March 28, 2024, 07:48:48 AM

Author Topic: Ryan Telfer Thread  (Read 23689 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Ryan Telfer Thread
« on: March 29, 2017, 07:11:45 AM »
Toronto FC II sign Ryan Telfer
Toronto FC Communications

Toronto FC II announced Friday that the club has signed forward Ryan Telfer to a USL contract.

“Ryan has been training with us since the beginning of training camp and has fit in well within the group,” said Toronto FC II Head Coach Jason Bent. “He is a player that has good pace and can add a new dimension to the team’s attack. I would also like to thank Carmine Isacco and York University for their role in helping to develop Ryan.”

Telfer, 23, spent the past two seasons at York University. During the 2016 season, he appeared in 14 matches registering five goals and two assists for the Lions. He earned OUA West second-team all-star honours and helped York capture the OUA silver medal. During the 2015 season, he appeared in four matches registering one goal and helped the lions capture both the OUA and CIS championship. Prior to joining York University, Telfer played his youth soccer with the Erin Mills Eagles. 

TRANSACTION: Toronto FC II signed forward Ryan Telfer

RYAN TELFER
Position: Forward
Height: 5’11
Weight: 180
Birthdate: March 4, 1994
Birthplace: Toronto, ON
Hometown: Mississauga, ON
Nationality: Canadian
Last Club: York University
Pronunciation: “TEL-FUR”
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 02:49:11 PM by Tallman »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Toronto FC II sign Ryan Telfer
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 07:14:32 AM »
WATCH: Ryan Telfer scores on his debut for Toronto FC II against Phoenix Rising FC

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/8boJwxHu56Q" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/8boJwxHu56Q</a>

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 08:40:02 AM »
So wha de f00ck he ha to do with anything?

He related to Gino?

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Young Toronto FC II forward, Ryan Telfer, pays quick dividends
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 09:26:26 AM »
Young Toronto FC II forward, Ryan Telfer, pays quick dividends
By Neil Davidson (The Canadian Press)

Ryan Telfer wasted little time making his mark after signing with Toronto FC 2.

The 23-year-old former York University forward, who officially joined Toronto FC's USL feeder club last Friday, scored eight minutes into his pro debut Saturday night to secure a 1-0 win over Phoenix Rising FC before a soldout crowd of 6,890 in Scottsdale, Ariz.

"It was out of this world, to be honest," Telfer said in his lilting Trinidadian accent. "Walking on the field and you have thousands watching you, it was almost like a dream. When you're growing up as a kid, these are things you want to do.

"It's so hard to explain that feeling, just walking into the stadium."

TFC 2 coach Jason Bent appreciates the feel-good story. While the former Canadian international's job is about trying to groom players for his team's MLS big brother, he and his staff also help unearth talent.

Telfer was invited to a TFC-organized college combine late last year after Bent and assistant coach Chris Pozniak, who knew York coach Carmine Isacco and his roster, suggested adding some local players.

A good showing there led to a training camp invitation.

"We thought he was something different — left-footed, very very quick, direct, strong and brave, very very brave," said Bent. "He settled into pre-season camp and did more than fine."

Telfer scored a number of goals in pre-season and convinced the coaching staff he belonged in a fine performance against Ottawa Fury FC.

The young forward paid them back in Phoenix.

"You always want players to justify your selections and he definitely took his opportunity, so it's more down to him than us," said Bent. "It was a good performance from him. He was a threat all night long. They couldn't handle his pace. ... All in all, a good encouraging debut."

His goal was icing on the cake. A sliding Telfer capped off an eight-pass movement that featured a fine through ball from midfielder Jay Chapman and a low accurate cross raked into the penalty box by forward Ben Spencer.

"I couldn't have scored the goal without Chapman and Spencer. And the other bunch of guys that were playing," Telfer said. "They just made it happen. All I had to do was put the finishing touch to it."

