March 19, 2024, 12:23:54 AM

Author Topic: 2018 SSFL & Inter-Col Thread.  (Read 25430 times)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 2018 SSFL & Inter-Col Thread.
« Reply #150 on: November 29, 2018, 09:21:36 AM »
👍

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #151 on: November 30, 2018, 05:34:41 AM »
Boyce, Chase blast San Juan into Inter-Col final.
By Nigel Simon (Guardian).

Isa­iah Chase and cap­tain Ronal­do Boyce scored two goals each to fire San Juan North Sec­ondary past Sig­nal Hill Sec­ondary, 5-0, in their Na­tion­al Sec­ondary Schools Foot­ball League Co­ca-Co­la In­ter-Col semi­fi­nal at Lar­ry Gomes Sta­di­um in Mal­abar, Ari­ma, Thurs­day.

With the win, San Juan North, two-time Na­tion­al In­ter-Col cham­pi­ons in 2006 and 2016, booked a spot in Tues­day’s fi­nal against the win­ner of Fri­day’s oth­er semi­fi­nal, a mouth-wa­ter­ing match be­tween Na­pari­ma Col­lege and St An­tho­ny’s Col­lege, who have a com­bined 23 na­tion­al crowns be­tween them, at Man­ny Ramjohn Sta­di­um, Mara­bel­la from 3.30 pm.

At Cou­va on Tues­day, North Zone cham­pi­on, St An­tho­ny’s led by a brace from cap­tain Haile Beck­les brushed aside Cen­tral Zone kings, Cara­pichaima East Sec­ondary 4-1 while Na­pari­ma, al­so this year’s Pre­mier Di­vi­sion win­ners got the bet­ter of South Zone ri­vals Pre­sen­ta­tion Col­lege of San Fer­nan­do 4-3 on sud­den-death penal­ty-kicks af­ter a 0-0 full-time score at Mara­bel­la on Mon­day. Yes­ter­day at Mal­abar.

San Juan North held a com­fort­able 2-0 ad­van­tage af­ter strikes from Chase in the 26th minute and four min­utes lat­er through Dar­i­on Warn­er. The burly Boyce then banged in a sec­ond-half dou­ble with Chase al­so net­ted an­oth­er to com­plete the one-sided con­test

Fri­day though, a much clos­er con­test is ex­pect­ed with both teams boast­ing a few stand­out play­ers. For Na­pari­ma coach, na­tion­al Un­der-20 mid­field­er Mark Ramdeen, Seon Ship­p­ley, Isa Bram­ble, Jeron Pan­tor and goal­keep­er Levi Fer­nan­dez are all ex­pect­ed to start while for the “West­moor­ings Tigers” Beck­les, Jesse Williams, Kiron Man­swell, Ian Cowie, Zion Williams and Jah­mia George are al­so due to start.

(Teams)

San Juan North Secondary (4-2-1-3): 1.Emmanuel John (GK); 19.Adrian Duncan (13.Christon Mitchell 62), 4.Elisha Garcia, 22.Kyle Thomas, 17.Kareem John; 14.Darion Warner (24.Emika Joseph 75), 18.Malik Farrier (16.Obadele Dickson 26); 3.Elair Brewster; 2.Tyrell Cameron, 9.Renaldo Boyce (captain), 11.Isaiah Chase.

Unused substitutes: 30.Emmanuel Clarke (GK), 6.Jordan Britto, 7.Josiah Phillip, 10.Jerry Morris, 12.Kendo Matthias, 21.Pharez Sutherland.

Coach: Jerry Moe

Signal Hill Secondary (5-3-2): 1.Duvaughn Daniel (GK) (captain); 3.Tyrel Laptiste (2.Ronaldo Gift 46), 12.Deandre Ramsey, 9.Shaquille Carrington, 15.Derwin Jack (5.Kurdel George 71), 6.Jamal Small; 8.Jalanie James, 19.Christian Jordan, 11.Quincy Winchester; 14.Nicholas Alfred, 10.Collin Sergeant (18.Dareem Adams 80).

Unused substitutes: 23.Kareem Warner (GK), 4.Dexter Coussou, 13.Geoffrey Percy, 16.Javier King, 17.Kyle Jack.

Coach: Sherwin Jordan

National Intercol semifinal

(Thursday 29 November)

Boys

San Juan North 5 (Isaiah Chase 21, 65, Darion Warner 30, Renaldo Boyce 77, 89), Signal Hill Secondary 0 at Larry Gomes Stadium, Malabar.

Girls

Signal Hill Secondary 4, Tranquility Secondary 0 at Larry Gomes Stadium, Malabar.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #152 on: November 30, 2018, 05:36:18 AM »
Support needed for at-risk footballers.
By Joel Bailey (Newsday).

Eve, Fakoory, Wallace saddened by Gomez’s killing…

ANGUS EVE, ex-national football captain and Under-23 coach, yesterday stressed more could be done to help future TT prospects from falling victims to gun violence.

Eve was speaking after the death of former footballer Marcus Gomez, who was killed after a drive-by shooting near his home at Building 20 in Maloney Gardens on Wednesday evening.

The 24-year-old Gomez, nicknamed “Risky”, was liming with friends when a car approached the group and the occupants fired shots.

Three people were wounded in the attack but Gomez died at the scene.

The former attacking midfielder grew up through the youth ranks at Joe Public, before spending time with North East Stars (2012-2014) and San Juan Jabloteh (2014-2015).

Gomez garnered tremendous attention while playing with Arima North Secondary in the Secondary Schools Football League (SSFL) during the 2011 and 2012 seasons.

He was a member of the national Under-20 team in 2012, under the guidance of coach Ross Russell.

Eve, who was Gomez’s coach at North East Stars, recalled “the level of ability that the young man had.”

Eve said, “Him, Jesus Perez, Neil Mitchell and Neveal Hackshaw, I would have gotten them directly from Arima when I saw them play and I brought (them) into the North East set-up.

“He was a tremendous player and it’s unfortunate that his life had to be snuffed out so young,” Eve lamented.

Eve, the current coach of both Pro League outfit Club Sando and Secondary Schools Football League (SSFL) Premier Division winners Naparima, acknowledged, “Sometimes the environment gets the better of us. I’m somebody who came from Carenage. I had a strong family influence and I wanted more for myself.

“Sometimes we get caught up in the environment that we’re living in, and it’s unfortunate he fell in that mould where he was in a particular community and got caught up. You really need strong role models.”

Eve said he rued not coaching Gomez for a longer period.

“I really would have liked to have him a bit longer. He moved on. I don’t think he should of at that time, but he just (wanted) a dollar more. I don’t think the people he went with (were) guiding him in the same way,” he said.

Eve added, “I want to send out the deepest condolences (from) my football family to Marcus’ family.”

Richard Fakoory, interim chairman of the Pro League, and SSFL president William Wallace, also spoke on Gomez’s passing.

Fakoory, who is also the owner of Pro League club St Ann’s Rangers, commented, “On behalf of the Board and the Pro League fraternity, condolences to his family. Every death, no matter what situation, is sad.”

