March 28, 2024, 02:54:37 AM

Author Topic: Jan-Michael Williams Thread  (Read 4641 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Jan-Michael Williams Thread
« on: February 20, 2017, 06:22:23 AM »
Jan-Michael denies Sports Minister comments.
T&T Guardian Reports.

Central FC goalkeeper Jan-Michael Williams has denied reports he criticised Minister of Sports Darryl Smith for not acknowledging his club for their achievements over the years.

“My statements obviously were incorrectly interpreted,” Williams pointed out in an immediate response through T&TFA media officer Shaun Fuentes.

The custodian, who is on a 27-man squad selected by national coach Dennis Lawrence to begin training tomorrow for the FIFA World Cup Qualifiers, was quoted as saying that Smith was disrespecting professional football in T&T.

In his comments after last Sunday’s T&T Pro Bowl semifinals, Williams said “When we won our second successive Caribbean Club Championship last year, we received no recognition from Minister Smith. It was the highest profile sporting achievement by any team from T&T in 2016, yet we didn’t even receive a letter of congratulations.”

Williams’ disappointment was also echoed by team managing director Brent Sancho who claimed the minister has refused to acknowledge the pro league clubs by refusing to meet with them individually, yet has met with T&T Super League teams to give his support.

However, despite Sancho’s comments in January, the Sport Company (Sportt) which is the implementation arm of the Ministry of Sports met with the Pro League teams and among the discussions were the monthly subventions of TT$50,000 per month grant to help off-set club expenses which includes salaries.

Williams in his release yesterday also said, “Let me first say that I am not one to play politics with the game that I love, neither do I have interest in either attacking the Ministry of Sport or the Sport Minister. My name has been used a lot in the past by others to get their various points across. Contrary to what was previously reported,my main focus after the game was to get mentally prepared for the final which would be tough regardless of the opposition. My statements obviously were incorrectly interpreted.”

He explained further that, “Moving forward, my main focus is winning the Pro Bowl then preparing for World Cup qualifiers in March. I also hope to do my best so that my name is seen in the media in the future for sporting achievements only.”

Only recently the Central team won its third major title in the top flight domestic football league, after only four years of being involved. They defeated San Juan Jabloteh 1-0 to claim the $1 million cash prize and will be looking for another major title in the pro bowl which carries a winners-take-all cheque of TT$100,000. Sancho noted that Smith has been supportive of super league clubs although they have not yet been formally ratified by the TTFA.

Sancho pointed out that Central FC is the only club from T&T to win the CFU Caribbean Club Championship back to back while also winning their domestic league. “It’s an incredible achievement especially when you recognise that Central has only one foreign player. We won the CFU with a 100 per cent local team.”

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Jan-Michael Williams Thread
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2017, 07:32:55 PM »
Jan-Michael Williams signs with Honduran club, Juticalpa FC

The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2017, 02:24:56 AM »
I thought that his performance in the USA match was quite commendable and I wondered if he might generate some interest in the MLS. Once he is being pushed to better his keeping, I am happy. I do think Jan could work on his fitness a bit, he's always had the potential to be a really world class keeper and I feel like despite being the clear best from our country in the last decade or so, I do think he has underperformed in the context of his true ability. I wish him God's speed.
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Offline davyjenny1

• duaneoconnor-tt.com
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2017, 03:12:17 PM »
Jan is a good keeper and i don't know why some on here look for words of negativity to cast him down. Am sure he knows what he needs to do in order to excel.   
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 12:47:40 AM by davyjenny1 »
The difference between the possible and
the impossible lies in a person determination.

Your Knowledge is directly related to your potential income.
 http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 03:59:32 AM »
Jan-Michael Williams agrees move to Honduran side Juticalpa.
ttproleague.com.

Trinidad and Tobago goalkeeper Jan-Michael Williams will join Honduras first division club Juticalpa later this month after agreeing to a two-year deal.

Williams, who spent most of his career at W Connection, had stints in Belgium and Hungary between 2007 and 2009 with White Star Woluwé and Ferencvárosi, respectively.

The 32-year-old former Pro League player of the year said, via a media release by the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA), that he was relieved to earn another contract abroad.

“Finally (…) I have been trying for some time to go back outside and play at a higher level,” said the former St. Ann’s Rangers and Central FC shot-stopper.

