March 28, 2024, 02:47:04 PM

Author Topic: University grads apply for municipal police jobs  (Read 1012 times)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
University grads apply for municipal police jobs
« on: January 23, 2018, 11:55:00 PM »
http://www.guardian.co.tt/news/2018-01-23/university-grads-line-city-police-jobs

Allyuh think this going to help with better police responds to address the public concerns, or we need lego beast for police wuk.

There is a growing trend towards university graduates and people with technical qualifications applying to become municipal police officers.

When the T&T Guardian visited a recruitment drive at City Hall in Port-of-Spain, yesterday, several prospective candidates claimed that they decided to apply since they struggled to find jobs after graduating.

Arvin Rattansingh, a final-year student at the University of the West Indies, explained that he was applying in advance due to the competitive job market and cutbacks in the Government’s On the Job Training programme.

“With the way the country is going, I am not seeing any real avenue to get a job. I am looking for job security once I leave university,” Rattan said.

One woman, who asked to remain unidentified, said she had difficulties in finding employment while pursuing her masters degree.

“To be honest being a police officer was never my dream. It is an honest job and I could help serve my country and study part-time,” she said.

Statutory Authorities Service Commission administrative officer Grayson Jordon, whose department is overseeing the recruitment drive, confirmed that it had received resumes from university graduates for the positions, which require five O’Level passes including English.

Jordon said the Commission was seeking to fill 325 vacancies within the Municipal Police Service in Port-of-Spain, Arima, San Fernando and Point Fortin.

While they have the same powers of arrest and investigation as regular police officers, municipal police officers mainly perform their duties at municipal corporation facilities and enforce their by-laws and regulations.

The recruitment drive is seeking to fulfil a Cabinet mandate to strengthen the municipal police force to 1,400.

Successful candidates will undergo a four-month training programme conducted by the Office of Law Enforcement Policy.

The last segment of the recruitment drive is expected to take place in Point Fortin on Saturday between 7 am and 3 pm.

1]; } ?>