March 29, 2024, 04:01:54 AM

Author Topic: CONCACAF Nations League Thread  (Read 16272 times)

Offline BBL

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
CONCACAF Nations League Thread
« on: March 15, 2017, 04:13:15 PM »
New competition: CONCACAF Nations League. A new tournament is to be introduced next month.

http://www.concacaf.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/XXXII-CONCACAF-Ordinary-Congress-Agenda-English-3.6.17.pdf

15. Other matters for which due notice has been given
  • CONCACAF Nations League

Not much is known about it. It's to replace some friendlies according to Gordon Derrick.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 01:04:57 PM by Tallman »

Offline BBL

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: New competition: CONCACAF Nations League
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 10:42:19 AM »
Some more details:

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-soccer-americas-league-idUSKBN1791QA

"There has been overwhelming acceptance that it is a great idea and the way we need to go. There are a few formats that we have looked at and we have had various members coming back with ideas. We have a format that we have landed on and we will show it to our members first,

"What people need to realize is that the world of friendlies is going to change, with Europe changing to the Nations League, it is going to get harder to get friendlies," said Montagliani who believes that will be no great loss.

"The truth of the matter is that a lot of the friendlies our nations play, including the bigger nations, are a waste of time, let’s be honest, a lot of them are not quality. You are better off playing a game that actually means something (even) against an opponent, that on paper anyway, may not be as good," he said.

"We need to develop our own competition in our region to make everybody better and then you need to do it at club level as well to raise the standards of our professional leagues and the clubs in them. This is the only way that our countries will get better -- it’s not about playing friendlies against England," he said.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Re: League of Nations Thread.
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 12:11:19 PM »
Exclusive: CONCACAF close to agreeing new 'League of Nations'
By Simon Evans.

Plans for a new league competition for national teams in North and Central America and the Caribbean are set to be agreed on this weekend, the region's football chief has told Reuters.

CONCACAF president Victor Montagliani has been privately sounding out the 41 federations within the region regarding the 'League of Nations' plan, which would effectively eliminate friendlies.

Saturday's CONCACAF congress in Aruba will finalize the structure of the competition, which will include regional powerhouses the United States and Mexico.

The idea is similar to UEFA's plan for a Nations League in Europe, which will replace friendly games and is due to start in September, 2018.

"There has been overwhelming acceptance that it is a great idea and the way we need to go. There are a few formats that we have looked at and we have had various members coming back with ideas. We have a format that we have landed on and we will show it to our members first," Montagliani said in a telephone interview.

The Canadian said once that format had been agreed on then the organization would look to bring in sponsors and broadcast partners.

"We need to look at what needs to happen in the next little bit for us to be able to monetize this and execute it in a timely fashion," he said.

"From a football and technical side for me it is a no-brainer, but now the next evolution is the business side of it. But at the congress we want to finalize the technical side of it."

The new UEFA league means that top teams in CONCACAF will have little or no opportunities for friendly games against European opposition.

"What people need to realize is that the world of friendlies is going to change, with Europe changing to the Nations League, it is going to get harder to get friendlies," said Montagliani who believes that will be no great loss.

"The truth of the matter is that a lot of the friendlies our nations play, including the bigger nations, are a waste of time, let’s be honest, a lot of them are not quality. You are better off playing a game that actually means something (even) against an opponent, that on paper anyway, may not be as good," he said.

CONCACAF is expected to have a three-nation bid to host the 2026 World Cup, involving Mexico, Canada and the United States, and the expansion of that tournament to 48 teams means the region will get six automatic slots in the finals.

Montagliani believes his plan will allow some of the smaller nations in the region to become more competitive.

"We need to develop our own competition in our region to make everybody better and then you need to do it at club level as well to raise the standards of our professional leagues and the clubs in them. This is the only way that our countries will get better -- it’s not about playing friendlies against England," he said.

Montagliani said all nations in the region, including the U.S. and Mexico, would have to play in the competition.

