March 28, 2024, 07:24:29 AM

Author Topic: WI vs Pakistan, 3rd T-20, POS, TT, April 1, 2017  (Read 1105 times)

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
WI vs Pakistan, 3rd T-20, POS, TT, April 1, 2017
« on: April 02, 2017, 10:48:17 AM »

http://www.guardian.co.tt/sports/2017-04-02/lewis-lashes-pakistan
Vinode Mamchan
Published: 
Sunday, April 2, 2017

To the strains of MX Prime’s ‘hold dem and wuk dem’ Evin Lewis took cue and did exactly that against the Pakistanis, as he took West Indies to their first win of the series at the Queen’s Park Oval yesterday. 
For once the fans at the Oval left happy as the left-hander slammed 91 to take the West Indies to a seven-wicket victory, with a whopping 5.1 overs left. Lewis carved the bowling to all parts of the ground to keep his team’s chances of saving this series alive and well. His performance presents the host with a chance of squaring the series 2-2 when the final game in the series takes place at the same venue.
Chasing 137 was tricky given what has transpired in this series with the West Indies batting, but after an early let off Lewis was able to put things right. The man from Tableland in south Trinidad was on fire at the Oval and took the bowling by the scruff of the neck to bring joy to the estimated 5,000 fans who stayed loyal to West Indies cricket. He got out just before the victory was formalised, having faced just 51 balls and hitting nine sixes and five fours.

After his century against India last year in Fort Lauderdale, USA, Lewis entered a slump where he got only 24 runs from five matches before yesterday. Lewis was happy to deliver after being run out in the first two games.

“Well, I got run out in both games, so I was very happy to be out here and getting runs today. I have been working hard with Toby Radford in the nets and this has worked fine for me and I am looking to come back tomorrow and deliver again for my team,” Lewis said.
Jason Mohammed, coming into the game to make his debut at the International T20 level, proved a vital cog in the wheel, as he added 76 of 6.4 overs with Lewis. Mohammed was there at the end unbeaten on 17 of 15 balls with two fours.

Nineteen-year-old spinner Shadab Khan, who played a key role in the visitors previous two victories, was finally tamed when the three overs he bowled went for 38 runs before he got the prized scalp of Lewis.
Earlier, Pakistan won the toss and decided to take first strike with the thinking that the afternoon sun would bake the pitch and assist their spinners later on. Skipper Sarfraz Ahmed must have had second thoughts after the first over, as two wickets fell to leg-spinner Samuel Badree.
Before the fans could settle, Ahmed Shazad slammed the first ball for four, Badree responded by touching his timber next ball and two balls later, the promoted Imad Wasim was stumped without scoring.
Cousins Akmal and Azam then got together and re-started the innings for the Pakistanis. They were aided by some poor stuff from fast bowlers Jason Holder and Carlos Brathwaite and the pair regrouped and was able to get their team back on track. Akmal was aggressive, while Azam displayed the controlled hand and the partnership worked nicely.

In an effort to get a breakthrough, Brathwaite threw the ball to Marlon Samuels for his first bowl in international cricket for quite a while, after his ban from the International Cricket Council (ICC). The Jamaican started in fine style removing Akmal with his first ball for 48 of 37 balls. His innings included four fours and two sixes.

After that the West Indies were back in the game and when Babar Azam fell for 43 and Shoaib Malik fell for three, the West Indies pushed and reduced the visitors to 137.
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

1]; } ?>