March 28, 2024, 07:54:44 PM

Author Topic: Jamille Boatswain Thread  (Read 7577 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Jamille Boatswain Thread
« on: February 22, 2017, 02:19:17 PM »
Jorsling: Jamille Boatswain can become T&T’s next best striker.
ttproleague.com.

Veteran Defence Force hero Devorn Jorsling believes teammate Jamille Boatswain can become the next best forward in Trinidad and Tobago.

The 23-year-old Boatswain joined Defence Force from Point Fortin Civic in the January transfer window and has been an immediate success for Coach Marvin Gordon’s Army/Coast Guard combination.

Boatswain exploits in front of goal in the just concluded 2016-17 truncated Pro League season saw him end with a combined 15 goals in all competitions. But it was his seven goals for Defence Force that really shot him into the spotlight.

“Once he keeps his feet in the ground, by the next couple years he could be the number one striker in Trinidad (and Tobago),” said Jorsling of Boatswain.

Boatswain scored a superb hat-trick in a 4-0 win against Police FC in the semi-final round of the Digicel Pro Bowl and followed-up with a goal in a 2-2 regulation score in the final last Sunday before Jorsling scored the winning Defence Force kick to seal a 5-3 shootout win.

Who better to speak of the rising talent, Boatswain, than Jorsling?

Jorsling is the Pro League’s all-time top scorer with 153 league goals—six more than current Ma Pau Stars forward Kerry Baptiste (147). He has 41 caps for Trinidad and Tobago and a ship-load of personal honours including the Toyota/Pro League Player of the Year and three Golden Boots.

“I think after being the main man for Defence Force for a very long time, I now have a good replacement,” quipped the 33-year-old Jorsling who joined Defence Force in 2002.

“He (Boatswain) possess a skill that you can’t coach: that’s how to score goals. He knows how to score goals.”

Jorsling, who was recently side-lined due to a thigh injury, finished the season with 17 goals in all competitions.

Meanwhile Boatswain’s recent performances have also earned him a place in a provisional training squad selected by new Trinidad and Tobago head coach Dennis Lawrence.

Lawrence, whose assistant coaches includes T&T legend and 2006 World Cup teammate Stern John and W Connection coach Stuart Charles-Fevrier, began training sessions this week ahead of two crucial FIFA World Cup 2018 qualifiers on 24 and 28 March against Panama and Mexico, respectively, at the Hasely Crawford Stadium in Port-of-Spain.

Former Defence Force two-time league-winning coach and current Ma Pau Stars coach Ross Russell serves as Lawrence’s goalkeeper coach.

Lawrence’s first assignment is a friendly international against Suriname on 10 March at Andre Kamperveen Stadium in Paramaribo, Suriname where he will be joined by his first assistant coach and former England and Arsenal star Sol Campbell.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Re: Jamille Boatswain Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 05:06:14 AM »
Gordon impressed by new striker Boatswain.
T&T Newsday Reports.

DEFENCE FORCE coach Marvin Gordon has been impressed by his new striker Jamille Boatswain, who was a key performer in the team’s recent success in the Digicel Pro Bowl.

The 23-year-old Boatswain joined Defence Force from Point Fortin Civic FC during the January transfer window.

According to Gordon, “as a coach, you always want strikers who could move off the ball (and offer) different dimensions. You have (Devorn) Jorsling who can hold it up.

“I thought it was the best decision I made this season, as a coach, in January by inviting Boatswain to join the Defence Force team,” continued Gordon.

“I think the future is bright for him because he’s the type of player that listens to coaches. He’s coachable, he takes instructions so I think the sky's the limit for Boatswain.” Defence Force retained their Pro Bowl crown and won the First Citizens Cup, but finished sixth in the 2016- 2017 Digicel Pro League season. How would he rate the past season?

“In the League disappointing as a coach, too much up and down,” responded Gordon. “But I said at the start of the (Pro Bowl) that I have a bunch of soldiers who love knockout competition and we showed that again.

“After winning the (First Citizens) Cup, to come and be back-to-back champs in the Digicel Pro Bowl, it is brilliant. I know it’s a first for Defence Force.” Looking at the forthcoming 2017 Pro League season, Gordon hopes “to try to get one or two players through the door, improve the youngsters, get them up to the level because people like (Devorn) Jorsling and (captain Jerwyn) Balthazar, to play 90 minutes week-in and week-out. Also to challenge for the League title.”