"Once this is an official competition it is not like you will have a choice to opt-out," he said.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2017, 06:38:37 PM »
This is going to be interesting.

There is some talk that another monster tournament similar to 2016 copa americano is being discussed between Conmebol and Concacaf for 2020. Perhaps this league of nations might become the qualifying tournament for Copa 2020. 

For this League of Nations to be worth the watch, there must be something to play for imo.. So this can be a good qualifier for the possible copa 2020.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2017, 11:09:11 PM »
For this League of Nations to be worth the watch, there must be something to play for imo

As long as the money is on the table, anything goes. And as long as this L of N don't sideline the small nations. These bloody Euros want the WC to a be a Euro nations cup with a couple of outsiders. I don't trust them at all.

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2017, 06:44:05 AM »
For this League of Nations to be worth the watch, there must be something to play for imo

As long as the money is on the table, anything goes. And as long as this L of N don't sideline the small nations. These bloody Euros want the WC to a be a Euro nations cup with a couple of outsiders. I don't trust them at all.

Well that is it. I feel UEFA did this to strengthen the teams in their confederation. The rest of the world is slowly catching up.

There are 41 teams in Concacaf. So 10 groups of 4 will probably be the format. I expect the top 10 ranked teams will lead the groups. So it might not be too bad for the smaller nations. But the big nations might not get the benefit. Some groups could look like this:
USA, Nicaragua, Guyana, BVI. If you're Nicaragua or Guyana, this wouldn't be too bad. However, for USA how does playing Guyana or BVI support their development? Who is going to tune in to watch USA play BVI for fun? We know what the scoreline will be by half time. .

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2017, 07:16:50 AM »
for USA how does playing Guyana or BVI support their development? Who is going to tune in to watch USA play BVI for

Good point. I don't know for BVI, but Guyana could improve to TT level(or surpass TT) if their administrators and business people learn from TT missteps. Guyana is on the thresold of producing their vast offshore oil reserves. Hopefully the powers in Guy. will see the benefits in support all sports, not only football and cricket. We will see.

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2017, 08:49:35 AM »

Well that is it. I feel UEFA did this to strengthen the teams in their confederation. The rest of the world is slowly catching up.

There are 41 teams in Concacaf. So 10 groups of 4 will probably be the format. I expect the top 10 ranked teams will lead the groups. So it might not be too bad for the smaller nations. But the big nations might not get the benefit. Some groups could look like this:
USA, Nicaragua, Guyana, BVI. If you're Nicaragua or Guyana, this wouldn't be too bad. However, for USA how does playing Guyana or BVI support their development? Who is going to tune in to watch USA play BVI for fun? We know what the scoreline will be by half time. .

Agreed. For more established nations like US and Mexico there is probably more to lose than to be gained. However, if/once EUFA get's it's nation's league in order, quality friendlies for these teams will be harder to come by. Alternatively, they could use the league as a means of developing talent that is on the fringes of the national team, thereby expanding the pool of players available for national duty.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2017, 10:24:59 AM »
for USA how does playing Guyana or BVI support their development? Who is going to tune in to watch USA play BVI for

Good point. I don't know for BVI, but Guyana could improve to TT level(or surpass TT) if their administrators and business people learn from TT missteps. Guyana is on the thresold of producing their vast offshore oil reserves. Hopefully the powers in Guy. will see the benefits in support all sports, not only football and cricket. We will see.

This is going to be a game changer in all aspects of life in Guyana.

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2017, 10:38:53 AM »

Agreed. For more established nations like US and Mexico there is probably more to lose than to be gained. However, if/once EUFA get's it's nation's league in order, quality friendlies for these teams will be harder to come by. Alternatively, they could use the league as a means of developing talent that is on the fringes of the national team, thereby expanding the pool of players available for national duty.

We are probably in the middle. Sure the games against USA and Mexico will benefit us. However, the games against Haiti, Honduras and JA will bring just as much benefit.

