March 29, 2024, 05:28:01 AM

Author Topic: 2018 Caribbean Women's World Cup Qualifiers  (Read 29331 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Re: 2018 Caribbean Women's World Cup Qualifiers
« Reply #120 on: September 18, 2018, 03:13:04 AM »
Shamfa: TTFA never submitted formal proposal to assist Women’s Team; gives Monday deadline.
By Lasana Liburd (Wired868).

Minister of Sport and Youth Affairs Shamfa Cudjoe has given the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) until noon on Monday to submit a formal proposal seeking financial assistance for the Women’s National Senior Team, after the football body admitted to mangling its application for government funding.

On Tuesday, Women Soca Warriors manager Jinelle James contacted Sports Ministry Director of Physical Education and Sport, Patrice Charles, to request TT$159,360 to cover the cost or airfare for 28 players to Trinidad for training and preparation.

However, according to a release from the Sport Ministry, the request was done informally by email and not sent—as Charles specifically instructed—on a TTFA letterhead.

And, as it transpired, TTFA general secretary Justin Latapy-George and the TTFA board allegedly knew nothing about James’ proposal.

“At today’s meeting, [Latapy-George] claimed that neither he, nor the executive of TTFA were aware of the proposal being made by Ms James,” stated the MSYA release, “and he requested that Ms James’ proposal be withdrawn with immediate effect.

“Mr Latapy-George further stated that the executive of [the] TTFA is in the process of considering other options—contrary to what Ms James proposed—to facilitate the preparation of the players, that may consist of having the locally based players travel to the USA to train with the foreign based players, rather than have the USA based players fly to Trinidad.”

Cudjoe gave the local football body roughly 60 hours to get its business together for the sake of the Women Soca Warriors.

Incidentally, the Trinidad and Tobago Women’s National Under-15 Team were forced to forfeit their own Concacaf tournament in July, after the football body’s late application for US visas. Latapy-George subsequently met with the US Embassy to smoothen over relations, after TTFA president David John-Williams called Embassy Chargé d’Affaires John McIntyre a liar.

John-Williams did not attend the follow-up meeting with McIntyre; and he did not meet Cudjoe today either, as the Sport Minister tried to get to the bottom of cries for help from the Women Warriors.

The Women’s Senior Team does not have a head coach at present and John-Williams cannot legally appoint one without the support of his board. However, the football president has so far resisted requests to have a board meeting.

Today, six TTFA board members formally invoked article 35 of the constitution to force John-Williams to meet to discuss: the appointment of a technical staff to the Women’s National Team, the status of the Men’s Under-17 and Under-20 teams, and refereeing issues previously tabled by the TTFRA.

Article 35 states:

“The President shall convene the meetings of the Board of Directors at least once  every two months. Moreover, if 50% of the members of the Board of Directors request a meeting in writing, the President shall convene it within ten days.

“If the President does not convene the requested meeting by the aforementioned period of time, the other members of the Board of Directors may convene it themselves.”

However, the deadline set by the constitution gives John-Williams until 24 September to call the board meeting. If he does not choose to meet the board earlier, the women could potentially have as little as 10 days with their new coach before they face Panama in the 2018 Concacaf Championship, which serves as a qualifying series for the France 2019 World Cup.

The board members who demanded that John-Williams address the Women’s National Senior Team are: Karanjabari Williams (Northern FA), Joseph Taylor (Trinidad and Tobago Football Referees Association), Sharon Warrick (Women’s League Football), Julia Baptiste (TT Pro League), Collin Partap (Central Football Association) and Keith Look Loy (TTSL).

The remaining board members are: John-Williams (president), Joanne Salazar and Ewing Davis (vice-presidents), Richard Quan Chan (Southern FA), Anthony Moore (Tobago FA) and Wayne Cunningham (Eastern FA).

The following is the full release from the Ministry of Sport and Youth Affairs on today’s meeting with the TTFA, which was attended by Latapy-George and James:

The Honourable Shamfa Cudjoe, Minister of Sport and Youth Affairs along with senior officials of the Ministry met today with General Secretary of the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA), Mr Justin Latapy-George and Ms Jinelle James, Manager of the Women’s National Football Team, in light of the recent claims circulating on Social Media in relation to the lack of support shown to the Trinidad and Tobago Senior Women’s Football Team.

The Ministry of Sport and Youth Affairs advises the public that no formal request was made to the Ministry by TTFA for assistance for the CONCACAF qualifiers for the FIFA women’s World Cup, or any other activities this year.

Last week, a request was made for assistance with transportation for the locally based players to be transported to and from training at the Ato Boldon and Mannie Ramjohn Stadia in Trinidad. To this end, the Ministry has provided its buses to be used by the team.

On Monday September 10, 2018, Ms Janelle James contacted Mr Patrice Charles, Director of Physical Education and Sport, MSYA to inquire about assistance for the team, in its efforts to have the foreign based players travel to Trinidad to join the locally based players for training. Mr Patrice Charles provided the necessary guidance to Ms James and informed her that a formal detailed request must be submitted by the TTFA, on its letterhead, to the Ministry, since the TTFA is the National Governing Body that has remit over the national team.

However, on Tuesday 11th September 2018, the MSYA through Mr Patrice Charles received an informal email from Ms Jinelle James, Women’s National Team Manager requesting a total of $159,360 to cover the cost of airfare for 28 persons, in the effort to have all foreign based players travel to Trinidad for training and preparation.

Following the developments in the media relating to the issue, Minister Shamfa Cudjoe called the management of TTFA to a meeting to discuss and attempt to resolve the matter.

At today’s meeting, Mr Justin Latapy-George, General Secretary of TTFA, claimed that neither he, nor the executive of TTFA were aware of the proposal being made by Ms James and he requested that Ms James’ proposal be withdrawn with immediate effect.

Mr Latapy-George further stated that the executive of TTFA is in the process of considering other options, contrary to what Ms James proposed, to facilitate the preparation of the players, that may consist of having the locally based players travel to the USA to train with the foreign based players, rather than have the USA based players fly to Trinidad. He also stated that the TTFA executive is also in the process of finalizing arrangements for a coach and other technical support for the team.

Mr Latapy-George stated that the executive would like the opportunity to meet and reason with the team’s management in order to properly discuss the matter at hand, and subsequently produce a detailed proposal along with a formal request for funding to the Ministry.

Minister Cudjoe reminded the TTFA officials that time is of the essence, and that the team is depending on the TTFA management to work diligently and harmoniously in the best interest of dedicated players, and football by extension.

Minister Cudjoe gave the officials a deadline of Monday September 17, 2018, no later than 12:00 pm, to submit the relevant proposal for consideration by the Ministry of Sport and Youth Affairs.

Given the fact that the end of fiscal year 2017/2018 is upon us, the Ministry will explore all possible means in order to provide the necessary assistance to the team, once the required documents are submitted.

The Ministry of Sport and Youth Affairs remains committed to providing the relevant support in ensuring that T&T attains the highest standard of athletes at the international level. Further, the future of sport in Trinidad and Tobago is in good hands under the leadership and guidance of the Ministry of Sport and Youth Affairs.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #121 on: September 19, 2018, 01:01:45 AM »
Cooper appointed women’s team coach.
By Joel Bailey (Newsday).

