March 29, 2024, 03:22:59 AM

Author Topic: Cricket West Indies Thread  (Read 6460 times)

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
Cricket West Indies Thread
« on: July 13, 2017, 02:36:42 PM »
http://www.espncricinfo.com/westindies/content/story/1110424.html

The biggest names in Caribbean cricket could be about to return to the West Indies team after significant progress was made in negotiations between players and the board.

Not only has a resolution been agreed to the Darren Bravo impasse, but the likes of Kieron Pollard, Sunil Narine, Dwayne Bravo and Chris Gayle are also available for selection for the ODI side after an amnesty was proposed by WIPA, the players' union.

Dave Cameron statement
"In early November 2016, I gave an interview to SportsMax TV during which I discussed player retainer contracts and the grades of contract that had been awarded to certain players. In the course of the interview I stated that Darren Bravo had previously been on an 'A' contract, which I have since been advised is not correct. I apologise for the misstatement, and wish to assure Mr. Bravo that there was no insult or offense intended towards him. Darren is a senior cricketer who has been a valuable part of the WINDIES set up for a long time, and I would hope to see his game continue to progress and mature, at both regional and international level."

That means they could be available for the limited-overs section of the tour to England that starts in a few weeks.

Gayle, who marked his international return after 15 months during the one-off Twenty20 International against India in Kingston last week, said during an event in Bengaluru on Thursday that "things have been steadily improving" and playing the 2019 World Cup, for which West Indies may have to qualify, is still a burning desire.

"The fans were happy to see me back on the field representing West Indies. Hopefully, things can get better. Hopefully I can play a few more games. I definitely want to play the 2019 World Cup," Gayle said. "Things are beginning to open up a little more now between players and the board. It's looking good, and we've to try and build from this to get the best players out on the field."

The key to the resolution has been Cricket West Indies abandoning its contentious policy regarding player availability for regional cricket. Whereas, in recent years, CWI policy dictated that players would only be eligible for West Indies selection if they had played in the corresponding format in regional cricket, the board is now in the process of softening that hardline stance.

It is anticipated it will be formally relaxed when the new round of central contracts are introduced in October, with a new range of white-ball contracts also adding to the players' security and flexibility.

Both Jimmy Adams, Director Of Cricket, and Johnny Grave, CWI CEO, have previously intimated their desire to change the policy, with Adams labelling it "unsustainable".

In the meantime, though, an amnesty has been proposed to those who have not been involved in regional cricket, giving them the chance to represent West Indies again. The likes of Marlon Samuels, Lendl Simmons, Darren Sammy and, once his WADA ban is served, Andre Russell could be other beneficiaries.

While the amnesty has yet to be ratified by the board of CWI, ESPNcricinfo understands a conference call will take place before the end of the week where it is hoped the proposal will be accepted.

Darren Bravo statement
"On 11 November 2016, after viewing statements made about me by Mr. Dave Cameron, president of Cricket West Indies, on a television sports programme, I tweeted a response which referred to the president which was, in retrospect, inappropriate. As I have always tried to uphold the best traditions of West Indies cricket and its players, I now therefore wish to withdraw the comment made on my Twitter account and apologise to the president of CWI and to all WINDIES fans.
"

Darren Bravo, who has been suspended since November 2016 when he was sent home from the tour of Zimbabwe following his Twitter condemnation of board president, Dave Cameron, is also set to return.

Both parties have released statements of apology* and Bravo's tweet will be deleted with no admission of liability and without prejudice to the pursuit of any claim for damages. That will not only allow Bravo to take a full part in the forthcoming CPL season but render him eligible for West Indies selection once more. Having not played much red ball cricket of late, he is not thought to be a realistic candidate for the Test tour of England. He could well feature in the ODI team, though.

That method of solution had been suggested as far back as February. But Bravo instead pursued legal action against the board, claiming lost earnings. It seems that action is on-going despite the apparent thawing in relations, though it is understood no damages have been paid to date.

A similar resolution is expected imminently in the case of Nicholas Pooran.

It all amounts to encouraging news for long-suffering West Indies supporters. With the side having slipped to 9th in the ODI rankings (they are 8th in the Test rankings and 5th in T20), it is almost impossible for them to qualify automatically for the 2019 World Cup ahead of the ODI rankings qualification cut-off date in September.

The availability of some familiar faces is a significant step in the right direction.

*1700 GMT - This story was updated with statements from Darren Bravo and Dave Cameron

George Dobell is a senior correspondent at ESPNcricinfo

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Cricket West Indies Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2020, 05:24:46 AM »
Nanthan: No underhand activity in CWI $$ transfer
T&T Guardian Reports.

ROSEAU, Dominica – Former Cricket West Indies vice-president, Emmanuel Nanthan, has said there was no financial impropriety regarding a US$134, 200 transfer to Cricket West Indies from a sponsor two years ago, which had been targeted for cricket development.

Nanthan, who was voted out of office last year, said the monies had been meant for the Dominica Cricket Association to fund its cricket academy but were instead sent to CWI to help the cash-strapped regional governing body stage the Regional Super50 Cup.

“At a meeting held in September 2018 … the board of Cricket West Indies decided that if they could not get the funds within a week for the regional one-day tournament they were going to call off the tournament,” the Dominican said.

“The board asked Barbados to see what they could to assist in meeting some of the costs and asked Trinidad and Tobago to see what they could do to assist to meet some of the costs.

“It was as a result of that, that during the week coming on I spoke with the management of Cricket West Indies and allowed the sponsorship funds for the Dominica Cricket Academy to go through Cricket West Indies so Cricket West Indies used the funds to help them host the tournament.”

Questions over the source and use of the monies were allegedly raised in an audit commissioned by CWI, a copy of which was obtained by international cricket television broadcaster Michael Holding.

The legendary former West Indies fast bowler read sections of the audit on the Youtube cricket show called “Mikey – Holding Nothing Back” hosted by Asif Khan.

“What due diligence was performed to ensure that the source of the funds was legitimate and that the funds were clean from an anti-money laundering compliance perspective,” said Holding, quoting from the audit.

The report said auditors were unable to find “an executed agreement” for the transaction and added while the funds had been earmarked for cricket development in Dominica, “there was no evidence” that CWI had verified with the Dominica Cricket Association that the monies “were used as directed”.

Nanthan, who served as CWI vice-president for three terms until last year March, stressed there had been no “underhand” activity regarding the transaction and said there had been documentation at every stage to guide the process.

He said CWI had subsequently returned the money to the DCA which had, in turn, used it for development purposes.

“They (CWI) then sent … a minimal amount to the Dominica Cricket Association within a few weeks if not a month and in the ensuing two quarters afterwards sent the rest of the money to the Dominica Cricket Association to be used and utilised by the Dominica Cricket Association for their cricketing activities,” explained Nanthan.

“The Cricket Association sent in a report about the funds that were received and how they were spent. All those were given to Cricket West Indies.

“Things were done correctly. There was even a contract signed between the sponsor and Cricket West Indies for receiving those same funds and disbursing them onto the DCA, and the DCA responded to Cricket West Indies and sent them a note on how the funds were spent.”

He added: “I wasn’t a member of the DCA then but I was the one who negotiated the funds for the DCA and I allowed the funds to go to Cricket West Indies to allow them to host the regional one-day competition.

“As an administrator of cricket, I did what was necessary to get cricket going without any underhand thing … it was always in the best interests of cricket.”

Nathan’s assertions were supported by DCA president, Glen Joseph, who contended that his board was “very transparent in what we do”.

“All money that was sent was received and it was solely used for cricket development purposes,” he said.

“There are documents to prove that these funds were used for cricket development purposes. That I can confirm for anybody.”