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 09:19:13 AM »
Boatswain delighted to score on national debut
By Joel Bailey (Newsday).

STRIKER Jamille Boatswain was delighted with his two-goal performance on Friday night, as he helped Trinidad and Tobago register a 2-0 win over Barbados in a friendly football international at the Ato Boldon Stadium, Couva.

The 23-year-old found the target in the 35th and 45th minutes, on his international debut, to virtually force his way into coach Dennis Lawrence’s selection thoughts, ahead of the forthcoming World Cup qualifiers against Panama (March 24) and Mexico (March 28).

Boatswain, who replaced striker Jameel Perry in the 31 st minute, stated, “It felt great.

Coming on, I was making my debut for the national team. It felt great.” His first goal came with his first attacking move, as he met a long ball from Darren Mitchell, stumbled but regained his footing to hit a powerful right footer beyond the reach of goalkeeper Dario Weir.

He commented, “I say (to myself) ‘as I get the first opportunity, I (was) going to the goal and I’m going to score.’ And that was the first option and the first thought in my mind.” Boatswain was subsequently replaced by Akeem Roach in the 62nd and Lawrence admitted that he wanted to use his three strikers in half-hour periods.

Asked if he felt he did enough to make Lawrence’s choice of strikers harder, Boatswain replied, “Yes because we get 30 minutes each and, to me, I felt I got my fair chance.

“I come and deliver, scoring my two goals and it would be a tough decision (for him) to pick the team for the qualifiers.” In January, Boatswain left Point Fortin Civic to join Defence Force, and his performances were crucial as Defence Force retained their Digicel Pro Bowl title last month.

He pointed out, “The transition is good. The players (in Defence Force) like me, I play around them, I get service to score and it’s a great feeling around the camp.” But, regarding his move from Point Fortin Civic, he said, “It was a (somewhat) challenging decision because my navel string is in Point. To (leave) Point and go Army and face (Point) in the League, it was a hard decision.

But, at the end of the day, decisions have to be made.” As far as his immediate aspirations are concerned, Boatswain said, “I (am) looking to challenge myself to at least score in every game, at least one or two. That is my challenge.

Both (for) club and country.” Reflecting on his career thus far, he said, “As a youngster I (came) under a development coach Neville Frederick. Then after I left to go the Under-18s at Point Fortin Civic. I played with South End and Caledonia (AIA).

I went to school in St Benedict’s.

That was the developing stage of my career.” He ended, “I was always a striker. That’s the position I love.”

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2017, 02:38:18 PM »
this thread start with some good endorsements boy! Blessings & I hope the Most High keep carrying you through.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 07:22:56 AM »
Lawrence praises Boatswain & co but eyes foreign talent for WCQs, signal to Bostock.
By Amiel Mohammed (Wired868).

Trinidad and Tobago National Senior Team head coach Dennis Lawrence cooed about the performance of goalscorer Jamille Boatswain and his teammates yesterday, after the Soca Warriors marked his first outing in charge with a 2-0 win over Barbados at the Ato Boldon Stadium in Couva.

But, Lawrence pointed out, his praise should not be interpreted as a suggestion that the core of last night’s team would remain intact when Trinidad and Tobago host Panama and Mexico later this month in crucial Russia 2018 World Cup qualifiers.

And the former Everton FC assistant coach followed the lead of his predecessors, Stephen Hart and Tom Saintfiet, by sending a ‘come and join us’ plea to England-born midfielder John Bostock, who is eligible to represent Trinidad and Tobago but has not yet chosen to do so.

“John, the door is open,” said Lawrence, at last night’s post-game press conference. “You are welcome to come and play for Trinidad and Tobago.”

Of course, there was plenty in Lawrence’s present dressing room to satisfy him after a comfortable win last night. And speedy 23-year-old Defence Force striker Boatswain, who scored twice in his first taste of international football, was prominent among the pluses at Couva.

“I’m delighted for him,” Lawrence told the media, after Boatswain registered a brace of opportunist first-half goals—within minutes of coming on as a substitute—to settle the match.  “I decided that I wanted the three strikers to play 30 minutes each and knew that the second 30 minutes was going to be the most difficult.”