“I would like to extend condolences on behalf of the SSFL,” said Wallace. “It’s unfortunate when things like this happen.”

Both Fakoory and Wallace bemoaned the lack of overall support systems for footballers, particularly those making the transition from the schools league to the professional and/or semi-professional ranks.

Fakoory noted, “Each club should be able to watch over their (youth players). It all comes down to resources – money. If you have somebody who can go into the schools, talk to the deans and the deans can share with us who are the delinquents, and we can sit down and talk to the kids....”

Fakoory continued, “There is life after football. These kids sometimes don’t understand that. We should be able to talk to the parents as well. We’re guilty just as well.”

Wallace said, “One of our main goals in the SSFL is to make sure that things like this don’t happen. We give our players an opportunity through football.”

He added, “It also speaks to the support systems. After you leave school, what happens after that? I think that is the support system that is lacking. Our youths get lost after they walk through those gates. Sometimes they still need somebody to walk with them.”

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 30, 2018, 03:42:58 PM »
QRC capture Fruta Form 1 football crown

“We have won Under-19s North Zone and Nationals,” David continued. “We have won Under-16s. Hats off to the QRC programme, to Mr (David) Simon, the principal of QRC who has been there for us over the years. I think we deserve it.”

QRC sounding like they have something in the making

You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #154 on: December 01, 2018, 01:32:50 AM »
Naps a step closer to ‘perfect’ season.
By Nickolai Madray (Newsday).

Southern champs edge St Anthony’s 2-0 in Intercol semis

NAPARIMA College continue their quest for their third title for the season after they got past a resilient opponent in St Anthony’s College by a 2-0 margin, yesterday at the Manny Ramjohn Stadium, Marabella, in the semi final of the National Intercol. The result means that Naps will feature in the National Intercol final, on Tuesday, against San Juan North, for a chance to claim the prestigious treble and clean sweep the boys secondary schools football titles.

Naps took an early lead in the 12th minute of the match when Decklan Marcelle scored a stunning goal after Mark Ramdeen found the attacker on the edge of the 18-yard box. The striker only took one touch to control the ball before he riffled his effort past St Anthony’s goalkeeper, Josiah Perez.

Naparima should have added to their tally in the 22nd minute when the head of Marcelle was picked out superbly inside the penalty area by full-back, Jeron Pantor, but the attacker sent his header over the target. The 2018 league leaders controlled the tempo of the game for the majority of the first half and it almost paid dividends in the 35th when Shoaib Khan latched onto a loose ball, from a similar position where the first goal was scored, but the attempt whistled past the upright.

The score remained 1-0 in favour of the southern champions at the half. After the break, Ramdeen skied his effort over the bar from inside the 18-yard box when he worked his way well into the penalty area in the 51st minute. With both sides waiting to pounce on any errors made by their opponents, the game remained calm for the majority of the second period.

St Anthony’s Khiesa Granger attempted to bring the scores level in the 70th minute with a long distance shot. His effort, however, went sailing over the crossbar. Five minutes later, Naps thought they had a clear breakthrough on goal but they were only to be stopped by the offside flag, leaving it all to be played for in the final minutes of the game.

St Anthony’s had another opportunity to pull one back before the end of the match via a freekick at the edge of the 18-yard box. It was the closest the northern champions came to levelling the score but the attempt sizzled past Levi Fernandez’ post.

Naps sealed the result in the 88th minute when Isa Bramble scored their second item of the day after he was released into a clear one on one opportunity against Perez where he made no mistake to slot the ball into the back of the net.

Speaking after the game, Naparima’s Mark Ramdeen said, “We have to head back to the training field and sharpen up a little bit before the final match because we played slow and scrappy at some points today. We need to play quicker and increase the tempo to threaten our opponents at the right times.” He continued, “Seeing that we rallied through and won our last two games, we are heading into the finals with confidence and we will be fired up to complete a perfect season.”

Final Result:

Naparima College 2 (Decklan Marcelle 12’, Isa Bramble 88’) vs St. Anthony’s College 0

(Teams)

Naparima College (4-2-3-1): Levi Fernandez (GK) (captain); 5.Daquon Foster, 4.Tyrike Andrews, 13.Jeron Pantor, 8.Kodel Frontin; 6.Shoaib Khan (15.Marvin Waldrop), 17.Nathaniel Perouse; 19. Isa Bramble, 7.Mark Ramdeen (9.Ezekiel Kesar), 10.Declan Marcelle; 20.Seon Shippley (18.Caleb Gaspar).

Unused Substitutes: 14.Molik Khan, 16.Akil Johnson, 24.Jabari Lee, 30.Enrique Changiah.

Coach: Angus Eve

St Anthony’s College (4-3-3): Josiah Perez (GK); 18.Shakir Clapham, 5.Jesse Williams, 16.Jordan Barclay, 6.Khiesa Grainger; 26.Timothy Brandel, 13.Quinn Frederick (8.Romario Burke), 15.Jahmai George (14.Jahi Solomon); 9.Zion Williams, 11.Haile Beckles (captain), 2.Kiron Manswell (10.Josiah Edwards).

Unused Substitutes: 7.Kaihim Thomas, 12.Mikhail Prescod, 22.Darnell Pollard, 27.Shurland Augustine.

Coach: Ronald Daniel

« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 01:37:55 AM by Flex »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 01, 2018, 07:41:34 AM »

“We have won Under-19s North Zone and Nationals,” David continued. “We have won Under-16s. Hats off to the QRC programme, to Mr (David) Simon, the principal of QRC who has been there for us over the years. I think we deserve it.”

I hope so. If my recollection is accurate, QRC has not won national intercol since 1966. When I entered in 68 they won the national league championship. I think they may have won once after that. Not too sure. So it is time when do something.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 09:15:24 PM by Deeks »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 04, 2018, 07:54:02 PM »
WATCH: Pleasantville Secondary Girls won their fourth trophy of the year when they emerged 3-0 victors over Signal Hill Secondary in the 2018 National Girls Intercol Final.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/H9AKR4hY0ic" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/H9AKR4hY0ic</a>
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #157 on: December 05, 2018, 01:47:48 AM »
Pleasantville Secondary lifts Girls Intercol crown.
By Walter Alibey (Guardian).

Alex­cia Ali's name will ring long and loud in the Pleas­antville com­mu­ni­ty in the com­ing days, af­ter her hat-trick guid­ed Pleas­antville Sec­ondary School to its first Sec­ondary Schools Foot­ball League (SS­FL) Co­ca-Co­la Na­tion­al In­ter­col ti­tle, beat­ing Sig­nal Hill Sec­ondary 3-0 in the fi­nal at the Ato Boldon Sta­di­um in Cou­va, yes­ter­day.

Af­ter a de­mor­al­is­ing ex­pe­ri­ence in the fi­nal last year in which the school was beat­en 8-0 by Bish­ops, the south­ern­ers looked like a re­newed team and threat­ened from the first whis­tle. Sig­nal Hill's bat­tling ef­fort was ham­pered on­ly by their in­abil­i­ty to con­vert the chances that came its way.