(CMC)

Emmanuel Nanthan - former Cricket West Indies vice president

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Re: Cricket West Indies Thread
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2020, 05:28:02 AM »
CWI to contemplate releasing PKF report
JOEL BAILEY (NEWSDAY)

CRICKET WEST Indies (CWI) will be contemplating releasing the Parnell Kerr Foster (PKF) report to the public, “in light of an apparent recent access to some of its contents by the media”, according to CWI president Ricky Skerritt.

The CWI boss issued a media release on Sunday evening, a day after WI great and noted cricket commentator Michael Holding expressed concern over the use of funds referred to in a reported CWI audit, asking whether ex-WI players received US$500,000 from the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI), which presented the gift to CWI.

Skerritt, in the release, said PKF, the accounting and management consulting firm, “was engaged for a six-month period to conduct a business situation assessment and review of (CWI’s) financial management systems, and to provide recommendations for addressing any shortcomings.”

The release noted, “In carrying out its assessments, PKF uncovered some illustrations of questionable executive standards and practices. It verified and emphasised the need for drastic operational reorganisation and realignment, with an urgent need for improved risk assessment and cash flow management.”

The report was presented to the CWI board of directors in December (2019), and their 28 recommendations were unanimously adopted.

According to Skerritt, “CWI will not be distracted from correcting and learning from, any identifiable missteps or shortcomings of the past. I am determined as president, to ensure that CWI conducts its business with integrity, accountability and transparency and without fear or favour, affection or ill-will.”

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2020, 05:29:12 AM »
Holding: Where's US$.5m gift to CWI?
JELANI BECKLES (NEWSDAY)

LEGENDARY West Indies fast bowler Michael Holding has expressed concern over the use of funds referred to in a reported Cricket West Indies (CWI) audit, asking whether past players received US$500,000 from the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI), which presented that gift to CWI.

Holding, in a Youtube interview on his regular programme Mikey – Holding Nothing Back, with interviewer Asif Khan, spoke about the CWI audit, said to have been completed earlier this year.

Holding said people in the Caribbean have been asking for a forensic audit and a governance report to change the governance of cricket in the West Indies because they are not satisfied with the running of cricket in the region.

Holding wondered why CWI did not make public an audit which was completed in January.

“The top position changed recently and the new administration came into play and decided that they wanted to do an audit. They did not do a forensic audit, but they did an audit of what was happening, and something to point them in the direction of going forward.

“They got the results of that since January, I understand. When I was in South Africa I heard that they had gotten the results and yet they have never released it, for what reason I don’t know.”

CWI CEO Johnny Grave, responding to the question of whether an audit was done in January, said on Whatsapp, “I can confirm that a financial review was commissioned by the new president and vice-president following their election in March 2019. The report was presented to the board of directors in December 2019 and the recommendations were unanimously approved.

“Management has already implemented a number of them and the process of implementing all the others is well underway.”

Holding said he received a copy of the 60-page audit by e-mail. The former fast bowler said journalists and cricket officials send him documents regularly.

During a past CWI administration, Holding said, the BCCI gave a monetary gift intended for past West Indies players, but they never received it.

Holding said, “Each page I turn (in the audit) I get more angry to see how (the then) West Indies Cricket Board has been operating and what has been happening undercover, as they say, with the West Indies Cricket Board.

“There is one other item that I am going to touch on in our next show, along with other things of course, but one other item that I know former cricketers would be very interested in.

“Way back in about (named year) or (named year) the BCCI donated US$500,000 to the West Indies Cricket Board, specifically to go to past players.”

Grave did not answer a question posed to him about the US$500,000 donated by BCCI to past West Indies players.

But the former fast bowler said to his knowledge, past players did not benefit.

“I am a past player. I am not saying I want any of it, but I know a lot of past players. I’ve never heard of one cent out of that half a million US dollars going to any past player and I am absolutely sure if they had done that, they would have made a hullabaloo about it, a big press conference (to say), ‘Look what we are doing for the former players.’

“Half a million dollars – where is that half a million dollars? I will tell the viewers on your next show.”

Earlier in the interview, Holding highlighted what he said were other issues in the audit concerning the management of funds.

Reading from what he said was the audit, Holding said, “Cricket West Indies received funds of $134,200 from a sponsor...on behalf of (named territorial body) from a third party which appears to be an offshore corporation. It is unclear why the funds did not go directly to (the territorial body). This money was paid over to (the body) in three tranches – $104,100...$15,700...and $14,400...In this particular situation, Cricket West Indies was the financial conduit.”

Holding, continuing to read from the document, said the concerns were what due diligence was done to ensure that the source of these funds was legitimate and the funds “clean” from the perspective of anti-money-laundering compliance. The document asked what measures were taken to minimise the risk that Cricket West Indies might be involved in money laundering, and the auditors were unable to find an executed agreement/bona fide (agreement) for this transaction and that the funds were to be specifically marked for cricket development. There is no evidence that Cricket West Indies obtained confirmation that the funds were used as directed, the audit continued.

Michael Holding -

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2020, 07:13:13 AM »
Phillip, Da Silva grateful for reserve call-up
JELANI BECKLES (NEWSDAY).

UNCAPPED West Indies players Anderson Phillip and Joshua Da Silva are glad to be on the radar of the Cricket West Indies (CWI) selectors after being selected as reserves for the regional team’s Test series against England.

On Wednesday, CWI announced a 14-man squad for the three-match series, which will start on July 8. Eleven reserves, including Phillip and Da Silva, will travel to England with the team to help with preparations. The West Indies players are expected to play matches among themselves leading up to the series.

On being selected for the tour, fast bowler Phillip told Newsday, “I would have liked to be on the 14 that were selected, but nevertheless still thankful, still glad seeing that they have their eyes on me. Still happy and excited to be a part (of the tour).”

Wicket-keeper batsman Da Silva is also excited about the trip. “I am extremely honoured to be considered to go on the tour. I had a pretty good first-class season, and 50 overs, so it is just good to know that hard work was being noticed and I am just grateful for the opportunity to go and gain that experience. “It is just (great) to be noticed by the selectors and be chosen to go on the squad is a very big accomplishment.” Da Silva, 21, was the fifth highest run scorer in the 2020 West Indies Four-Day Championship with 507 runs in eight matches at an average of 50.70. Phillip, 23, played only three matches because of injury. The pacer was 11th among bowlers with 21 wickets with top figures of 6/19.

Phillip and Da Silva know the reserves have a key role on the tour.

“We all play a very crucial role in the team’s build up and in the training...whatever I could do to help the team is what I am going to do,” Da Silva said.

Phillip said some of the reserves may get an opportunity to play. “You could never take it for granted. Carrying a squad of 25 you never know what could take place...it is always good to keep training hard and putting in the work.”

Several safety measures have been put in place owing to covid19 and the TT players are not worried.

Phillip said he is “comfortable” as when West Indies arrive in England they will be in their “own circle” and Da Silva said he is “extremely confident in what they (CWI) have told us.”

Darren Bravo, Shimron Hetmyer and Keemo Paul have chosen not to tour England. CWI said it will not hold that against the trio.

Phillip, who is anticipating the trip after playing there almost ten years ago on a 2011 TT Secondary Schools Under-14 tour, said it is a “big loss” playing without the trio, but there are reliable options to fill the void.

Da Silva is not concerned by the absence of Bravo, Hetmyer and Paul.

“We have a lot of talented players all around the region. There are multiple players who probably have not made the squad that could come in and make a big impact...I am pretty sure we could put up a very good fight and even keep the (Wisden) trophy from England.”