Adding that he is “a boy that wants to learn, [who] is willing,” Lawrence declared: “I’m very pleased for him. For him to come on and react the way he did […] shows that he is doing something positive.”

Lawrence explained his instructions to his players and the new philosophy of the national team, which he described as “possession with purpose.”

“I was quite pleased with a lot of the things and also displeased with some of the things,” said the former 2006 World Cup hero. “The boys tried to implement some of the things that we tried to worked on, in particular, trying to maintain possession of the ball.

“[But] In the second half, in the last 25 to 30 minutes, we lost a bit of direction with regards to keeping the ball with purpose and we just started to keep the ball for keeping it sake. But that will come with time.

“We have to have purpose with our possession, because once you start keeping the ball in that [negative] manner, you only invite pressure on yourselves.”

The 156th-ranked Barbados—a late replacement for Suriname after the South Americans pulled out of the friendly encounter scheduled for Paramaribo on the same date—are neither Panama nor Mexico. Mindful of that, Lawrence still sought to keep the focus on the positive and he congratulated his charges on maintaining their solidity at the back.

“I was very, very pleased that we showed good concentration to ensure that we keep a clean sheet because that’s something that we need to have going into the next fixtures.”

Prior to yesterday’s kick-off, the last time that the T&T National Senior Team kept a clean sheet was against the Dominican Republic on 5 October 2016—seven matches ago. It is likely to be a detail that will not escape the attention of assistant coach Sol Campbell, who was finally present and accounted for at Ato Boldon last night.

Five previously uncapped players were also used against Barbados last night as Lawrence gave debuts to Jameel Perry, Jared London, Jesus Perez, Jomoul Francois and Boatswain—although Boatswain’s outing will not count as a cap since he was replaced as a substitute.

But Lawrence admitted that several of the players who faced Barbados last night would give way to foreign-based professionals when the Warriors go on to face Panama and Mexico in the 24 and 28 March qualifiers.

“I think the most important thing is understanding that we still have the boys that are going to come from abroad,” he said. “If we were talking about just this local group going to play Panama, obviously we still got a way to go in terms of our technical ability, our fitness levels. But I think with the boys coming in, it will put us on par.”

Elaborating, he added: “The idea is for them to come in and improve on what we’ve got at the moment. Hopefully with the experience and the ability that these guys are going to bring, it’s going to enhance the group.”

Lawrence said he already has an idea of 99% of the foreign-based contingent that wants to face Panama. And, pending required approvals, he promised one or two surprise additions.

He admitted that Bostock is one foreign-based player who will not be lining up for the “Red, White and Black” at the end of the month, though. According to Lawrence, he has had numerous conversations with Bostock recently but the RC Lens midfielder is not in a position to commit himself internationally.

The former England National Under-17 captain leads Lens in appearances this season with 28 while his employers  sit third on the table in France’s second tier at present—only three points off leader Stade de Reims.

Hart first called Bostock up for World Cup qualifiers against St Vincent and Grenadines, 12 months ago, only to discover—on the eve of the outing—that he had not yet received FIFA clearance and could not be involved.

Bostock was then invited to play Guatemala and USA in September but was a no-show while, two months later, he claimed his passport was stolen and did not turn up for World Cup fixtures against Honduras and Costa Rica.

But Lawrence is not prepared to give up on Bostock yet, although the coach will focus on the resources at his disposal.

“At this point in time,” he declared, “we’ve just got to work with the group that we have. […] I have to accept John’s decision and I have to think about the group that I’m going to work with.”

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2017, 06:22:11 AM »
Boatswain relives crucial moment in Costa Rica match.
T&T Express Reports.

JAMILLE Boatswain shares the disappointment of his Trinidad and Tobago teammates in not having coming away with a point from their event-filled World Cup qualifying match against Costa Rica on Tuesday. And like coach Dennis Lawrence, he is determined not to give up in the battle to get to the finals in Russia 2018.

The Defence Force striker returned home Wednesday night with other members of the squad, following their back-to-back qualifying matches in the United States and Costa Rica.

