March 28, 2024, 11:39:00 AM

Author Topic: Thread for T&T vs Iran Game (15-Nov-2018)  (Read 10807 times)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Thread for T&T vs Iran Game (15-Nov-2018)
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2018, 01:55:30 PM »
Iranian Women Demanded ‘Open Stadiums’ for a Long Time
By Open Stadiums in contribution to Atlantic Council

In a country where football was traditionally seen as a man’s sport, I was a passionate football fan. For Iranians, it was considered not just strange but taboo that a young Iranian girl be into football the way I was while growing up.

It hurt whenever people mocked me, “Girls know nothing about football, they just love footballers.” But nothing could stop me and many other Iranian girls from following sports in the newspapers and football matches on television.

I remember when Team Melli—Iran’s national football team—was on the path to the 1998 World Cup in France, we were crazy about them. I was only a teenager back then and Iranians had just elected reformist President Mohammad Khatami. It was a sign that the atmosphere of our country was changing.

When Team Melli returned to Iran after a qualification match, they went to Azadi stadium for a ceremony. Passionate male and female football fans greeted them. Security forces were taken aback by the presence of women and didn’t know what to do. They couldn’t stop the women and after a call from the president’s office, the security forces allowed women [to] enter Tehran’s forbidden temple for the first time after the 1979 revolution.

Images from Azadi stadium that day awakened many female fans. Iranian girls started to play football and soon club after club started opening for women—yet we still couldn’t watch a football match.

Then Iran qualified for the World Cup for the first time in decades. I remember when we took to the streets to celebrate. Up until then, I couldn’t remember Iranians being happier than that day.

For us children of the revolution—those born during or after the 1979 revolution—it was [the] first time that we felt a nationwide happiness and glory because of Team Melli. Yet, every time there was a football match in Iran, my heart would hurt and I’d ask myself, “Why can’t I go to [the] stadium and watch a game?”

Then in 2004, there was a friendly between Iran and Germany. It was one of those matches that you know will never happen again. A few female journalists stood outside of Azadi stadium because they wanted to watch the game. German passport-holding women were allowed to watch the match, but Iranian women in their own country couldn’t enter the stadium and were beaten by security forces. This habit continued any time Team Melli had a home match.

Under Khatami’s presidency, women’s rights groups flourished. It was also a time when the internet and blogs became a popular tool for Iranians. In 2005, activists used their online presence to campaign for Iranian women to be allowed in Azadi stadium to watch Iran’s final World Cup qualification match against Bahrain.

Despite the police presence, Iranian women came prepared with banners, slogans and white scarves. It was the run-up to the 2005 presidential election and the sport minister Mahmoud Soltanifar was one of the candidates. He wanted to win support, so Soltanifar brought some female actresses to the stadium, yet ordinary Iranian women were outside and being beaten by security forces once again. A woman’s leg was broken, which didn’t look good in front of all the foreign journalists who were present to cover the qualification match. Eventually, security forces gave in and allowed the women to enter—the first time to watch a match under the Islamic Republic.

We were so happy after that. We thought that was a first big step and if we push[ed] for more, the Iranian government would open stadiums for everyone.

But it never happened. For another two matches, women protested in front of Azadi stadium and weren’t allowed to enter.

A few months before Mahmoud Ahmadinejad ended his first year of presidency, he announced that stadiums will be open to women. We were worried because suddenly Ahmadinejad showed interest and wanted to take the credit. We were also concerned with the reactions. Soon after the announcement, Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei said stadiums are not suitable for women.

Now we were in a conundrum. When women went to protest a match, they were disobeying the Supreme Leader’s order. After Team Melli’s match against Bosnia in 2006, which ended in the brutal beating of female protesters, it made the protesters rethink ways to protest against the stadium ban. They chose the name “White Scarves” because they wrote their slogan—half of Azadi (freedom) is my share—on their white scarves so police couldn’t rip them up like banners.

The White Scarves started collecting evidence of the women’s ban and sent it to FIFA and the Asian Football Confederation in order to bring attention to international sport organizations and their own statutes. The group also published articles online because discussing about women entering stadiums in state newspapers was forbidden.