I think a two tiered system will work best for Concacaf. Put the top 12 teams into one tier. Middle 12 teams in next tier. Then a development tier

Tier 1
USA
CR
MEX
PAN
TRI
HON
JAM
HAI
ELS
CAN
CUR
GUA

Tier 2
FGY
MAR
SUR
CUB
SVG
SKN
DR
PR
BEL
NIC
GUY
GRN

Tier (Dev)
BAR
DOM
STL
BAH
BER
BVI etc..

I think something like this will be a better buy for the big USA's Mexicos and Ticos.

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2017, 11:13:24 AM »

We are probably in the middle. Sure the games against USA and Mexico will benefit us. However, the games against Haiti, Honduras and JA will bring just as much benefit.

I think a two tiered system will work best for Concacaf. Put the top 12 teams into one tier. Middle 12 teams in next tier. Then a development tier

I think something like this will be a better buy for the big USA's Mexicos and Ticos.

With promotion and relegation between the tiers. Liking this idea!!  :beermug:
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2017, 12:16:25 PM »
@Mose. If they do go with different tiers, I am almost certain they would incorporate a way to move between the different tiers. So a promotion/relegation system will be likely.

I think the different tier format is the only way for this thing to work.

If Concacaf tries to mitigate the disparity in quality between the teams, then this idea might be good.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2017, 03:33:18 PM »
If this format is to replace friendlies then if South America was included in this then it will be beneficial for both regions. The countries in SA already play each other in WC qualifying, I'm sure they'll like to seek opponents outside their region. Instead of USA playing BVI, it will be beneficial for the likes of USA, CR and Mexico to play the powerhouses like Brazil and Argentina and countries like T&T, Jamaica and Panama can get quality games against Paraguay, Venezuela, Peru, etc.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2017, 11:24:33 PM »
Doesn't tennis has a tier system?

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Concacaf League of Nations
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2017, 09:47:22 AM »
I was speaking to a coach of a club team in the Caribbean. He also has an administrative role with his national team program. Can't reveal his identity, just out of respect for him. Here are some developments regarding the League of Nations so far. Of course this is subject to change according to him.

- There will be a 3 or 4 tiers
- The bottom tier will be development
- 9 to 12 teams per tier.. depending on the number of tiers
- Promotion and relegation between the tiers
- Because the French overseas departments dont get a Fifa Ranking, Concacaf is unsure if they will use the FIFA ranking to determine or seed the teams into the tiers.
- Mexico, USA and Costa Rica will be in the top tier
- Canada might be in the top tier by virtue of having better development/infrastructure than many other countries in CFU and UNCAF
- There is a possibility that this 2017 Gold cup might be used to seed the teams for the 2018 league of nations Concacaf
- Another possibility is that the CFU and UNCAF might be asked to rank the teams in their own region/confederation
- Some of the small islands are concerned about how it's going to be funded.. the costs to travel outside the Caribbean regularly for games might be out of their budget.

Now for the real kicker..
Based on what is floating around, TT might not be starting in the top tier.. It's still early and again this might change
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 09:49:11 AM by gawd on pitch »

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
Re: Concacaf League of Nations
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2017, 11:31:49 AM »
I was speaking to a coach of a club team in the Caribbean. He also has an administrative role with his national team program. Can't reveal his identity, just out of respect for him. Here are some developments regarding the League of Nations so far. Of course this is subject to change according to him.

- There will be a 3 or 4 tiers
- The bottom tier will be development
- 9 to 12 teams per tier.. depending on the number of tiers
- Promotion and relegation between the tiers
- Because the French overseas departments dont get a Fifa Ranking, Concacaf is unsure if they will use the FIFA ranking to determine or seed the teams into the tiers.
- Mexico, USA and Costa Rica will be in the top tier
- Canada might be in the top tier by virtue of having better development/infrastructure than many other countries in CFU and UNCAF
- There is a possibility that this 2017 Gold cup might be used to seed the teams for the 2018 league of nations Concacaf
- Another possibility is that the CFU and UNCAF might be asked to rank the teams in their own region/confederation
- Some of the small islands are concerned about how it's going to be funded.. the costs to travel outside the Caribbean regularly for games might be out of their budget.