TTFA requests $$ for pre-tournament camp as…

THE TT Football Association (TTFA) have made a request for a pre-tournament camp for the national women’s football team, ahead of the CONCACAF Women’s Championship, which will take place in the United States from October 4-17.

So said TTFA general secretary Justin Latapy-George, during an interview yesterday.

And the TTFA, in a media release yesterday, also confirmed the appointment of Shawn Cooper as team coach for the CONCACAF Championship.

On Friday, Minister of Sport and Youth Affairs, Shamfa Cudjoe, after a meeting with Latapy-George and TT women’s team manager Jinelle James, gave the TTFA until noon yesterday to submit a proposal for financial assistance for the squad, who are vying for a spot at the 2019 FIFA Women’s World Cup in France.

Latapy-George admitted yesterday that the deadline was met.

He added that a reply was sent from Sports Company of TT executive manager, sports development, Anthony Creed, requesting some sub-totals to the request that was sent by the TTFA.

“That is what I’m working on, to re-send it to the Sports Company and the Ministry of Sports,” said Latapy-George.

Last Thursday, national team defender, US-born Lauryn Hutchinson, took to social media to request assistance for the TT-based players to travel to Richmond, Virginia (Hutchinson’s home town) for a pre-tournament camp. Hutchinson also called for help from anyone willing to accommodate the players, provide nutrients and clothing for the players.

Latapy-George commented, “Part of the request we sent to the Ministry of Sport, through the Sports Company (yesterday) morning included a request for a pre-tournament camp. It’s something that we usually try to do with all teams going into any major tournaments.”

The CONCACAF Championship involves eight teams battling for three automatic World Cup spots.

In the same release, the TTFA also outlined the sum of monies spent on the national women’s programme from November 2015 (when David John-Williams replaced Raymond Tim Kee as president) till now.

According to the TTFA, a total of $3,701,667.58 has been spent on player retainer contracts, salaries for technical staff members, overseas travels, medical supplies, transport and equipment.

The TTFA noted that technical committee head and board member Richard Quan Chan “prudently round robin the recommendation (of Cooper) for Board approval.”

The release continued, “Of the nine eligible voting members on (the) Board, five gave approval, one abstained and three did not approve.”

This decision has been met with condemnation from Keith Look Loy, outspoken board member and TT Super League president.

Look Loy said, “I am challenging those statistics. We have six members of the Board (who) called for a meeting under article 35 of the constitution to discuss this matter. Half of the Board has said ‘we do not approve of what’s happening and we need a meeting to discuss the (issue)’. I’m not surprised. The Board has 12 members.”

He continued, “No problem, let them proceed. We would hold to the position that this is an illegal appointment.”

Look Loy made it clear that he does not have an issue with Cooper, but in the manner of his appointment. “I understand the urgency of having a coach and a staff appointed to this team,” he said. “We all do. But things have to be done constitutionally and legally. The constitution is not a convenience.

“It is the law, and we have to abide by the law. All they had to do was call an official meeting where we could discuss it. How can they appoint anybody when they’re not telling us who applied? We do not know who applied, and there were multiple applications.”

RELATED NEWS

TTFA board still to rule on Cooper appointment; Waldrum, Hood declare coaching interest.
By Lasana Liburd (Wired868).

The Women Soca Warriors were promised the necessary funding for their upcoming Concacaf Championships in the United States by the Ministry of Sport and Youth Affairs. But the matter of their technical staff for the competition remains a contentious issue.

On Monday, Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) president David John-Williams announced Shawn Cooper as the new head coach of the Women’s National Senior Team, via an unsigned press statement. However, Cooper’s appointment violated at least two articles of the TTFA constitution and was deemed illegal by board member Keith Look Loy.

Look Loy confirmed that at least seven of the football body’s 12 member board are committed to meeting on 24 September—the earliest time permitted by the constitution, once a request is ignored by the president—to discuss the women’s coaching job, the dormant Men’s Under-17 and Under-20 teams and local refereeing.

“We are going to go ahead with our meeting come what may,” he told Wired868. “It is not only about the Women’s Senior Team. The Women’s Under-15 Team that should have gone to the US haven’t even resumed training; and the Men’s Under-17 and Under-20 Teams are in total collapse.

“We have elite teams that are fully sponsored [by NLCB] and their coaches are not even paid. Yet they are falsifying figures and talking about how much they spend, when we have women players paying for their own luggage on national duty. Enough is enough.”

Look Loy admitted the close proximity of the Concacaf competition, which serves as a qualifying series for the 2019 France Women’s World Cup, creates a dilemma for board members who only want John-Williams to adhere to the constitution.

Trinidad and Tobago play their opening Concacaf fixture against Panama on 4 October in North Carolina. Cooper, who also coaches Presentation College (San Fernando) in the SSFL and Queen’s Park Cricket Club in the TTSL, has worked with the team for the past two months and is preparing the local-based Women Warriors at present.

It means the board must factor in whether a change, at this late stage, might be disastrous to the team’s qualification chances.

“Although [Cooper’s appointment] is illegal, in the real world they need a coach now and that is the rough patch they put us in,” said Look Loy. “All they had to do [when Jamaal Shabazz resigned as head coach on 8 August] was come clean and let us deal with it. But instead they went illegally with [Anton] Corneal and Cooper and they are doing it again with Cooper.

“All we are saying is they should follow the constitution… Now if we wait until the 24th, we are giving the girls a coach for two weeks. so they have put the women’s team in a no win situation.

“What they are telling us is we must either sacrifice the team or sacrifice the constitution. Therefore either democratic government and transparency or the team would be the loser here, although I am pretty sure both will lose from this.”

The board may yet have an interesting choice to make, though, as two coaches with significant experience with the current squad indicated that they were ready to take the reins, if asked.

Texan coach Randy Waldrum, alongside his son Ben Waldrum, led the Women Warriors to the 2014 Women’s Caribbean Championship title and then to within a whisker of the Canada 2015 World Cup. And, as far as he is concerned, he has unfinished business with the Trinidad and Tobago women’s programme.

“I would be interested in coaching the team,” said Waldrum, who is the head coach of the University of Pittsburgh at present. “I think some things would have to be worked out because I am in the middle of my season obviously; but I think if those things can be worked out, then certainly.

“What would have to happen is they would need to send the team here for preparation. If they can do that and my employers in Pittsburgh agree, it would allow me to work with [the Trinidad and Tobago team] as I continue with my season here.”

Waldrum was the first sacking of the John-Williams-led administration, as he was relieved of his duties just six weeks into the new president’s term.

At the time, John-Williams said he replaced Waldrum due the coach’s tardiness in submitting a comprehensive four-year plan for the Women’s Warriors and the list of players he wanted to use. The TTFA president gave the Texan four days to submit the paperwork; and Waldrum was exactly 59 minutes late.

“I contacted Randy Waldrum and I asked him for a proposal […] and the list of players he wanted to use,” said John-Williams, at the time. “[…] On January 7 at 12:59am, he (wrote) to me. I responded to him at 2.54 am and said: ‘Dear Randy. Thank you for your email which I received at 1 am this morning on the 7th of January 2016. I am disappointed to receive it so late’…”

John-Williams subsequently announced Police FC head coach Richard Hood, a former women’s national coach, as Waldrum’s replacement—even before the football body created a technical committee to advise on such decisions. Notably, Hood was not asked to do a four-year plan for the Women Warriors, let alone given less than a week to do it.