We also sought to talk to clerics because they were strong opponents of women entering stadiums. They argued that watching half-naked men in stadiums is forbidden for women. We thought perhaps if we provided evidence we could convince the clerics but they didn’t accept us.

Over the years, stories have emerged of girls who dressed like men and passed security to watch the matches. There was even a famous movie made about it in 2006 called, “Offside.” When the 2009 post-election protests known as the Green Movement kicked off, there was a crackdown on civil society. Most White Scarves activists left the country, while others went back to being silent again. They couldn’t even discuss the ban because of all the other problems that activists and Iranians were going through.

After those gloomy years, it wasn’t until FIFA President Sepp Blatter visited Tehran in 2013 that we reached out and raised the issue. Blatter ended up mentioning it during his meeting with President Hassan Rouhani. The president was hopeful that Iran would end the ban. But less than [a] year later, the government banned women from volleyball and basketball matches, which were once seen as an example of how families could be in stadiums.

It wasn’t until the 2018 World Cup in Russia that the stadium ban received attention again and made headlines around the world. Journalists wrote about the women’s ban and how Team Melli was the only World Cup team whose female citizens couldn’t watch matches in their home country.

It’s believed that the negative media attention surrounding Team Melli caused some internal debates between parliament, the Sport Ministry, and the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps. After Iran played against Spain during the World Cup, rumors circulated that the government was setting up a big screen in Azadi stadium.

Iranian authorities denied the rumors, but it didn’t stop female fans from going to Azadi stadium with their families. After much back and forth, the gates were opened and the most amazing photos and videos were shared on social media of men and women cheering Iran together as they watched on a big screen. This happened again for Iran’s last World Cup match against Portugal.

Since the World Cup, a couple of matches have allowed Iranian women to enter stadiums, including in October when 100 women watched a friendly between Iran and Bolivia. Then on November 10, some 800 Iranian women watched the Asia Champions League final in Tehran. It’s a testament to how far we have come.

Looking back, the main achievement of the Open Stadiums campaign was to educate and bring awareness to the Iranian people. Now Iranians don’t make fun of female football fans and the stadium campaign has many advocates who learned that it’s a women’s absolute right to watch male sporting matches.

Open Stadiums is a movement of Iranian women seeking to end discrimination and let women enter stadiums. Follow them on Twitter: @OpenStadiums.

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2018, 02:58:20 PM »
WATCH: Trinidad and Tobago defender Sheldon Bateau​ talks about the team's preparation leading up to the International Friendly against Iran

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/yTxAPVJxjuM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/yTxAPVJxjuM</a>
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2018, 03:29:37 PM »
WATCH: Trinidad and Tobago continue preparations for Iran Friendly

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/z7_2YXi4fvw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/z7_2YXi4fvw</a>

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2018, 06:02:25 PM »
WATCH: Trinidad and Tobago Assistant Coach Stuart Charles-Fevrier expects a solid contest against Iran

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/BqmJ9Zx39XE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/BqmJ9Zx39XE</a>

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2018, 06:38:03 PM »
Trinidad and Tobago Soca Warriors eager to get strong Iran test
TTFA Media

Trinidad and Tobago’s Senior Men’s team head coach Dennis Lawrence met with Danish-born goalkeeper Nicklas Frederup for the first time on Tuesday as the Norwegian-based goalkeeper arrived in Tehran to join the team camp at the Parsian Esteghlal hotel ahead of Thursday’s international friendly with Iran.

Frederup is eligible to represent T&T as his mother is Trinidad and Tobago-born, San Fernando to be exact, and the 25-year-old custodian is eager to challenge for selection as he aims to make his debut for the team. The other two goalkeepers in the squad are Marvin Phillip and Adrian Foncette.

“I am really anxious to be here and and to meet my new teammates today,” Frederup told TTFA Media on Tuesday.  It’s good to see them face to face because I have been following them. I have been trying to join the team for a long time and I am happy now that I have gotten the opportunity from coach Lawrence. It’s a big dream for me and hopefully I can settle in and make a valuable contribution to the team.”