Af­ter a goal­less first half, Ali, who was a thorn for the de­fend­ers ear­li­er, pro­duced light­ing quick speed to pounce on to a left-side cross by Chris­sy Mitchell in the 46th minute, and with both de­fend­ers and goal­keep­er Aaliyah Al­varez was beat­en, Ali then fired the ball in­to an emp­ty net for the lead.

Lat­er, Ali made it 2-0 from a long ball that de­fend­er Je­lese Alexan­der strug­gled to clear and Ali skil­ful­ly lobbed the ball over the ad­vanc­ing goalie for the sec­ond goal.

The vis­i­tors did not give up though but at­tacks from cap­tain Ashante Camp­bell, Twin­kle Thomas and Gamelia Wal­dron were thwart­ed by a stur­dy Pleas­antville de­fence.

But their ef­forts were killed when Ali was re­leased down the right side and her pow­er­ful low shot squeezed in al­though Al­varez got her hands to it.

At the blast of the fi­nal whis­tle, Pleas­antville's fans and sup­port­ers erupt­ed in­to wild cel­e­bra­tions to ac­knowl­edge the ef­forts of the girls who had been on­ly on their sec­ond fi­nal in the In­ter­col.

How­ev­er, it was Pleas­antville's third ti­tle of the sea­son, first be­ing crowned the South Zone cham­pi­on af­ter play­ing un­beat­en in the six-team com­pe­ti­tion then co­in­ci­den­tal­ly topped Sig­nal Hill in the Big Five fi­nal, 2-0 with Ali and Mitchell scor­ing that af­fair.

RELATED NEWS

Ali’s triple seals Pleasantville’s first Intercol Crown.
By Niickolai Madray (Newsday).

ALEXCIA Ali scored a sizzling second half hat-trick over Signal Hill to seal the Shell/First Citizens Bank sponsored Girls Intercol title for Pleasantville Secondary, yesterday, at the Ato Boldon Stadium, Couva. In the first match of the double header, Ali announced herself on the highest stage of school football by putting on an MVP performance and left the the field to a standing ovation from the spectators.

After a stalemate first half, which ended 0-0, with both sides feeling out their opponents, Ali came out the dressing room determined to leave with the title. Scoring her first goal in the 46th minute, she got on the end of a cross delivered from the left flank by Kayla Maillard and the striker made no mistake in finding the back of the net. Ali added her second item of the game in the 58th minute when she took control of the ball between two defenders before neatly lobbing the goalkeeper. She then completed her hat-trick and secured the victory for P’ville in the 72nd minute by unleashing a powerful shot which stung the hands of Signal Hill’s goal-keeper, Aalyiah Alavrez, before the ball reached into the back of the net. Signal Hill got their opportunities late in the game but Pleasantville showed their resistant defending once more as they rounded off the season by only conceding in one game.

Speaking after the game, the midfielder said, “Usually, when we face tough opponents, the coach uses my speed to penetrate their defence. It is an amazing achievement for the entire team to win this title for our school and community for the first time.” She continued, “It was an honour to score these goals and I hope this encourages other young girls to enjoy the beautiful game.” Pleasantville’s head coach, Joel Maloney, elaborated on the tactical switch he made during the half by detailing, “The team went out there and executed everything to perfection. We found it difficult to unlock Signal Hill in the first half so we made changes in the dressing room to counter what was happening on the field and it worked in our favour. Ali’s hat-trick was the icing on the cake.”

(Teams)

Pleasantville Secondary (4-2-3-1): 1.Akyla Walcott (GK); 14.Curissa Joseph, 7.Latifha Pascall (C), 18.Jhaney Simon, 6.Shawnelle Rose; 4.Shackeme Buntin, 8.Jasandra Joseph; 11.Chrissy Mitchell, 9.Alexcia Ali (16.Celine Hypolite), 5.Corysa Joseph (12.Kayla Garcia); 10.Aaliyah Pascall (19.Kimberley Stewart).

Unused Substitutes: 22.Jerica Brereton (GK), 2.Dalisha Brawthwaite, 15.Ariel Stoute, 13.Amelia Thomas.

Coach: Joel Maloney

Signal Hill Secondary (4-4-1-1); 1.Aaliyah Alvarez (GK); 12.J’nae Harris, 5.Derisha Bristol, 13.Tyra Myers, 4.Jelese Alexander; 18.Twinkle Thomas, 8.Salatina Searles, 10.Gamelia Waldron, 15.Dilleasia Nicholson; 11.Celine Loraine; 17.Ashante Campbell.

Unused Substitutes: 3.Makaila Joseph, 14.Gamie Waldron, 19.Ariel Adams, 20.Kristiana Gibbs.

Coach: Ray Mitchell

« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 01:41:13 AM by Flex »

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #158 on: December 05, 2018, 01:56:06 AM »
Naps stuns San Juan for Intercol title.
T&T Guardian Reports.

Na­pari­ma Col­lege is the 2018 Co­ca-Co­la Na­tion­al In­ter­col cham­pi­ons af­ter the team de­feat­ed San Juan North Sec­ondary School 4-3 from the penal­ty spot in an ex­cit­ing fi­nal at the Ato Boldon Sta­di­um in Cou­va yes­ter­day.

Watched by a large crowd that in­clud­ed the Com­mis­sion­er of Po­lice Gary Grif­fith, who met the play­ers be­fore kick-off, the south­ern­ers added the pres­ti­gious sil­ver­ware to the Sec­ondary School Foot­ball League (SS­FL) Pre­mier Di­vi­sion and South In­ter­col ti­tles, for an im­pres­sive triple crown this sea­son.

Af­ter a goal­less 90 min­utes of foot­ball, Na­pari­ma goal­keep­er Levi Fer­nan­dez held on to Jer­ry Mor­ris' ef­fort from the spot for his team­mate Tyrike An­drews to equalise at 3-3 and send the game in­to sud­den-death penal­ty kicks.

In the first shootout, San Juan's Ak­il John­son missed when his shot re­bound­ed off the up­right. Then with a per­fect sea­son on the line, Seon Ship­ley made no mis­take with his at­tempt from the spot which sends the crowd in­to wild cel­e­bra­tions as the ball hit the net at the back of the goal.

In the ear­ly ac­tion of the match-up, San Juan mount­ed a se­ries of ear­ly at­tacks that had Na­pari­ma on the de­fence in the first half as both teams were play­ing at that venue for the first time this sea­son but San Juan was play­ing like it was their home ground.

San Juan thought they might have scored when Elair Brew­ster's well-float­ed ball from a left side free-kick found the head of Re­nal­do Boyce, but it can­noned off the cross­bar and in­to safe­ty.

Na­pari­ma came to life in the lat­ter part of the first half and from a Deck­lan Mar­celle's cross from the left, they got their first chance at goal. How­ev­er, Isa Bram­ble con­nect­ing head­er did not trou­ble keep­er Em­manuel John in the 32nd minute. With ho­n­ours even af­ter that at­tempt on the San Juan goal, the teams went in­to the dress­ing room even­ly matched as the half-time score­line stayed goal­less.