The policeman’s selection was allegedly motivated by a secret campaign promise from John-Williams. However, he lasted barely five weeks as national women’s head coach.

After their pre-tournament camp in Costa Rica mysteriously failed to materialise, Hood took the team into the 2016 Rio Olympic qualifying series with only a solitary practice match against an under-18 club team in the US. Yet, the Women Warriors advanced to the Concacaf semifinal stage before losing 5-0 to the US.

Hood never got another chance.

“I was asked to coach the team for the tournament and was told my performances would be assessed going forward,” said Hood, who felt a good showing at Concacaf level would have landed him the post permanently. “After the tournament, the president told me I did well. And then I read in the papers that a big international coach [Carolina Morace] was coming to take over the programme. And that was it.”

Like Waldrum, Hood also said he was happy to return to the top women’s job if a vacancy arose. Both men have conditions for their employment.

Waldrum is happy to coach for free in the Concacaf competition. Four years ago, he received stipends rather than a salary from the TTFA; but that allowed him to juggle the national post with his coaching jobs in the United States.

He would like more freedom to develop a programme for the local women’s game, though.

“My reasons for doing it aren’t the finances, that part wouldn’t be the concern for me,” said Waldrum. “If I did this, I would be doing it for the girls and not to help the federation… But I would like the opportunity to build something here. If they kept us on board and helped us create a program for the women, we would have been in a much better position now.

“I think there is a constant changing of coaches with no programs being set down. They are doing the same thing every four years, which is doing no planning and then  trying to throw things together at the last minute.”

Hood, a policeman employed with the E999 branch, said he lost thousands of dollars in overtime when he last coached the team; and he got nothing but a stipend in return.

He revealed that, last year, either women’s head coach Jamaal Shabazz or director of football Muhammad Isa—now deceased—approached him with an offer to coach the Women’s Under-17 Team. The policeman asked for a contract and a salary. He never heard about the opportunity again.

Shabazz subsequently coached the Under-17 Team himself and they were eliminated in the Caribbean rounds.

“I think in the past I’ve been given the opportunity to coach the team under difficult circumstances and only for short periods,” said Hood. “I won’t be interested under those conditions again. If an offer is made with a substantial period of time then I would be interested but not just for this tournament.

“Every time I coached a women’s team, it has been going into a tournament and without proper preparation. That is the way it has been going, particularly for local coaches, and I think that is a disrespect to us. You are essentially not giving us an opportunity to succeed.”

Their potential coaching proposals may form part of the discussion on 24 September when the board meets. Cooper, who led the Trinidad and Tobago Men’s National Under-17 Team to the 2013 Concacaf quarterfinals, is also a highly regarded local coach.

John-Williams has already hinted that he would not recognise the upcoming meeting. Look Loy urged football stakeholders, well wishers and members of the public not to be put off by the TTFA’s in-fighting; but to stand up for the right thing.

“The people of this country feel every battle is bacchanal and confusion but that sort of statement would have is in slavery still,” said Look Loy. “It is the so called bacchanal and confusion that causes change. We want our laws and institutions to work and to have democracy and a collective process; but they want to run their private agenda, break the law, victimise people and run football like a private fiefdom.

“I went through that before [under disgraced former FIFA vice president Jack Warner] and fought from the inside quietly, observing the protocols and confidentiality. I am going to fight differently this time.

“This time, I am doing it in the public and who vexed with that lorse. But I am not going through this a second time.”

« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 12:25:59 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #122 on: September 19, 2018, 01:02:07 AM »
James fires back, accuses TTFA of slander.

MANAGER of the national women’s football team, Jinelle James, has issued a media release, accusing the TT Football Association (TTFA) of sullying her reputation.

James, a former national midfielder, issued a statement less than 24 hours after the TTFA, in a media release, stated that she did not approach its president David John-Williams nor general secretary Justin Latapy-George for an overseas camp for the TT women’s team “prior to nor at the time of postings made on social media by players on Wednesday 12th September 2018”.

The national women’s team are preparing for the CONCACAF Women’s Championship in the United States, from October 4-17.

The CONCACAF Championship serves as the final round of qualifiers for the 2019 FIFA Women’s World Cup in France.

According to James, “On Monday 10 September, I sent an e-mail to the general secretary and copied president, technical director (Anton Corneal) and technical committee chair (Richard Quan Chan) that itemises all areas of concern for the team that included salaries for staff and players, US visas, US team camp and seeking assistance and fundraisers.

“To date, no one has responded to that e-mail,” said James.

The long-standing team manager admitted, “I am well aware that this release may jeopardise my position (on) the women’s team, but I must stand up for some measure of principle and my own values.”

RELATED NEWS

James: TTFA ‘misleading’ the public about me.

Women’s manager shows email to defend reputation

MANAGER of the national women’s football team, Jinelle James, has refuted the claim by the TT Football Association (TTFA) that she made “no approach” to its president David John-Williams or general secretary Justin Latapy-George for an overseas camp prior to two TT footballers going on social media last week to beg for support to host one.

James, in a letter to the media, provided a copy of an email sent on September 10 to Latapy-George and copied to John-Williams, technical director Anton Corneal and chairman of the technical committee Richard Quan Chan. National football Lauryn Hutchinson posted a video online three days after that date, asking for food, water and people in Virigina to open their homes to accommodate our women footballers for a pre-tournament camp. Canadian-based TT defender Arin King called for equality and respect for the national women on Twitter.

The national women’s team are preparing for the CONCACAF Women’s Championship in the United States, from October 4-17. The CONCACAF Championship serves as the final round of qualifiers for the 2019 FIFA Women’s World Cup in France.

According to James, “the TTFA sent out a media release which is completely misleading and I have no choice but to respond and defend myself against this attempt to sully my reputation.”

She added, “On Monday 10 September, I sent an e-mail to the general secretary and copied president, technical director (Anton Corneal) and technical committee chair (Richard Quan Chan) that itemises all areas of concern for the team that included salaries for staff and players, US visas, US team camp and seeking assistance and fund-raisers. To date, no one has responded to that e-mail,” said James.

She also addressed the TTFA’s statement that she was never authorised to approach the Ministry of Sport to request funds for the team. “I had a conversation with (Latapy-George) that spoke to seeking assistance to the Ministry of Sport.”

James added, “He informed me that it is the end of (the) financial year and it wouldn’t be possible to get any support due to the timelines when all financials had to be submitted.”

When she informed Latapy-George about the urgent need for support, the TTFA general secretary, according to James, “responded that I can go ahead and reach to the Ministry to see what is possible. “I made a call to the Ministry, explained that we needed to get the team together and hence the e-mail was sent to get a gauge of if and how much support can be received for the team.”

On Friday, James and Latapy-George held a meeting with Minister of Sport and Youth Affairs Shamfa Cudjoe who gave the TTFA a Monday deadline to submit a proposal for financial assistance for the TT women’s team.