The five-foot-11 180-pound Telfer, who started soccer as a goalkeeper before switching to wingback, midfielder and ultimately forward, has been waiting a long time to be noticed. Growing up, Trinidad soccer officials ignored him.

"I've always been looked past, my entire life — until now," he said.

Born in Canada to parents from Trinidad and Tobago, Telfer grew up in Chaguanas in central Trinidad but regularly visited family here. He moved to Canada when he was 17 for school.

These days he is three years into a civil engineering degree at York University, although his studies have been reduced to part-time to fit his soccer in. He practises in the morning, goes to classes in the afternoon and then hits the books in the library in the evening.

He lives in suburban Mississauga which makes for quite a commute to the club's north Toronto training centre. "It's like five buses," he said with a laugh. "Bit of a hectic journey."

A good time to study?

"I use that time to sleep," he laughed.

Toronto FC plays its next two games in Florida, taking on the Tampa Bay Rowdies on Saturday and Orlando City B on Tuesday

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 09:42:55 AM »

He related to Gino?

Born in Canada, grew up in T&T, went to Fatima. Actually, he is related to another forumite.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 12:30:57 PM by Tallman »

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 12:22:15 PM »

He related to Gino?

How all of a sudden everybody calling out de man name so?
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 12:25:49 PM »

He related to Gino?

musbe ah Hartful reflex action   :devil:

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2017, 01:25:33 PM »

He related to Gino?

:rotfl:
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2017, 02:04:11 PM »
5 buses .....ah hope some other yutes who read that take heed

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2017, 09:22:52 PM »

He related to Gino?

:rotfl:

ah dead.
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2017, 12:02:37 PM »
5 buses .....ah hope some other yutes who read that take heed
That's true dedication right there

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2017, 01:03:33 PM »
One to watch!

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2017, 03:57:51 PM »
I went to St. Joseph RC with a guy name Ian Telfer. Any relations?

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
We are TFC II - Ryan Telfer
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2017, 01:44:53 PM »
We are TFC II - Ryan Telfer
By Adam Krueger (torontofc.com)

On this week’s edition of We Are TFC II, we sit down with forward Ryan Telfer.

What has been your favourite moment in your soccer career thus far?

Telfer: Scoring my first pro goal in my first pro start against Phoenix Rising.

Can you take us through that moment?

Telfer: It was unexpected for sure. I was surprised to score in the first seven minutes of my debut. It was an incredible feeling, to be honest. To put the ball in the back of the net to give your team the first goal of the season is truly remarkable.

At what moment did you know you could go pro?

Telfer: When I first got an email from Toronto FC for an invite to the college showcase.

What was it like to go through the showcase?

Telfer: Only a few players from Ontario got selected along with some US based players, after that two-day trial I was invited to preseason. I was like, let’s give it a shot. In preseason, I got to witness what it really takes to become a professional soccer player.

Do you have a coach/mentor who has impacted your soccer career?

Telfer: Carmine Isacco [York University Coach], he believed in my ability and gave me the shot I needed.

You come from the York University program. How was your experience there?

Telfer: It is a great system at York. I got my first playing time two years ago. I started on the bench, last season is when I really got some minutes as a starter. Carmine Isacco put all his faith in me and I showed it out there on the field and gave it my all.

You won two national championships at York. What was that like?

Telfer: To win back-to-back championships. You don’t see that in Canadian university sports. And to win the second one at home in front our fans, it was incredible. It was great to win the championship and bring it back to York.

A player you like to model your game after?

Telfer:  None. I always liked to be creative and be myself.

Taking a quick look at your phone, which photo in it means the most to you?

Telfer: A picture of my nieces and my girlfriend. It makes me realise how lucky and grateful I am to have them in my life.

How do you like to spend your free time?

Telfer: Video Games

Do you have a favourite game?

Telfer: I’m a hardcore Pokemon fan.

Pokemon Go?

Telfer: No Pokemon Go. Just the main RPG games.

You have a favourite generation?