Now for the real kicker..
Based on what is floating around, TT might not be starting in the top tier.. It's still early and again this might change

Is Jamaica in the top tier?

TT not being in the top tier is deliberate to prevent us from having better competition on a more consistent basis, which in turn would strengthen our program...
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 11:36:08 AM by Controversial »

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2017, 11:46:32 AM »
I might have misled you. I was using the information I was told to make an assumption about TT being in the top tier. Based on the formulas for picking the teams for the tiers, TT might not be in the top tier. They might not be using FIFA ranking to determine the seeds. It might be the 2017 Gold cup. Or the CFU and UNCAF might get the chance to choose the top teams in their own region for the different tiers.

To answer your question, Jamaica might be in the top tier if they go by the Gold cup performance. Even if the CFU gets to choose the teams for the top tier, I doubt Jamaica won't be chosen.

Also the number of teams per tier is also something to consider. They looking at anywhere between 9 to 12 teams per tier. Last I checked, 12 teams in the Gold cup.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2017, 09:26:13 PM »
Well look at this way. If we can make tier one, the admin. Should be removed.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
CONCACAF League of Nations Confirmed
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2017, 02:45:04 PM »
CONCACAF.com

team competition platform designed to maximize the quality, quantity and frequency of competitive matches for all Member Associations.  The announcement comes following a year-long development and consultation process involving the Member Associations and key stakeholders.

The CONCACAF League of Nations will be based on a league structure in which the national teams of the Confederation’s 41 Member Associations will be included.  They will be divided into three different leagues -- based on their sporting level -- with a champion to be crowned at the end of each edition.  To seed teams into their respective leagues, the League of Nations will begin with a preliminary series of matches played across four different dates beginning in September 2018.

The new tournament will bring meaningful home-and-away matches featuring competition for League titles, performance prizes, and will include promotion and relegation within the system of three leagues.  The Confederation’s teams will also contend -- via the League of Nations -- for the right to play in international championships such as the Gold Cup.  Additionally, the League of Nations will inform a CONCACAF ranking system that will be used as the basis for future World Cup Qualifying seeding.

“This is a watershed moment for CONCACAF.  By focusing on football to provide all our teams with year-round, quality competition, the League of Nations platform means everyone wins,” said CONCACAF President Victor Montagliani.  “This new tournament is highly beneficial to all our Member Associations and fans everywhere, since it provides significant opportunities to play important competitive matches with increased regularity throughout the year.”

CONCACAF has worked with its Member Associations over the past year to develop a competition for national teams, with the goal of improving the quality and standing of football within the CONCACAF region. The process for developing this new competition, anchored on the key principle of providing more meaningful games to all CONCACAF Member Associations’ national teams, in order to increase competitiveness and leverage value intrinsic in the national team platform, entailed extensive consultation and discussions with all key CONCACAF stakeholders.

As a reflection of the ONE CONCACAF vision of President Montagliani, the CONCACAF nations that haven’t historically been top performers will benefit from a wider window of opportunity, not only for competitive matches but for gaining access to top level international competitions.  That increased participation will spur regional development, and keep the dream of international football alive year-round for more nations.

Full details of the CONCACAF League of Nations, including schedule, full format and brand will be announced early next year.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: CONCACAF League of Nations Thread
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2017, 04:43:26 PM »
CONCACAF.com

team competition platform designed to maximize the quality, quantity and frequency of competitive matches for all Member Associations.  The announcement comes following a year-long development and consultation process involving the Member Associations and key stakeholders.