Cudjoe revealed last evening that her Ministry will provide over $400,000 towards the team’s preparation for the CONCACAF Championship. James, a long-standing team manager, admitted yesterday, “I am well aware that this release may jeopardise my position (on) the women’s team, but I must stand up for some measure of principle and my own values.”

Speaking to Newsday, James said she is uncertain now about the status of her relationship with the TTFA. “At this point, I really can’t say,” she acknowledged in a telephone interview. “It might be strained, it might be untenable, it might be business as usual.

“However, I think the whole situation looked pretty much like throwing me under the bus, publicly. I think it was dealt with poorly and I just had to defend myself.”

The TT manager has received an outpouring of support from national women footballers on social media for standing up for their rights.

James said it was a challenge to get the team to Jamaica for the CONCACAF Caribbean Finals last month and she did not wish to see it happen again.

According to James, three foreign-based players arrived in Jamaica on August 20, 12 persons (six players and six staff) on August 22, two persons on a separate flight, five players on August 24, two players on the morning of the first match on August 25 and two players afterwards.

“Am I expected to watch this happen again and do nothing, not try to get assistance for the team?” asked James. She also clarified a point made by the TTFA that the team participated in 19 international matches in the last 18 months.

“Out of these 19 matches, four were actual friendlies and (the rest) were all part of the calendar of events for women’s football in the region – CFU Challenge Series, CONCACAF Caribbean Preliminary, the CAC Games where the TT Olympic Committee covered the majority of expenses and the recently concluded CONCACAF Caribbean Finals.”

In her statement, James asked, “Are players and staff just supposed to step lightly and not enquire about their salaries when it is late? Are the players not supposed to get frustrated and have a voice as they realise nothing is being done to help the team?”

Contacted for a response, Latapy-George, who admitted that he saw James’ statement, was coy when asked if he was privy to the TTFA’s media release before it was issued on Monday afternoon.

“I want you to have a chat with the president,” said Latapy-George. “This (matter) has to be with the (TTFA) and the employee.”

However, he pointed out, “It is poor management practice to engage publicly in matters that appears to be a challenge being raised by an employee. Best management practice dictates that I am the representative of the employer, in this case the TTFA.

“It is my right and my responsibility to have a direct discussion with Ms James and not engage in any public discourse that can add any more noise to that particular situation. It is standard management practice that these matters are dealt with internally.”

Repeated calls to John-Williams went unanswered up to press time last evening.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 19, 2018, 06:50:04 AM »
MSYA brings relief to Women’s Football Team by providing $430,000 in funding to the TTFA
Ministry of Sport and Youth Affairs

The Honourable Shamfa Cudjoe, Minister of Sport and Youth Affairs, along with senior officials of the Ministry, met today with Mr. David John-Williams, President of the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) and other members of the TTFA at the Ministry’s Head Office, St. Clair Avenue, Port of Spain.

As highlighted in a Media Release issued by the Ministry last Friday, TTFA was given a deadline of Monday, September 17, 2018 to submit a formal funding request towards the support of the Women’s Football Team and their preparations for the World Cup Qualifiers. The TTFA met yesterday’s deadline and discussions were held this morning to determine how assistance could be provided.

Yesterday, following a request made by the locally based members of the team, Minister Cudjoe met with the women’s national football team to gain further insight into their plight.  The Minister was informed about the many challenges faced by the players, including the matter of outstanding retainer fees owed to the players by the TTFA.

With fifteen (15) days left before the commencement of the Women’s World Cup Qualifiers Final Stage, the Ministry has reviewed the proposal submitted by the TTFA and has agreed to provide 100% of the amount requested, in the sum of Four Hundred and Thirty Thousand Dollars (TT$430,000). This financial assistance is intended to cover the costs of airfare, hotel accommodation, food and beverage, pre-training camp, medical and baggage fees, and other items, for the team and the technical support staff. 

Minister Cudjoe also used the opportunity to highlight the concerns raised by the members of the team, especially as it relates to the outstanding retainer fees owed to the members by the TTFA. In response, The TTFA has committed to pay retainers fees to the players before their departure on September 25, 2018.

The TTFA will be invited to sign a Service Level Agreement (SLA) to ensure funds are properly disbursed and utilized.

Minister Cudjoe stated that “the welfare of these players if of paramount importance to the Government and people of Trinidad and Tobago. They are our flag bearers and we have a duty to ensure that they are treated with dignity, compassion and respect. It is in this light, that the Ministry extends the necessary support.” She further stated that “this national embarrassment could have been avoided, and must never be allowed to happen again.”

Minister Cudjoe reminded the TTFA of the importance of proper planning, management, and leadership in the execution of its affairs, and further encouraged the TTFA to comply with the Ministry’s guidelines regarding the timely submission of financials, proposals, calendars and other relevant documents.

The Ministry of Sport and Youth Affairs stands committed to supporting NGBs to ensure that the sporting industry is developed at the highest standard and maintains transparency, accountability and impartiality as core values of the Ministry.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #124 on: September 20, 2018, 01:52:07 AM »
Women football saga must never happen again.

Minister Cudjoe warns TTFA, players…

SHAMFA CUDJOE, Minister of Sport and Youth Affairs, has issued a warning to both the TT Football Association (TTFA) and the national women footballers that the recent scenario involving both parties must never happen again.

Two members of the national team, Lauryn Hutchinson and Arin King, took to social media last week to plead for support for the team, ahead of the CONCACAF Women’s Championship in the United States from October 4-17.

On Monday, the TTFA, in a media release, suggested team manager Jinelle James made a request to the Ministry for funds for an overseas camp, but James refuted that claim in a strongly-worded statement on Tuesday.

Cudjoe, via a media release on Tuesday evening, announced that the Ministry will provide a sum of $430,000, the full amount requested via a proposal submitted by the TTFA.

This financial assistance is intended to cover the costs of airfare, hotel accommodation, food and beverage, pre-training camp, medical and baggage fees, and other items, for the team and the technical support staff.

This disclosure came hours after Cudjoe met with members of the team, including captain Tasha St Louis, goalkeeper Kimika Forbes, midfielder Janine Francois, striker Mariah Shade, defenders Ayanna Russell and Patrice Superville, at the Ministry’s office on St Clair Avenue, Port of Spain.

The Sports Ministry’s media release noted, “(Cudjoe) was informed about the many challenges faced by the players, including the matter of outstanding retainer fees owed to the players by the TTFA.

In response, the TTFA has committed to pay retainers fees to the players before their departure (to the US) on September 25, 2018.”

The TTFA will be invited to sign a Service Level Agreement (SLA) to ensure funds are properly disbursed and utilised, the media release added.

According to Cudjoe, “The welfare of these players is of paramount importance to the Government and people of Trinidad and Tobago. They are our flag bearers and we have a duty to ensure that they are treated with dignity, compassion and respect. It is in this light, that the Ministry extends the necessary support.”

She continued, “This national embarrassment could have been avoided, and must never be allowed to happen again.”

Earlier on Tuesday, Cudjoe met with TTFA president David John-Williams, general secretary Justin Latapy-George and other TTFA members at the Ministry’s office to discuss the details of the proposal.