Telfer: Gen two is always a favourite.

Do you have a favourite movie?

Telfer: Harry Potter

Music Artist?

Telfer: Coldplay

If you weren’t playing soccer what would you be doing?

Telfer: I’m still in school trying to get my Bachelors of Science in Civil Engineering so I’m currently still doing it so hopefully I’ll be able to finish that up in the next two years.

Why Civil Engineering?

Telfer: When I was coming out of high school I wasn’t sure of what I wanted to do. I first thought I wanted to be an architect at first but I knew that field was flooded right now so one of my guidance counselors told me that the engineering spectrum is a great area right now. I chose civil [engineering] because I am good at physics and calculus.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
Re: Ryan Telfer Thread
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2018, 10:19:28 AM »
Niceness

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2018, 05:13:39 PM »
Ryan Telfer, a month after signing with Toronto FC:

“Being in a professional environment has given me a new outlook on how [it] looks,” said Telfer. “I wanted to adapt and adjust to that lifestyle, to understand how these players play in the big leagues. I wanted to be like them. To work hard every day and see how far it would take me.”

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2018, 10:00:21 PM »
Telfer scored his first goal tonight for Toronto.

Game winner in the 87th min 2-1 against Orlando
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2018, 01:35:02 AM »
Nice goal.  Left footed volley.

Canadian sportscasters already calling him the Canadian from Mississauga....
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2018, 01:02:59 PM »
WATCH: Ryan Telfer’s first MLS goal gives Toronto FC a 2-1 win over Orlando City

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/9E53uZbW9go" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/9E53uZbW9go</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Ryan Telfer making the most of opportunity with Toronto FC
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2018, 04:39:37 PM »
Ryan Telfer making the most of opportunity with Toronto FC
By Neil Davidson (The Canadian Press)

It’s early days yet but the 24-year-old midfielder-forward from Mississauga, via Trinidad and Tobago, is turning heads. Telfer topped off a man-of-the-match performance Friday night with the winning goal in Toronto FC’s 2-1 victory over Orlando City SC.

Telfer, making his fourth start, opened his MLS account with a beauty — a left-footed volley off a long-distance cross from Brazilian fullback Auro.

Two years ago, Telfer was scoring goals for York University. He was invited to a TFC-organized college combine in late 2016 after then-Toronto FC 2 coach Jason Bent and assistant coach Chris Pozniak, who knew York coach Carmine Isacco and his roster, suggested adding some local players.

A good showing there led to a training camp invitation.

“We thought he was something different — left-footed, very very quick, direct, strong and brave, very very brave,” Bent said at the time. “He settled into pre-season camp and did more than fine.”

The five-foot-11 180-pounder wasted little time marking his mark after signing with TFC 2 in March 2017. He scored eight minutes into his pro debut in a 1-0 win over Phoenix Rising FC before a sold-out crowd of 6,890 in Scottsdale, Ariz.

Telfer, who had one goal and one assist in 29 TFC 2 matches last season, only signed a first-team deal in mid-April.

His first three starts were at left fullback thanks to a rash of injuries. He moved up to the left side of midfield against Orlando, giving makeshift fullback Will Johnson — in his 249th career MLS start — fits with his probing runs and crosses.

“He did exactly what we wanted him to do on the attacking side,” said coach Greg Vanney. “Which was get on the ball when he could and be aggressive and try to run at the outside back.”

“He gave us an honest day’s work defensively,” he added.

Added midfielder Jay Chapman: “He was dangerous all game.”

Telfer hardly cracked a smile after scoring, admitting later: “To be honest, it hasn’t sunk it as of yet.”

“I’m just happy to be part of the team and help these guys win,” he said in his lilting Trinidadian accent.

With Justin Morrow a long-term casualty with a calf injury and Ashtone Morgan nursing a sore hamstring, Toronto has been short on the left side. Telfer has proved to be a useful, albeit very soft-spoken, addition.