The CONCACAF League of Nations will be based on a league structure in which the national teams of the Confederation’s 41 Member Associations will be included.  They will be divided into three different leagues -- based on their sporting level -- with a champion to be crowned at the end of each edition.  To seed teams into their respective leagues, the League of Nations will begin with a preliminary series of matches played across four different dates beginning in September 2018.

The new tournament will bring meaningful home-and-away matches featuring competition for League titles, performance prizes, and will include promotion and relegation within the system of three leagues.  The Confederation’s teams will also contend -- via the League of Nations -- for the right to play in international championships such as the Gold Cup.  Additionally, the League of Nations will inform a CONCACAF ranking system that will be used as the basis for future World Cup Qualifying seeding.

“This is a watershed moment for CONCACAF.  By focusing on football to provide all our teams with year-round, quality competition, the League of Nations platform means everyone wins,” said CONCACAF President Victor Montagliani.  “This new tournament is highly beneficial to all our Member Associations and fans everywhere, since it provides significant opportunities to play important competitive matches with increased regularity throughout the year.”

CONCACAF has worked with its Member Associations over the past year to develop a competition for national teams, with the goal of improving the quality and standing of football within the CONCACAF region. The process for developing this new competition, anchored on the key principle of providing more meaningful games to all CONCACAF Member Associations’ national teams, in order to increase competitiveness and leverage value intrinsic in the national team platform, entailed extensive consultation and discussions with all key CONCACAF stakeholders.

As a reflection of the ONE CONCACAF vision of President Montagliani, the CONCACAF nations that haven’t historically been top performers will benefit from a wider window of opportunity, not only for competitive matches but for gaining access to top level international competitions.  That increased participation will spur regional development, and keep the dream of international football alive year-round for more nations.

Full details of the CONCACAF League of Nations, including schedule, full format and brand will be announced early next year.

A fella was telling me about this in the summer.

The current proposal on the table in Concacaf, is to have the Gold cup once every 4 years.. And have a "monster tournament" with Conmebol every 4 years.

The Gold cup will be expanded to 16 in 2019. And in 2020 Copa America will have 6 teams from Concacaf.

The preliminary games in September are going to be key. Each team will get 4 games. I would like to know how they will decide who plays who? Those games will determine who what league/tier we get in.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2017, 04:57:34 PM »
They can have all their league of nations setup. Just when WC comes around everybody gets a chance to play. Big nation, small nation. The league of nations is design to weed countries that the so called big countries have no  interest in playing.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Nation’s League to replace Concacaf qualifiers.
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2018, 01:42:30 AM »
Nation’s League to replace Concacaf qualifiers.
By Walter Alibey (Guardian).

A proposed Nation’s League is set replace the Caribbean Cup qualifiers for the Concacaf Gold Cup and World Cup qualifiers in the Concacaf region soon.

David John-Williams, the T&T Football Association president made this revelation during a press conference last Wednesday to announce seven local officials (referees and assistant referees) who obtained their Fifa badges. The event took place at the Ato Boldon Stadium in Couva.

The local football boss congratulated the officials and urged them to continue to lift their standard of officiating, as more matches awaited them in the future, such as at the Nation’s League that will replace the qualifiers for the Gold Cup, beginning in September of this year.

John-Williams told the gathering that a decision was made at a meeting of the Concacaf in November last year, but officials are expected to have further discussions on this initiative in the coming months, as well as the implementation of the same qualifying format for the World Cup Qualifiers.

The new format will see the composition of the Gold Cup expand from 12 to 16 teams and will enable national teams in the region more international friendly matches that will improve the quality and standing of the game.

Concacaf president Victor Montagliani said, “We’re looking to establish a league of nations, where we have some consistency for our countries, where they can play on a more consistent basis.”

He added, “A lot of countries struggle in getting friendlies, getting competitions. We’ve got some of our national teams, whether it be in the Caribbean or Central America or even in North America, like with Canada, where rather than playing 40 games in a four-year period, which is every Fifa date, they play like single digits or 10. You’re not going to grow or develop that way, so this League of Nations concept is for everyone to play on a consistent basis and keep the dream alive to qualify for things like a Gold Cup or obviously a World Cup.”