“Cudjoe reminded the TTFA of the importance of proper planning, management, and leadership in the execution of its affairs, and further encouraged the TTFA to comply with the Ministry’s guidelines regarding the timely submission of financials, proposals, calendars and other relevant documents,” the Ministry’s release pointed out.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 20, 2018, 09:59:51 AM »
The 2nd time in about a mothh the TTFA gets called out for the timely submission of paperwork. First by the US Embassy and now by the Ministry of Sport and Youth Affairs.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 20, 2018, 03:38:34 PM »
Give them bwah!, Shamfa, give them bwah!

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #127 on: September 21, 2018, 12:55:33 AM »
Cooper: US camp integral for women players.

THE PROPOSED pre-tournament camp will be essential for the national women football team, as they turn their attention towards the CONCACAF Women’s Championship, which will run from October 4-17 in the United States.

This according to Shawn Cooper, coach of the national women’s team, during a telephone interview yesterday.

On Monday, the TT Football Association (TTFA) announced that Cooper will take charge of the squad during the CONCACAF Championship, which will feature eight teams battling for three automatic places at the 2019 FIFA Women’s World Cup in France.

On Tuesday, Minister of Sport and Youth Affairs Shamfa Cudjoe held separate meetings with members of the TTFA and the women’s team, at her St Clair office.

She announced that the Ministry will provide a sum of $430,000, the full amount requested via a TTFA proposal, for the costs of the camp, airfare, hotel accommodation, food and beverage, medical and baggage fees and other items.

“The camp is necessary because the majority of players are outside,” said Cooper. “We need to get the players on the team playing together and, whatever tactical work we have to do, we need the majority of the squad to be doing it.

“The camp is very integral in terms of the progress of the team.”

The TT squad are expected to leave for the US on Tuesday.

Cooper also serves as coach of Presentation San Fernando in the Secondary Schools Football League (SSFL) and Queen’s Park in the TT Super League.

About his additional duties as TT women’s coach, Cooper said, “I just took over and I am trying to do the best that I could do at this point in time, with the cards being dealt.”

During the past week, defenders Lauryn Hutchinson and Arin King took to social media to plead for support for the team ahead of the CONCACAF Championship.

Asked how the players are coping since the Ministry’s decision to foot their bills for the US trip, Cooper replied, “You’ll have to get on to the players and speak with them because I have no idea what they are thinking.”

In Group A, TT will face Panama (October 4), Mexico (October 7) and hosts US (October 10) at the Sahlen’s Stadium in Cary, North Carolina.

Canada, Costa Rica, Cuba and Jamaica will feature in Group B.

Concerning the areas, within the team, that he thinks would require his urgent attention, Cooper said, “When we get to the camp, we will assess what we’ll have to deal with. It’s a tough task.

“As a coach, you’re always have stuff to do.”

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 26, 2018, 11:42:00 AM »
Trinidad and Tobago Women’s 20-player roster for the 2018 CONCACAF Women’s Championship.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #129 on: September 27, 2018, 12:48:51 AM »
Local-based players stuck at home.

20-member squad named for CONCACAF Women’s Championship but…

A 20-member national squad has been named for the CONCACAF Women’s Championship, which will be contested in the United States from October 4-17.

However, there is uncertainty over when the local-based players will head to the US for a pre-tournament camp in Richmond, Virginia, since the team management is still finalising the invoices to provide to the Ministry of Sport and Youth Affairs.

On September 18, the Minister of Sport and Youth Affairs Shamfa Cudjoe agreed to provide a sum of $430,000, the full amount requested via a proposal submitted by the TT Football Association (TTFA).

The funds, for the team’s visit to the US, will cover the costs of airfare, hotel accommodation, food and beverage, pre-training camp, medical and baggage fees, and other items, for the team and technical staff.

The team was due to leave today for the US but, manager Jinelle James said in an interview yesterday, “at this point, we don’t know when we’ll be leaving.”

Last Tuesday, James openly refuted a claim by the TTFA that she made “no approach” to its president David John-Williams or general secretary Justin Latapy-George for an overseas camp.

This time around, James said, “the major invoices like airfares, hotels, transport, medical supplies, those hard items have been provided but we suffered a setback in terms of the daily expenses while we’ll be there.

“If we are to get the lump sum of money, we have to be able to provide quotations for these costs, like water, gatorade, granola bars, the (regular) meals, those kinds of things,” she added. “I really don’t know when we’ll be going.”

The local-based players are currently training under recently-appointed coach Shawn Cooper while the North American-based players, including Lauryn Hutchinson, Liana Hinds and Jonelle Cato, are getting ready at Richmond.

Preparations for the team, ahead of the CONCACAF Championship, have been marred with controversy, as Hutchinson and Canada-born defender Arin King took to social media to plead for support for the team, while the selection of Cooper as team coach have drawn the ire of certain TTFA board members, including Keith Look Loy and Anthony Harford.

The CONCACAF Championship serves as the final round of qualifiers for the 2019 FIFA Women’s World Cup in France. TT, hosts US, Canada, Mexico, Costa Rica, Cuba, Panama and Jamaica are vying for three automatic World Cup spots.

Concerning the team chosen by the TT technical staff, striker Mariah Shade returns after an injury sustained at the CAC (Central American and Caribbean) Games in Barranquilla, Colombia. The experienced forward replaces teenager Aaliyah Prince from the squad that featured in the Caribbean Final Round in Jamaica a month ago.

US-born teenaged defender Shadi Stoute and midfielder Shenelle Henry have been included, at the expense of national Under-20 defender Natisha John and American-born midfielder Melissa Baynes.

Team
(clubs/schools in brackets) –

GOALKEEPERS:

Kimika Forbes (Santa Fe, United States), Saundra Baron (unattached).

DEFENDERS:

Arin King (unattached), Ayana Russell (Queen’s Park), Jenelle Cunningham (Real Dimension), Jonelle Cato (Trincity Nationals), Lauryn Hutchinson (unattached), Liana Hinds (unattached), Patrice Superville (Queen’s Park), Rhea Belgrave (Real Dimension), Shadi Stoute (University of Georgia, United States).

MIDFIELDERS:

Janine Francois (Real Dimension), Karyn Forbes (Real Dimension), Kayla Taylor (Petrotrin), Naomie Guerra (St Augustine FC), Shenelle Henry (unattached).

STRIKERS:

Kennya Cordner (Il Sandiviken, Norway), Mariah Shade (Petrotrin), Natasha St Louis (St Ann’s Rangers), Tasha St Louis (Real Dimension).

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #130 on: September 27, 2018, 12:49:48 AM »
Waldrum writes to TTFA: I can take over the women’s programme.
By Andrew Gioannetti (Guardian).

FORMER head coach of the TT senior national women’s team Randy Waldrum has written to the TT Football Association to express his interest in rejoining the team, saying he is “not too concerned with his financial package” if he is to be considered and that there are prerequisites that come with his offer.

“As the former women’s national team coach of Trinidad and Tobago, I have obviously followed the situation very closely since leaving there after the last World Cup qualifiers,” he wrote in an email directed to the TTFA hierarchy on Monday.

“I love your country and more importantly the players in the program, so I would certainly entertain the possibility of returning to coach the team again.”

Waldrum said he wants the assurance that he can take the programme, after the upcoming Concacaf Women’s Championship, through to the next World Cup qualification.