Af­ter­wards, both teams can­celled each oth­er out in the ear­ly part of the ses­sion un­til San Juan's Brew­ster got a rare chance from a ball that was loft­ed in­side the penal­ty area. How­ev­er, his weak at­tempt was quick­ly se­cured by Na­pari­ma goal­keep­er Levi Fer­nan­dez.

The south­ern­ers re­ceived re­newed en­er­gy when Mark Ramdeen turned and twist­ed his mark­er on the left flank be­fore his thun­der­ous dri­ve can­noned off the cross­bar and safe­ty be­hind the goal line. As play con­tin­ued with both teams seek­ing ti­tle ho­n­ours and brag­ging rights, both sides could not be sep­a­rat­ed, and they had to set­tle the af­fair from the penal­ty spot.

Teams

Naparima College (4-2-3-1): Levi Fernandez (GK) (C); 5.Daquon Foster, 4.Tyrike Andrews, 13.Jeron Pantor, 15.Marvin Waldrop; 6.Shoaib Khan, 17.Nathaniel Perouse; 10.Declan Marcelle (9.Ezekiel Kesar), 8.Kodel Frontin, 7.Mark Ramdeen; 19. Isa Bramble (20.Seon Shippley).

Unused Substitutes: 12.Asukile Christopher, 14.Molik Khan, 16.Akil Johnson,  24.Jabari Lee, 30.Enrique Changiah.

Coach: Angus Eve

San Juan North Secondary (4-2-3-1): 1.Emmanuel John (GK); 19.Adrian Duncan (10.Jerry Morris), 4.Elisha Garcia, 22.Kyle Thomas, 17.Kareem John; 14.Darion Warner, 18.Malik Farrier; 2.Tyrell Cameron (13.Christon Mitchell), 3.Elair Brewster (16.Obadele Dickson), 11.Isaiah Chase; 9.Renaldo Boyce (C).

Unused Substitutes: 6.Jordan Britto, 8.Jeremiah Rodriguez, 12.Mattias Kendo, 30.Emmanuel Clarke.

Coach: Jerry Moe

RELATED NEWS

Naparima crowned National Intercol champions.
T&T Newsday Reports.

NAPARIMA College's captain and custodian, Levi Fernandez, produced a spectacular performance in the final of the National Coca-Cola Intercol by flying exceptionally well throughout the game before saving three penalties in an intense shootout. San Juan North Secondary fell victim to a 4-3 loss from the spot at the Ato Boldon Stadium, Couva, after the match ended 0-0 in regulation time. With penalty kicks deciding the newly crowned 2018 Champions, Fernandez saved his side's perfect season and captured the title which eluded them for the past three years.

San Juan's winger ,Isaiah Chase, tested Fernandez in the early minutes of the match by taking two shots from distance but the goalkeeper was well alert to the tasks at hand. Naps thought they had opened the scoring in the 22nd minute from a set piece but the goal was ruled offside despite Isa Bramble placing the cross into the back of the net.

Fernandez was in flying form when he saved a powerful shot from San Juan's captain, Ronaldo Boyce in the 47th minute. Two minutes later Chase skied his effort from outside the box. Naparima's midfielder, Mark Ramdeen, then crept into the game when his shot struck the post in the 63rd minute. Fernandez was then called to action in the 72nd minute when he had to dive low to deny Chase of a goal from a shot inside the six-yard box.

Boyce then had his second attempt blocked five minutes later by the unbeatable custodian. The score remained 0-0 until the end of the match as both goalkeepers made their impact. Elisha Garcia managed to save two consecutive shots in the shootout for San Juan North but they were unable to captivate from their advantage.

Speaking after the match, MVP of the match, Fernandez said, "Being the captain of this spectacular side for this season it was a big responsibility for me and when everyone thought it was over in the shootout, I was still calm and confident in myself that I would save at least one penalty." He continued, "It is a remarkable feat to go unbeaten for the entire season and to keep five clean sheets in the Intercol. We know it would have been a physical game against a strong team but I think I did my job which was to keep the ball from hitting the back of the net and we give thanks to God for us achieving this prestigious milestone."

Naps celebrate Intercol victory.
By Radhica De Silva (Guardian).

Cel­e­brat­ing their Triple Crown vic­to­ry hav­ing emerged In­ter­col cham­pi­ons for the third time in their school's his­to­ry, foot­ballers of Na­pari­ma Col­lege held a spe­cial as­sem­bly at their school in San Fer­nan­do on Wednes­day.

As their school­mates ap­plaud­ed lusti­ly, the foot­ballers pre­sent­ed their foot­ball tro­phies to the au­di­ence hav­ing copped the Pre­mier League cham­pi­onship, the South In­ter­col cham­pi­onship and the 2018 Co­ca-Co­la Na­tion­al In­ter­col Cham­pi­onship.

Prin­ci­pal Dr Michael Dowlath said the foot­ballers were un­de­feat­ed through­out the sea­son and de­spite the nail-bit­ing fi­nal match and the star­tling penal­ty kicks by their op­po­nent San Juan Sec­ondary, the Na­pari­ma foot­ballers emerged vic­to­ri­ous­ly.

Dowlath said the school was proud as it was the third time that it won the Triple Crown hav­ing copped the ti­tles in 1999, 2015 and 2018.

"The sup­port from the stu­dent's rhythm sec­tion was re­al­ly out­stand­ing this year. This type of suc­cess is an ex­am­ple of the kind of holis­tic ed­u­ca­tion that we pride our­selves in at Na­pari­ma Col­lege," Dowlath said.

He added that it was not the on­ly suc­cess achieved at the school this year.

"We al­so won the Ju­nior Achiev­ers Lead­er­ship de­bate se­ries this term and the Na­tion­al Chess Cham­pi­onship as well. We re­al­ly try to de­vel­op all-around men and we are proud of the stu­dents and their com­mit­ment and per­se­ver­ance to their aca­d­e­m­ic and ex­tracur­ric­u­lar ac­tiv­i­ties," Dowlath added.

Dowlath al­so ex­pressed grat­i­tude to the coach­ing staff led An­gus Ezes and man­ag­er Percey Sam­lals­ingh who played foot­ball for Na­pari­ma Col­lege.

"We want to rec­og­nize that foot­ball is a great part of the Na­pari­ma Col­lege. We have pro­duced Mark Ramdeen who was a mem­ber of the Na­tion­al Un­der 20 team. We con­tin­ue to pro­duce play­ers who go on to top Na­tion­al suc­cess," Dowlath added.

He al­so said that the school had 14 na­tion­al ti­tles, the most of any sec­ondary school in T&T.

Re­spond­ing to the Na­pari­ma vic­to­ry Coach Eze said the school has been suc­cess­ful in foot­ball over the past few years.