T&T had been out for just under 22 days after commencing preparations at a camp in Boulder, Colorado on May 23 prior to the match against the US in Commerce City, followed by Tuesday's encounter with Costa Rica in San Jose -- a performance which, despite the 2-1 scoreline, has been described as probably the best showing by a national team in a qualifier in Costa Rica.

Boatswain, who replaced injured skipper Kenwyne Jones moments before kick off in San Jose, recalled the moment when opposing defender Michael Umaña escaped with a clear foul as he (Boatswain) made the run inside the penalty area.

"I felt it from the moment he started pulling my shirt. I tried pulling away because the ball was in a good position to run onto; but he got me and I fell," Boatswain told TTFA Media. "I wasn't even thinking about him pulling my shirt, all I was thinking was ball and going to goal."

He said Umana spoke after the referee didn't make the expected call. "He (Umana) was telling me something like 'get up, it's nothing'."

The former Point Fortin Civic F.C striker continued: "They had everything in their favour. They got the early goal and the huge crowd and the atmosphere was rough, but it didn't get to us. Watch the game over and you would see we really did battle it out with them."

Boatswain said he was prepared when Lawrence told him he would be starting.

"I was ready because even in the warm-up, I was telling myself there was that chance I could get the call. When coach spoke to me, I knew I had to be ready," he added.

"We are disappointed but we feel good at the moment because the people have been telling us good things, in Costa Rica at the airport, everyone was saying how they were impressed and I think people realised we really put on a performance.

"Like coach said, we will be fighting right down until the end. One win in our next game and the momentum will be back."

Boatswain said he was feeling the difference in himself since training under the guidance of Lawrence and former T&T striker Stern John who has spent extra time with him on the training pitch.

"He (Stern) has all the experience as a striker for the country. And coach Lawrence has believed in me and given me that opportunity to learn and grow. I will continue to work hard and hopefully develop into a better player. I think it's the same for all of us, especially the new guys on the team. We are not happy with the results but we are feeling the improvement and just looking forward to keeping this going as a team," Boatswain added.

Some of the US-based players returned to their respective destinations while others like Khaleem Hyland, Sheldon Bateau and Shahdon Winchester returning to Trinidad before going back out to their clubs.

RELATED NEWS

T&T Footballers return home.
TTFA Media.

Boatswain: I felt him pulling my shirt

Trinidad and Tobago’s senior men’s team returned home on Wednesday night following their two back to back 2018 World Cup qualifying matches in the United States and Costa Rica.

The Dennis Lawrence-led team had been out for just under 22 days as they commenced preparations at a residential camp in Boulder, Colorado on May 23rd prior to the qualifier at Dick’s Sporting Goods Park against the US National Team followed by Tuesday night’s encounter against Costa Rica in San Jose which they narrowly lost 2-1 in what has been described as probably the best showing by a national team in a qualifying match in Costa Rica.

While the technical staff and the home-based players returned to Port of Spain, some of the US-based players returned to their respective destinations with the likes of overseas-based pros Khaleem Hyland, Sheldon Bateau and Shahdon Winchester returning to Trinidad before going back out to their clubs. There as a bit of upbeat among the contingent on Wednesday morning as the team departed the Radisson hotel before checking in at the Airport in San Jose as the locals were giving the players and staff thumbs up and compliments on the team’s performance. There were even some from T&T who relayed similar sentiments on the Miami to Port of Spain leg of the trip.

Defence Force forward Jamie Boatswain, who replaced Kenwyne Jones in the starting team moments before kick off on Tuesday, reflected on the performance, recalling how he felt when Michael Umana, the Costa Rican defender, pulled him by the shirt as he made the run inside the penalty box.

“I felt it from the moment he started pulling my shirt. I tried pulling away because the ball was in a good position to run onto but he got me and I fell. I wasn’t even thinking about him pulling my shirt, all I was thinking was ball and going to goal,” Boatswain told TTFA Media.

“But the referee didn’t make the call and afterwards he (Umana) was telling me something like ‘get up, it’s nothing’.”

“”They had everything in their favour. They got the early goal and the huge crowd and the atmosphere was rough but it didn’t get to us. Watch the game over and you would see we really did battle it out with them,” he said.

Boatswain said he was prepared from to take up the responsibility after Lawrence told him he would be starting.

