April 25, 2024, 09:53:07 AM

Author Topic: Che Benny Thread.  (Read 6559 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Che Benny Thread.
« on: May 19, 2017, 05:01:41 AM »
Che Benny dribbling ahead of Manchester United experience.
ttproleague.com.

St. Ann’s Rangers Under-17 midfield prodigy Che Benny and Antigua and Barbuda’s Ronaldo Flowers will both jet off on Thursday, with their destination Manchester United in England, after winning the Flow Ultimate Football Experience 2017 challenge final at President’s Ground in St. Ann’s, Trinidad two weekends ago.

Benny, 16, and 13-year-old Flowers, fondly referred to as ‘little Ronaldo (Brazil)’, stood out amongst a group of 30 finalists from across the Caribbean who were put to the test by Manchester United academy coaches Mike Neary and William Miller.

Benny, who scored an instinctive half-line goal during the first of two scrimmages during the Flow Ultimate Football Experience final, said it’s a dream come true to visit his favourite club, Manchester United, and meet his favourite player, Spain’s Juan Mata, as well other stars such as France international Paul Pogba and Spain international Ander Herrera.

“It was at the start of the second half and I (quickly) spotted to goalkeeper off his line,” said the Belmont-born Trinidad and Tobago Under-17 footballer as he recalled the moment. “After I scored Mike (Neary) came and congratulated me, and he gave me a wink. I knew from then I had made it, although it didn’t stop me from working.”

Benny also said that Dwight Yorke, the Tobago-born Manchester United legend and ambassador who he had bet before for shooting tips during a training session with the T&T U17s, had reminded him on the day that he was representing Trinidad and Tobago in the Flow Ultimate Football Experience challenge.

Benny who dribbled his way to the top prize said he has also been weaving through all the attention over the past two weeks which included on-camera interviews.

Flowers, who, like Benny, wants to become a professional footballer, said, “The [Ultimate Football Experience] challenge was very difficult because there were other talented players but I played hard.”

“This is once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and definitely the ‘ultimate football experience’ that these two young footballers have been given through Flow’s partnership with Manchester United,” said Wendy McDonald, Flow’s senior director of communications for the Caribbean, in a news release by the company. “We will continue to follow their journey to Manchester United and we hope this will encourage even more aspiring footballers from the Caribbean to be ready for opportunities like this.”

Rangers U17 coach Everette “Rocket” Williams, who will accompany Benny and his uncle Kevin Villafana, said the visit will include touring the famous Manchester United museum, witnessing a training session under the Red Devils’ first team boss José Mourinho and witness the club’s final English Premier League clash of the season against Crystal Palace at Old Trafford on Sunday.

Benny and his coach are both hoping he also gets a chance showcase his talent against Manchester United academy players, and experience a glimpse at life at one of the world’s most-recognised and symbolic athletic centres, the state-of-the-art Aon Training Complex.

“Football is everything to Benny and he has always been committed to the game,” said Williams. “It’s a great joy for him. But it’s also a great joy for me because his effort has also fulfilled one of my biggest dreams, which is to meet one of the top coaches of the world, José Mourinho.

“We never doubted Benny would top the [Flow Ultimate Football Experience challenge]. Every game in the (Flow) Youth Pro League Benny stands out as the man-of-the-match. He is a naturally gifted player and all we had to do was polish him Rangers. He is also a very humble youngster that makes everyone around him happy – an excellent role model for other young players.”

Benny, who joined Rangers seven years ago from Trendsetter Hawks, a former club of his coach Williams, also represents St. Anthony’s College.

Last February, in a 3-3 draw between Rangers and Club Sando, he became the first 16-year-old in the history of the Pro League to score a top-flight double.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 05:19:11 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
Re: Che Benny Thread.
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 11:18:55 AM »
Nice article.. no video of him playing? Dada produce another talent

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 01:14:47 PM »
Rangers U17 coach Everette “Rocket” Williams, who will accompany Benny and his uncle Kevin Villafana, said the visit will include touring the famous Manchester United museum, witnessing a training session under the Red Devils’ first team boss José Mourinho and witness the club’s final English Premier League clash of the season against Crystal Palace at Old Trafford on Sunday.
I'm happy for Kevin and his nephew, I totally forgot Benny was his sister's kid. Wonderful experience for them!

