March 28, 2024, 11:45:00 PM

Author Topic: Can anybody remember  (Read 1506 times)

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Can anybody remember
« on: May 08, 2018, 07:30:38 AM »
Don't mean to bring up a bad time here but ,
Can anyone remember meeting anyone in Trinidad n Tobago who recalls having decesdants who was slaves ,
Was thinking I never met anyone who remembers having family who where ever slaves !
Let me know ,will explain more tonite .

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Can anybody remember
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 08:55:26 PM »
That's what I figured ...nothing.
500 years of slavery and zero oral tradition !You would think illiterate slaves would  have oral tradition ,but we have nothing .
All we have is what was thought to us in school .
Something does not add up .

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 10:04:23 PM »
That's what I figured ...nothing.
500 years of slavery and zero oral tradition !You would think illiterate slaves would  have oral tradition ,but we have nothing .
All we have is what was thought to us in school .
Something does not add up .

From what I was taught. The Spanish did have slaves but There were no huge plantations in TT during their time. TT was not that important as a producer for them. Cuba, DR,PR, Central and SA was producing for them. When Chacon became governor he invited the French. The French, from Martinique, Gadeloupe, Dominica, greneda, Vincy came in droves with their servants and slaves.But when the Brits captured TT in 1797, that is when the big estates got going. slaves were imported. Also the Britts brought former US slaves who have fought for them. 5th company, 6th company towns were formed by them.  But the abolition movement was strong and by 1838 slavery ended in TT. JA and  the islands north of TT had full fledge slavery for over a 150 years more than TT. JA had over 300,000 slaves at the end of slavery, while TT had about 20 thousand, 1/3 of them from the French island.  So that is what I learned. My roots is really from Petit Martinique, Grenada, Carriacou and St. lucia. So Quags, what point are you trying to make with your historical inquiry.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2018, 06:58:05 AM »

The peak of slavery in Trinidad and Tobago only existed for about fifty to sixty years (1780s - 1838). Prior to that, there were few slaves on the islands.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

1]; } ?>