“He’s another guy that’s stepped in and learned and only gotten better with every game he’s played,” said defender Eriq Zavaleta.

“He’s a good kid. He works hard,” he added.

Captain Michael Bradley also likes what he sees, pointing to Telfer’s athleticism, power and competitiveness.

“When we needed a play tonight, he came through for us.”

Born in Canada to parents from Trinidad and Tobago, Telfer grew up in Chaguanas in central Trinidad but regularly visited family here. He moved to Canada for school when he was 17.

Signing with Toronto FC has not gone to his head. He continued his civil engineering degree at York on a part-time basis. And he took a procession of buses to get to the team’s north Toronto training ground.

Telfer, who started soccer as a goalkeeper before switching to wingback, midfielder and ultimately forward, has been waiting a long time to be noticed. Growing up, Trinidad soccer officials ignored him.

“I’ve always been looked past, my entire life — until now,” he said after joining TFC 2.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Ryan Telfer contributing after unexpected path to Toronto FC
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2018, 03:56:08 PM »
Ryan Telfer contributing after unexpected path to Toronto FC
By Sam Stejskal (mlssoccer.com)

That wild story that was floating around the internet about Ryan Telfer over the weekend?

It’s not true, according to the Toronto FC player.

While the 24-year-old Telfer was not, in fact, first noticed by the Reds at a chance men’s league indoor match against TFC GM Tim Bezbatchenko, his actual path to the pros is only slightly less unlikely.

Telfer didn’t turn professional until he was 23, years after most top prospects get their start. His first pro deal wasn’t even in MLS, with the Mississauga, Ontario native signing a USL contract with Toronto FC II last March.

Less than a year earlier, after barely playing in his first two years of Canadian college soccer, reaching that level looked like a pipe dream for Telfer.

“I think around 21, around that age I realized I was getting a little bit too old. I thought I was getting a little bit too old to be recognized, to be professional,” Telfer told MLSsoccer.com over the phone earlier this week.

It’s not hard to see why he felt that way. Telfer and his family moved from Ontario to Trinidad when he was less than a year old. He didn’t return to Canada until he was 17. After a couple of years in the Canadian Soccer League and League1 Ontario, he walked on to the team at York University 2014.

At first, it was tough sledding for Telfer at York. He didn’t earn a single minute in his first year at school and only played in four matches in his second season. Minutes weren’t guaranteed in his third year, but Telfer earned time – and took full advantage of it. He recorded five goals and two assists in 14 starts in the 2016 season, earning a conference all-star nod and, crucially, working himself onto TFC’s radar.

TFC II head coach Jason Bent and assistant Chris Pozniak pushed for Telfer to be invited to the club’s annual college combine in December 2016, where Telfer’s solid play earned him an invite to TFC II’s 2017 preseason camp. Once more, Telfer took advantage, impressing enough to earn his first pro offer that March.

He appeared in 29 games for TFC II in 2017, recording one goal and four assists while primarily playing at left wing back. He spent time with Toronto’s first-team for portions of the 2018 preseason, then, as the team were dealing with a raft of injuries and resting their starters in MLS matches due to their Concacaf Champions League run, got signed by the big club in April.

He’s started four games since, with his best performance coming in last Friday’s win against Orlando, Telfer’s first start at winger. He terrorized Lions right back Will Johnson in the first half, regularly beating him on the dribble to setup several excellent chances, including a point-blank look for forward Jordan Hamilton. He saved his best moment for the dying minutes, however, smashing an Auro cross out of the air and into the back of the net in the 87th minute to give Toronto a much-needed 2-1 victory.

He’s been understated with media since, preferring to let his performance speak for him.

“I was just happy to get the three points that we needed so badly,” he said. “It was just important for me to lift the spirits of the team and that was the only thing I was thinking at the time.”

It’s unlikely that Telfer will continue to consistently start once TFC return to health, but his contributions over the last month are a good illustration that, even though he got a late start, not every player needs to come through the prescribed path to make an impact as a pro.