Montagliani also dismissed the idea of Concacaf merging its Fifa World Cup qualification tournament with CONMEBOL’s (The South American Football Confederation).

John-Williams explained that with the new League, one can see a 41-Concacaf team tournament broken into groups. Though the structure of the League has not yet been established, it is rumoured that the groups will be headed by the six teams that contested the Hex stage of the World Cup qualifiers, all being placed in seeded positions.

The League will also see all the teams in North, Central America and Caribbean merging together, and moving away from the Caribbean Cup which has been one part of the qualification process for the Gold Cup and World Cup.

John-Williams said he believes the new format will help Caribbean nations as they will have to improve their standard tremendously to qualify for both Gold Cup and World Cup.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2018, 07:16:51 AM »
Hope for national teams
RACHELLE AGARD, rachelleagard@nationnews.com
Added 13 January 2018

The Barbados senior men’s football team will boast two English international players by the end of this month when Nick Blackman of Derby County and Omar Beckles from League One join their ranks.This was revealed by the Barbados Football Association’s (BFA) technical director Ahmed Mohamed in a media briefing at the association’s Wildey headquarters on Thursday.
“From the national team side, we are having one or two top international players. We are awaiting their paperwork, which I should have by the end of this month,” he said.
The men’s senior team are scheduled to play several friendly games ahead of the CONCACAF League of Nations in September, beginning with Bermuda on March 25.
Meanwhile, the women’s national team will start their World Cup Qualifiers campaign in May. Before that, they will play two friendly matches: against Martinique on January 27, and against St Kitts on March 25.

Mohamed said he was looking to improve the teams’ FIFA rankings this year, after moving the senior men’s position from 181 to 150, while they got as much exposure as possible by playing as many games as they could.
“As you all see, we are improving. We are doing our work . . . . The Barbados people will see more games than before.
“We have at least seven national teams in competition. I don’t know if that happened before, you can correct me, [but] we’re looking forward to push our boys and girls, men and women to go as far as we can,” he said.
However, the prized jewel of the BFA is currently the Under-17 national team, under head coach Renaldo “PeeWee” Gilkes, who last year won 20 of the 22 games they played.
“Our Under-17 is the team. Last year they really had a great year . . . . This year is another category; they are older and we are hoping and we are positive to reach at least the Caribbean Cup,” Mohamed said.
“For their preparation we are going to start with a tournament in Martinique next month from February 16 to 19.”
The technical director also said that the Under-20 boys will compete in a tournament in Cayman Islands against Cuba, Honduras and Cayman Islands, in addition to competing in the Caribbean Cup.
The younger players [from seven to under-13] will also play in their National Youth Cup, which kicks off at the beginning of April.
“Our youth will play this year at least 21 games, so every club will play at least nine games during that time. The Youth League will follow in August and end in December,” said Mohamed.
“What we are looking to do is double up more the youth football, and give them the opportunity to improve from game to game.
“The reason is simple; because when we play against other countries in the youth categories, we’re playing against players who had a long season with at least 18 to 22 games. We don’t want to have any more gaps in between Barbadian players and global players,” he said.
In addition to those plans, the Grass Roots programme has begun in earnest and will run until year end.
“We are going to select four schools in order to do a new project from CONCACAF Grass Roots,” Mohamed said.
“We also have planned this year a girl’s competition, with the primary and secondary school leagues to be started in March-April.
“Our main goal is to ensure we have enough players coming from the youth side to the senior women’s league. (RA)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
T&T seeded in League A of newly launched Concacaf Nations League
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2018, 01:18:52 PM »
T&T seeded in League A of newly launched Concacaf Nations League
TTFA Media

By virtue of having qualified for the Hexagonal Round of the FIFA World Cup Qualifiers Russia 2018, Trinidad and Tobago along with Costa Rica, Honduras, Mexico, Panama, and the United States  have earned the right to be seeded directly into League A, and therefore will not participate in Nations League Qualifying.