“As I said, there is little hope for this one, so I wouldn’t want to take the team now for the next month, only to fail in qualifications and then be done once again as the coach. Had we stayed on after the last World Cup with the plan and path forward for the next four years, the team would not be in this situation now.”

Among the other stipulations he said was adequate financial backing of the TTFA for the players to participate in year-round training and international friendly matches.

“I’m not so concerned about my personal financial compensation; however, I would expect a stipend while working for the team.

“I did this the last time on a volunteer basis, but feel that we should all be professionals with compensation for our time.”

He said, like with Jamaica’s women’s team, he wants the ability to raise funds for additional money needed for the programme.

“They (Jamaica) run the programme without interference from the federation, and I’d want the same.

“As for the timing, I’d look at this right away as you are in need immediately as I understand it, or it may make more sense to have someone local take the team through this qualification, and then bring me on board after that is over. That way we could implement our long-term programme for the team, without any distractions.”

He said someone with his commitment–one without political interference–has the ability to lead a team which “could be one that makes the country proud again.”

“We had the largest jump in the FIFA rankings of any nation in history while we were there the last cycle, and I know with hard work we can make this programme into a CONCACAF power. Some of the other Caribbean teams are already making these strides such as what we see with Haiti,” Waldrum wrote.

Waldrum, who is head coach of the University of Pittsburgh’s women’s team, led TT to the 2014 CFU Women’s Caribbean Cup hosted here. He and the TT women’s team were also minutes away from qualifying for the 2015 FIFA Women’s World Cup.

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 27, 2018, 10:59:50 AM »
Waldrum writes to TTFA: I can take over the women’s programme.
By Andrew Gioannetti (Guardian).

FORMER head coach of the TT senior national women’s team Randy Waldrum has written to the TT Football Association to express his interest in rejoining the team, saying he is “not too concerned with his financial package” if he is to be considered and that there are prerequisites that come with his offer.

“As the former women’s national team coach of Trinidad and Tobago, I have obviously followed the situation very closely since leaving there after the last World Cup qualifiers,” he wrote in an email directed to the TTFA hierarchy on Monday.

“I love your country and more importantly the players in the program, so I would certainly entertain the possibility of returning to coach the team again.”

This is the man to coach the Women's national team. He has been the most successful women's coach and has shown loyalty to the Warrior ladies when the TTFA did not deserve it. The President should swallow their pride and bring him back.
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 27, 2018, 11:06:54 AM »
Waldrum is really an amazing human being or he really cares about Our women's football programme. After DJW let him go after willingly working for FREE he's still asking them for the opportunity to serve as coach of the programme. I'd love for him to come back but not under this administration. Sounds like he has the right ideas and approach to keep women's football active.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 27, 2018, 12:19:28 PM »
If there is to be a conversation with RW, it should occur after the next TTFA elections.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 27, 2018, 04:02:09 PM »
Is it not too late. I think they are appointing Cooper.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: September 27, 2018, 10:03:53 PM »
Is it not too late. I think they are appointing Cooper.
He will like to come in after the tournament to start things from scratch since it is too late and will most likely be a disaster.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #136 on: September 28, 2018, 12:48:47 AM »
TTFA move to confirm Cooper.
By Keith Clement (Guardian).

It is ex­pect­ed that a num­ber of con­cerns which were raised by some mem­bers of the board of di­rec­tors of the T&T Foot­ball As­so­ci­a­tion (TTFA) will be ad­dressed to­day at a meet­ing called by its pres­i­dent David John-Williams at the Home of Foot­ball, Ato Boldon Sta­di­um in Cou­va at 4 pm to fa­cil­i­ates To­ba­go's rep­re­sen­ta­tive.

How­ev­er, while it was re­port­ed that some mem­bers head­ed by the pres­i­dent of the T&T Su­per League (TTSL) Kei­th Look Loy raised con­cerns about the le­gal­i­ty of the chair­man of the tech­ni­cal com­mit­tee Richard Quan Chan, who is al­so the South­ern Foot­ball As­so­ci­a­tion (SFA) rep­re­sen­ta­tive on the said board, the meet­ing agen­da does not re­flect such.

Look Loy who al­so claimed in pre­vi­ous me­dia re­ports that the forth­com­ing agen­da will al­so seek to call for the im­me­di­ate res­ig­na­tion of pres­i­dent John-Williams and vice pres­i­dent Ew­ing Davis, and the ap­point­ment and re­place­ments of the duo to­geth­er with call­ing for an elec­tion im­me­di­ate­ly, and to look in­to the TTFA fi­nances.

It was al­so sug­gest­ed that the TTFA gen­er­al sec­re­tary Justin Lat­apy-George should sev­er ties with the or­gan­i­sa­tion for his al­leged role with re­gards to the res­ig­na­tion of for­mer vice pres­i­dent Joanne Salazar on Sep­tem­ber 11.

How­ev­er, a re­view of the agen­da does not in­di­cate that pa­pers were cir­cu­lat­ed to call for the pres­i­dent and vice pres­i­dent's res­ig­na­tion, or that of the sport's gen­er­al sec­re­tary.

When con­tact­ed a source close to the board agreed to speak to Guardian Me­dia Sports on the con­di­tion of anonymi­ty and said, "When I got the meet­ing no­tice from the gen­er­al sec­re­tary I was shocked that the agen­da did not in­clude any sup­port­ing items fol­low­ing the threats I read in the print me­dia over the last few days. The fact is, there are 12 mem­bers on the board of which three have no vot­ing rights but they are al­lowed to par­tic­i­pate in the meet­ings. The min­utes of the board meet­ing on June 30, will show that six of nine mem­bers who can vote at­tend­ed and Mr Richard Quan Chan was legal­ly in­stalled as the chair­man of the tech­ni­cal com­mit­tee. I was present but Mr Look Loy was not."

The source con­tin­ued, "While an email was sent to the gen­er­al sec­re­tary on Sep­tem­ber 14 ask­ing for a meet­ing by Look Loy un­der ar­ti­cle 35.1 of the con­sti­tu­tion, and named the par­ties mak­ing the re­quest - Jabari Williams (NFA), Joseph Tay­lor (Ref­er­ees As­so­ci­a­tion), Ju­lia Bap­tiste (Pro League), Col­in Par­tap (Cen­tra FA), Sharon War­rick (Women's Foot­ball), and Look Loy, the re­quest had no lo­cus stan­di be­cause three of the in­di­vid­u­als who have been aligned to the re­quest do not have vot­ing rights and are not legal­ly mem­bers of the board un­til the gen­er­al coun­cil meet and gives its ap­proval of the in­di­vid­u­als.

"Again, the notes from the Au­gust 29 board meet­ing will re­flect what I have just told you. Fur­ther, the rea­son why the Au­gust 29 meet­ing failed to take place was be­cause, while sev­en per­sons were present on­ly four were le­gal, while you need­ed five to con­sti­tute a meet­ing.

"Those who at­tend­ed were Davis (VP), Tay­lor (TTFRA), War­rick (WoLF), Williams (NFA), Par­tap (Cen­tral FA), Bap­tiste (Pro League) and Look Loy (TTSL)."