“I quickly understood that most players who went to MLS in their first season were starting at a much younger age,” he said. “For me, I just wanted to give myself a chance to adapt quicker than others. I wanted to grasp the whole concept of the tactical game, the technical game and just try to work harder than everyone else so I could be at that same level as them when they would be 24. That’s what I try to do every day.”

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2018, 04:23:46 PM »
Kinda hoping Lawrence doh blight him by calling him to we National team. Anyway we might need him to give we women team a practice match, the way things going lately.   :devil:   :devil:

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
York9 FC acquires Ryan Telfer on loan from Toronto FC
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2019, 08:07:21 PM »
York9 FC acquires Ryan Telfer on loan from Toronto FC
York9 FC Staff

York9 FC has acquired Ryan Telfer on a season-long loan from Toronto FC, bringing on the Canadian left winger for the inaugural 2019 Canadian Premier League season.

Telfer, 25, made 15 regular season appearances for the Reds in the 2018 MLS season, starting nine times.

Telfer featured for both the York University Lions and for League1 Ontario’s Vaughan Azzurri during his youth playing days, with the Mississauga native joining Toronto FC II in 2017 ahead of his graduation to the senior team in the following year.

He joins York9 FC to play under head coach Jimmy Brennan, who is excited about the prospect of adding the versatile left-sided player to his ranks.

“I think everyone knows who Ryan is and we think he’s a player who is going to help our squad,” Brennan said. “It’s going to be good for him, and good for our relationship with TFC. With Ryan coming here, he’s going to play a significant role with us and be a leader, on and off the pitch.

“He’s going to bring a different dimension to our team and we’re excited to work with Ryan and see him in a York9 jersey for this coming season.”

Brennan also affirmed that the cross-city connection between the two clubs would be fostered with this first MLS-to-CPL loan.

“Myself in particular, I have a good relationship with Toronto FC and the people upstairs,” Brennan said. “It’s the game of football – it’s about creating relationships and working with each other.

“This is an example where both of us are in each others’ backyards and this will be beneficial for us and for TFC.” said York9 President Preben Ganzhorn. “We’ve known Ryan for a long time and seen him developing and getting his games, but it’s an opportunity now for him to come to this side and get more games under his belt. We’re looking forward to it.”.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Ryan Telfer soaks in 2nd pre-season after ‘out of the blue’ loan
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2019, 09:36:54 AM »
Ryan Telfer soaks in 2nd pre-season after ‘out of the blue’ loan
By Armen Bedakian (canpl.ca)

For most of the Canadian Premier League’s crop of talented footballers, a league-wide foray to the Dominican Republic for pre-season training is a final step toward getting into tip-top shape ahead of kickoff on April 27.

But York9 FC’s Ryan Telfer is in a bit of a different situation.

See, while Telfer’s teammates get up to pace under the Caribbean sun, he’s getting back to work – back, indeed, for this is Telfer’s second pre-season in as many months, having already spent time in California from late January through February with his parent club Toronto FC.

Two full pre-season camps ought to get a player in the best shape of his life by our count.

And, as an aside, perhaps the York9 FC loanee is one of the more fortuitous players in the league, as far as enduring the Canadian winter is concerned.

“Some people might say so!” Telfer replied, when posed that very thought by CanPL.ca. “Around Christmas time for my vacation, I also went back home to Trinidad. I really skipped the winter cold … and I’m happy that I did – I guess I’m quite a lucky guy!”

When Telfer returned from California, he didn’t expect to be back in a pre-season camp for quite some time. But, with Toronto FC looking to loan out their left-winger for more meaningful minutes, the opportunity to start fresh was born when Carm Isacco – once his coach at York University – heard of a possible loan arrangement.

“It came out the blue,” Telfer said, of his loan move. “I knew something was in the works, so TFC came to me and said ‘We would like you to go on loan and get some minutes under your belt, so you can come back and be more of a main figure at TFC.’

