December 11, 2017, 05:34:29 AM

Author Topic: Jereem “The Dream” Richards Thread  (Read 2248 times)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Jereem Richards breaks Boldon's record
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2017, 06:12:29 PM »
What year is he? I hope his senior year don't fall in the same year as the  Tokyo Olympics.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 02:13:24 AM by Socapro »

Offline Trini1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2017, 07:16:23 PM »
He's in his Junior year I believe.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 02:13:39 AM by Socapro »

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2017, 08:03:41 PM »
From what I know, this is his final year. He did 2 years at juco before Alabama. So he might have 1 more year. But I wouldn't rule out the possibility of him having 2 more years. Some athletes do 2 years at juco, then 3 years at University.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 02:14:02 AM by Socapro »

Offline Aviator

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2017, 08:15:45 PM »
From what I know, this is his final year. He did 2 years at juco before Alabama. So he might have 1 more year. But I wouldn't rule out the possibility of him having 2 more years. Some athletes do 2 years at juco, then 3 years at University.
not possible unless you red shirt an entire season both inside and out.
You can have 5 years of school, but only 4 years of running.... No exceptions. Also this is his last year coming up now Trini 1 and Deeks
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 02:14:20 AM by Socapro »
Psalm 14:1
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2017, 08:16:50 PM »
I wonder if Jereem will take his chances and turn pro.

Was wondering the same, but heard him mention that school starts back August 23rd, so I guess he's put that on the back burner for now.

Could never go wrong with school. But sometimes the right numbers on the contract are worth it. So signing a six or seven figure contract, then setting aside 100k to return to school (as a back up in case of a career ending injury).. is worth it. We've all seen how the NCAA has killed many careers.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 02:14:38 AM by Socapro »

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2017, 08:19:44 PM »
You can have 5 years of school, but only 4 years of running.... No exceptions. Also this is his last year coming up now Trini 1 and Deeks

Yes. It called red shirt.  And you're  right it can't be applied to him. You can only compete 4 years in NCAA.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 02:15:15 AM by Socapro »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2017, 09:11:15 PM »

Yes. It called red shirt.  And you're  right it can't be applied to him. You can only compete 4 years in NCAA.

Well, if he decides to stay in school, good luck to him and we should pray that he graduate. If he decides to turn pro, Good luck with that also. And as g.o.p said, he should put aside money to come back to school in the off-season. Hopefully he should be out by 2019. Allyuh know how college track does drain you  like a souccouyant.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 02:15:34 AM by Socapro »

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Jereem “The Dream” Richards Thread
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2017, 07:17:50 AM »
This season was his JR year.  1 year left.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2017, 01:38:21 AM »
Richards on Adidas signing: It’s a great feeling
T&T Guardian Reports.

It took a little longer than some people expected, but yesterday Jereem Richards signed on with his first major sponsor since winning gold and bronze medals at the IAAF World Championships in August. It is global sports apparel giant, Adidas.

Both parties didn’t divulge any information on the deal, but speaking with Guardian Media Sports from the University of Alabama, Richards said he was thankful to all the people who helped lead up to this moment.

He said: “It’s always a great feeling to know that one of these companies look out and have faith in me, and believed, and I’m not going to disappoint them.

“I’m going to do the best that I can do and always put my best foot forward.”

Having restarted university a few weeks ago, Richards admitted it had been a challenge for him to settle down and refocus on school.

He said: “I had to try to let the hype go away because I am still a student and I still have to do my work and make sure I graduate.”

Richards won gold as part of T&T’s 4x400m team and bronze in the 400m event at London’s World Championships. (RB)

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2017, 02:50:40 AM »
Glad for him. Real glad. But help me clarify something here. But isn't this a violation of NCAA rules?

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2017, 05:14:39 AM »
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/20170913/sports/jereem-turns-pro

We knew it was coming.

Violation of which NCAA rule Deeks?

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2017, 06:29:18 AM »
I did not read that article specifically mentioned that he turned pro. Well that is good in that he will avoid the college circuit grind in the Olympic year.

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2017, 07:35:20 AM »
Glad for him. Real glad. But help me clarify something here. But isn't this a violation of NCAA rules?
It is not a violation to sign a professional contract. Now that he is signed he will just give up his scholarship, pay his own way through school and cannot run for Alabama. There is only a violation if he signs and then represents Crimson Tide, then it's the University of Alabama's problem.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 07:37:52 AM by Storeboy »
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2017, 10:34:10 AM »
I speculated that he would turn pro after winning two medals at the Worlds. Ato makes a good rationale for Jereems decision. Things that are significant for Jereem:
- just had his breakout season
- No Worlds or Olympics next year's
- The amount of running and the possibility of "bun out " that's comes with the long NCAA program
- Opportunity to make money

http://m.guardian.co.tt/sports/2017-09-16/boldon-backs-richards’-pro-decision

Seems as if Jereem had offers on the table at the end of Worlds. Good decision. More medals coming.

Offline ffisback

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2017, 09:59:36 PM »
To bad D Lendore did not make the same decision he did when he had a chance to skip his last year of collage.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2017, 09:01:55 AM »
To bad D Lendore did not make the same decision he did when he had a chance to skip his last year of collage.

Was quietly thinking the same thing. However I don't think Lendore was offered a sponsorship deal after he won bronze anchoring our Men's 4x400m Relay team at the London Olympics in 2012. Maybe if Deon had won an individual 400m medal in addition to his relay medal in 2012 he may have been offered a sponsorship deal after London 2012.

However if I am not mistaken Lalonde Gordon who won both an individual 400m bronze medal and a 4x400m relay bronze medal at the London 2012 Olympics was offered an Adidas sponsorship deal after the London 2012 Olympics.

Unfortunately for Deon despite his great 400m potential he did not do enough in the individual 400m event at Major international meets while he was at Texas A&M to attract a good enough deal from a big sponsor to allow him to forego the rigorous Texas A&M schedule that they demand of their top college athletes that in most cases see them burnt out by the time they finish their college careers.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 11:04:41 AM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline ffisback

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2017, 04:51:34 PM »

Was quietly thinking the same thing. However I don't think Lendore was offered a sponsorship deal after he won bronze anchoring our Men's 4x400m Relay team at the London Olympics in 2012. Maybe if Deon had won an individual 400m medal in addition to his relay medal in 2012 he may have been offered a sponsorship deal after London 2012.

However if I am not mistaken Lalonde Gordon who won both an individual 400m bronze medal and a 4x400m relay bronze medal at the London 2012 Olympics was offered an Adidas sponsorship deal after the London 2012 Olympics.

Unfortunately for Deon despite his great 400m potential he did not do enough in the individual 400m event at Major international meets while he was at Texas A&M to attract a good enough deal from a big sponsor to allow him to forego the rigorous Texas A&M schedule that they demand of their top college athletes that in most cases see them burnt out by the time they finish their college careers.
D Lendore best year was 2014 when he was unbeaten he could have gone pro that year but he chose to stay in school.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2017, 06:24:20 PM »

D Lendore best year was 2014 when he was unbeaten he could have gone pro that year but he chose to stay in school.

I don't think Deon won any individual 400m medal at any major championships in 2014 which I believe was the year of the last Commonwealth Games held in Scotland.

Can you recall if Deon was offered any major sponsorship deals in 2014 which he turned down?
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)