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2017, 07:38:56 AM »
Under-17 footballer Benny eyes pro contract in Europe.
By Jelani Beckles (Newsday).

NATIONAL Under-17 footballer Che Benny has his eyes set on a professional contract in Europe and playing for the Trinidad and Tobago men’s team, following his experience at Manchester United recently.

Benny, along with 13-year-old Antiguan Ronaldo Flowers, were chosen to go to Manchester United after reaching the final round of the Flow Ultimate Football Experience, held in Trinidad earlier this month. The football clinic was hosted by Flow and Manchester United. Benny and Flowers were the stand-out performers in the clinic which included youngsters from throughout the Caribbean.

Speaking to Newsday yesterday following his trip, the 16-year-old Benny said he is hoping to return to England in July, and travel to Holland in an effort to get a professional contract. Benny said, “The goal is to go back out there and see if a professional team can see me, and eventually sign a contract.” Benny said that Wigan Athletic is one of the clubs that has expressed interest in him.

The Form Four St Anthony’s College student is also hoping for a men’s team call up at 17 years old.

“My goal for myself is to make the senior team, and show the country that there is an upcoming Che Benny.” Benny and Flowers attended a Premier League match between Manchester United and Crystal Palace last Sunday. Benny said it was the most memorable part of the trip.

“The best moment of the experience at Manchester United was looking at the game between Manchester United and Crystal Palace. Getting to see players like Paul Pogba and Juan Mata, it was excellent. I did not get the chance to meet any of the current players, but I did get the chance to meet one or two old players.” Former Manchester United player Bryan Robson, who represented the club from 1981 to 1994, gave Benny some words of encouragement.

“He spoke to me about always believing in yourself, and if you believe in yourself no one can stop you from reaching your goal.” Benny said he adapted to the cold weather in England quickly.

“The first two days the weather was pretty cold, but then I started to cope with it after.” The diminutive player said he admires the professionalism in England leading up to a match. “Going to England I saw the professionalism.

Everything is prepared before games. For example, when I went to the dressing room the day before the game, the gears were already hanging up in their locker rooms.”

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2017, 01:31:35 AM »
Benny bets on senior selection by 2018.
By Gyasi Merrique (Guardian).

“When it came to the physical aspect of the game, I used to cap out. I didn’t like training. I was a fat boy.”

Che Benny is brutally honest with himself and that honesty is a major part of the reason he has been able to achieve all that he has as a 16-year-old footballer with a promising future, such as winning the FLOW Ultimate Football Experience recently which earned him and one other young footballer a trip to the famed Old Trafford Stadium in England, home of his favourite club team, Manchester United.

Standing at five feet and four inches and weighing in at 145 pounds, which is relatively small for his age, Benny’s diminutive stature is not the only reason he has already gained comparison to one of T&T’s all-time greats, “The Little Magician”, Russell Latapy. What Benny lacks in size, he makes up for in tenacity and self-belief. And if you have not ever had the chance to see him play, he more than makes up for his size in skill and ability as well.

“They say I still have growth in me but I want them to underestimate my size. I want to show them that you don’t have to be a big player to be a skillful and talented player. When I step on to the field they must fear me as a small player.”

Benny’s story both on and off the field is littered with similar anecdotes to his transfer from Tranquility Government School to St Anthony’s College in 2015 and of how he persevered to overcome some personal setbacks.

He told Guardian Media Sports, “One day we played against St Anthony’s and we gave them six. A lot of people were talking about me and Haile Beckles and we asked Mr (Nigel) Grosvenor to take us to St Anthony’s because since primary school I wanted to come St Anthony’s. Before I got in, a guy named Iggy brought me down to train and before the session started I put the ball down at half line, and hit one and it just skimmed off the crossbar. Mr Grosvenor asked me to do it again and I did it again and that was it.”

Even then however, it was not all smooth since the clinical left-footer was condemned to the Tigers’ bench for his first season in St Anthony’s colours because of his size. Benny made it his mission to prove his coaches and any other doubters wrong and by the time the 2016 season came around, his name was all on the lips of football fans due to his displays with the national Under-17 team during the Caribbean Football Union (CFU) preliminary tournament hosted in T&T. That newfound popularity was something which he had anticipated well beforehand.

