried to make contact with Sports Minister Darryl Smith late last year but to no avail.

“In November, I messaged the Minister via WhatsApp with a humble request to come to the office to have a conversation about these same issues. No reply! Mind you, this is the day after I was asked to accompany him at the track for a media release. Pictures, hand shakes, the usual ‘politicking’. Then Casper came into effect.

“I do not want to hear from any more ‘anonymous’ sources from the Ministry. This is what we have a Minister for, to address issues like these, not delegate responsibility. I have tried to cooperate with Minister Smith and his officials without having to make public statements but he has failed to deliver so I’m left with no other choice.”

The Minister was contacted yesterday, who advised that he was still attending a conference and to contact National Association of Athletics Administrations (NAAA) president Ephraim Serrette who will provide the whole story. When Serrette was contacted he said that he had no comment and that this is an issue for the Ministry to resolve.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2017, 06:39:45 AM »
The Minister was contacted yesterday, who advised that he was still attending a conference and to contact National Association of Athletics Administrations (NAAA) president Ephraim Serrette who will provide the whole story. When Serrette was contacted he said that he had no comment and that this is an issue for the Ministry to resolve.

Joke ting!

Offline jusbless

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2017, 01:25:39 PM »
Is either athletes get the money before or after. Cause if the government is giving money before. Then athletes should not be rewarded when they win medals. Cause it was paid for upfront. I understand funding for alleyne forte who is not under a professional contract. Why fund someone who is already funded by their contract. It is like helping the rich when the poor athletes that need the assistance gets none.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2017, 05:18:33 AM »
Sports Ministry unhappy with athletes’ criticism.
T&T Newsday

THE MINISTRY of Sport and Youth Affairs has responded to the criticism it has been receiving over the past week, concerning national elite athlete funding.

After the Trinidad and Tobago men’s 4x100-metre 2008 Beijing Olympic relay team learned that they will be upgraded to gold, there has been criticism from national athletes with regards to elite funding and the availability of Sports Minister Darryl Smith to address their concerns.

Richard Thompson and Emmanuel Callender, two members of the 2008 relay team, both stated their displeasure with funding issues facing national athletes in recent years.

Thompson reminded the Government to remember its promise of retroactive compensation for their upgraded 2012 London Olympics silver medals following the disqualification of second- placed USA for a doping violation.

He also hit out at the red tape athletes are forced to deal with to access funding.

In a press release yesterday, the Ministry of Sport and Youth Affairs responded by saying, “The Ministry finds it regrettable that some athletes have decided to take to social media to air their concerns, instead of seeking more details about how they can ensure compliance with the process to access elite funding, which has not changed since its inception.

“Further, with the drafting and consultations for the National Sport Policy ongoing, the concept of elite funding and reward for athletic achievement will be included so as to formalise the Government’s philosophy and approach to sporting excellence and to high performance sport.” The National Sport Policy will alleviate any doubt in the minds of athletes when they achieve success, as the sport policy is expected to clearly state how athletes will be rewarded.

The release further stated that the success of TT ’s athletes was part of the reason the Eilte Athlete Assistance Policy was implemented.

“The Ministry of Sport and Youth Affairs wishes to inform the public that Trinidad and Tobago’s success at the international level, particularly in track and field, was one of the motivations behind the Elite Athlete Assistance Policy (EAAP) in 2006.

The Cabinet-approved Policy led to a formal mechanism, using a tiered system, to contribute to the preparation and continued improvement of the country’s multisport games medallists and world-ranked athletes.

The applications of teams and of athletes in non-Olympic sports are considered on a case-by-case basis to ensure that the financial support is available to a wide range of athletes who meet the criteria and have the potential to attain world-ranking or other benchmarks in their sport.

There are currently 33 athletes in eight disciplines on the EAAP roster, who have received funding for the last fiscal year 2015/16.

“The Policy clearly states that the payment of grants are subject to the availability of funds in any given year.

Despite this and other prevailing constraints, however, for the quadrennial period 2012-2016, the Ministry has disbursed in excess of TT $24 million to athletes and teams in 13 disciplines.

Predictably, and given the large number of elite athletes, track and field received 73% of that sum, followed by cycling (8.1%) and swimming (7.7%). Additionally, the Ministry also contributed TT $996,950.00 to the Trinidad and Tobago Olympic Committee’s Olympic Preparation Fund in 2016 which supported a pre-Olympic Camp.

“Also in 2016, the Ministry’s implementation arm, the Sports Company of Trinidad and Tobago assisted 11 Olympians in seven sports with direct reimbursement or payment of expenses (travel, accommodation, medical, coaching) to a total of just over TT $600,000.

This does not include a range of free services which has been accessed by 135 plus athletes during 2015-16, such as psychology, nutrition, gym access, massage therapy and recovery, through its Elite Development and Performance Unit (EDPU).

“Some of the notable athletes on the programme for the period 2012-2016, were Keshorn Walcott, Cleopatra Borel, Andrew Lewis, Thompson, Njisane Phillip and Nyoshia Cain.”

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2017, 11:06:40 AM »
This is what happen when we depend entirely on govt for support. We expect the govt to do everything. But there are constraints when the economy is doing badly. I don't see anything changing in the near or far future.

Offline choko

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2017, 10:58:24 AM »
Generally I agree with you. However, there are fairly decent incentives for corporate sponsorships based on tax relief. A major problem is when a government entity is part of the sponsorship that entity wants pride of place. So it crowds out the value for the private sponsors.

Unless there is a personal connection any approach to the private sector usually results in a derisory offer. The situation is not helped by the fact that the entertainment sector outside of sports is seen as better value as well as many Marketing and Public Relations departments being headed by women (I love ❤️ them) who do not understand the value of sports particularly to men and boys. The same situation obtains in schools which are now dominated by female teachers and principals/administrators.

Finally, many organizations tend to view sponsorship as an unnecessary expense which they are quick to cut and consistently see sports as the least of the apostles in terms of importance in the Corporate Social Responsibility scorecard.

1]; } ?>