This was disclosed at CONCACAF today  announced the details and structure of the Concacaf Nations League, a new centralized men’s national team competition representing a new era of national team football for Concacaf Member Associations.

The Concacaf Nations League begins in September with a one-off qualifying phase, while the group phase, consisting of three tiered leagues will kick off in 2019. The top league will end with a Final to crown the Nations League champion, and the competition will also serve to unify the qualifying path for the region’s national teams to the newly expanded Gold Cup.

The inaugural Concacaf Nations League competition will be played in the official FIFA match windows in September, October and November, 2019 with a Final Championship to be played in March 2020. All eligible Concacaf Member Associations will be assigned by sporting performance into three leagues: A, B and C.

League A of which T&T has been placed in, will contain four groups of three teams. The winners of each League A group will qualify to the Concacaf Nations League Final Championship, which will determine the champion of the new competition. The teams at the bottom of each League A group will be relegated to League B for the next edition of the tournament.

Trinidad and Tobago head coach Dennis Lawrence, in an immediate reaction, spoke about this development.

“It’s a massive tournament and a very important one of that for the region and it is one I am sure everyone is very excited about. As for us a country, it’s good that we are into League A as one of the teams which made it to the Hex. It puts us into a position where there’s a bit more time for planning and preparation to ensure we are adequately ready for our first point of action in the competition and one which I am sure we will be eagerly awaiting and prepared to enter,” Lawrence told TTFA Media. “It’s a great step for us and we’ll definitely be focusing on making it all the way through and participating in the next Gold Cup especially as we missed out on the last competition,” he added.

TTFA President Daviid John-Williams and General Secretary Justin Latapy-George both attended Wednesday’s launch and draw in Miami.

Concacaf President Victor Montagliani spoke about the competition creating greater opportunities for member associations.

“The launch of the Concacaf Nations League, conceived over the last two years and guided by the ONE Concacaf principles of unity and access for our region’s football, is the defining moment marking the completion of our transition into a new era for our 41-member Concacaf family,” said Montagliani. “The Nations League assures that all our members will have the opportunity to play more and compete more, which in turn will propel greater development of the sport at every level.”

Each league will be sub-divided into groups, in which the participating Member Associations will compete in a home-and-away, round-robin format over the course of the group phase. Nations League scheduling will be centralized in a fan-friendly, evenly distributed “week of football” format, allowing viewers across the region to enjoy quality international football matches at a variety of kickoff times, each day for the entire match window.

How the Concacaf Nations League Works – Watch the Video!

League B will contain four groups of four teams. The winner of each League B group will be promoted to League A, and the bottom team of each League B group will be relegated to League C for the next edition. League C will consist of the remaining MAs divided into four groups. The winner of each League C group will be promoted to League B.

The first edition of the Concacaf Nations League will begin with a one-off Concacaf Nations League Qualifying phase, which will determine which teams are assigned to each league. By virtue of having qualified for the Hexagonal Round of the FIFA World Cup Qualifiers Russia 2018, Costa Rica, Honduras, Mexico, Panama, the United States and Trinidad & Tobago have earned the right to be seeded directly into League A, and therefore will not participate in Nations League Qualifying.  In view of the on-going suspension imposed by FIFA, Guatemala will not be able to participate in CONCACAF Nations League Qualifying.

Watch the Nations League Qualifiers Video

The draw for Nations League Qualifying, which was also held Wednesday in Miami, has sorted the 34 Participating Member Associations into 68 total fixtures, to be played on FIFA match dates from September 2018 through March 2019.  For the up-to-date draw results, please visit www.Concacaf.com.

The results of Nations League Qualifying will be compiled into an aggregate table, ranking the participating teams 1-34 based on points earned, goal difference and a series of additional tie breakers. The table will be used to divide teams into Leagues A, B and C for the first full edition of the Concacaf Nations League. The top six teams from the aggregate table will join the six World Cup Qualifying Hexagonal Round participants in League A, the next 16 teams will qualify for League B, and the remaining teams will be assigned to League C.