"That con­sis­ten­cy was proven by us play­ing the en­tire sea­son un­de­feat­ed and when we went in­to the In­ter­col we said we will not con­cede any goals. The boys showed their dis­ci­pline and that is the hall­mark of the school it­self. Every one of my 25 play­ers was tremen­dous. Cap­tain Levi Fer­nan­dez was un­be­liev­able in his lead­er­ship," Eze said.

He thanked all the play­ers, de­fend­ers, strik­ers, mid-field­ers, their par­ents, mem­bers of staff, spon­sors and the prin­ci­pal for help­ing the team to se­cure the vic­to­ry.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 01:42:09 AM by Flex »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 05, 2018, 09:33:24 PM »
WATCH: Naparima College crowned National Intercol Champions after 4-3 penalty thriller against San Juan North Secondary

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/w7q307x2zgg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/w7q307x2zgg</a>

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #160 on: December 06, 2018, 05:44:51 AM »
Eve: I didn't think lightning can strike twice.
By Walter Alibey (Guardian).

It seems the pow­er of 'des­tiny' pre­vailed in Tues­day's Co­ca-Co­la Na­tion­al In­ter­col Fi­nal at the Ato Boldon Sta­di­um in Cou­va, where Na­pari­ma Col­lege won 4-3 on penal­ties to com­plete an un­blem­ished record in this sea­son's Sec­ondary Schools Foot­ball League (SS­FL).

At a post-match press con­fer­ence that fol­lowed the match, Na­pari­ma coach An­gus Eve ded­i­cat­ed the win to his fall­en for­mer team-mate Michael Mc­Comie who died on Tues­day night, but he ad­mit­ted he was not con­fi­dent of tak­ing the ti­tle, as he didn't be­lieve light­ning could strike twice.

Michael Mc Comie, the for­mer na­tion­al and St Au­gus­tine goal­keep­er died on Tues­day evening at the Hope Med­ical Hos­pi­tal af­ter doc­tors per­formed emer­gency surgery on a tu­mour. The 46-year-old was a for­mer na­tion­al play­er and coach and at­tend­ed St Au­gus­tine Sec­ondary School.

Mean­while, San Juan man­ag­er Stephen Clarke, on the oth­er hand, said his team fought hard, played a good game, but it just was not to be for them.

Clarke's men led by two goals in the penal­ty shoot-out, af­ter the game end­ed goal­less at the end of reg­u­la­tion time. And al­though his five kick­ers were the same ones who pro­duced a clean sheet in a sim­i­lar shoot-out against Trin­i­ty Col­lege East in the East In­ter­col fi­nal last week, the un­cer­tain­ty of the spot kicks rared its ug­ly head for the Bourg Mu­la­tresse men, who failed to hold their nerves for the first time this sea­son.

"We had the op­por­tu­ni­ty to win it at the fi­nal kick and it didn't hap­pen. The last penal­ty shout-out against Trin­i­ty East we use the same bunch of guys in the same or­der. This time around it didn't hap­pen. The guy who missed the fifth kick has been do­ing it all sea­son. He hasn't missed a spot kick for the en­tire sea­son, even for the Un­der-16 team which came up against Pre­sen­ta­tion Col­lege for the Na­tion­al ti­tle, and he scored, so it's safe to say that the nerves got the bet­ter of them," Clarke said.

"We are dis­ap­point­ed with the re­sult, how­ev­er, we feel proud for the mem­bers of the com­mu­ni­ty and the play­ers of the team. The boys fought re­al­ly hard, we gave it our best in the end in the penal­ty shoot-out but such is the na­ture of penal­ties. We are not dis­graced but we in­tend to come again next year to do bet­ter," Clarke said.

Eve's men too al­so gave it their all, but it was un­fath­omable for him to think his men, who came from three goals down in a pre­vi­ous shoot-out with south ri­vals Pre­sen­ta­tion Col­lege, could have re­peat­ed a sec­ond time. "I wasn't con­fi­dent. I didn't think that light­ning could strike twice. The first penal­ty shoot-out we missed the first three, but cred­it to the Levi Fer­nan­dez, he was fan­tas­tic, and cred­it to Tyrike An­drews," Eve ex­plained.

Some of Eve's men were re­quired to take an ex­am­i­na­tion be­fore the match, still, there was lit­tle to no im­pact from it.

The for­mer na­tion­al coach cred­it­ed his play­ers for the lev­el of con­sis­ten­cy for the sea­son, say­ing there was a fum­ble in the per­for­mance which led to a few drawn match­es ear­ly in the sea­son, but oth­er­wise, the play­ers were pro­fes­sion­al and con­sis­tent.

Some of Eve's play­ers will wing out on schol­ar­ships but he is, how­ev­er, promis­ing a strong team for the com­ing sea­son, with a num­ber of very tal­ent­ed young play­ers.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #161 on: December 06, 2018, 05:46:59 AM »
South XI aim to retain SSFL All-Star title.

THE second edition of the Secondary Schools Football League (SSFL) All-Star game between the North XI and reigning champs South XI will take place Sunday at the Manny Ramjohn Stadium, Marabella, starting at 3 pm.

The match is organised by former national player and host of the football television programme, Field of Dreams, Steve David, in collaboration with ACTN The Voice and SSFL. The North XI will consist of the standout footballers from this season, who represented their schools, in the North, East and Tobago zones, while the South XI will consist of the best players within the Central and South zones.

Last year, the South XI claimed the bragging rights and got their name engraved on the first ever SSFL All-Star title, after emerging victorious in the penalty shootout. This year, the North XI will be seeking to capture at least one title for the season as Naparima College lifted all the trophies for the South zone by ending their season undefeated. Both Naps and San Juan North Secondary's coaches, Angus Eve and Jerry Moe, who faced each other in the National Intercol final on Tuesday, were handed the responsibility of selecting the best possible teams to represent their zone.

In addition, the Girls All-Star competition will feature as the first match of the double-header, and kicks off at 1.30 pm, with their North XI and South XI teams selected based on the same criteria. The event is free to the public.

South All-Stars:

Goalkeepers – Levi Fernandez (Naps), Jabari Gray (Pres Sando).

Defenders – Darnell Hospedales (Pres Sando), Justin Cornwall (Pres Sando), Jeron Pantor (Naps), Tyrike Andrews (Naps), Daquon Foster (Naps).

Midfielders – Kodel Frontin (Naps), Nathaniel Perouse (Naps), Khayyam Headley (St. Benedict's), Kevon Williams (Caps), Josiah King (Caps) Jordan Riley (Pres Sando), Jerrin Jackie (Pres Sando), Ackeel Jacob (Pres Sando).

Forwards – Keon Boney (St Benedict’s), Jaycee Paras (St. Benedict's), Mark Ramdeen (Naps), Seon Shippley (Naps), Isa Bramble (Naps).

North All-Stars:

Goalkeepers – Jacques Poon-Lewis (QRC), Emmanuel John (San Juan North).

Defenders – Ian Cowie (St. Anthony’s), Ronaldo Jacob (Trinity-Moka), Kerdell Sween (Trinity-East), Nick Guy (Valencia), Kyle Thomas (San Juan North), Dominique Lyons (Bishop’s- Tobago).