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2020, 05:59:21 AM »
NEW KITS FOR WEST INDIES

Pacer Alzarri Joseph prepares to bowl during yesterday’s net session as the West Indies team sport their new eye-catching training and playing kits during the Sandals Tour of England 2020 as part of a new three-year partnership with Castore, the official team kit and merchandise partner of Cricket West Indies (CWI). The new Test “whites” will be revealed ahead of the upcoming three-Test series against England when the West Indies will be defending the Wisden Trophy at the Ageas Bowl in Southampton (July 8-12) and then at Emirates Old Trafford in Manchester (July 16-20) and July 24-28). The new training outfits were unveiled during the West Indies training camp at Emirates Old Trafford. The training kits feature lightweight, performance enhancing fabrics and an ultra-modern maroon, dark blue and pink design that the players love and that fans around world will be excited to wear.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2020, 05:09:11 PM »
Mohammed to captain West Indies on Bangladesh tour
JONATHAN RAMNANANSINGH (T&T NEWSDAY).

T&T’s Jason Mohammed has been appointed skipper of the West Indies (WI) One-Day International (ODI) team, while Bajan Kraigg Brathwaite will lead the Test squad for the upcoming tour of Bangladesh.

Sunil Ambris and Jermaine Blackwood were also appointed vice-captains of the 50-over and Test teams, respectively.

The series will be held from January 10 until February 15.

T&T's Akeal Hosein and Kjorn Ottley also earned their first call-ups for the ODI squad.

Kieron Pollard and Jason Holder, who both served as captains of the WI ODI and Test teams at the recently concluded tour of New Zealand, are among eight other top regional players who declined to tour owing to covid19-related concerns or personal fears.

Also opting out of the 2021 tour were Darren Bravo, Shamarh Brooks, Roston Chase, Sheldon Cottrell, Evin Lewis, Shai Hope, Shimron Hetmyer and Nicholas Pooran. Fabian Allen and Shane Dowrich are unavailable because of personal reasons.

For the upcoming tour, the men in maroon are scheduled to play three ODIs and two Tests.

The two Test matches will form part of the International Cricket Council’s (ICC) World Test Championship, and the three ODIs are the first matches in West Indies ICC World Cup Super League campaign with the opportunity to qualify for the ICC World Cup 2023.

CWI’s chief selector, Roger Harper, welcomed the new additions to both teams.

“Kavem Hodge will be on his first tour with the team. He has been around for a few years and has made a case for himself and he now gets his chance. The fact that he also bowls left-arm spin has certainly helped his cause.

“We also have Kyle Mayers and Shayne Moseley, who have both toured with the team to England and New Zealand as reserves, being selected in the Test squad for the first time. Moseley coming off successful ‘A Team’ games in New Zealand and Mayers who has performed well in each of the CWI regional tournaments and also the CPL, over the last year.”

Harper added, “The absence of several more experienced players has certainly provided an opportunity for the left-handed Kjorn Ottley who has had a good Super50 tournament last year. He will be very keen to make his mark.

“Tours of Bangladesh are never easy as they always play well in their own conditions. Although a number of the senior players are missing in both formats, I expect our teams to be very competitive. I expect our players to play with purpose, with passion and with the desire to prove that they belong at this level.”

West Indies touring squads:

Tests: Kraigg Brathwaite (captain), Jermaine Blackwood (vice-captain), Nkrumah Bonner, John Campbell, Rahkeem Cornwall, Joshua Da Silva, Shannon Gabriel, Kavem Hodge, Alzarri Joseph, Kyle Mayers, Shayne Moseley, Veerasammy Permaul, Kemar Roach, Raymon Reifer, Jomel Warrican.

ODIs: Jason Mohammed (captain), Sunil Ambris (vice-captain), Nkrumah Bonner, Joshua Da Silva, Jahmar Hamilton, Chemar Holder, Akeal Hosein, Alzarri Joseph, Kyle Mayers, Andre McCarthy, Kjorn Ottley, Rovman Powell, Raymon Reifer, Romario Shepherd, Hayden Walsh jr.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2021, 04:07:36 PM »
CWI eyeing brighter 2021 with packed home schedule
T&T Guardian Reports.

KINGSTON, Jamaica – Cricket West Indies is anticipating a financial windfall this year, with four major home tours expected to provide a much needed injection of money for the cash-strapped Antigua-based body.

Sri Lanka, South Africa, Australia and Pakistan are all expected in the Caribbean later in the year, marking the first home series since Ireland toured for a mixture of One-Day Internationals and Twenty20 Internationals last January.

The region had been scheduled to host several home tours in 2020 but the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic forced the entire itinerary to be scrapped.

CWI chief executive Johnny Grave said in the wake of the disappointments last year, 2021 would see an “unprecedented” year where West Indies played nearly all of their cricket at home.

“The big thing that I’m looking forward to financially is the fact this [upcoming Bangladesh tour] is our last away obligation for 11 months,” Grave said in a television interview here.

“We will after this tour host – after our Super50 Cup – a tour by Sri Lanka, followed by South Africa, Australia and Pakistan before the Caribbean Premier League next year.

“So this is our last away tour obligation [in Bangladesh], and to have four home tours in a year is unprecedented and that will have positive financial implications and impact on Cricket West Indies which is well needed.”

The arrival of COVID-19 in the Caribbean first disrupted the first class championship in March, leaving CWI with little choice but to abort the final two rounds of the competition.

And with the region going into lockdown in the following months, tours by New Zealand in July and South Africa in July and August, had to be postponed.

Under the current International Cricket Council arrangement, only host boards benefit financially from bilateral series and the postponements caused a worsening of the CWI financial position, forcing the institution into salary cuts for players and staff.

Both West Indies men and women undertook international tours, however, with the Test side making history when they faced England in a three-match series to mark the resumption of international cricket following a global lockdown.

The women also toured England for five T20 Internationals while the men again saw action in New Zealand for three T20 Internationals and a two-Test tour in November and December.

And with the men’s side poised for their third tour amid the ongoing pandemic, Grave said it had been critical CWI honoured all its international obligations, pertaining to the ICC Test and one-day championships.

“The One-Day Internationals are part of the ICC Super League, which is the qualification process for the next 50-over World Cup which takes place in 2023, and the Test matches are part of the World Test Championship,” Grave pointed out.

“So we had a contractual obligation to fulfill the tours under that programme and clearly once we’ve gone through that robust process to ensure that the players are safe [on overseas tours], we’re duty bound and contracted to tour.

“At the moment, there are no direct financial gain for West Indies to tour Bangladesh or go on any away tour because of the way international cricket is structured.

“So This [Bangladesh tour] is our last away tour obligation – we would’ve met all of our away tour obligations under that contract that would have been signed along with other Full Members of the ICC.”

West Indies leave the region next week for three ODIs and two Tests against Bangladesh, in a tour that runs from January 20 to February 15.

(CMC)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2021, 05:08:26 PM »
CWI announces five year ESPN+ deal, as West Indies games head to US viewers
Wired868.com.

Cricket West Indies (CWI) president Ricky Skerritt announced a five year deal today with ESPN+ that will take West Indies cricket to ‘millions of households and viewers across the United States’ through the sports network’s streaming service.

The ESPN+ partnership, which starts with the all-format Sri Lanka cricket tour of the Caribbean in March, will feature live broadcast of every international West Indies home series covering all T20 Internationals, One-Day Internationals and Test matches within the International Cricket Council’s (ICC) Future Tours Programme (FTP).

“This is CWI’s largest ever media rights agreement in the USA and is the first of several new multi-year agreements which we will confirm in the coming weeks,” Skerritt told the CWI media office. “Broadcast media rights income is crucial to the future financial sustainability of CWI, and this five-year rights agreement is just the start of good things to come.”

