March 28, 2024, 10:35:03 AM

Author Topic: Jereem “The Dream” Richards Thread  (Read 24710 times)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Jereem Richards breaks Boldon's record
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2017, 06:12:29 PM »
What year is he? I hope his senior year don't fall in the same year as the  Tokyo Olympics.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 02:13:24 AM by Socapro »

Offline Trini1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2017, 07:16:23 PM »
He's in his Junior year I believe.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 02:13:39 AM by Socapro »

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2017, 08:03:41 PM »
From what I know, this is his final year. He did 2 years at juco before Alabama. So he might have 1 more year. But I wouldn't rule out the possibility of him having 2 more years. Some athletes do 2 years at juco, then 3 years at University.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 02:14:02 AM by Socapro »

Offline Aviator

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2017, 08:15:45 PM »
From what I know, this is his final year. He did 2 years at juco before Alabama. So he might have 1 more year. But I wouldn't rule out the possibility of him having 2 more years. Some athletes do 2 years at juco, then 3 years at University.
not possible unless you red shirt an entire season both inside and out.
You can have 5 years of school, but only 4 years of running.... No exceptions. Also this is his last year coming up now Trini 1 and Deeks
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 02:14:20 AM by Socapro »
Psalm 14:1
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2017, 08:16:50 PM »
I wonder if Jereem will take his chances and turn pro.

Was wondering the same, but heard him mention that school starts back August 23rd, so I guess he's put that on the back burner for now.

Could never go wrong with school. But sometimes the right numbers on the contract are worth it. So signing a six or seven figure contract, then setting aside 100k to return to school (as a back up in case of a career ending injury).. is worth it. We've all seen how the NCAA has killed many careers.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 02:14:38 AM by Socapro »

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2017, 08:19:44 PM »
You can have 5 years of school, but only 4 years of running.... No exceptions. Also this is his last year coming up now Trini 1 and Deeks

Yes. It called red shirt.  And you're  right it can't be applied to him. You can only compete 4 years in NCAA.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 02:15:15 AM by Socapro »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2017, 09:11:15 PM »

Yes. It called red shirt.  And you're  right it can't be applied to him. You can only compete 4 years in NCAA.

Well, if he decides to stay in school, good luck to him and we should pray that he graduate. If he decides to turn pro, Good luck with that also. And as g.o.p said, he should put aside money to come back to school in the off-season. Hopefully he should be out by 2019. Allyuh know how college track does drain you  like a souccouyant.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 02:15:34 AM by Socapro »

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Jereem “The Dream” Richards Thread
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2017, 07:17:50 AM »
This season was his JR year.  1 year left.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2017, 01:38:21 AM »
Richards on Adidas signing: It’s a great feeling
T&T Guardian Reports.

It took a little longer than some people expected, but yesterday Jereem Richards signed on with his first major sponsor since winning gold and bronze medals at the IAAF World Championships in August. It is global sports apparel giant, Adidas.

Both parties didn’t divulge any information on the deal, but speaking with Guardian Media Sports from the University of Alabama, Richards said he was thankful to all the people who helped lead up to this moment.

He said: “It’s always a great feeling to know that one of these companies look out and have faith in me, and believed, and I’m not going to disappoint them.

“I’m going to do the best that I can do and always put my best foot forward.”

Having restarted university a few weeks ago, Richards admitted it had been a challenge for him to settle down and refocus on school.

He said: “I had to try to let the hype go away because I am still a student and I still have to do my work and make sure I graduate.”

Richards won gold as part of T&T’s 4x400m team and bronze in the 400m event at London’s World Championships. (RB)

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2017, 02:50:40 AM »
Glad for him. Real glad. But help me clarify something here. But isn't this a violation of NCAA rules?

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2017, 05:14:39 AM »
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/20170913/sports/jereem-turns-pro

We knew it was coming.

Violation of which NCAA rule Deeks?

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2017, 06:29:18 AM »
I did not read that article specifically mentioned that he turned pro. Well that is good in that he will avoid the college circuit grind in the Olympic year.