He said, “There is a guy living in my area they call him ‘Millie Boy’ but his name is Jerome Joseph and he is an ex-national player. One day when I was playing in the road he spoke to me and he said ‘Che one day you are going to represent.’ I took that with me and I carried it. And when I made it to the national team, I didn’t play the first game but I said I would get my opportunity.

“The next game we were down 2-nil and Russell Latapy called on me and after that all I heard was ‘Che Benny is the next big thing in T&T’. And I’m able to live up to it.”

The resident of Belmont and former student of St Margaret’s Boys’ RC School, Benny showed promise as a two year old when his parents noticed his penchant for football. From those early days to now, he has always been hailed as a promising talent in his community which wants nothing more than to see him fulfill his potential. So much so that the small neighbourhood has even afford the eldest of five brothers, special privileges.

“When I can’t go down to the Queen’s Park Savannah to train on my own, I have these tall cones I use to block the street so that cars wouldn’t pass and I just train on my street. And they understand, they understand. They do a lot for me,” he said.

“My uncle, my mom, the whole community is just on my side because they know I have opportunities coming and I am very excited because I know that when I reach the international level, I will be able to help a lot of people around the community and my family also.”

Benny is just as bold and straightforward in his style of play as he is when it comes to his intentions to conquer the football world.

In fact, he stated without any doubt in his mind that the on-going Pro League season and the Secondary School’s Football season to come in September could be his last, as he hopes to propel himself into European football and into the senior national team by next year, stating boldly: “I have to keep going and I know I will keep getting stronger everyday and I know from next year I will be on the senior team.

Dennis Lawrence called me about two weeks ago and told me me just keep my eyes open and keep on training hard because he has a surprise coming.“It could be this year too.” he said.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Che Benny off to Sweden for AIK trial as Rangers cry foul
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2017, 07:00:06 PM »
Che Benny off to Sweden for AIK trial as Rangers cry foul
ttproleague.com

St. Ann’s Rangers midfield prodigy Che Benny has left for a 10-day trial at Sweden’s Allsvenskan (top division) club Allmänna Idrottsklubben, better known as AIK.

Benny, 16, left Trinidad on Monday—four days earlier than planned—and will join AIK, one of the powerhouses of Sweden football, on Saturday.

Meanwhile Benny’s current club, Rangers, who he joined seven years ago, are left with the bitter taste of “disrespect”.

“I am upset with the whole scenario,” said Rangers chairman Richard Fakoory. “The club (AIK) never wrote us. Our club had no input. This was done through his agent in Trinidad with no information really coming to us. This is a disrespect to the club.

“Benny told me on Saturday he was leaving for trial in Sweden. He is always in my office and we have a good relationship. But nothing was done properly through whoever is advising him. It’s just very shady.

“He travelled alone to Antigua, then to England and then maybe he'd take a train ride or whatever, I don’t know, to Sweden. Who cares about this 16-year-old? What if something goes wrong? Will they then contact us formally?”

Last May, Benny enjoyed a VIP tour of Manchester United and witnessed his idol, Spain’s Juan Mata in action for the England Premier League club, after topping the 2017 Flow Ultimate Football Experience challenge. But his visit at AIK will be Benny’s first try-out at a foreign club.

Fakoory also questioned the readiness of the Trinidad and Tobago Under-17 footballer, who, last February, became the youngest player (age 16) to score a top-flight double in the Pro League during a 3-3 draw with Club Sando.

“I think it’s too early,” added the Rangers boss. “(…) don’t get me wrong: I think he will be great player, but needs a bit more polishing with another year competitively in the Pro League (senior division).”

AIK, currently fifth on the Allsvenskan standings but tied on points with third and fourth Sirius and Osterund, are based at the largest football stadium in the Nordic countries, Friends Arena. They were league champions eleven times, winning their last in 2009, and holds the record for having played the most seasons in the Swedish top flight.

Benny’s mother, Creisha Lee-Look told ttproleague.com today that she understands Fakoory’s reason for being “upset”.