ESPN Digital Media Programming vice-president John Lasker said the addition of the West Indies events to its scheduling is a signal of its growing interest in the sport.

“Cricket West Indies is among the best in the world and their ICC schedule over the next few years is second to none,” said Lasker. “Cricket has always been a priority for us with ESPNcrincinfo leading the way as the premier destination for cricket coverage and news.

“Adding a strong slate of CWI events to ESPN+ is just the latest example of our commitment to cricket and serving fans with the best, most comprehensive cricket content in the US.”

The new ESPN+ agreement also includes CWI’s regional 50-over tournament, the CG Insurance Super50 Cup, which will be the first live cricket event from the West Indies in the partnership.

The Super50 Cup runs from 7 to 27 February at the Coolidge Cricket Ground and the Sir Vivian Richards Stadium in Antigua.

“ESPN is the sports channel for American households and sports fans and we’re delighted that West Indies cricket will now be enjoyed in the homes and on the devices of millions of Americans,” said CWI CEO Johnny Grave. “We have an ambitious strategic plan to grow our brand and content in North America, and ESPN is the perfect partner to help us achieve our goals.”

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2021, 06:01:25 PM »
Bangladesh hold advantage over WI in first Test
JELANI BECKLES (T&T NEWSDAY).

A FIGHTBACK in the second half of the day by Bangladesh gave the home team the edge against West Indies at the close on day one of the first Test match in Chattogram, on Wednesday.

Left-arm spinner Jomel Warrican put West Indies in a strong position grabbing two of the first four wickets to leave Bangladesh on 134/4. However, two partnerships placed Bangladesh in front at stumps.

Mushfiqur Rahim and Shakib Al Hasan put on 59 runs for the fifth-wicket, before Warrican snatched his third-wicket of the day when Rahim was dismissed for 38 off 69 deliveries. Al Hasan was joined by Liton Das and the pair avoided any further loss as Bangladesh closed on 242/5. Al Hasan ended on 39 not out off 92 balls and Das was unbeaten on 34. Earlier, opener Shadman Islam cracked 59 off 154 deliveries which included six fours.

Warrican was the chief destroyer with 3/58 in 24 overs and fast bowler Kemar Roach ended with 1/44 in 16 overs. The other wicket West Indies achieved was via the run out route.

The second day's play bowls off on Wednesday from 11.30 pm, TT time.

SUMMARISED SCORES

Bangladesh 242/5 (Shadman Islam 59, Mushfiqur Rahim 38, Shakib Al Hasan 39 not out, Liton Das 34 not out; Jomel Warrican 3/58, Kemar Roach 1/44) vs West Indies

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2021, 04:23:11 PM »
CWI signs UK broadcast agreement with BT Sport for all West Indies matches in the Caribbean
Wired868.com.

Cricket West Indies (CWI) announced a five-year deal with BT Sport for the exclusive live coverage in the UK of all West Indies international home matches played in the Caribbean. The agreement includes all West Indies Men’s and Women’s home internationals.

CWI president Ricky Skerritt said: “Our tour to England last year helped to remind us how strong the West Indies brand continues to be in the UK, and we thank BT Sport for so highly valuing West Indies cricket by committing their broadcast support over the next five years. I am especially pleased that, in partnership with ESPN, BT Sport will also show much of the upcoming CG Insurance Super50 Cup, which starts next Sunday, 7th February.”

With a large fan base with West Indian heritage, the UK is the West Indies’ second-largest commercial market.

As part of the agreement, BT Sport will have rights to West Indies next international home series against England, scheduled for early 2022. This upcoming series will be the first time that the two teams play the Richards-Botham Trophy Test Series—named in honour of Sir Vivian Richards and Sir Ian Botham.

CWI CEO Johnny Grave said: “The first-ever Richards-Botham Trophy in March 2022 will be an eagerly anticipated Test Series, not just for our fans in the UK hailing from the Caribbean, but also to the many UK sports and cricket fans who will be able to watch live on their TV or mobile devices after school or work.

“West Indies home series are the second most-watched cricket in the UK after England’s home matches, and this agreement ensures that the best action from the Caribbean will be broadcast in an extremely important sports and tourism market for the region.”

BT Sport will carry international cricket from the West Indies in 2021 on its sports channels and across its digital platforms, starting with Sri Lanka, who they face across all formats in March. Next will be the tours to the Caribbean by South Africa, Australia and Pakistan over the course of June, July and August.

Rachel Knight, the rights director at BT Sport said: “We want to provide customers with the best sport from across the globe, so we are delighted to add the England men’s and women’s cricket teams to our line-up. In addition to some hugely important and enticing Test and T20 International matches over the next 18 months, the new rights in New Zealand and West Indies will see the world’s top cricketers regularly on BT Sport.”

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2021, 02:16:10 AM »
RUTHLESS ‘FORCE’
By Garth Wattley (T&T Express).

The sleeping giant that has been Sunil Narine woke up yesterday.

Wicket-less in the first three matches of the Super50 Cup, the Trinidad and Tobago Red Force “mystery spinner” was something like his bamboozling best in taking three wickets as the Red Force outclassed the Leeward Islands Hurricanes by nine wickets for their fourth win in a row.

The Cup favourites made light work of chasing 130 for victory, reaching their target in the 26th over. Veteran seamer Ravi Rampaul copped the Man-of-the-Match award for his miserly three for 17. But the accolade could easily have gone to Narine.

He has been patiently working with the latest version of his remodelled bowling action without the satisfaction of taking a wicket. But on perhaps the driest surface of the tournament thus far, he was bowled straight through by skipper Kieron Pollard for figures of 10-3-36-3 as the Hurricanes’ plan to bat first backfired at the Coolidge Cricket Ground.

Devon Thomas’ side succumbed for 129, unable to cope with Narine’s variations after Rampaul (7-1-17-3) removed opener Ross Powell and Keacy Carty inside the first eight overs.

Kieran Powell (29) lbw to a ball that went straight on as he played for turn, Terrance Warde (one) bowled by a tantalising off-break as he attempted to drive and Thomas (14) trapped on his crease, allowed Narine to break his wicket drought in his 100th One-Day match.

“The wickets are batting-friendly and I’ve been going at a small economy rate...batsmen are not attacking too much,” Narine noted at the innings break. But he added, “I still at the end of the day would love to take wickets...Today was my day and I’m enjoying it at the moment.”

The first wicket of Powell drew a sigh of relief and glance into the sky from Narine. But there was no respite for the Hurricanes batsmen who could not find a way to force the Red Force slow bowlers out of rhythm. Teenage pacer Jayden Seales (6-2-17-0), given his One-Day debut yesterday, was under little pressure as his seniors turned the screws.

By the half-way stage, the Hurricanes were 80 for five, Nitish Kumar (24) having also perished, edging left-arm spinner Khary Pierre (10-1-22-1) into wicketkeeper Denesh Ramdin’s gloves. Pierre came in for his first match in place of Akeal Hosein. The second half of the innings was no better for the Hurricanes as the last five fell for 49, Imran Khan (7-2-167-1) replacing the impressive Seales for the 47th over and straightaway having Sheeno Brerridge taken by Nicholas Pooran at slip.

Jason Mohammed also played his part in an efficient bowling display with the wicket of Ashmead Nedd. And when he got to play his specialist trade with the bat, Mohammed was even more efficient.