“I was ready because even in the warm-up I was telling myself there was that chance I could get the call. When coach spoke to me I knew I had to be ready,” he added.

“We are disappointed but we feel good at the moment because the people have been telling us good things, in Costa Rica at the airport, everyone was saying how they were impressed and I think people realised we really put on a performance,” Boatswain said.

“I am optimistic that we are still alive in this and like coach said, we will be fighting right down until the end. One win in our next game and the momentum will be back.”

The former Point Fortin Civic Centre player said he was feeling the difference in himself since training under the guidance of Lawrence and former T&T forward Stern John who has spent extra time with him on the training pitch.

“Stern has been talking to me and of course, you know, he has all the experience as a striker for the country. And coach Lawrence has believed in me and given me that opportunity to learn and grow. I will continue to work hard and hopefully develop into a better player. I think it’s the same for all of us, especially the new guys on the team. We are not happy with the results but we are feeling the improvement and just looking forward to keeping this going as a team,” Boatswain added.

Mexico leads the final round of qualifying in the North and Central American and Caribbean region with 14 points, followed by Costa Rica with 11 and the United States (eight), Panama (seven), Honduras (five) and Trinidad and Tobago (three).

The stage is now set for T&T to host Honduras on September 1st followed by a clash with Panama in Panama City on September 5th. Six points from those two games followed by a win at home to the US in the final group encounter on October 10th. T&T will be away to Mexico on October 6th with a positive result certainly not out of the question.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 02:47:01 AM by Flex »

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2017, 04:33:09 PM »
Is this guy better than britto ??
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline chelsealife

• You must be the change you wish to see in this world
  • Hero Warrior
  • Its BLUE, what else matters?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2017, 01:43:45 PM »
imo he's not. Britto most likely won't get the opportunity afforded to others tho. Cyrus n Jan in the same league now so no excuses not to scout n possibly include Britto

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2017, 10:20:26 PM »
imo he's not. Britto most likely won't get the opportunity afforded to others tho. Cyrus n Jan in the same league now so no excuses not to scout n possibly include Britto

Why not Glenn, none of them better than kenwyne and I can't believe Cummings hasn't recovered fully yet

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2017, 11:57:19 PM »
I am very happy for the yute.  Heard so many good things about him from alot of people in the game.  I wish him all the best
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2017, 05:41:22 AM »
Jamille Boatswain has signed with Liga Deportiva Alajuelense, one of the most successful clubs in Costa Rica.

According to Fuentes he did not sign....

Well maybe the deal has not been officially concluded, and the club made a premature announcement. We'll see how it turns out.

Offline Trini Madness

• Heart....miles and miles of heart
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2017, 07:49:02 AM »

Why not Glenn, none of them better than kenwyne and I can't believe Cummings hasn't recovered fully yet

Bro try getting shot in the leg and coming back. It's not just a physical thing, it's a mental obstacle he has to get over. It's not easy. He will be back, I know time isn't on his side but he will be back.

Going back to the thread, I'm happy that boatswain got signed. Hopefully this club can shape him into the dangerous striker we all know he can be.
A dream you don't fight for will haunt you for the rest of your life.

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2017, 03:50:29 PM »
britto get called for the grenada match. he play? and if he did, he do anything? all i remember from that match is that Shadow Winchester was the only one who make a note.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2017, 04:33:07 AM »
Boatswain confirms talks with Alajuelense.
TTFA Media.

National team forward Jamille Boatswain has not yet put pen to paper to close a transfer deal to Costa Rican top flight club Alajuelense. But the current Defence Force marksman has confirmed that he has been in talks with the club and a move is likely.

Alajuelense officials have been after the 23-year old T&T forward following his appearance in the recent World Cup qualifier in which T&T lost 2-1 in San Jose as the the ex-Point Fortin Civic Centre player put on a live showing up top for Dennis Lawrence’s men. And since that the club have persisted with him.

“Yes they have been holding talks and a deal has been offered but it is not complete as yet. At this time it is too early to say yes I am going. It will be a great opportunity for me but we are still finalising things. They have already done their part and are waiting for my word before the book the ticket for me to travel to Costa Rica,” Boatswain told TTFA Media on Thursday.

“Hopefully I will have more concrete news on this later in the week.”

