April 18, 2024, 06:21:32 AM

Author Topic: Lawrence Rowe, a cricketing enigma  (Read 2746 times)

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Lawrence Rowe, a cricketing enigma
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2018, 07:21:36 PM »
To further confirm his genius, Rowe then scored a brilliant defensive innings of 123 in seven-and-a-quarter hours, on a turning Queen's Park Oval pitch, in the first innings of the fifth Test. The value of his innings was further underlined by the fact that the majority of the WI batsmen failed and they duly lost the match by 26 runs.

vb, I had the good fortune of sitting in the hot sun in the Carib stand when Rowe scored the 100. It was a meticulous and most discipline knock I have ever seen. He was determine to show that his was not a one hit wonder. And it was delightful that he did it outside JA. Everybody was expecting him to be the new or next Headley. Those injuries he had was frustrating for him and for the WI fans. The brilliant players of the late 50s and 60s were past their prime. In him, we saw hope of revival. But it was not to be, until the Master Blaster from Antigua made his appearance. Thanks for the fun Mr. Rowe.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
Re: Lawrence Rowe, a cricketing enigma
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2018, 08:48:20 PM »
To further confirm his genius, Rowe then scored a brilliant defensive innings of 123 in seven-and-a-quarter hours, on a turning Queen's Park Oval pitch, in the first innings of the fifth Test. The value of his innings was further underlined by the fact that the majority of the WI batsmen failed and they duly lost the match by 26 runs.

vb, I had the good fortune of sitting in the hot sun in the Carib stand when Rowe scored the 100. It was a meticulous and most discipline knock I have ever seen. He was determine to show that his was not a one hit wonder. And it was delightful that he did it outside JA. Everybody was expecting him to be the new or next Headley. Those injuries he had was frustrating for him and for the WI fans. The brilliant players of the late 50s and 60s were past their prime. In him, we saw hope of revival. But it was not to be, until the Master Blaster from Antigua made his appearance. Thanks for the fun Mr. Rowe.

Never got to see Rowe in is prime, was just a little boy. However, I do remember in 1982 just before the S. African rebel tour, he made a patient half century in a match that J'ca lost heavily to TT (I think it was Guaracara). He was the only one who stood up. I remember how lucky I felt that I could say that I saw Lawrence Rowe bat even if it were in the twilight of his career.

Malcolm Marshall and Boycott said that Rowe was the best WI batsman they every played with or against and that includes Richards.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

1]; } ?>