“The call came from Honduras and I’ve already signed the contract so it’s just about getting out there and starting pre-season with the club. The deal has been on the table for a while and they made the offer a couple weeks ago.

“I am looking forward to [this move] as a good opportunity for me to continue my career outside and to continue to grow [as a player].”

Williams had a brief stint with Rangers in 2013 after parting ways with Connection, a team he had great success at. He later joined Central FC, the rival club of Connection, in the same year and went on to help the Couva Sharks to three consecutive Pro League titles.

He was set to represent North East Stars this season after splitting ways with Central, but will instead don the ‘keeper strip of Juticalpa in the highest league of Honduran football.

Williams’ immediate focus, however, is helping Trinidad and Tobago rebound from last Thursday’s 2-0 loss at the United States in FIFA 2018 World Cup qualifying. The Warriors, bottom of the CONCACAF Hex, are against hosts Costa Rica in San Jose on Tuesday.

“…we need to buckle down and get some more points on the board,” said the T&T first choice ‘keeper. “…obviously we are very disappointed with the result against the U.S. but we’ve had a couple training sessions (after) the match and the focus is coming back. We have to push on from here.

“We have to go in and do exactly what the coaching staff is asking us to do. We need to be confident, eliminate errors, and get on with the task at hand in Costa Rica.”

Williams also said that Warriors have the ability to adapt and learn quickly and grow under current coach Dennis Lawrence.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 04:52:40 AM »
Williams in good form after Honduran pre-season.
By Shaun Fuentes (Guardian).

National Senior Team goalkeeper Jan Michael Williams has described his first month in Honduras a learning curve as both he and defender Daneil Cyrus seek to establish themselves as regular starters for Juticalpa FC.

The T&T duo arrived at the club around similar times in July, heading straight into the team’s pre-season activities.

“Things have been really good so far for both myself and Cyrus. We started off a bit slowly but that was somewhat expected with the language barrier, the culture and the intensity of the league here,” Williams said.

“The pre-season training was tough but necessary for us to be able to cope with the physicality of the league. From what we have seen so far from both our team and the big guns such as CD Marathon, Real Espana and Olimpia, we have a challenging yet potentially prosperous and successful season ahead,” Williams added.

Both players are expected to feature in the T&T squad for the September 1st World Cup qualifier against Honduras at the Ato Boldon Stadium in Couva.

Offline Dutty Love

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2018, 12:22:38 PM »
It gives me no pleasure in bringing this to the forum, but dahis what we are here for. Transparency.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/whXiuzmHeOU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/whXiuzmHeOU</a>

Watch from 1:57. It's not conclusive from this footage but that looked to be a potentially close shout for offside.

I have doubts that do not favour the forward, but that aside ... Jan got this twisted horribly.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 12:25:30 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2018, 12:54:19 PM »
I have doubts that do not favour the forward, but that aside ... Jan got this twisted horribly

This is at least the second time he has done something like this since he has been at Juticalpa.  Watching too much of Ederson.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2018, 10:13:51 AM »
Goalkeeper Jan-Michael Williams has signed with Guatemala Second Division club, CSD Sacachispas. Nicknamed Los Muteros, the club is based in the city of Chiquimula and campaigns in Group B of the Primera División de Ascenso. Home games are played at Estadio Las Victorias.

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2018, 11:14:37 AM »
Goalkeeper Jan-Michael Williams has signed with Guatemala Second Division club, CSD Sacachispas. Nicknamed Los Muteros, the club is based in the city of Chiquimula and campaigns in Group B of the Primera División de Ascenso. Home games are played at Estadio Las Victorias.

Guatemala 2ND division? Things that bad? We need a goalie at least playing in the USL/NASL. I guess it's time to search for another keeper.

Offline Dutty Love

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2018, 12:48:09 PM »
NASL doesn’t exist anymore and Guatemala Second division still pays better than TT Pro League

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2018, 01:28:27 PM »
Guatemala 2ND division? Things that bad? We need a goalie at least playing in the USL/NASL. I guess it's time to search for another keeper.
Ranjitsingh, but we doh seem very interested.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2018, 05:36:28 AM »

Sure he go make money with that 2nd div Guat contract than the one he had in Pro League. Go for the few extra dollars yes

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2018, 09:26:02 AM »
Ranjitsingh, but we doh seem very interested.
Its as if even here people starting to forget his name smh

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Jan-Michael Williams credits Wanderers coach Hart with reigniting his career
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2019, 12:35:51 PM »
Ready to retire, Jan-Michael Williams credits Wanderers coach Hart with reigniting his career
CANPL.CA Staff

Jan-Michael Williams nearly called it quits following the biggest disappointment of his career: Failing to qualify for last summer’s World Cup.