Boatswain made his international debut in March in a friendly against Barbados. His cameo appearance in the 33rd-minute saw him scoring twice in the space of five minutes to lead T&T to a 2-0win at Ato Boldon Stadium.

Alajuelense is one of the most successful teams in Costa Rica and Central America, having won 29 national championships. They have also won two CONCACAF Champions League titles and three Copa Interclubes UNCAF. Alajuelense was the first Costa Rican club to win an official international competition when they defeated Suranamese club Transvaal in the final series in 1986. Alajuelense plays its home matches at the Estadio Alejandro Morera Soto.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2017, 05:11:58 AM »
If he join de club de same man who pull him down in de penalty box when we played Costa Rica (Michael Umana) go be he teammate.

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2017, 01:45:11 AM »
Boatswain agrees to two-year deal with Alajuelense.
TTFA Media.

By midday on Friday, 23-year-old Trinidad and Tobago striker Jamille Boatswain will officially be a Liga Deportiva Alajuelens player.

Boatswain is set to sign on the dotted line on Friday morning after agreeing terms to a two-year-deal with the Costa Rican powerhouse. And he is expected to arrive in San Jose on Monday night to join his new club, just over a week after spending time in the Costa Rican capital with his national teammates for the recent World Cup Qualifier with Los Ticos.

“I am happy as this is my first professional contract to play outside of Trinidad and Tobago. Two to three years ago I began playing in the Pro League with ‘Civic’ and then Marvin Gordon brought me to Defence Force and I want to thank him for that. Then the national team pick came and now I am very grateful for this opportunity to play with Alajuelense in Costa Rica,” Boatswain told TTFA Media on Thursday night.

Excited as he may be, Boatswain is fully aware that his life as a professional baller will be different to what he might have grown accustomed to in T&T.

“Yes I know. It’s going to be a big step up but I am ready. I am prepared to go there and settle in as quickly as possible and work my legs off to be successful on a personal level and to help the club achieve their goals.”

“I have an idea of what the game is like there. They are crazy about the game and I know the fans will be looking to see what I can do at the club,” he added.

Boatswain, a former student of St Benedict’s College, is a qualified paramedic, having completed courses at the Emergency Training Institute of Trinidad and Tobago in Charlieville Chaguanas and also worked part time with Wells Services Petroleum Company in South Oropouche during his time at Civic Centre.

“I went to school at ETIT where I trained to become a medic and I also worked at Wells Services but football was always the main thing for me. I kept working and looking for the opportunity. I went to ‘Army’ and my form was good to some extent and then I got the call to the national team.”

Boatswain revealed that the Costa Rican club began tracking him shortly after the two World Cup qualifiers versus Panama and Mexico in March.

“They were looking at me from the two games in March and the interest grew after the game in Costa Rica,” he said.

Alajuelense has been the club of several Costa Rica’s World Cup players such as José Carlos Chaves, Mauricio Montero, Wilmer López, Luis Marín, Johnny Acosta,Patrick Pemberton and current Costa Rican head coach Oscar Ramirez who played in the 1990 World Cup and lined up in the “Road to Italy” campaign against the Strike Squad.  The club’s biggest rival is Deportivo Saprissa which a season ago, signed T&T’s most recent player to play in Costa Rica,  Aubrey David.

Boatswain spoke further about his time under Dennis Lawrence and the respect he holds for his current T&T teammates who have been wearing the national colours for some time before he arrived on the scene.

“Well, Dennis Lawrence saw something in me and he gave me that chance which I think I grabbed openly in the game against Barbados and then he kept faith in me for the World Cup qualifiers. I am thankful for that and I hope I can continue to improve so I can come back into the team and deliver and help us to have a good chance of qualifying. The games in September are really important for us,” added “Balo” as he is affectionately called by his T&T teammates.

“Stern (John) has been doing some extra finishing with me during the recent camp and it has been helping me and being around some of the other players has been a great experience for me so far. Kenwyne (Jones) is the main man so  I came in knowing I would have to be working hard to get into the team. He has been really good overall in the camp and he is a good striker I believe. Hopefully all of us can be in good shape, you know, be at our best for the rest of matches coming up.”

With that kind of head on his shoulders, there’s every reason to be confident of where Balo’s ability could take him to. Venga Boatswain. Puede hacerlo!

« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 01:55:46 AM by Flex »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2017, 08:54:45 AM »
So how does this work out. He is in the DF. Do they release him for duty? Can he reenlisted if if does not workout. We presume the DF get a transfer fee?

Offline Trinidad Sports Reality

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2017, 11:41:43 AM »
he was never enlisted into the DF he was jus playing as a civilian so he is under no contract!

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2017, 03:16:39 AM »
he was never enlisted into the DF he was jus playing as a civilian so he is under no contract!

I never knew that you could play for the DF as a civilian. I thought that you had to enlist to play for them. The exception was their youth teams.

Offline Trinidad Sports Reality

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2017, 10:19:01 AM »
There are players that train and play for the team and once they remain a good asset to the team they bring them to train with the next batch boatswain joined the team in January so he missed the last training so he wld have been recruited into the next batch! Currently this season there are a couple civilians with the team as well.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2017, 04:28:26 PM »
Did not know that. Thanks.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2017, 03:35:51 PM »

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2017, 03:40:21 AM »
Boatswain season starts at month end.
By Shaun Fuentes (Guardian).

Jamille Boatswain will be hoping to make his competitive debut in Costa Rica on July 30 when Alajuelense takes on Grecia away from home in the first match of the Costa Rican Premier Division.

The former Defence Force man has been preparing for the upcoming season with the club and is thankful that he will be a month at least into the league but the time the World Cup qualifier comes around on September 1 against Honduras.

“So far things are good. I’ve been training with the club and we have a game next week which I hope to get some playing time,” Boatswain said.

“Our season starts on July 30 so right now we are basically getting ourselves ready for that first game. By the time the qualifiers start again with the national team I would be into season with the club which is good.

“The coaches at the club are doing their part and the players are hard at work. I’m learning new things about the club, the methods of training and basically the lifestyle here so yes I am busy with a lot of stuff. But I am focusing on my game and ensuring that I am up to a good level.”

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2017, 10:18:23 PM »
Boatswain got his work permit, passed his medical, and made his debut for Alajuelense tonight in a pre-season friendly against C.D. Motagua (Honduras).

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2017, 04:59:13 AM »
W Connection left full-back Kurt Frederick will join Boatswain at LD Alajuelense on a six month loan deal.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2017, 04:52:04 PM »
DJW using the system well.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2017, 10:07:00 PM »
http://www.nacion.com/deportes/futbol-costa-rica/Alajuelense-Aubrey_David-Jamille_Boatswain-Kurt_Frederick_0_1649035192.html

Aubrey David flew to Costa Rica to assist Jamille Boatswain with adapting to life in Costa Rica. In the article he discusses Boatswain as a player.

He regards Boatswain as strong, fast and a good finisher whose decision-making will improve through the experience gained playing in Costa Rica.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2017, 04:34:58 AM »
Boatswain debuts in Concacaf League.
By Shaun Fuentes (Guardian).

T&T’s forward Jamille Boatswain made his competitive debut for Costa Rican club Alajuelense on Thursday night in their Concacaf League fixture away to Olimpia of Honduras. Boatswain came on in the second half of the 2-0 defeat for his club.

The former Defence Force man will now be hoping to make his Costa Rican League debut when Alajuelense takes on Santos de Guapiles at Estadio Alejandro Morera Soto today. Guapiles defeated San Juan Jabloteh 6-2 on Wednesday night in Concacaf League action.

Boatswain has recovered from an ankle injury sustained during his early days at the club last month.

“I felt really good making my debut last week even though we suffered the loss. I suffered an ankle injury during the early part of preseason but I’m nearing one hundred percent and the coach is of that same belief so I am hoping to get more playing time on Sunday against Santos,” Boatswain said.

“The match against Olimpia was difficult because they maintained good pressure throughout and their fans kept singing for the entire match, from opening whistle to the final. But generally it was a good feeling for me to come on in that type of game for the club.”

According to the striker: “The game here is much faster than what I have been accustomed to back in Trinidad and even in that game against Olimpia it was very physical. I would love for my teammates and other players back home to really experience this and realise why it is they need to start doing everything quicker. It’s the way football is played now and you need to be processing everything rapidly when you are on the field, quick movement with the feet and the mind.”

1]; } ?>