Midfielders – Haile Beckles (St. Anthony’s), Zion Mc Leod (East Mucurapo), Luke Darwent (Fatima), Gabriel Nanton (St. Mary’s), Tyrese Spicer (St. Mary’s), Ethan Bonaparte (St. Augustine), Rivaldo Coryat (St. Augustine), Tyrique Sutherland (Trinity-East), Isaiah Chase (San Juan North), Elair Brewster (San Juan North), Kishon Huyshen (Bishop’s- Tobago).

Forwards – Kesean St. Rose (St. Augustine), Ronaldo Boyce (San Juan North).

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 07, 2018, 08:45:26 AM »
By Joel Bailey (T&T Newsday
)

CANIOS RUIZ scored twice and Addae Paponette netted the other as QRC defeated Fatima 3-1 yesterday, in the final of the inaugural Fruta Form One (Under-13) National League football competition.

How could this be national when Tobago teams are not allowed to participate ?????????????????????

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 07, 2018, 08:47:33 AM »
Just like Pres. Sando being named National U16 Champions but there was no Tobago team in the competition.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 07, 2018, 04:53:14 PM »
By Joel Bailey (T&T Newsday
)

CANIOS RUIZ scored twice and Addae Paponette netted the other as QRC defeated Fatima 3-1 yesterday, in the final of the inaugural Fruta Form One (Under-13) National League football competition.

How could this be national when Tobago teams are not allowed to participate ?????????????????????

Demand that SSFL include Tobago.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: December 07, 2018, 04:54:03 PM »
Just like Pres. Sando being named National U16 Champions but there was no Tobago team in the competition.

Demand that SSFL include Tobago.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #166 on: December 10, 2018, 01:40:20 AM »
Goalkeepers shine at SSFL All-Star Game.

North beat South in boys final as…

EMMANUEL John saved four penalties to claim victory for the North XI during yesterday's Field of Dreams/SSFL All-Star Game at the Manny Ramjohn Stadium, Marabella. The San Juan North goalkeeper propelled his zone to a 2-0 victory over the South XI in another thrilling penalty shootout to end the 2018 season.

Despite South substitute goalkeeper, Jabari Gary, getting his hands on two of the four penalty shots he faced, the northerners' goalie performed even better to help his team claim bragging rights.

In the early minutes of the game which was viewed by foreign scouts, Kyle Thomas stung the hands of South goalie Levi Fernandez from a free-kick. Fernandez was later tested again from a similar distance by Thomas, but the goalkeeper from Naparima College held on to the shot. MVP of the match, Mark Ramdeen, then tried his luck from a free-kick in the 28th minute but he directed it straight at John.

The first half ended 0-0, but the second period started much different as Ramdeen made the most of his opponent's flat footed defence to go 1-0 up. Ramdeen, in the 46th minute, slotted a through pass into the back of the net to put South ahead.

Nathaniel Perouse had a go in the 56th minute for the South XI but his shot went well wide of the target. The Northern side had an opportunity from a counterattack moments later but were unable to make it count. North's Halie Beckles then shocked the crowed with a stunning strike in the 71st minute to knot the score. Five minutes later, Ronaldo Boyce could have given North the advantage when Tyrique Sutherland found him at the back-post with a superb cross, but the striker's header flew inches over the crossbar.

Luke Darwent had his opportunity to seal the victory for North in the 82nd minute, however, South XI's reserved goalkeeper, Jabary Gray, saved the attempt. Two minutes later Beckles should have scored his second goal of the game but once more the chance went begging after he pulled his shot wide of the upright as penalties were needed to decide the winner.

In the girls All-Star game, it was the South XI who walked away victorious after they defeated their opponents 1-0 in the first match of the doubleheader. La Toya Cayenne scored in the 68th minute, making no mistake to find the back of the net when Crissy Mitchell found her in the box.

The first half had ended 0-0 despite MVP Afiyah Cornwall bossing proceedings. Felicia King could have levelled the score in the 72nd minute for the North but South's substitute goalkeeper, Akyla Walcott, kept her side in the lead by saving her two close range attempts. King then tried her luck from distance but the ball did not dip in time as the attempt whistled past the crossbar.

In the 87th minute, Alexcia Ali had an opportunity to double the lead for South when she controlled the ball, only to sky her attempt.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #167 on: December 11, 2018, 01:45:12 AM »
Naps footballer recovering from gunshot wounds.

A MEMBER of the 2018 Secondary Schools Football League (SSFL) triple-crown champions Naparima team is recovering after being shot in Claxton Bay on Saturday.

The injured player was a key part of the Naparima team that won the SSFL Premier Division, the South Zone Intercol and the National Intercol crowns.

A post on the SSFL Facebook page said, “He was reportedly shot in his arm and leg. Our prayers are with him and his family.”

The Facebook post continued, “(The named footballer) was supposed to line up with the South/Central team in (Sunday’s) SSFL/Field of Dreams All Star match at the Manny Ramjohn Stadium which North/East/Tobago won on penalty kicks.”

A member of the Naparima technical staff said yesterday that the injured footballer “is recovering and improving at this time.”

SSFL president William Wallace was unaware of the shooting.

“I haven’t heard about the incident at all,” said Wallace. “I was in the TTFA AGM whole day (on Sunday).”

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Shiva Boys claim inaugural KFC Goodwill Tournament title
« Reply #168 on: December 24, 2018, 06:07:59 PM »
Shiva Boys claim inaugural KFC Goodwill Tournament title
Guyana Times

The Ministry of Education Ground on Carifesta Avenue in Georgetown was the preferred place to be on Saturday evening, as four secondary school teams competed for supremacy in the KFC Goodwill Tournament, with the Shiva Boys College of Trinidad and Tobago carting off the inaugural championship trophy.

The finals of this three-day competition saw Annai Secondary taking on Annandale Secondary, before Christianburg-Wismar Secondary battled Shiva Boys Hindu College of Trinidad and Tobago. There could not be a better script to the climax of this final night, as Annai and Shiva Boys each needed to win in order to take home the championship trophy.

In the first encounter, a spirited Annai side played valiantly, proving they are indeed one of the best school teams in the country. Having stumbled in their first game against Shiva Boys, Annai had their soccer skills on full display in this encounter against Annandale. Mindful that goal difference would be an important factor, Annai’s improved attacking style discomfited Annandale from the get-go.

The Annandale goalkeeper should have scooped up the ball, but he squandered the collection twice, resulting in Annai’s first two goals. Highest goal scorer of the tournament, Annai’s Niazz Mohammed, then netted a goal of his own in the 28th minute, to push the score to 3-0.

With an already convincing lead by half time, Annai rubbed salt in Annandale’s wounds with another three goals; scored respectively by the prolific Niazz Mohammed, Junior Rodrigues and Naidison Daniels. Thus Annai humbled Annandale with an emphatic 6-nil victory.

Having done their part, Annai’s fate now rested in Christianburg-Wismar pulling off a win over Shiva Boys to give Annai the championship ahead of the visiting Trinidadians.