Trinidad and Tobago fell short in CONCACAF’s final round of World Cup qualifying, the closest Williams, who has appeared in goal 81 times for the Soca Warriors, had gotten to his ultimate dream.

“I was close to retirement,” Williams admitted to CanPL.ca. “Then (HFX Wanderers coach Stephen Hart) got the job in Halifax.”

Hart managed T&T for three years, leading them to that elusive “Hex” appearance.

He and Williams had kept in touch ever since.

“Stephen said to me, ‘Ah, you’re crazy’. He thought I had way more to give,” Williams explained.

Williams eventually thought better of folding up his goalkeeping gloves.

The 34-year-old was one of a quartet of T&T talent Hart signed earlier this month.

Williams has spent the majority of his career in Trinidad, with short stints in Belgium, Hungary and Guatemala.

“It’s a long way for me to go, but it’s a long way for him too, what with setting me up and everything,” Williams said. “I just want to show (Hart) gratitude.”

Williams clearly thinks highly of Hart, calling him a “wonderful man-manager.” He says he has enjoyed some of the best football of his career under the CPL’s most experienced coach.

“Just spending time with Stephen on the national team, it shows how it made me a better player,” Williams said. “We were at an all-time low when Hart came and he took us to great heights. He just knows how to get the best out of his players.”

But, how?

“I don’t want to give away his secrets to other coaches in the CPL,” Williams chuckled.

Williams faced Hart’s Canada in a 2-0 defeat in 2012 and remembers being impressed.

“When I shook (Hart’s) hand after the match I thought ‘maybe we should have a coach like this.’

“The way he set up his team and how he managed from his sidelines impressed me,” he added.

Still, Williams understands he’s set to, uh, have his hands full as a goalkeeper in a new league and country.

“From what I’ve seen so far, the league has attracted some very good players,” Williams said. “My concern are the players I’m not familiar with. I’ll have to sit down, do some video review and go from there.

“The ones that don’t have too much history, there isn’t much I can do in the way of homework, things they do will be new to me.

“At the end of the day, I think I have two to three more years of playing the game,” he finished. “I can still hit my peak, I don’t think I have yet.”

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Halifax keen To sign Jan-Michael Williams as Goalkeeper Coach
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2019, 06:02:44 PM »
Halifax keen To sign Jan-Michael Williams as Goalkeeper Coach
By John Jacques (Northern Tribune)

The Halifax Wanderers have begun to announce their players for the 2020 season, confirming that 23-year-old goalkeeper Christian Oxner and Trinidad and Tobago international Akeem Garcia would be back for another year.

The rise of Christian Oxner ultimately ousted veteran international goalkeeper Jan-Michael Williams from the starting spot, with many speculating that the Wanderers wouldn’t be keen to use one of its seven international roster spots on a second-choice goalkeeper come 2020.

During a chat on the From Aways podcast, Halifax Wanderers Founder and President Derek Martin has revealed that while the club agrees with this sentiment, it still wants Jan-Michael Williams back as a member of the coaching staff.

"While it doesn’t work for us to have an international keeper on our roster and Christian has certainly earned the right to be our starting goalkeeper, and going into the season with that as the intent, we’d love to have Jan back as part of the club."

Following the departure of assistant coach Michael Hunter – who provided double duty with both goalkeeping coaching and video analysis – the club will need someone to help Oxner keep developing, along with whichever second-choice goalkeeper the Wanderers bring in for 2020.

Martin is hopeful the solution to that conundrum lies in a familiar face.

"We are talking to Jan, and we’re trying to bring jan because we really like him as a person, and he represents what we want the club to be, which is good people in the community and people that care about helping others and want to teach young players get better. i’m hoping that he can make that work. he’s got his own situation to work out, getting married and has young children, if we can make it all work it would be fantastic."

