April 19, 2024, 01:34:26 AM

Author Topic: CNMG to close, TTT is back.  (Read 1468 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
CNMG to close, TTT is back.
« on: August 25, 2017, 05:04:50 AM »
CNMG to close, TTT is back.
T&T Newsday Reports.

STATE OWNED Caribbean New Media Group (CNMG) is to be wound up. Public Administration and Communications Minister Maxie Cuffie said Cabinet took this decision at its weekly meeting at the Diplomatic Centre, St Ann’s yesterday. Cuffie said this would pave the way for the return of Trinidad and Tobago Television (TTT).

The minister said the new TTT will focus on local programming and Government information.

Recalling that consultations were held about the future of CNMG in December 2015, Cuffie said stakeholders at those consultations felt CNMG had lost its mandate.

He said CNMG currently has 112 employees and 37 freelancers, all of whom would be free to apply for jobs at the new TTT. The new company will be formed from the assets of CNMG and Government Information Services Limited (GISL) which was wound up this year. The winding up of CNMG is expected to see 99.1 Next FM and 91.1 Talk City being closed. However, Sweet 100FM will be retained.

In another interview, Cuffie said CNMG is currently doing a manpower audit exercise.

“The only change is that the audit will look at what we will need for CNMG’s operations,” he said.

Cuffie also said TTT still had a brand recognition and an affinity which CNMG never attained. The minister will hold a news conference today at the NALIS Building in Port of Spain to provide further details on yesterday’s Cabinet decision.

TTT commenced operations on August 24, 1962. The station was closed on January 4, 2005 due to financial difficulties. CNMG started operations in 2005.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: CNMG to close, TTT is back.
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 01:09:56 PM »
Talk City real good Breds. But they could go another station, ah guess.

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2017, 10:32:16 AM »
i remember this station as a boy it was the only one then when I move to england as a teen to my suprise we had choices. but I still remember the times coming home from school to a hot meal cookie monster battle star galactica and steelband concert. those were some fond memories.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2017, 11:53:29 AM »
i remember this station as a boy it was the only one then when I move to england as a teen to my suprise we had choices. but I still remember the times coming home from school to a hot meal cookie monster battle star galactica and steelband concert. those were some fond memories.

When I left TT there was only two radio stations and one tv station. Wonderful "choices".

1]; } ?>