“Che is with Rangers since he was very small,” Lee-Look added. “…and I am sorry how things [unfolded]. But it wasn’t intentional. I tried contacting Mr. Fakoory [by phone and was unsuccessful]. But I did mention to (team administrator) Jason Spence and (Benny’s Under-17 coach Everett Williams) ‘Rocket’ that Benny would be going on trial in Sweden.”

Lee-Look said that arrangements were done through Benny’s agent Dane Mapp and a foreign contact who had seen video footage of the 16-year-old Rangers player. She said Benny’s uncle and advisor, Kevin Villafana, also endorsed that the teenager attempt a move to Europe.

Mapp confirmed that Benny’s trial will begin on Sunday.

Rangers meanwhile, must do without the talented midfielder for a second time in five days when they face North East Stars from 4pm at the Arima Velodrome on Saturday.

However action in the Pro League resumes on Friday with a double-header at the Ato Boldon Stadium with Club Sando against Police FC from 6pm, preceding a top-of-table clash between leaders San Juan Jabloteh and W Connection from 8pm.

The Ato Boldon Stadium will come alive again on Tuesday with Defence Force and Point Fortin Civic in battle from 6pm and Morvant Caledonia United taking on three-time league holders Central FC from 8pm.

Pro League 2017
Round One Match Day Five fixtures
(Friday 7 July 2017)
Ato Boldon Stadium

Club Sando vs Police FC—6pm
W Connection vs San Juan Jabloteh—8pm

(Saturday 8 July 2017)
Arima Velodrome

MIC-IT St. Ann’s Rangers vs North East Stars—4pm

(Tuesday 11 July 2017)
Ato Boldon Stadium

Defence Force vs Point Fortin Civic—6pm
Morvant Caledonia United vs Central FC—8pm.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 01:35:07 AM by Flex »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2017, 07:30:59 PM »
The writing was on the wall. Graffiti size.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2017, 07:59:40 PM »
The writing was on the wall. Graffiti size.
At 16 years old I'm sure he's not getting paid (correct me if I'm wrong) but shouldn't these club have players sign something stating that other clubs must come through them if they have any interest in a player? How do they do it on Europe and SA with young players such as Che?

Offline Dutty Love

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2017, 08:04:19 PM »
He can't move there until 18

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2017, 06:17:51 AM »
At 16 years clubs will look for specific raw attributes on a trial. Technique, speed and the level of spacial intelligence and tactical awareness, also the ability to take instructions.

They will assess all other aspects of his game like fitness and strength, but most clubs won't expect the finished product at 16 but will ensure they have enough to work with. Sweeden is no player's final destination so those clubs will look for the teenagers and develop them as a feeder club for bigger leagues in europe. If they are impressed with him and will wait till he turns 18 so he can sign a contract they will work with him for about 3 years with a view to sell when he is around 21.
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2017, 07:29:03 AM »
so these clubs and de league have no protocol for a situation like this?   

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2017, 08:37:38 AM »
so these clubs and de league have no protocol for a situation like this?

Protocol exists for multiple items in T&T football. However, our genius has in some situations allowed us to "agree to ignore" some standing conventions. Multiple examples abound.

In this situation, Rangers' interests remain largely preserved.

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2017, 04:04:40 PM »
Per FIFA transfers section, Article 19 you are correct, the only exception of the three allowed -- and the one that fits him -- is if his parents moved to Sweden for a job a non-football related field.

So I await future developments with this trial...unless it's a Levi Garcia AZ Alkmaar type thing he have going on?
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2017, 10:27:46 AM »
According to the express, che benny never arrived. His whereabouts are unknown and the club has never heard of him.

Did he travel alone?

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2017, 10:31:48 AM »
According to the express, che benny never arrived. His whereabouts are unknown and the club has never heard of him.

Did he travel alone?

VB

Whoa! This is serious.
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2017, 11:08:00 AM »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2017, 12:13:02 PM »
 ??? Really. But Che looking like he still playing u-14.

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2017, 07:09:51 PM »
 :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I don't know what to say nah! TnT too sweet yes!

So the Express made it seem as if this young man is not at the club, the club has never heard of him, and blah, blah, blah!

Then asylumseeker puts a pic of the youth in the club kit on here!!