Christianburg-Wismar were well on their way to accomplishing this mission, matching pace and skills with the visitors, being often in control of the ball, and having countless near misses at goal. Shiva Boys had now met their match in the tournament, and had to fight hard to hold off the determined Lindeners.

The first goal eventually came from Stevon Thomas of Shiva Boys in the 39th minute, but this only provoked the Lindeners’ determination to equalise. This, unfortunately, did not materialise until the second half, when Tyrese Lewis found the back of the Shiva Boys net in the 60th minute. And just when it seemed that the contest would be plunged into penalties, the Shiva Boys struck luck in the 81st minute when they were awarded a penalty.

Gesiah Bishop made no mistake with the shot, which eventually won the game for his team and broke the hearts of both Christianburg-Wismar and Annai Secondary.

The individual presentations saw Annai’s Leston Smith being adjudged the best goalkeeper, and his teammate Niazz Mohammed being recognized as the highest goal-scorer. Shiva Boys’ Nikel Rawlings was awarded the tournament’s MVP.

RELATED NEWS

Shiva Boys win Guyana tourney.
T&T Newsday Reports.

T&T school tops KFC Goodwill football

SHIVA BOYS ended 2018 on a high, with victory in the KFC Goodwill Tournament in Guyana over the weekend.

Shiva Boys, the 2017 national Intercol champions, sealed the first place trophy on Saturday with a 2-1 win over Christianburg Wismar Secondary School in their final match. It was their third consecutive victory for Shiva Boys, after beating Annai Secondary and Annandale Secondary at the Ministry of Education ground, Carifesta Avenue.

Christianburg Wismar also defeated the other two teams by lopsided margins, making the final game the deciding match of the round robin tournament.

The start of the match saw both sides attacking and creating chances which dictated the competitive nature of the tie. The boys from TT took the lead in the first half through a header from Steven Thomas in the 35th minute and they maintained the advantage until the half.

In the second half, Christianburg Wismar came out aggressive and showed exactly why they’ve earned the reputation as one of the top footballing schools in Guyana. The home side eventually found the equalizer in the 70th minute, unlocking the Shiva defence by beating the offside trap. Despite not competing in the premier division of the Secondary Schools Football League this season, Shiva Boys showed their pedigree to dig deep for the result.

The Penal-based school injected fuel into their tank as they were determined to travel back home with the trophy. Behind on goal difference in the tournament, Shiva Boys pressed for the go-ahead goal needed to win the competition and were gifted a penalty in the spirit of the season.

A Christianburg Wismar defender handled ball in the box in the 85th minute and the referee had no choice but to award the visitors a spot kick. Midfielder Gesiah Bishop stepped up with poise and precision to score the winning goal of the tournament as Shiva Boys held on till the final whistle.

The successful champions from the south returned home yesterday in time for the Christmas holiday.

« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 07:27:18 AM by Flex »

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 27, 2018, 10:54:31 AM »
Judah Garcia and Pappy on that side still?
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline amielisadore

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: December 27, 2018, 01:06:09 PM »

Judah plays in the Pro League for Point Fortin so highly doubt.

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: December 29, 2018, 02:00:39 PM »

No. Most of the key players not there. Playing pro league now, transfer, etc. Younger guys Transfer to Naps, Pres, etc.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #172 on: January 31, 2019, 07:13:19 AM »
Ramdeen, Ali, Joseph top SSFL players.
By Innis Francis (Guardian).

His­lop tells young foot­ballers to dream big.

Mark Ramdeen of Na­pari­ma Col­lege was named the boys' "Play­er of the Year" while the top ho­n­ours among the girls were shared be­tween Pleas­antville Sec­ondary School duo Alex­cia Ali and Jasan­dra Joe­sph at the awards cer­e­mo­ny of the Sec­ondary School’s Foot­ball League (SS­FL).

Yes­ter­day, the young foot­ballers were ho­n­oured and urged to dream big at the func­tion held at the Cou­va/Point Lisas Cham­ber of Com­merce.

Fea­ture speak­er and for­mer na­tion­al goal­keep­er Sha­ka His­lop told the awardees that suc­cess was rel­a­tive and not based on ge­o­graph­ic bar­ri­ers.

“In Ja­maica or any­one of our small Caribbean is­lands we feel huge suc­cess­es are the do­main of those huge coun­tries," said His­lop. "We don't ever feel, we can pro­duce world lead­ers, world ath­letes, the great­est of in­tel­lects that can com­pete in this high stage, sim­ply be­cause we are this small. When the on­ly dif­fer­ence is those coun­tries de­spite their pop­u­la­tions con­tin­ue to sup­port their bright­est and un­der­stand ex­act­ly what they can achieve.”

The stu­dents, who are as­pir­ing to take the sport fur­ther, was al­so told that dream­ing big is one of the things we do not do well in T&T.

His­lop rem­i­nisced on the time he sat in the same au­di­to­ri­um say­ing, “I al­lowed my­self to get lost in my dreams. Some of those dreams I ac­com­plished and some of my ac­com­plish­ments would have been part of those dreams but most of those dreams didn't, and that is okay. I think we have lost sight of the fact that suc­cess is a stepped process, achieve­ment is a stepped process that needs to be thought through and thought out.”

Tro­phies and medals were pre­sent­ed to win­ners in each di­vi­sion in­clud­ing the Boys Un­der-13, U-14, girls U-15, ju­nior, se­nior U-20 boys and girls, na­tion­al ti­tles, cham­pi­onships boys and girls zon­al league.

His­lop went on to urge the young­sters to al­so ded­i­cate their time to their aca­d­e­m­ic ca­reer and in­di­cat­ed his pas­sion was for de­sign­ing cars.

He said, “I re­mem­ber my fa­ther telling me that sports and aca­d­e­mics go hand-in-hand. When you're play­ing well, you will do well in school. When you were get­ting good grades you will play bet­ter on the field. I have seen no kind of da­ta to sug­gest this much but that is ex­act­ly how it worked out in my life, even to play­ing pro­fes­sion­al­ly in Eng­land, that dis­ci­pline of time man­age­ment stayed with me and pro­vid­ed a foun­da­tion for the suc­cess­es that I had, in par­tic­u­lar, the longevi­ty of my ca­reer.

"I dreamed about de­sign­ing cars which is my pas­sion, which is why I went to school and did en­gi­neer­ing while play­ing foot­ball. If foot­ball did not work out I would have de­signed a car or two, so give your­selves per­mis­sion to dream big enough.”

Lament­ing, that fail­ure is part of suc­ceed­ing, he urged the young ath­letes to give them­selves space to fail and sup­port each oth­er. He said they should not get lost in the com­ments of so­cial me­dia and what is said about them on Twit­ter or In­sta­gram.

SS­FL pres­i­dent William Wal­lace, as­sured the foot­ballers that they are work­ing on pro­grammes to as­sist them in ob­tain­ing high­er ed­u­ca­tion. He said the bud­get for the pro­gramme has been fi­nalised and asked for cor­po­rate T&T as­sis­tance. He men­tioned that Co­ca Co­la was the first com­pa­ny to pledge sup­port to this ini­tia­tive.