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2017, 07:35:20 AM »
Glad for him. Real glad. But help me clarify something here. But isn't this a violation of NCAA rules?
It is not a violation to sign a professional contract. Now that he is signed he will just give up his scholarship, pay his own way through school and cannot run for Alabama. There is only a violation if he signs and then represents Crimson Tide, then it's the University of Alabama's problem.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 07:37:52 AM by Storeboy »
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2017, 10:34:10 AM »
I speculated that he would turn pro after winning two medals at the Worlds. Ato makes a good rationale for Jereems decision. Things that are significant for Jereem:
- just had his breakout season
- No Worlds or Olympics next year's
- The amount of running and the possibility of "bun out " that's comes with the long NCAA program
- Opportunity to make money

http://m.guardian.co.tt/sports/2017-09-16/boldon-backs-richards’-pro-decision

Seems as if Jereem had offers on the table at the end of Worlds. Good decision. More medals coming.

Offline ffisback

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2017, 09:59:36 PM »
To bad D Lendore did not make the same decision he did when he had a chance to skip his last year of collage.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2017, 09:01:55 AM »
To bad D Lendore did not make the same decision he did when he had a chance to skip his last year of collage.

Was quietly thinking the same thing. However I don't think Lendore was offered a sponsorship deal after he won bronze anchoring our Men's 4x400m Relay team at the London Olympics in 2012. Maybe if Deon had won an individual 400m medal in addition to his relay medal in 2012 he may have been offered a sponsorship deal after London 2012.

However if I am not mistaken Lalonde Gordon who won both an individual 400m bronze medal and a 4x400m relay bronze medal at the London 2012 Olympics was offered an Adidas sponsorship deal after the London 2012 Olympics.

Unfortunately for Deon despite his great 400m potential he did not do enough in the individual 400m event at Major international meets while he was at Texas A&M to attract a good enough deal from a big sponsor to allow him to forego the rigorous Texas A&M schedule that they demand of their top college athletes that in most cases see them burnt out by the time they finish their college careers.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 11:04:41 AM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline ffisback

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2017, 04:51:34 PM »

Was quietly thinking the same thing. However I don't think Lendore was offered a sponsorship deal after he won bronze anchoring our Men's 4x400m Relay team at the London Olympics in 2012. Maybe if Deon had won an individual 400m medal in addition to his relay medal in 2012 he may have been offered a sponsorship deal after London 2012.

However if I am not mistaken Lalonde Gordon who won both an individual 400m bronze medal and a 4x400m relay bronze medal at the London 2012 Olympics was offered an Adidas sponsorship deal after the London 2012 Olympics.

Unfortunately for Deon despite his great 400m potential he did not do enough in the individual 400m event at Major international meets while he was at Texas A&M to attract a good enough deal from a big sponsor to allow him to forego the rigorous Texas A&M schedule that they demand of their top college athletes that in most cases see them burnt out by the time they finish their college careers.
D Lendore best year was 2014 when he was unbeaten he could have gone pro that year but he chose to stay in school.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2017, 06:24:20 PM »

D Lendore best year was 2014 when he was unbeaten he could have gone pro that year but he chose to stay in school.

I don't think Deon won any individual 400m medal at any major championships in 2014 which I believe was the year of the last Commonwealth Games held in Scotland.

Can you recall if Deon was offered any major sponsorship deals in 2014 which he turned down?
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2018, 12:06:49 PM »

Jereem cops Commonwealth Games 200m gold for T&T

https://www.trinidadexpress.com/sports/local/jereem-cops-commonwealth-games-m-gold-for-t-t/article_e623643e-3e58-11e8-b08e-e385820c2dab.html

Jereem "The Dream" Richards captured Trinidad and Tobago's second gold medal at the 2018 Commonwealth Games in Gold Coast, Australia in dramatic fashion on Thursday, when England's Zharnel Hughes was disqualified for impeding his rival in the final stage of the men's 200 metres event.