After Evin Lewis (28, two balls) got a leading edge and fell to a Carty catch off Quinton Boatswain halfway through the eighth over (37 for one), Mohammed carried on from his match-winning century effort against the Barbados Pride. In partnership with the sedate Kjorn Ottley (47 not out, 68 balls) he finished off the job, Mohammed ending unbeaten on 40 (55 balls), the pair posting 93 for the second wicket.

A pull backward of square by Ottley completed an early night for the Red Force.

And already into the semi-finals, Kieron Pollard’s men will now prepare for the top-of-the-table clash with the Guyana Jaguars on Saturday knowing they are approaching full force.

Summarised scores:

Hurricanes 129 all out, 46.1 overs (Kieran Powell 29 Ravi Rampaul 3/17, Sunil Narine 3/36, Imran Khan 2/16) vs Red Force 130-1 (Kjorn Ottley 47 n.o, Jason Mohammed 40 n.o.)

—Red Force won by nine wickets.

Man-of-Match: Ravi Rampaul

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2021, 01:33:07 AM »
WI cricket as a World Class product
By Keith Clement (T&T Guardian).

What a run chase by our boys in the recently completed first Test in Bangladesh! My phone was being lit up for days following their spectacular performance as my colleagues on WhatsApp group chats went berserk. It served as a reminder that the passion for West Indies (WI) cricket around the world was still alive; we may have only lost the appetite for indifferent results.

There was now a newfound interest in WI cricket as a result of (Kyle) Mayers and Co and, with all teams seemingly at full strength with most of the WI regulars who opted out of touring Bangladesh making themselves available, it seemed then that the stage was set, in the best possible way, for the start of the CG Insurance Regional Super50 Cup. To add to the glamour, CWI (Cricket West Indies) had just announced a major broadcast deal and the tournament was to be live-streamed around the world.

The excitement was understandable as I tuned in on match day one to the live telecast. By the end of what was a fairly exciting game, between the Leewards and the Windwards, my phone was lit up again as my chat colleagues went to work; this time though they were not being as complimentary in sharing their views on what they had just witnessed.

Cricket boards and broadcasters today have gone the route of employing former, and current, international players to deliver commentary to their audiences. In an effort to be inclusive, and feminist, female players are also now a regular on panels, and rightly so. West Indies cricket, be it board and/or broadcasters, have also now adopted these initiatives. On the face of it these appear to be fair; after all, it stands to reason that past players should be more knowledgeable on the game than the average layman, right?

Spare a thought though for the regional and international audience and their take on the delivery of the final product.

I grew up playing cricket from about as soon as I could walk. For many years the dream was making it to the international stage and playing in front of a full house, in the maroon cap. There was just one small problem; I was never a good enough cricketer! It did not matter that I played the sport for years; I was never going to be good enough.

Unfortunately, the above holds true for every aspect of life. While practice and repetition can bring improvement, they do not guarantee becoming international standard.

The common ongoing theme from my group chat colleagues, and others around the globe apparently, is that the quality of delivery of the Super50 as an international class product is being compromised by the lack of an international-standard panel of commentators. Something must be amiss when the audience decides to comment on the presenters instead of the event!

Some years back the late great Martin Crowe was given responsibility for Sky’s New Zealand cricket’s TV production. One of the first things he insisted on then was a panel of presenters that were not only capable but who would also endear themselves to a worldwide audience.

Let’s be fair; it’s no fault of our past players that some are not of the requisite standard as commentators.

While the world trend is towards international past players as cricket presenters, we must not lose sight of the fact the main duty of a commentator is commentary; the international playing experience, it is hoped, should help from a different perspective. It begs one question though; is international experience a necessary prerequisite?

Consider these: Harsha Bhogle in India, Mark Howard in Australia, Mark Nicholas in England and Mike Haysman in South Africa, to name a few. These are household names that are much sought after worldwide in the biggest leagues and tournaments as cricket commentators. Between them, they have played a grand total of ZERO internationals.

During the recent India versus Australia series Down Under, Mr Bhogle did not travel to Australia for the series, as he would normally have done, because of the (COVID-19) pandemic. That did not stop FOX from having him on their panel though; he joined in from India virtually.

FOX simply ensured they did not have to do without the services of one of the best. In the 2019 World Cup in England, the BBC, an international standard broadcaster, saw it fit to have West Indian representation on their panel for all West Indies games. Who did they go for? The best available, and of international standard, naturally; Fazeer Mohammed, he of ZERO international games as a player as well.

The point is that not all international cricketers are necessarily international quality commentators. If one has played at the international level and is capable of doing the job, then fine. However, even if one has played a hundred Tests, and is highly proficient academically, there is still no guarantee that one will make a good commentator.

Specific skillsets are required to make a good presenter. Being a good communicator is a must; having a good command of the English language, in our case, is absolutely necessary. How we say it is as important as what we say. In 2011, a homeless Ted Williams, ‘the man with the golden voice’, was taken off the streets of Columbus, Ohio and given a radio deal. He was considered as having a voice that would be receptive to consumers, a requirement in the industry.

CWI and its stakeholders, including broadcast partners, need to accept that all facets of our sport must be of international standard. Live streaming is an essential, and possibly the most lucrative, component and therefore needs to be given the attention it deserves so that it may compare and compete, favourably with standards set by our global counterparts. A huge part of that is having presenters that are attractive to audiences based on their ability as presenters. The question for the region’s decision-makers is, do we continue to insist on quantity over quality or do we strive to be world class?

The CWI president, Ricky Skerritt, is credited with saying recently “With our new TV production presentation, CWI is delivering a modern, vibrant and diverse mix of experienced and insightful presenters and analysts to deliver a more appealing and engaging viewing experience.”

Great news indeed! The only problem is, it appears, based on universal feedback, that either the audience is tuning in to the wrong TV presentation or the president is not tuning in to the presentation himself.

This is not an attempt to smear our great West Indians who now find themselves in the ‘com-box’; frankly, it’s quite the opposite. When our greats, who represented us with such distinction on the field, are being frowned upon around the world because they are not seen as being good enough presenters of the game then their respective legacies are at risk. This latest role is what they will be judged on now.

As a born and bred West Indian, and an avid student of the game, I continually look forward to supporting our cricket and following our teams! Like all WI fans, I want the best for our cricket and our cricketers alike. The region has been blessed to have produced iconic presenters such as Tony Cozier and Reds Perreira who graced world audiences with their eloquence and knowledge in equal measure.

In more recent times we’ve been privileged to have the likes of Andrew Mason, Donna Symmonds - a trendsetter for women’s commentators around the world - and Fazeer Mohammed, to name a few. It’s difficult to understand why professionals of this ilk are not being considered as good enough, simply because they did not play the sport at the highest level, while we continue to deliver a sub-standard product, with those that did at the forefront, to the world stage.

There’s much about West Indies’ cricket that’s currently ailing; none is as easy to remedy! We can do a lot worse than simply getting the best-equipped commentators for the job, be they international players or not. Come on West Indies, we are better than that….and we have what it takes; our new-look team, containing several members with no prior international experience, just showed us the way in Bangladesh!

Carlos Ragoonath, an avid West Indian cricket fan who lives in Toronto, Canada.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2021, 01:42:41 AM »
CWI lands 3rd broadcast deal
T&T Express Reports.

Cricket West Indies (CWI) yesterday confirmed its third new multi-year broadcast rights agreement, this time with SuperSport securing the rights to West Indies cricket until the end of 2024 in sub-Saharan Africa. And CEO Johnny Grave claims the cash-strapped regional body has done some good business.

While not revealing financial details of the agreement with SuperSport because of confidentiality rules, Grave told the Express yesterday:”We can say that all the deals we have announced so far have either met or exceeded the independent valuation that our consultants Pitch International did in June 2019. To achieve these valuations in the midst of the global pandemic is a fantastic result and testament to the value of the West Indies Cricket brand and our media rights sales strategy.”