As the discussion went on, Martin revealed that it was how Williams reacted to losing his starting spot that ultimately convinced him that the former Trinidad and Tobago captain would be an ideal coach: he simply accepted his situation and continued to help his younger counterpart develop:

"The sign of a true professional: he was disappointed that it wasn’t working out for him the way that he had hoped, but he still understood that he had a great role to play to help with young guy who was playing above expectations to say hey, this guy has got potential, and i’m going to help this guy become even better than he is now, and we owe him a debt of gratitude for that, because he dealt with it the way you hope someone would deal with it."

Since the Canadian Premier League has roster requirements that encourage the signing of domestic players – and young ones, at that – it’s important that clubs still retain veteran players who can help these domestic products develop by listening to players with experience overseas.

While there are rumours that the league may be instigating a new international roster rule which could limit the number of older internationals in the league, it’s clear that players like Jan-Michael Williams have a lot to offer young domestic talent:

"One thing I’ll always give Jan credit for is that he embraced the role of being a mentor to Christian, and coached him, and gave him all of his time and all of his knowledge, and helped him develop. That’s one of the beauties that these international players can bring to these Canadian guys, is really help them understand how to be professional, how to get better, and how to develop."

During the end of the coaching segment of the podcast, Martin confirmed that the club expects no further changes in regards to coaching staff if Williams signs on: the club remains fully committed to head coach Stephen Hart, while Derek King will retain his position as an assistant coach. The club has already brought in a new video and data analytics replacement to take over Hunter’s duties in that regard.

Whether there’s enough space in the staff salary cap to retain the services of Williams, of course, remains to be seen.

With the Wanderers already releasing the likes of Elliot Simmons, Tomasz Skublak, Ndzemdzela Langwa, and Kodai Iida, there’s a large rebuild in the works to ensure the east coast club doesn’t finish in dead last next season. To that end, Martin says fans can expect around fifteen confirmed player signings by the time the calendar year flips to 2020.

With preseason training due to begin in March of next year, the club will need to have the majority of its new roster sorted by that time.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Jan-Michael Williams set to retire from football
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2019, 10:22:04 AM »
Jan-Michael Williams set to retire from football
By Gyasi Merrique (T&T Guardian)

Trinidad and To­ba­go goal­keep­er Jan-Michael Williams has an­nounced plans to re­tire from pro­fes­sion­al foot­ball.

“I think I am call­ing it a day,” Williams said yes­ter­day while ap­pear­ing on the Jug­gle foot­ball show on Guardian Me­dia Lim­it­ed’s Slam 100.5fm. “I have played for the na­tion­al team for 14 or 15 years but I think from the be­gin­ning of next year I am re­tir­ing from not on­ly in­ter­na­tion­al foot­ball with the na­tion­al team but from com­pet­i­tive foot­ball on the whole.”

Williams, 35, has ac­cu­mu­lat­ed a wealth of ex­pe­ri­ence rep­re­sent­ing sev­er­al clubs in Trinidad and To­ba­go, Hun­gary, Hon­duras, Guatemala and Cana­da and has been a se­nior in­ter­na­tion­al for T&T since 2003 when he was hand­ed his de­but at age of 18 by then-coach Stu­art Charles-Fevri­er in a friend­ly in­ter­na­tion­al against Venezuela.

His 81st and fi­nal ap­pear­ance for the na­tion­al team came in Sep­tem­ber 2017, start­ing in goal as T&T were de­feat­ed 2-1 by Hon­duras in a World Cup qual­i­fi­er at the Ato Boldon Sta­di­um in Cou­va.

Most re­cent­ly, Williams played a to­tal of 15 match­es for Hal­i­fax Wan­der­ers FC in the in­au­gur­al Cana­di­an Pre­mier League. Hal­i­fax is coached by for­mer So­ca War­riors man­ag­er Stephen Hart.

A re­cent­ly pub­lished ar­ti­cle in a Cana­di­an news­pa­per re­vealed that while Wan­der­ers were not in­clined to re-sign the vet­er­an and use up one of their lim­it­ed in­ter­na­tion­al ros­ter spots, Wan­der­ers founder and pres­i­dent Derek Mar­tin was con­sid­er­ing bring­ing Williams back as a mem­ber of the coach­ing staff.

Williams al­so rep­re­sent­ed T&T 22 times at youth lev­el, spread across the na­tion­al un­der-17 and un­der-20 teams and he al­so rep­re­sent­ed the na­tion­al un­der-23 team nu­mer­ous times. Williams starred dur­ing this coun­try’s host­ing of the 2001 FI­FA Un­der-17 World Cup but was an un­used sub­sti­tute in all of T&T’s three match­es at that tour­na­ment.