Williams said, “The ex­ec­u­tive de­cid­ed that the league should play a greater role in de­fy­ing or as­sist­ing play­ers who are de­sirous of pur­su­ing ter­tiary ed­u­ca­tion. We have de­cid­ed on a schol­ar­ship pro­gramme to as­sist these play­ers by pro­vid­ing fund­ing their SATs tu­ition. The SAT is a re­quire­ment to get in­to the US col­leges.

"We will be work­ing with our in­ter­na­tion­al part­ner GPS who will source the col­leges to place our play­ers. Even though the pro­gramme is not ful­ly op­er­a­tional, we were still able to en­gage GPS in the end of the sea­son to con­duct two com­bines, one in Trinidad and one in To­ba­go.”

He said over 400 play­ers ap­plied to GPS on­line. The re­port from this ex­er­cise re­vealed that a num­ber of tal­ent­ed play­ers, both boys and girls will find pos­si­ble place­ments in col­leges and uni­ver­si­ties.

Schools ho­n­oured with awards in­clud­ed Cara­pichaima East, Fa­ti­ma Col­lege, Pre­sen­ta­tion Col­lege, San Fer­nan­do, El Do­ra­do East, Queen’s Roy­al Col­lege, Pleas­antville Sec­ondary, Preysal Sec­ondary, Trin­i­ty Col­lege East, Scar­bor­ough Sec­ondary, Holy Name Con­vent, Port-of-Spain, Fyz­abad An­gli­can, Ch­agua­nas North, Holy Cross Col­lege, Na­pari­ma Col­lege, San Juan North, Bish­op’s High, Mt Hope Sec­ondary, Man­zanil­la Sec­ondary, Mir­a­cle Min­istries Pen­te­costal, Siparia West, Shi­va Boys’ Hin­du Col­lege, Mal­ick Sec­ondary, Spey­side High, Five Rivers Sec­ondary, Tran­quil­li­ty Sec­ondary and St Bene­dict’s Col­lege.

RELATED NEWS

Ramdeen, Ali, Joseph claim top SSFL awards.

MARK RAMDEEN of Naparima College was named as the male Most Valuable Player (MVP) of the Secondary Schools Football League (SSFL) 2018 season.

For the first time, there were joint female MVPs as fellow Lower Six students Alexcia Ali and Jasandra Joseph, both of Pleasantville Secondary, claimed top honours.

The SSFL held its annual award ceremony yesterday, at the Couva/Point Lisas Chamber of Commerce, Couva.

The 18-year-old Ramdeen was a member of the Naparima team who captured the treble last season – Premier Division, South Zone Intercol and National Intercol titles.

“I felt really proud that I came out on top and I accomplished all that I wanted to accomplish in the year,” said Ramdeen.

The goals, which were set out by the Siparia resident, were “to be the MVP and to win every (title on offer).”

The midfielder was also involved with the national Under-20 team which participated in the CONCACAF Championships in Florida, United States last November.

“It was a great experience playing against different countries and against people that may be better than us,” said Ramdeen.

The diminutive Ramdeen credited the role played by Naparima coach Angus Eve in his development.

“He has made me become a more mature player. I used to run with the ball plenty but he (broke) it down a little bit and made me more effective on the field.”

Ramdeen, who is studying Physical Education and Information Technology, is eager to either pursue a football scholarship or become a professional player.

Ramdeen, schoolmate Levi Fernandez, John Paul Rochford (QRC), Kesean St Rose (St Augustine Secondary) and Keon Boney (St Benedict’s) were the top five male players of the year.

Ali and Joseph joined Afiyah Cornwall (Carapichaima East Secondary), Celeine Loraine (Signal Hill) and Klil Keshwar (Bishop Anstey) as the top female players of the year.

The petite 18-year-old Ali, formerly of Penal Secondary, was the star of the show in the Girls Intercol final, as she netted a hat-trick as Pleasantville whipped Signal Hill 3-0.

About her joint MVP award, the striker said, “It felt great, knowing all your hard work paid off. (The season) was different because it was the first time reaching this far (with) this great team.”

The Penal resident credited her uncle Anthony Rose for getting her involved in the sport. She said, “I’ll either like to go pro or on a scholarship.”

Joseph, who is called “Mama” by her teammates, said, “It felt great. It was a great season. This (was) my second season playing with Pleasantville.”

She is not content with the titles earned by her school this past season (National Intercol, South Zonal Intercol and South Zone Championship).

“I want to keep winning and (guiding) the young ones,” said the Gasparillo resident.

Like Ramdeen and Ali, the 20-year-old midfielder is eyeing either a professional deal or a football scholarship in the foreseeable future.

Former national goalkeeper Shaka Hislop was the feature speaker at the event.

Honour Roll – All Star Teams (schools in brackets)

Male

GOALKEEPERS: Emmanuel John (San Juan North), Jabari Grey (Presentation San Fernando), Jacob Camacho (Fatima), Levi Fernandez (Naparima).

DEFENDERS: Christian Ransome (Trinity East), Jeron Pantor (Naparima), Kareem John (San Juan North), Kerdell Sween (Trinity East), Raheim Jawahir (Trinity Moka), Tyrike Andrews (Naparima).

MIDFIELDERS: Dwight Yorke (Valencia), Haile Beckles (St Anthony’s), Isaiah Chase (San Juan North), John Paul Rochford (QRC), Jordan Riley (Presentation San Fernando), Josiah King (Carapichaima East), Mark Ramdeen (Naparima), Rivaldo Coryat (St Augustine), Zion McLeod (East Mucurapo).

STRIKERS: Dominique Lyons (Bishop’s High), Keon Boney (St Benedict’s), Kesean St Rose (St Augustine), Kevon Williams (Carapichaima East), Ronaldo Boyce (San Juan North), Tyrese Spicer (St Mary’s).

Female

GOALKEEPERS: Afiya Carmichael (Tranquillity), Akayla Walcott (Pleasantville), Celine Logan (Point Fortin East), Klil Keshwar (Bishop Anstey).

DEFENDERS: Derisha Bristol (Signal Hill), Jhaney Simon (Pleasantville), Latifha Pascall (Pleasantville), Leah Massiah (Carapichaima East), Nathifa Hackshaw (Five Rivers), Shawnelle Rose (Pleasantville), Tyanna Williams (Bishop Anstey East).

MIDFIELDERS: Ashante Campbell (Signal Hill), Chrissy Mitchell (Pleasantville), Jalene Sobers (Bishop Anstey), Jasandra Joseph (Pleasantville), Kayla Baboolal (Valencia), Moenesha Meijas (El Dorado East), Shneice Maynard (Carapichaima East).

STRIKERS: Afiyah Cornwall (Carapichaima East), Alexcia Ali (Pleasantville), Celine Loraine (Signal Hill), Feliciay King (Tranquillity), Jada Gaskin (Five Rivers), Mia Mitchell (Five Rivers), Taliah Simon (Carapichaima).

« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 07:18:42 AM by Flex »

1]; } ?>