Richards did not get the start he would have wanted, needing to make up some four or five metres coming off the backstretch, as Hughes held a clear advantage ahead of Canada's Aaron Brown. However, Richards dug deep and quickly reduced the deficit to draw alongside Hughes, but appeared to check momentarily in mid-stride about five metres from the finish, just as he seemed about to get ahead of his rival. Both runners crossed the line together and were accredited with the same time of 20.12 seconds. Hughes claimed gold ahead of Richards, with Brown taking bronze in 20.34

Hughes however, was later disqualified as video replays showed he had drifted to the edge of his lane and in the process impeded his rival, as his left arm came across and struck Richards in the face at the point of where he had drawn level.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2018, 12:07:32 PM »

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/mj0Mygy6PKE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/mj0Mygy6PKE</a>

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2018, 04:25:06 PM »
Thanks for posting, blessings to Jereem, wonderful youth  :beermug:
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2020, 12:53:06 PM »
Jereem cops gold at Texas Tech Shootout 200m final
BY NARISSA FRASER (NEWSDAY).

T&T's Jereem "The Dream" Richards copped gold in the men's 200-metre final at the Texas Tech Shootout track meet in the US.

The Adidas sprinter started in lane six, blazing the trail to finish with a time of 20.71 seconds.

Jacolby Shelton put up an impressive challenge to take second place in 20.77 seconds, and Tinotenda Matiyenga finished third clocking 22.80 seconds after pulling up with an injury nearing the final 50m.

Speaking with Newsday on Monday morning, Richards said it was a good season-opener and he was pleased with his performances.

He also ran the 400m final on Saturday and finished in 46.55s in fourth place.

"I felt good and I just went out there and wanted to be relaxed and run a safe and comfortable race because I knew I had the 400m the other day.

"This was my last indoor meet and I'm just going to go back to training and prepare myself for outdoors."

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2020, 05:14:03 AM »

20.71 is a good start early in the season. He need to be in sub 19.8 form come Olympics to hope to medal

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2021, 06:47:31 PM »
Jereem Richards understands NAAA decision to pull Trinidad and Tobago from World Relays
JELANI BECKLES (T&T Newsday).

THE National Association of Athletics Administrations (NAAA) will not send a Trinidad and Tobago track team to the 2021 World Athletics Relays in Poland on May 1 and 2 because of the covid19 pandemic.

An NAAA media release on Wednesday said, “It is with regret that NAAA announces that it is withdrawing its team to compete at the 2021 World Athletics Relays, to be held in Poland on May 1 and 2. This decision has not been taken lightly but after careful consideration of the various challenges posed by the covid19 pandemic, the potential risk to participants and the significant difficulties with travel arrangements (NAAA decided it was best). NAAA is particularly concerned over the welfare of our athletes.”

T&T athletes have performed admirably at the event. “T&T has enjoyed considerable success at the relays and is the defending champion in the men’s 4x400m event.”

At the 2019 World Relays in Yokohama, Japan the quartet of Deon Lendore, Asa Guevara, Jereem Richards and Machel Cedenio won gold.

The NAAA wanted to have two teams represent T&T at the 2021 World Relays.

“Preliminary arrangements were made to enter a men’s 4x200m and a men’s 4x100m team. In the case of the latter, participation was seen as a means to qualify for the upcoming Tokyo Olympics. The top eight teams at the relays automatically qualify for the Olympics. In light of this, NAAA will now have to explore other options to have the men’s 4x100m team qualify.”

The Olympics are scheduled to run from July 23 to August 8.

In an interview with Newsday, Richards said, "I think it had to be something that was well thought out in terms of the feasibility of the travel. I know a lot of other countries have released their teams and had to pull it back." Jamaica and the USA, two powerhouse countries in track and field, have also decided to withdraw from the World Relays.

Richards, who is based in Florida, is hoping the T&T men's 4x100m team will be able to earn qualification for the Olympics. "It was really challenging for most countries to go and TT fell into that category...going forward I hope we are able to qualify the men's 4x1 team because I know that was one of our biggest (aims)...I believe there would be a lot of different options for us to go where we could qualify the team." Richards said there are meets in the US leading up to the Olympics where T&T can qualify. The T&T men's 4x400m and the women's 4x100m teams have already qualified for the Olympics.

The T&T 4x100m team that was scheduled to compete at the World Relays included Keston Bledman, Emmanuel Callender, Jerod Elcock, Kyle Greaux, Deon Lendore, Andre Marcano and Richards. The 4x200m team included Callender, Machel Cedenio, Elcock, Greaux, Lendore and Richards.