When asked about his next move on the Jug­gle show yes­ter­day, Williams re­vealed that Hal­i­fax “would have some an­nounce­ments to make” with­in the com­ing week.

He al­so stat­ed his de­sire to go in­to a coach­ing ca­reer up­on his com­pet­i­tive re­tire­ment.

“I have had a de­cent ca­reer, I think it could have been bet­ter but it’s time to start giv­ing back now. I am look­ing more to­wards the coach­ing as­pect of things,” he said.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2019, 12:21:56 PM »
Wanderers bring back veteran goalkeeper Jan-Michael Williams as coach
By Gareth Hampshire (hfxwanderersfc.canpl.ca)

The first Wanderers player to captain the team in the Canadian Premier League is coming back to the club as a member of Stephen Hart’s coaching staff.

Jan-Michael Williams, who has made 81 appearances for Trinidad and Tobago’s national team, will be the club’s goalkeeper coach for the 2020 season.

Williams made 12 starts for the Wanderers last season, including backstopping the team to it’s first ever win in the home opener against Forge.

Now 35, the lively Trini who has played around the world, will be leading from the dugout after retiring as a player following a memorable career between the sticks.

“I’m excited to come back. I’ve said from the beginning with the entire set up at the Wanderers Grounds, our pitch and the management and staff, that we have the potential to be the best team in the CPL,” Williams said.

After playing in his home country in addition to Belgium, Hungary, Honduras and Guatemala, the vastly experienced Williams will now work closely with the Wanderers first signing to be announced for next season, Christian Oxner.

“Jan was a huge support for Christian last season and they have a great working relationship. We’re happy to have him back within the structure of the team, albeit in a different role,” said coach Stephen Hart.

The former Soca Warriors keeper said ‘The Ox’ has proved he has a future in the professional game and is determined to help him continue to get better as a keeper.

“Christian put in some really good performances and I think within a year or two he should be knocking on the door of the national team,” Williams said. “He’s like a sponge because he absorbs all the knowledge and information and tries to process it, he really wants to learn.”

It was an injury to Williams that led to Oxner getting a run in goal for the Wanderers last season.

The Halifax-born keeper went on to establish himself as a top class CPL performer in his first year as a pro, with Williams guiding him in training and encouraging him from the sidelines.

“I’m extremely happy. This gives us some continuity. Jan has a great relationship with the players which will be important off the field as well and in the community where he was a fan favourite,” Hart said.

The Wanderers would like to officially thank Michael Hunter, a member of our 2019 coaching staff, for his contributions to our inaugural season and wish him well as he returns to the private sector.

Williams said he’s keen to get started on the next chapter in his career and is thrilled it’s happening in Halifax.

“The people in Halifax are fantastic and anything I can do outside football to help the community I will. As a coach I’m going to be heavy on respect and heavy on discipline because all top players have those qualities,” Williams added.

Now coming back as a coach, the big keeper is one of seven returning players from the club’s first season in the Canadian Premier League.

He’s part of the team’s Trinidad and Tobago quintet along with head coach Stephen Hart, assistant coach Derek King and players Akeem Garcia and Andre Rampersad.

The club are planning a few more signing announcements in the run up to Christmas as the 2020 squad starts to take shape.

Come on you Wanderers!

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2019, 02:30:47 PM »
Well-played, Jan! Solid choice you can build on. Congrats!

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2019, 02:38:52 PM »
Wonderful news. Building even more intl and professional experience . Great job by Hart in assisting our locals in getting this experience. More than many expatriates have done. Now hopefully at some point TTFA would be able to afford to bring these guys home at some point. Each one teach one.
We’ll just have to skip those that know EVERYTHING already.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2019, 11:50:32 AM »
I remember when he was a yute with WC and everyone was talking about him. Can't believe that he is 35 already.

Canada will always have more avenues than TT.

Best of luck Jan.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2019, 01:24:47 PM »
WATCH: Former Trinidad and Tobago goalkeeper Jan Michael Williams talks about his SSFL days with St Anthony's, the fire that Rene Simoes ignited, his memories of wearing the gloves for T&T with his top three performances, as well as why has he decided to stop playing.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/CmJAHAq3DoU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/CmJAHAq3DoU</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

1]; } ?>