The four-year agreement will see SuperSport feature exclusive live coverage of all West Indies international home matches and regional tournaments played in the Caribbean on its television and digital platforms.

As part of the agreement, West Indies cricket will now be seen in over 54 African countries and islands, including South Africa, Zimbabwe, Nigeria and Kenya. SuperSport’s coverage starts with the recently confirmed West Indies vs Sri Lanka series which commences on Wednesday, March 3 with three CG Insurance T20 International matches. The agreement also includes the rescheduled visit by South Africa to the Caribbean in June 2021, a tour that had to be rescheduled from July, 2020 due to Covid-19.

CWI president Ricky Skerritt said: “This new long-term SuperSport agreement ensures that the much-loved West Indies teams will be accessible to an expanded number of African consumer markets with sub-Saharan Africa’s premier broadcaster. As CWI’s third major media rights agreement finalised in the past few weeks, we are excited that SuperSport will be featuring every international series and regional tournament from the Caribbean, including the upcoming Sri Lanka Series and the rescheduled tour of the West Indies by South Africa in June.”

Grave also stated: “We are absolutely delighted to confirm this significant four-year agreement with SuperSport to ensure that millions of cricket fans in Sub-Saharan Africa can follow West Indies Cricket in the Caribbean. By partnering with Africa’s leading sports broadcaster, CWI continues to deliver against our strategic objective of increasing the worldwide audience for and access to one of the world’s most loved cricket teams and regions.”

CWI has also recently signed broadcast agreements with ESPN+ for the United States market and with BT Sport for the United Kingdom and Ireland markets.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2021, 05:00:45 PM »
US$51m sponsorship value from hosting CPL 2020
JONATHAN RAMNANANSINGH (T&T NEWSDAY).

The partnership between the 2020 Hero Caribbean Premier League (CPL) T20 tournament and Tourism Trinidad Ltd (TTL), which showcased Trinidad and Tobago as a preferred destination of choice in the Caribbean, generated a sponsorship value of US$51.5 million.

A statement issued by CPL communications officer Peter Miller on Thursday said the tournament’s viewership delivered a record viewership of 523 million – an increase of 67 per cent from 2019.

Owing to the pandemic, the CPL was played, for the first time, in one Caribbean nation and in a bio-secure bubble. The Brian Lara Cricket Academy in Tarouba and the Queen’s Park Oval in Port of Spain were the only two venues.

“TT were vital partners in delivering the 2020 Hero CPL. With Hero CPL taking place behind closed doors in TT there was even more focus than ever before from television broadcast and social media channels,” the statement said.

TTL had extensive destination branding at both the Oval and the Brian Lara Cricket Academy, such as team branding, in-stadium branding, and in-country fan zones.

Bespoke TV and Digital Content featured TT’s sites and attractions. The report, created by YouGov Sport, also showed that TT received 461 hours of brand exposure across the tournament – a significant year-on-year increase from 2019.

In addition, the TV broadcast and social media coverage highlighted some of what TT has to offer visitors.

The release added that the successful implementation of the tournament in exceptional circumstances showcased the nation’s ability to host a major international sporting event safely and successfully in the most challenging conditions.

Pete Russell, Hero CPL’s chief operations officer, said, “We are hugely grateful to TT for hosting us in the most trying of circumstances and the tournament could not have happened without their support.

“That Hero CPL were able to deliver such fantastic numbers for TT is hugely pleasing and it showed the world that even during these difficult times the Caribbean is open for business.

“We are sure that many people will have been inspired to visit this great country having seen it on this year’s Hero CPL broadcasts.”

In congratulating the tournament’s success, acting CEO of TTL Heidi Alert said such sporting events are the engine room of the Caribbean’s promotional arsenal.

She said CPL’s audience included not only the Caribbean and India, but the regional diaspora and cricket lovers in Europe, North America, Africa, Middle East, and the Asian Pacific. Alert said, “Not only are the skills, athletic brilliance, passion, and intensity of the players captured, but we were able to create awareness and excitement about our island.

“A subsequent international research survey, undertaken by TTL during October 2020, showed that 84 per cent of people who watched the cricket series, said they would travel to TT because of the destination branding during the CPL T20.”

Alert added, “The Hero CPL has really given new life to the game of cricket especially as it was successfully executed – without incident – in a covid19-safe environment.”

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2021, 02:10:51 PM »
Landmark digital agreement set to enhance global fan base
T&T Express Reports.

CWI SEALS DEAL

Cricket West Indies has signed a landmark four-year deal with India’s premier digital sports company, FanCode, and expects the partnership to result in a strengthening of its global fan base.

The deal, announced yesterday, will allow the Indian market to have access to a plethora of West Indies cricket with nearly 150 international and 250 domestic matches in the Caribbean being streamed exclusively on FanCode.

Additionally, FanCode will also be responsible for creating content to inform “deeper fan engagement”, by showcasing behind-the-scenes footage, player features and the culture of West Indies cricket.

“West Indies cricket remains immensely popular all around the world and many Indian fans see us as their second favourite team,” said CWI chief executive Johnny Grave. “They have always followed West Indies teams and players and this partnership will provide great access to bring them even closer.

“It is very important for the West Indies to access the significant cricket-loving passionate audience in India. We are excited and eager to work with FanCode and their innovative, digital-first broadcast platform.”

Available on FanCode will be 16 international West Indies series but more importantly, India’s 2022 tour of West Indies for three One-Day Internationals and three Twenty20 Internationals.

Several West Indies Women home series will also feature on FanCode along with Under-19 International fixtures, and matches in the Super50 Cup – CWI’s domestic one-day championship.

Other than the regular monthly and annual subscriptions, viewers will be able to watch a single match or an entire series, as well as watch real time match highlights and customise data to enhance their viewing experience. CWI president Ricky Skerritt said the partnership was key to further enhancing the relationship with India. “We are delighted to announce this new partnership with FanCode. India is one of our close allies in the cricket world and a key player in the global sporting landscape,” he explained.

“So this new agreement will enhance our presence there and also bring millions of fans closer to our team and to the magnificence of West Indies cricket.”

FanCode co-founder, Yannick Colaco, said the partnership was an exciting one, bringing Indian fans closer to the spirit of West Indies cricket. “The Caribbean is home to some of the most entertaining cricket played in the world,” Colaco said.

“We are excited to partner with Cricket West Indies and bring close to 400 matches from the Caribbean featuring some of world cricket’s biggest and brightest stars, to Indian cricket fans.

“This partnership will give millions of cricket fans in India the opportunity to experience FanCode and the many digital innovations we are bringing to improve the sports fan consumption experience.”

« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 02:13:02 PM by Flex »

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2021, 06:45:51 PM »
Ricky Skerritt set for 2nd innings at Cricket West Indies helm
JELANI BECKLES (T&T NEWSDAY).

RICKY Skerritt will be unopposed for the position of president of Cricket West Indies (CWI) when the postponed annual general meeting is held virtually on Sunday.

Skerritt was first elected president of CWI in March 2019.

The AGM was originally scheduled to be held on March 28, but the Guyana Cricket Board (GCB) and the Barbados Cricket Association (BCA) boycotted the elections, which led to the postponement.

Anand Sanasie was expected to challenge Skerritt in the elections, but then decided not to run.

Vice-president Dr Kishore Shallow will also be unopposed at the AGM ,as Calvin Hope has also withdrawn.