On not competing with his T&T teammates, Richards said, "It is definitely disappointing that we were not able to go out there and compete, but you have to have a level of understanding going forward. It is not a normal situation that we are in right now."

Richards said he understands the decision made by the NAAA.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2021, 05:07:21 PM »
Jereem was brilliant on Saturday.

https://www.guardian.co.tt/sports/richards-warren-on-top-of-their-game-6.2.1320106.abbc226095

T&T's Jereem Richards ran a season's best 20.26 seconds to sprint to victory in the men's 200 metres at the USATF Grand Prix, the Oregon Relays, in Eugene, Oregon in the United States on Saturday.

The 2018 Commonwealth 200m champion comfortably beat to the line, American Josephus Lyles (20.46) and Jamaica's Christopher Taylor (20.73).

A season's best from Portious Warren saw her emerge champion of the women's shot put at the Louisiana State University (LSU) Alumni Gold at the LSU Bernie Moore Stadium in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.

The local field specialist threw a distance of 18.12 metres to top the event which had two other T&T athletes compete including University of Alabama's Cherisse Murray and Texas A&M University's (TAMU) Tyra Gittens.

Murray heaved an outdoor season-best 16.50m but the Crimson Tide senior unfortunately missed out on a top-three finish, placing fourth.

TAMU redshirt junior and NCAA pentathlon champion Gittens placed 12th with her best mark being 13.26m. she also competed in the 110m hurdles and crossed fourth with a 13.26-clocking.

Unattached runner Asa Guevara had success in the men's 400m Olympic development race, placing second in a time of 46.09 behind Tiger Olympians' Vernon Norwood (45.17). In third place was Phillip Osei (Athletics Canada) with 46.17.

Tamia Badal of Colorado competed in the two women's hurdle events. The freshman placed 18th in the 100m hurdles with  14.10 (2.3 wind) and in the 400m hurdles, she finished 13th (1:02.03).

LSU senior Akanni Hislop also competed in the men's 200m and placed 10th with 21.05 (1.8w).

In Miami, Florida, Kai Selvon faced the starter in the women's 100m at the TRUFit Athletics Sprint Classic, Tropical Park Track.

The Puma MVP International sprinter advanced with the sixth-fastest qualifying time of 11.52 from the preliminaries, placing second in heat one. Selvon was slower in the final and placed seventh with 11.65 (1.3) in the dash.

Andre Marcano was a 10th-place finisher in the men's version of the race. The Central Park Track Club sprinter clocked 10.37.

Arkansas-Pine Bluff sophomore Safiya John had a busy schedule at the John McDonnell Invitational in Fayetteville, Arkansas, competing in four events but did not reach the podium in any.

On the track, she raced in the women's 200m and got to the line in 25.38 to place 26th and then in the 100m hurdles she was sixth with 13.56 (2.8w).

She also competed in two jump events, John placed ninth in the long jump with a 5.73m-leap and 10th in the triple jump with 11.60m.

Clement Campbell Jr, another Arkansas-Pine Bluff freshman, competed in three events and he too did not place among the top three in any. He was 20th overall in the men's 200m time final with a time of 22.19, seventh (7.43m) in the long jump and his team was disqualified in the 4x400m relay.

Franklyn Stanislaus placed eighth in the men's decathlon, tallying 6,347 points over the two-day meet.

The Arkansas-Pine Bluff sophomore won the 100 with 10.81 (2.7), high jump (1.92m) and 400m (49.38); was third in the long jump with 6.94m (2.2w); fourth in the 110m hurdles (15.03); seventh in the shot put (11.95m), eighth in both the discus (33.19), pole vault (3.30m) and 1,500m (5:47.49) and placed ninth in the javelin (33.32m).

Joanna Rogers was the other Arkansas-Pine Bluff student/athlete who competed at the meet and the freshman placed 19th in the women's 800 with 2:21.77.

On Friday, at the Wolfie Invitational in Stony Brook, New York, Fairleigh Dickinson sophomore Ako Hislop sprinted to second place in the men's 100m dash with 11.07.

Minnesota freshman Kion Benjamin and Purdue's Naomi Campbell, another first-year student, were aiming to complete their respective sprint doubles at the Fighting Illini Big Ten Relays but it did not pan as they had hoped.