In yes­ter­day's Guardian, Bap­tiste stat­ed in an ar­ti­cle head­lined - "I'm no rebel", that, "I was ap­point­ed by the board of the T&T Pro League to rep­re­sent the League at the TTFA board. How­ev­er, I have not been con­firmed by the gen­er­al mem­ber­ship which can on­ly be done at the gen­er­al meet­ing of the mem­ber­ship, and there­fore I have no vot­ing rights at present, based on the con­sti­tu­tion."

The source point­ed out that in the email of Sep­tem­ber 14 from Look Loy, three items were sub­mit­ted for dis­cus­sion - ap­point­ment of a tech­ni­cal staff to the women’s na­tion­al team; sta­tus of the men’s Un­der-17 and U-20 teams; and ref­er­ee­ing is­sues pre­vi­ous­ly tabled by TTFRA (T&T Foot­ball Ref­er­ees' As­so­ci­a­tion) - and de­spite the re­quest not be­ing legal­ly bind­ing, the pres­i­dent in­clud­ed them on the meet­ing's agen­da.

The source said that dur­ing dis­cus­sions af­ter the Au­gust 29 meet­ing failed to get a quo­rum, it was then recog­nised that three in­di­vid­u­als did not have vot­ing rights and Look Loy sug­gest­ed that the board called the an­nu­al gen­er­al meet­ing (AGM) in No­vem­ber or De­cem­ber so that the in­di­vid­u­als can be rat­i­fied. The source went on to point out that among the items that were list­ed on the agen­da for the Au­gust 29 meet­ing was the or­gan­i­sa­tion's fi­nan­cial ac­counts for 2017 and 2018.

The source said that with the ur­gency sur­round­ing this coun­try's par­tic­i­pa­tion at the up­com­ing Women’s CON­CA­CAF World Cup Qual­i­fy­ing Tour­na­ment which takes place in the USA from Oc­to­ber 4-17, it is ex­pect­ed that the mem­bers who vot­ed via email for the ap­point­ment Shawn Coop­er as coach will re­con­firm their po­si­tion. They were Davis, To­ba­go FA rep­re­sen­ta­tive An­tho­ny Moore, Quan Chan, East­ern FA rep­re­sen­ta­tive Wayne Cun­ning­ham and the pres­i­dent.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 28, 2018, 01:48:40 AM »
Waldrum should get de wok...

He is a boss coach.

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 28, 2018, 10:50:40 AM »

He is a boss coach.

Depends on yuh team doh
https://pittsburghpanthers.com/schedule.aspx?path=wsoc

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 28, 2018, 03:43:05 PM »

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 28, 2018, 04:13:32 PM »

He is a boss coach.

Depends on yuh team doh
https://pittsburghpanthers.com/schedule.aspx?path=wsoc

Diamond and coal.
:D to predators it's either food or rocks ...eat or walk over

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #141 on: September 29, 2018, 12:56:08 AM »
Women's team eyes Saturday departure.
By Walter Alibey (Guardian).

In spite of on­go­ing con­cerns with the T&T Foot­ball As­so­ci­a­tion, the coun­try's Women's foot­ball team will com­mence its de­par­ture to­day for the Con­ca­caf Women's Cham­pi­onship in the Unit­ed States which is a qual­i­fi­er for the FI­FA Women's World Cup in France next year.

Guardian Me­dia Sports was in­formed that the team's man­age­ment was on­ly await­ing the trav­el­ling doc­u­ments for three play­ers to con­firm their trav­el­ling arrange­ments. It is un­sure what has been the de­lay, and who the play­ers are, but one re­li­able mem­ber of the team said they are pin­ning their hopes that all mat­ters were sort­ed yes­ter­day.

It was al­so learnt that the em­bat­tled foot­ball as­so­ci­a­tion, be­ing head­ed by David John-Williams, has agreed to bring an end to all con­cerns the play­ers had re­gard­ing fi­nances, by next week.

A 20-woman team has al­ready been cho­sen by coach Shawn Coop­er ahead of the tour­na­ment and it ex­cludes in­stru­men­tal play­ers Maylee At­tin-John­son, winger Ah­keela Mol­lon and util­i­ty play­er Khadisha Debe­sette, as well as ris­ing tal­ent Shanelle Ar­joon, among oth­ers. Ar­joon was a stand­out for the coun­try's Un­der-20 team at the CON­CA­CAF Qual­i­fiers and the se­nior women's team at the Caribbean Foot­ball Union (CFU) Chal­lenge Se­ries ear­li­er this year.

An of­fi­cial of the team said the women, in spite of the chal­lenges, have turned up for train­ing, av­er­ag­ing at 10 play­ers for each ses­sion.

Ac­cord­ing to the of­fi­cial, "The mood in the camp is not the best giv­en the cir­cum­stances but the ladies have been work­ing very hard. And un­der Coop­er, the ladies have adapt­ed very quick­ly, as they un­der­stand the sit­u­a­tions."

The T&T team has been grouped with gi­ants the USA, open­ing their ac­count against Pana­ma on Oc­to­ber 4, be­fore meet­ing Mex­i­co on Oc­to­ber 7. They will then com­plete their group phase against the might of the US women three days lat­er for the rights to be among the top two teams to ad­vance.

The team has strug­gled to have a prop­er core of play­ers in train­ing lo­cal­ly, as most of the play­ers are based in the USA, ei­ther as stu­dents or res­i­dents.

T&T TEAM

Goal­keep­ers: Kimi­ka Forbes, Saun­dra Baron;

De­fend­ers: Arin King, Rhea Bel­grave, Ayana Rus­sell, Jenelle Cun­ning­ham, Jonelle Cato, Lau­ryn Hutchin­son, Patrice Su­perville, Sha­di Stoute;

Mid­field­ers: Ja­nine Fran­cois, Karyn Forbes, Liana Hinds, Naomie Guer­ra, Natasha St Louis, Tasha St Louis, Shenelle Hen­ry;

For­wards: Kay­la Tay­lor, Ken­nya Cord­ner, Mari­ah Shade.

Women’s team to depart for US tomorrow.
T&T Newsday Reports.

TTFA gets cheque from Sports Ministry:

MEMBERS of T&T’s senior women’s national team, who have not yet departed for the US for the Concacaf Women’s Championships, will leave tomorrow, by the earliest, after the Ministry of Sport yesterday presented the TT Football Association with the requested sum of $429,626 for assistance to the team.

Jinelle James, who was instrumental in involving the ministry, as well as Wayne Cunningham, a board member of the TTFA, represented the association at the Ministry of Sport & Youth Affairs’ head office in St Clair, where the cheque was presented to them.

According to a press release issued by the ministry yesterday, “the Ministry, through the Sport Company of T&T, decided to provide the total sum requested to assist the women’s football team in their participation at the World Cup Qualifiers in North Carolina, USA.

The release noted the failure by the TTFA to pay all outstanding retainer fees owed to members of the women’s team by the promised date.

“Notwithstanding the commitment made by TTFA to pay outstanding retainer fees to the players before their departure, the TTFA has informed the Ministry of Sport and Youth Affairs that at this time, the female players are still owed retainer fees for the month of August and the TTFA is currently liaising with the Concacaf to provide all outstanding payments to the players. TTFA anticipates that payment will be issued to all relevant players within the next two weeks.”