In a statement received by Newsday on April 1, Sanasie said, “After deep reflection and consultations with my advisers I have decided to withdraw my candidacy for presidency of CWI. I will shortly write to the corporate secretary to advise her accordingly. Consequently, I take this opportunity to extend congratulations and best wishes to Mr Ricky Skerritt since he will be uncontested. I urge that more deliberate efforts be made to strengthen the finances of CWI and to improve in the areas of prudent fiscal management, accountability and transparency.”

In a WhatsApp message to Newsday on Saturday, Skerritt confirmed that Sanasie had officially withdrawn. “I have just been informed that Mr Sanasie this afternoon submitted his letter of withdrawal from the election. His running mate (Hope) did so more than a week ago. Both Dr Shallow and myself are therefore now unopposed,” Skerritt said.

Sanasie served as secretary of the GCB executive that was defeated in the GCB elections on March 29.

He and Anand Kalladeen, who served as treasurer on the previous GCB, were the CWI directors representing the GCB under former GCB president Dru Bahadur.

Bahadur was replaced by Bissondyal Singh Snr as the GCB president.

In a Facebook post on March 28, the GCB explained why representatives did not attend the CWI AGM. The release said, “The main reason for this decision was that the current leadership of CWI failed to conform with the statutory requirements of the Articles of Association and present audited financial statement of CWI. Financial statements must be sent to shareholders 14 days before the AGM and are required to be approved by the board of directors. This was not done for the first time in decades.”

In the AGM timeline, the CWI said, “Draft CWI financial statements (were) sent to all members, having been approved by audit risk and compliance and finance committees and CWI board of directors,” on March 13.

The Windward Islands Cricket Board (WICB), the Leeward Islands Cricket Board (LICB) and the Jamaica Cricket Association (JCA) all expressed its sadness that the BCA and the GCB boycotted the elections.

“The WICB expresses sadness at the turn of events at the Cricket West Indies Annual General Meeting scheduled for today March 28, 2021.”

The LICB echoed the sentiments of the WICB.

“The LICB is saddened by the events of earlier today (March 28) at the CWI AGM…the LICB is deeply troubled, perplexed and horrified that the BCA and the GCB, which are globally recognised for producing some of the greatest cricketers to have played the game, were comfortable bringing CWI in such disrepute.”

The JCA’s statement said, “This (boycott) comes at a time when we need to work together to continue the rebuilding of our cricket, which requires a mature approach on the part of everyone especially those in leadership roles.”

President of the Trinidad and Tobago Cricket Board Azim Bassarath told Newsday the decision by the BCA and the GCB left all the directors shocked.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2021, 06:50:00 AM »
No matches in Trinidad as Cricket West Indies announces 'summer' international schedule
JOEL BAILEY (T&T NEWSDAY).

THERE WILL be no international cricket in Trinidad for 2021 after Cricket West Indies announced its "summer" international schedule on Friday.

It has been confirmed that South Africa, Australia and Pakistan will tour the West Indies.

The West Indies will be involved in four Test matches, three One Day Internationals and 15 T20 Internationals, from June 10 to August 24. A lot of focus will be on the T20 Internationals, as the T20 World Cup will take place between October and November in India.

South Africa will feature in two Tests in St Lucia (June 10-14 and June 18-22) and five T20 Internationals in Grenada (June 26- July 5). Those matches were tentatively set for Trinidad, but CWI scrapped those plans last week owing to the quarantine requirements of the TT Government.

Australia will play five T20 Internationals in St Lucia (July 9-16) and three one-dayers in Barbados (July 20-24), followed by the visit of Pakistan for five T20 Internationals (July 27 and 28 in Barbados; July 31-August 3 in Guyana) and two Tests in Jamaica (August 12-16 and August 20-24).

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2021, 10:18:15 AM »
Indo-Trinbagonians West Indian cricketers - 1950-2021
By Anand Rampersad Ph. D (T&T Guardian).

As the country celebrates the 176 years since the arrival of Indians to T&T, it is fitting to look at their engagement and contribution to sports. A cursory scan of the historical sporting landscape provides a picture of limited competitive participation across sporting disciplines.

It can be adduced that their (male and female) participation numbers have been greater in cricket across different levels when compared to other sports they engage in, such as tennis, table tennis, volleyball and badminton. On the other hand, they have been almost invisible in sports such as football, basketball, rugby, hockey, netball and track and field, to name a few at club and national levels.

Therefore, since cricket seems to be a synonym for Indo-Trinbagonian’s participation in sports, it is apt to highlight their involvement at the highest level-playing for the West Indies across all three formats - Test, One Day Internationals (ODIs) and T20.

Sonny Ramadhin is the first of 17 Indo-Trinbagonians to date to play Test cricket for the West Indies. He made his debut in 1950 (70th player) against England. Ramadhin along with Alf Valentine formed a formidable spinning partnership. He played 43 Test matches, 158 wickets at an average of 28.98 with a best bowling of 7 for 49 runs. A true legend of T&T and West Indies cricket Ramadhin celebrated his 92nd birthday on May 1, 2021.

The most prolific of the four batters who have represented the West Indies in Test cricket to date is Daren Ganga. Ganga (223rd) played 48 matches, scored 2,160 runs at an average of 25.71, with three centuries and a highest score of 135 vs India in 2006. He also captained the West Indies in 2007 on tour to England when Ramnaresh Sarwan became injured.

The promising Adrian Bharat (281st) played 15 matches, scored 657 runs at an average of 23.64 with a highest score of 104 vs Australia at the Gabba in 2009 on Test debut. At age of 19 years, Bharat became the youngest West Indian to score a Test century eclipsing the great George Headley. The other two Indo-Trinbagonian batters to play Test cricket for the West Indies are Nyron Agasrali (95th) who played two Test matches and Suruj Ragoonath (227th), two matches.

Denesh Ramdin (263rd) continued the line of wicketkeepers from T&T to play for the West Indies in Test cricket. He played 74 matches, scored 2,898 runs at an average of 25.85 with four centuries and 15 half-centuries. His highest Test score was 166, he took 205 catches and effected 12 stumpings. He was made West Indies captain in 2014.

Eleven of the 17 Indo-Trinbagonians to play for the West Indies in Test cricket have been spinners. The leading spinners other than the legendary Sonny Ramadhin are Dinanath Ramnarine (221st), 12 matches, 45 wickets at an average of 30.73 with a best bowling of 5 for 78 runs; Inshan Ali (139th) 12 matches, 34 wickets at 47.68 with a best bowling of 5 for 59 runs; Raphick Jumadeen (145th) 12 matches, 29 wickets at 39.34 with a best bowling of 4 for 72 runs and Sunil Narine (295th), six matches, 21 wickets at 40.52 with a best bowling of 6 for 91 runs.

The other spinners who played between one and five Test matches are Charan Singh (109th); Imtiaz Ali (154th); Rangy Nanan (174th); Rajindra Dhanraj (207th); Dave Mohammed (254th) and Amit Jaggernauth (270th).

The only fast bowler of Indo-Trinbagonian and Caribbean as a whole to play Test cricket for the West Indies is Ravi Rampaul (282nd ). He has played 18 matches, taken 49 wickets at an average of 34.79 with a best bowling of 4 for 48 runs.

Jasmine Sammy (8th player) 1976-79, played six Test matches, scored 134 runs, with a highest of 43 at an average of 14.88. She also took four wickets at an average of 9.75 with a best bowling of three for 22 runs.

Ten (10) players have represented the West Indies since their first ODI in 1973. These include Rajindra Dhanraj (71st), Dinanath Ramnarine (83rd); Daren Ganga (91st); Ravi Rampaul (118th); Denesh Ramdin (127th); Dave Mohammed (131st); Rayah Emrit (133 rd ); Adrian Bharat (155th); Sunil Narine (162nd); Jason Mohammed (163rd); Nicholas Pooran (190th) and Akeal Hosein (200th). Both Ramdin and Mohammed have had the distinguished honour of captaining the West Indies ODI team.