The top ten finishers in the Nations League Qualifying final table will also join the six World Cup Hexagonal Round nations in the 2019 Gold Cup, ]which has recently been expanded to 16 teams, providing additional access to top-level football for more of Concacaf’s Member Associations.

The Concacaf Nations League is an on-the-field extension of Concacaf’s new image and brand architecture, which was also launched Wednesday, framing the Confederation’s efforts around the core ONE Concacaf vision of developing and stewarding the game on the pillars of Unity, Access, Football and Quality. In that spirit, the Nations League will provide greatly expanded access for Concacaf’s Member Associations to international football, enhancing the development of football across the region at all levels.

“The new brand image cements our unified philosophy of ONE Concacaf, and the Nations League brings that philosophy to life on the field of play, promising a brighter future in football for all our Member Associations and the players and fans they represent.”

Click here for League of Nations FAQ

Click here for League of Nation Highlights
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: CONCACAF Nations League Thread
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2018, 02:17:08 PM »
Based on what I read, we automatically qualify for 2019 Gold cup by virtue of being a Hex participant.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2018, 02:21:30 PM »
Not making it to Russia was monumental. Qualification would have been an incubator for the Pro League.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2018, 02:34:26 PM »
FYI Guatemala is currently suspended by FIFA and are barred from taking part at this point. In case anybody was doing the maths and realize a team missing.
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Thomo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2018, 04:06:13 PM »
Great revenue generator. Hopefully we can scout some guys and blood some new talent and increase our profile. Sadly we don't have a good enough programme to produce a large pool of talent and players so we gotta check the UK and US. This league will improve the quality of our football and also attract scouts. Hopefully the powers that be don't f**k it up!!

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2018, 04:14:52 PM »
So Mr. DJW, I do hope you get the resources so that we can stay in Tier1.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: CONCACAF News Thread
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2018, 01:16:15 PM »
Footballers with Bajan dads ready to rep the blue, yellow, black

When the Barbados men’s senior football team faceoff against their Guyanese counterparts on Thursday evening, in the opening game of the CONCACAF Nations League, at the National Track and Field Center in Guyana, two debutants are expected to be in the starting line-up.

English-based duo Hallam Hope and Krystian Pearce will likely feature in the first 11 of the Tridents lineup, in an encounter that can set the trend for their tournament campaign, which includes Latin American nations El Salvador and Nicaragua, along with regional minnows;  the United States Virgin Islands.

Both players said they are eager and excited to represent the country of their fathers, as they have been waiting for a call-up to the senior Tridents for some time, following their successful stints in the English Youth national teams.

Pearce, a towering center back who represents Mansfield Town Football Club in the English League Two division represented England at the U17 and U19 level, where he played in the 2007 FIFA World Cup and the 2007 European Championship, then later that year made his debut for the U19 team and represented England at the 2008 U19 European Championship.

Along with junior international experience, Pearce has played as high as the Championship division, therefore bringing a wealth of knowledge to the Trident’s camp.

“I’ve got some experience to bring, pace, power, comfortable on the ball, so I hopefully can bring that to the team”, said Pearce.

Hope, has a closer connection, for he lived here for five years and is close friend of Neighbourhood Care Pharmacy Weymouth Wales player Omari Eastmond.

The former Manchester City and Everton FC player now represents Carlisle United in League Two, where he leads the front line and will be expected to do so versus the Golden Jaguars on Thursday evening.

Hope identifies that goals are needed and he is prepared to provide them; he said, “I bring goals, more of an attacking threat and some experience”.

Pearce and Hope spoke ardently about the importance of claiming a victory in their first encounter, for they see it as the first and necessary step to the team’s destination of the CONCACAF Gold Cup.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

1]; } ?>