“One of those loan options was Ottawa, and some of the other TFC guys went there (on loan) as well,” Telfer continued. “Then Carm found out, and he believed it would be a better fit for me to be at York9, stay close to home, and get some meaningful minutes as well.

“I totally agreed with that. It was a better fit for me. It’s been perfect.”

Reunited with Isacco, Telfer has been more than impressed with his new environment, too.

“The one big thing I can compare (between TFC and Y9) is the professionalism that I see in training and beyond with the club,” Telfer offered. “I’ve been honestly impressed so far, to see that a new team could have these professional standards that they’re upholding. I’m very pleased. From the first day I came in, I’ve been impressed.”

Part of that is working with head coach Jimmy Brennan, who Telfer said gives off the “mannerisms that make you feel almost like your coach is a teammate alongside you on the field.”

Another big factor? A new role in the middle, with plenty of room to roam.

“Here, I’m playing central midfield more in a free role when I can play on the wing if I need to,” Telfer revealed. “They want no restrictions on me, and want me to play with total freedom.”

Telfer may not have expected his 2019 season to turn out this way, but a saunter down south sets the stage for a historic moment he’s now eagerly anticipating – the inaugural match at Tim Hortons Field.

“It sits in my mind the entire time, knowing that you get to be on that roster of players walking out and making history for the first time with a professional, top-flight league in Canada,” Telfer concluded.

“It’s honestly mind-blowing. I’m so proud to be a part of what Canadian soccer will be, as a whole.”

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
No better feeling’: Y9’s Telfer on scoring 1st goal in CPL history
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2019, 07:34:13 PM »
No better feeling’: Y9’s Telfer on scoring 1st goal in CPL history
By Marty Thompson (canpl.ca)

It hadn’t hit Ryan Telfer until after the full-time whistle.

Makes sense, considering when and how his historic goal came about.

Just as supporters, players and coaches at Tim Hortons Field revelled in the euphoric state induced by the initial ceremonies and pomp surrounding the first match in the Canadian Premier League’s history, it happened.

York9 captain Manny Aparicio cut the Forge FC’s backline with a smart through pass, which Telfer wiggled through a sliding defender. That opened up a 1-v-1 opportunity with Forge goalkeeper Triston Henry. Telfer wouldn’t miss his mark.

In the 3rd minute, Ryan Telfer became the first goalscorer in CPL history.

“It’s a special feeling. Just to be known as the first goalscorer in this new league is something special to me,” Telfer told reporters after the match, having just seen messages from family, friends and supporters.

“It honestly hits inside. There’s no better feeling than having family members being proud of you.”

The 25-year-old referred to the goal “something done on the training pitch” following the match, which ended in a 1-1 draw after Kadell Thomas’ equalizer in the 78th minute.

“Realizing Manny had space and time to turn, there was only one thing on the mind. Manny knew exactly where I was gonna be.”

The on-loan Toronto FC midfielder, one of the biggest names listed to any CPL roster heading into the league’s first season, added the momentous goal loosened up his less professionally-experienced teammates.

“(The early goal) took a lot of pressure off the backs of players that are playing in their first professional game. It lets them relax and play free,” Telfer said.

Prepared to walk away from Tim Hortons Field honours even and history made, Telfer put the support of his family, specifically his dad, front and centre.

“He’s always been my main supporter from Day 1,” Telfer said. “Reading that text from after coming back to the locker room means a lot to me.”

From Telfer’s “Day 1” to the CPL’s “Day 1”.

A fitting end to an unforgettable day in Hamilton.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/5xLifuyEEcA?start=12" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/5xLifuyEEcA?start=12</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2019, 10:01:09 PM »
WATCH: Ryan Telfer's game-winner advances York9 FC to the second round of the Canadian Championship after a 1-0 win over AS Blainville.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/yV9b4D2UrP0?start=47" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/yV9b4D2UrP0?start=47</a>

1]; } ?>