Anisa Mohammed (51st) has etched her name as a legend of both West Indies and world cricket. She leads the performances of the six Indo-Trinbagonian females who have represented West Indies in its first ODIs in 1979.

She made her ODI debut in 2003 vs Japan, have played 122 matches with 151 wickets at an average of 20.51 and a best bowling of 7 for 14 runs against Pakistan in 2011. She has taken a total of six five-wicket hauls in ODIs. In 2020, she was named in the ICC ODI Team of the decade- 2010-2020.

Other players who have played ODIs for the West Indies are Jasmine Sammy (10th); Cherry Ann Singh (24th); Gaitri Seetahal (65th); Amanda Samaroo (67th) and Karishma Ramharack (87th).

In T20 cricket, nine players have represented the West Indies since its first game in 2006. These players are Daren Ganga (1 match); Denesh Ramdin (9th); Ravi Rampaul (13th); Adrian Bharat (40th); Sunil Narine (55th); Samuel Badree (56th); Nicholas Pooran (64th); Jason Mohammed (67th); and Rayad Emrit (70th).

In T20, Anisa Mohammed (6th) has etched her name in the history books by becoming the first player- male/female- to take 100 wickets in T20. To date she has played 111 matches, have taken 120 wickets at an average of 17.30 with a best bowling of five wickets for 10 runs. She has taken three five-wicket hauls in T20s. Other players have been Amanda Samaroo (23rd) who played five matches and Karishma Ramharack (37th) who has played six matches to date.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2021, 07:12:26 AM »
Indo-Trinbagonians West Indian cricketers - 1950-2021
By Anand Rampersad Ph. D (T&T Guardian).

As the country celebrates the 176 years since the arrival of Indians to T&T, it is fitting to look at their engagement and contribution to sports. A cursory scan of the historical sporting landscape provides a picture of limited competitive participation across sporting disciplines.

It can be adduced that their (male and female) participation numbers have been greater in cricket across different levels when compared to other sports they engage in, such as tennis, table tennis, volleyball and badminton. On the other hand, they have been almost invisible in sports such as football, basketball, rugby, hockey, netball and track and field, to name a few at club and national levels.

Therefore, since cricket seems to be a synonym for Indo-Trinbagonian’s participation in sports, it is apt to highlight their involvement at the highest level-playing for the West Indies across all three formats - Test, One Day Internationals (ODIs) and T20.

Almost two centuries later, rather than stating essentially the obvious, it would have been more apt to interrogate the 'limited competitive participation across sporting disciplines' of which there is much simplification, excuse-making and territorial marking, but limited rigorous inquiry.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2021, 07:14:31 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2021, 08:18:08 PM »
SQUAD ANNOUNCED FOR 1ST BETWAY TEST MATCH AGAINST SOUTH AFRICA
June 8, 2021, 1:58 p.m.
Exciting teenager Jayden Seales among 13 to face Proteas

Recalls for batsmen Shai Hope and Kieran Powell

GROS ISLET, Saint Lucia – The Cricket West Indies (CWI) Selection Panel today named the West Indies Men’s 13-member squad for the first Betway Test Match against South Africa. The Test squad includes one newcomer in Jayden Seales, the exciting 19-year-old fast bowler from Trinidad & Tobago and former member of West Indies Under-19 World Cup squad in 2020, who has been very impressive since he emerged on the scene.

The panel also recalled Shai Hope, the top-order batsman, and Kieran Powell, the experienced left-handed opener. Hope last played Test cricket in England in July last year, while Powell’s last Test appearance was in Bangladesh in December, 2018.

https://www.windiescricket.com/news/squad-announced-1st-betway-test-match-against-south-africa/
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2022, 12:53:24 AM »
Simmons resigns after disastrous World Cup
By Jelani Beckles (T&T Newsday).

Cricket West Indies (CWI) confirmed the coach's exit in a media release on Monday.

Simmons's exit came days after the regional side failed to make it past the qualifying phase of the International Cricket Council T20 World Cup in Australia. In his most recent stint as coach, Simmons led the regional team from 2019-2022. He was previously coach of the team from 2015-2016.

However, Simmons will have one last hurrah as he will remain in charge for the two-match Test series against Australia, from November 30 to December 12.

Simmons apologised for the team's poor showing in the World Cup qualifiers, which saw defeats to Scotland and Ireland.

“I acknowledge that it’s not just the team that is hurting but the proud nations we represent as well," Simmons said. "It’s disappointing and heart wrenching but we just didn’t turn up. We weren’t good enough and we now have to watch a tournament play out without our involvement. It's unfathomable and for that I deeply apologise to our fans and followers."

Simmons said his decision to resign was not solely because of the disastrous World Cup campaign.

"From a personal perspective, this is not a knee-jerk reaction, but a move I have been considering for some time and now is the time to make public that I will step down as West Indies coach at the end of the Test series against Australia. It is earlier than hoped for, but I will now focus my energies in Australia on continuing to build on the excellent progress the Test team has made. Of course, as the president has pointed out, we will also carry out the necessary review into our World Cup campaign.”

Simmons said he enjoyed his tenure and the support he got from his staff. “I must say I have enjoyed aspects of the unique challenge that being West Indies coach provides and the unwavering support of my management team. There remain some exceptional individuals within CWI who I firmly believe will continue to work in the best interests of West Indies cricket.”

CWI president Ricky Skerritt thanked Simmons for his service.

“On behalf of CWI I want to thank Phil for his hard work and dedication to West Indies cricket, most recently in his role as coach," Simmons said.

"Phil is a proud West Indian, with high ideals and has never lacked motivation in guiding our younger players on and off the field of play. He brought valuable experience and stability at a very important period of transformation, including the most challenging environment of the covid19 pandemic. We wish him all the best in his future endeavours.”

In an interview on the SportsMax Zone on Monday, CWI CEO Johnny Grave said after discussions it was decided that Simmons should be given a last chance to coach the Test team for the series in Australia.

Grave said, "Jimmy Adams, our director of cricket, spoke to Phil about his motivation and energy and appetite to go and do that final assignment. I know that Jimmy also spoke to Kraigg Brathwaite our Test captain and the Test captain gave his endorsement of Phil staying on and believed that will give the team the best possible chance in Australia."

Asked if people can expect more resignations, Grave said over the next two weeks reflection and soul searching will take place.

HIGHS

Simmons was at the helm in 2016 when West Indies won their second ICC Men’s T20 World Cup title defeating England at the Eden Gardens in Kolkata, India. Earlier this year he guided the team’s fortunes in their hard-fought 1-0 Test series win over England on home soil to capture the Richards-Botham Trophy and in June a Test series victory against Bangladesh in their last outing.

West Indies showed potential in the Test format since 2019 under Simmons. West Indies played in ten Test series with Simmons at the helm - winning four, losing four and drawing two.

LOWS

However, the regional team has been abysmal in the T20 and ODI formats. Over the last few months West Indies have been struggling at home in the ODI format losing three-match series to Bangladesh, India and New Zealand.

West Indies suffered 3-0 sweeps against Bangladesh and India and lost 2-1 to New Zealand. The West Indies form in T20 cricket at home has been just as disappointing over the past few months. West Indies defeated Bangladesh 2-0 in a three-match series, but lost 4-1 to India in a five-match series and 2-1 to New Zealand in a three-match series.

The West Indies are also likely to miss out on automatic qualification for the 50-Over World Cup in India next year.

1]; } ?>