Benjamin sprinted to silver in the men's 100m, placing second with  10.47 (1.7w) and missed out on a podium finish after crossing fourth in the 200m with 20.92 (2.8w)

Campbell placed ninth in the women's 100m with 11.98 (1.5) and tenth in the 200m with 24.62 (3.3) in the respective timed finals. She did, however, manage to help her team to a bronze in the 4x100m relays (45.48).

On Thursday, Jackson State freshman Adel Coltrust sprinted to four medals at the I-20 Twilight in Clinton, Mississippi.

He won gold in the men's 100m winning in 10.53 (-0.9) and copped silver in the 200m with a time of 21.35 (0.2). His team was also second in the 4x100m (41.18) and third in the 4x400m (3:12.41).

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2021, 12:12:14 PM »

Jareem is in good form. he need to just focus on his game and continue to improve as the season progress and not worry about the bigger names and he will be in contention for a medal in Tokyo

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #56 on: August 29, 2021, 01:05:48 AM »
Jereem reveals self-made athletics trading cards
ANDREW GIOANNETTI (T&T NEWSDAY).

JEREEM RICHARDS recently opened his first pack of first edition Athletic Excellence Trading Cards, a series of collectibles he designed to celebrate past and present Trinidad and Tobago track and field athletes, and raise their profile among younger generations.

"I waited a very long time for it," Richards told viewers on Instagram after revealing his first ten cards.

Each pack has ten cards, nine "normal" cards and one less common holographic (foil coated) card. Richards told Newsday on Friday that the cards are not yet on the market, and that the cost and other factors are still being worked out.

He said he is hoping to release those details in the coming months.

Richards said he designed the cards after using practising with software and teaching himself graphic design techniques, while Khaba-Marie Alexander did the lettering.

The entire purpose, he said, "was to showcase athletic excellence in TT... sooner or later (athletes outside of TT will be profiled) but right now I have to focus on Trinidad because I feel like...people don't really know the achievements of some of the past (national) athletes."

Richards revealed his first card to be retired distance runner Ronnie Holassie, who represented TT at the Olympic Games in 1996 and 2000. Like the other athletes, the card features his achievements and personal best(s).

It also includes a badge indicating that it is a first-edition. The other cards in his first pack included vastly experienced sprinters Marc Burns and Keston Bledman, retired hurdler Josanne Lucas, 800-metre specialist Jamaal James, three-time Olympic shot-putter Cleopatra Borel, men's shot putter Hezekiel Romeo, long-jumper Andwuelle Wright, and sprinter Jamol James.

Finally, the holographic card was revealed to be fellow quarter-mile specialist and Richards' team-mate on TT's 4x400m 2017 World Championships gold medal-winning team, Machel Cedenio.

In total, Richards designed and compiled profiles for 80 national athletes.

A scan code on the back of the package directs the user to Athletic Excellence Trading Cards' Instagram page.

Trinidad and Tobago sprinter Jereem Richards holds one of his athletics trading cards.

Some of the trading cards. Photo via Instagram.

A trading card for Olympic gold-medalist Keshorn Walcott. Photo via Instagram.

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 19, 2022, 03:42:16 PM »
Way to go Jereem. Gold in the 400m at the world indoor championships. Very historic and emotional win. Not only did he get Gold, he also got the Championship record, a personal record and a national record. It was only fitting that he broke Lendore's national record at the same time. He paid tribute to Lendore, who would have been running alongside him. Congratulations Jereem

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 19, 2022, 03:55:53 PM »
That was real nice and emotional. This guy is par excellence. Let's see what happen in Paris. I did not the see the women's 60. But I saw the men's. The Italian did it again. Kind of remind of Valerie Borzov. The Trini, Elcock , timed 6.63 came in 8th. He did not look to bad. How old is he? And is he related to Ancil and Marco Elcock?

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 19, 2022, 04:57:12 PM »
Jerod is 23. His junior career did not begin the best. But he has improved in the last 1.5 years.

That 60m was a photo finish. Jacob just edged Coleman. Both had the same time.

Kambungi ate up the field in the women's 60m. 4th fastest time in history. Michelle 7th.

1]; } ?>