My only question is, "who the hell the Express talk to?"
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2017, 07:43:34 PM »

So the Express made it seem as if this young man is not at the club, the club has never heard of him, and blah, blah, blah!

You'll notice the Express never quoted a source. SMH
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Why the jealousy over Benny’s Sweden trials?
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2017, 07:44:55 PM »
Why the jealousy over Benny’s Sweden trials?
T&T Newsday

THE EDITOR: Read my lips. We have talented individuals but TT does not have a team of 11 equally talented footballers.

Any angst about young Che Benny going to Sweden’s AIK for trials should be viewed in the context of an opportunity to move up to first class world football. Dwight Yorke did not become famous by choosing to remain in TT .

International football is a very lucrative business. In the First World, in any sport, the best teams with the best players are worth their weight in gold.

Ask FIFA about that.

In the First World children as young as eight years are being groomed for fame.

David Beckham and Wayne Rooney were picked in their teenage years. Benny is being offered the same opportunity so why the jealousy? What the Swedes can offer this gifted young man, TT cannot.

Consider the World Cup, if you will. The teams scour the world and collect talented players. Countries with large enough populations have the capacity to supply many talented players from which to choose. An African country could possibly win the World Cup because it has more than enough raw talent in the millions at its disposal.

TT is a small as a pin. Until we have 11 players experienced and competing with A teams on a regular basis, TT will never get within spitting range of winning a World Cup.

There was a silly remark made about Benny travelling alone.

Once you can speak and ask directions, travellers do not get lost. The “Big Brother” surveillance cameras are watching you at every point of entry.

At every airport, bus stop, coach and train station, they have you covered. It is always possible to discover where, when and how a traveller drops off the surveillance radar.

As we say here in TT , “De boy not going to get lorse.” If you want to make big money you have to be able to use public transport by yourself.

The team that nurtured him should not put him down as being ungrateful or deceitful. That is TT small-mindedness.

How many times does such rare footballing opportunity come knocking?

LYNETTE JOSEPH Diego Martin

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2017, 09:05:47 PM »

The Express may not have spoken to anyone, but may have source that info from this article.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2017, 09:07:05 PM »
Per FIFA transfers section, Article 19 you are correct, the only exception of the three allowed -- and the one that fits him -- is if his parents moved to Sweden for a job a non-football related field.

So I await future developments with this trial...unless it's a Levi Garcia AZ Alkmaar type thing he have going on?

According to this tweet by @lankexperience, he's on trial with the Youth Academy.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2017, 04:59:04 AM »
Which would make the most amount of sense

Sent from my SM-J105B using Tapatalk

I pity the fool....

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2017, 08:40:48 AM »

The Express may not have spoken to anyone, but may have source that info from this article.

Lamentable that a media pro and veteran with the experience of Ashford Jackman would make such an egregious error.

I obtained the photo from a local source. With due diligence, he could have done the same.

Offline Thomo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2017, 08:43:41 AM »
Not too sure if this move makes much sense nah. If they he impresses, how's he going to get a work visa even for the youth team as an apprentice. Work visas are given to 18 year old and he's 16 now. He'll have to wait for 2 years to get a crack at the senior team. I'm not too convinced at all!

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2017, 08:45:21 AM »
Not too sure if this move makes much sense nah. If they he impresses, how's he going to get a work visa even for the youth team as an apprentice. Work visas are given to 18 year old and he's 16 now. He'll have to wait for 2 years to get a crack at the senior team. I'm not too convinced at all!

Sounds like exactly what happened with L. Garcia.  Not impossible.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2017, 08:50:16 AM »

Actually, there's a way ...

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2017, 09:12:51 AM »
If is de academy, would he need a work visa? Wouldn't that be a student visa kinda situation?

Offline Thomo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2017, 01:27:17 PM »
If is de academy, would he need a work visa? Wouldn't that be a student visa kinda situation?
Definitely not a work visa. He's underage as per EU laws. With Levi it was a pre contract agreement until he turned 18 and Levi was 17+.This lad just turned 16 with no ties ie family heritage. But hey, I guess they probably trying to exploit a little known loophole.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2017, 03:18:22 PM »

Actually, there's a way ...

I hope he can join the youth academy, will be much more Benny-ficial in the long run.

1]; } ?>