In the release, Minister Shamfa Cudjoe reminded the TTFA officials of the importance of the players’ welfare.

A source close to the team confirmed that the money was received and the arrangements are being made to have the team leave for the US tomorrow.

“(But) there are issues with that. The initial budget they had, which they used to receive money from the Ministry, included tickets at one price but the tickets have gone up significantly instead, which challenges the budget.”

“They are hoping to leave on Sunday. The thinking is, if they get a cheaper flight on Monday, because of the budgetary constraints, they will take that.”

There is also an issue with the team securing US currency, which is necessary for miscellaneous expenses and emergency funds. The source said the issues are being addressed.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 12:59:35 AM by Flex »

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #142 on: October 03, 2018, 12:57:25 AM »
Soca Princesses focus on Panama.
By Walter Alibey (Guardian).

T&T's se­nior women's foot­ball team will be joined by three play­ers in the likes of-of cen­tral de­fend­er Rhea Bel­grave, strik­er Kay­la Tay­lor and de­fen­sive mid­field­er Ayana Rus­sell in a day or so, as the team fine tunes its prepa­ra­tions for its open­ing match of the CON­CA­CAF Women's Cham­pi­onships against Pana­ma to­mor­row at the Sahlen's Sta­di­um in Car­ry in Unit­ed States.

The trio is still await­ing their trav­el­ling doc­u­ments. Since the team's ar­rival in the USA on Mon­day morn­ing, it had two train­ing ses­sions that con­sist­ed 15 play­ers each, in­clud­ing yes­ter­day.

The women have en­dured a moun­tain of chal­lenges that in­clud­ed lengthy bat­tles for monies owed to them for salaries, as well as the un­cer­tain­ty of which play­ers would be avail­able for the Cham­pi­onship. Tech­ni­cal Di­rec­tor An­ton Corneal, who is with the team said the girls have placed all these chal­lenges be­hind them and are now fo­cused on the task at hand.

The So­ca War­riors have been drawn in Group A with gi­ants USA, Mex­i­co and the Pana­ma­ni­ans, whom they will face in their open­ing game. Their next match will be against Mex­i­co on Oc­to­ber 7 at the same venue, be­fore a date with the might of the USA on Oc­to­ber 10. Af­ter round-robin play in Cary, NC and Ed­in­burg, TX, the two group win­ners, plus the two sec­ond-place fin­ish­ers will ad­vance to the knock­out round.

The semi­fi­nals, third place match and fi­nal will take place at the Toy­ota Sta­di­um, in Frisco, TX.

The So­ca Princess­es played their Pana­man­ian coun­ter­parts in two in­ter­na­tion­al friend­ly match­es ear­li­er this year, los­ing one and draw­ing the oth­er 1-1. How­ev­er, Corneal is ea­ger to add re­in­force­ment to the team's vul­ner­a­ble ar­eas when the two teams meet again, this time it's for a place in the FI­FA World Cup fi­nals in France next year.

"The spir­it in the camp has been good. There is the un­der­stand­ing that in spite of the chal­lenges faced, and what they con­tin­ue to face, that they have to put all this all aside for the qual­i­fiers. And to be hon­est the women have been through this be­fore, so they are strangers to this sit­u­a­tion," Corneal ex­plained yes­ter­day.

Guardian Me­dia Sports un­der­stands that in ad­di­tion to an al­ready chal­leng­ing sit­u­a­tion, the women foot­ballers are now deal­ing with the death of a play­er's close rel­a­tive.

QUAL­I­FY­ING MATCH­ES

Thu, 4 Oct- T&T v Pana­ma- Sahlen's Sta­di­um, Cary

Sun, 7 Oct- Mex­i­co v T&T- Sahlen's Sta­di­um, Cary

Wed, 10 Oct- T&T v Unit­ed- Sahlen's Sta­di­um, Cary

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
T&T Women start CONCACAF final round versus Panama
« Reply #143 on: October 03, 2018, 06:53:48 PM »
T&T Women start CONCACAF final round versus Panama
TTFA Media

Trinidad and Tobago’s Senior Women will start their final round CONCACAF Women’s Championship campaign against Panama with a Group A match at Sahlen’s Stadium at WakeMed Soccer Park at 5 p.m. on Thursday.

The T&T team will be boosted by the arrival of three players  ahead of the match on Thursday from Port of Spain in prolific goalscorer Kayla Taylor and experienced duo Rhea Belgrave and Ayana Russell. All three players obtained their US visas on Wednesday and departed for North Carolina on Wednesday night with team manager Jinelle James.

“All three players received their US visas today and we’re pleased to say they will be on the flight tonight and will arrive at the team camp early on Thursday,” James told TTFA Media. The rest of the squad trained on Tuesday and was expected to have a session at the match venue on Wednesday evening.

T&T, which is coached by Shawn Cooper and captained by midfielder Tasha St Louis, is the only Caribbean team to participate in every CONCACAF Women’s Championship and finished second to Jamaica in the 2018 final Caribbean qualifying round.

Taylor was the top scorer in the 2018 Caribbean qualifiers for the CWC (7 goals). She scored in each game in the Final Round of the Caribbean Zone (hat-trick vs. Cuba, brace vs. Antigua and Barbuda, and a goal vs. Mexico and Bermuda). T&T’s other prolific goalscorer Kennya Cordner was this oc**try’s top scorer in the 2014 CONCACAF Women’s USA Championship; scoring three goals (one vs. Haiti and Guatemala in the Group A Group Stage and another goal vs. Mexico in extratime defeat on 10/26/14, for the 3rd place). She scored the last two goals against Bermuda in the Final Round of the Caribbean Zone (she finished with three goals).

Panama, coached by former Panamanian international Amarelis De Merahe,finished second behind Costa Rica in Central American qualifying. They booked their spot in the final eight, overcoming a 2-1 deficit to register a 6-2 victory over El Salvador as Kenia Rangel connected for a second-half hat-trick. Karla Riley also scored three qualifying goals.

In the only meeting between the two countries at the 2002 CONCACAF Championship, Panama finished 4-2 winners with current captain Tasha St Louis being one of the scorers alongside Maylee Attin-Johnson. Both teams also played two friendlies in Couva in March with Panama winning the first encounter 2-1 and the second match finishing 1-1.

Jamaica Odette Hamilton will be the match referee with fellow Jamaicans Princess Brown and Stephanie Yee Sing serving as the assistants.

The United States and Mexico meet in the second game of the doubleheader.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 04, 2018, 11:49:33 AM »
After all the goodwill meeting with the US embassy, 3 players received their visas yesterday and got in early this morning for a WCQ game today. Those players won't be 100% for our must win game.
Anyway goodluck ladies, I wish you all the best this evening!

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 04, 2018, 03:25:38 PM »
No link?

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 04, 2018, 03:48:21 PM »
With 42' on the clock we are losing 1-0. Goal conceded at 11'.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 04, 2018, 03:52:35 PM »
Are you seeing the game?

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 04, 2018, 04:39:06 PM »
Are you seeing the game?

Yeah. It is/was there for the taking. Panama is not a special team.

2-0 with 77:29 on the clock.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 04, 2018, 05:39:37 PM »
2-0 final?

1]; } ?>