Also joining the T&T team on Tuesday was Saudi Arabia-based defender Daneil Cyrus while Charleston Battery midfielder Ataulla Guerra and Sheldon Bateau came in on Monday night and trained with the rest of the squad at the Iran Football Federation National Football Center.

T&T’s players have settled in Tehran following two days of training in chilly conditions as the conditions improved following consistent rainfall on Monday. This is only the third time a Caribbean nation has played in Iran after Jamaica played twice in 1998 and 2007, losing 1-0 and 8-1, and the Iranian nationals have been quite keen to get the rare chance of photographs with members of the team. Former T&T English-based defender Jlloyd Samuel played in Iran with Esteghlal and Paykan between 2011 and 2015. He tragically lost his life in a car crash in England in May.

According to Bateau, the outing provides a fantastic opportunity for T&T to get much needed match practice against a top opposition.

“Things are looking pretty good. We have been together for sometime and only a couple players are coming for the first time this year like Lester Peltier coming back in and a couple young guys. It is going to be important to finish the year on a good note and we’ve been working well. Unfortunately we lost to Thailand which I didn’t think we deserved and now just looking forward to giving a good showing against Iran,” Bateau told TTFA Media.

“It’s going to be difficult but already in training it’s been competitive. We always play to win when we play small sided games in training. We have a high level competitiveness within the team. Apart from that, it’s always a love in the camp and everyone is ready to work with and for one another,” he added.

The Kazakhstan-based defender who scored two goals at the 2015 CONCACAF Gold Cup, pointed out that the team is working with head coach Lawrence to get the best possible formula for the team heading into the Concacaf Nations League and Gold Cup in 2019.

“I think any transition takes time. He’s been here a while now and it’s difficult for him because we only have five days together within each window. He’ll give a little bit more information at every camp. He will not offload a lot at one time because it’s also difficult for us as players. He implements something new in every camp and it’s young and ambitious team, taking in what the coach is giving to us. Dennis has played at this level before and I myself, looked up to him when he played. When he gives information the players take it a bit differently. We can trust that whatever he gives is something we can use that can help us a team,” Bateau added.

Assistant coach Stuart Charles Fevrier meantime is hopeful of a solid showing by the T&T team.

“Personally I am very happy that we are playing opposition such as Iran. I believe that with us preparing for the Gold Cup, these are the caliber of the teams we need to be playing. I am satisfied with the efforts the boys are putting. The team has been improving. The team spirit and camaraderie  is very good and I am looking forward to see a solid performance against a team like Iran. We’ve had two good sessions so far with good quality,” Fevrier said.

Lawrence will put his team through its final paces on Wednesday morning.

Kick off at the Azadi Stadium is 6pm (10:30am TT time ) on Thursday and there will be live radio broadcast on I95.5FM.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2018, 09:13:51 PM »
Three things to say

1.  WOW@Lester Peltier. 

2.  Where are our forwards?

3.  Welcome Nicklas

4. Where de hell is Ranjitsingh?

5. WOW @Isaiah Lee

Wth is Lee?

Not surprised about ranjitsingh, djw wants keepers he can control and the coach, they don’t want to select the best team anyways

Where the hell is cummins? Isn’t he back to playing regular football

Peltier and that sh%$&*& hyland still surviving

One forward? Djw select this team with his puppet Lawrence

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2018, 09:46:42 PM »
Anyone know what’s going on with molino?

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2018, 10:50:35 PM »
You know except for lee, Nicklas Frenderup  curtis Gonzalez and  Julien  the roster has not change much from hart under DL  .. ..I am suprised shannon gomez does not get a call up .... he plays more regular than nathan lewis in the USL  btw  does Lewis even hold down a starting spot for his club team . However lewis does play well in national colors ..

Lewis has played twice for Indy Eleven in the last six months.

only twice and he gets called  but say what …..he does perform
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 10:52:19 PM by Trini _2022 »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2018, 10:52:31 PM »
Anyone know what’s going on with molino?

injury
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2018, 06:33:38 PM »
WATCH: Trinidad and Tobago midfielder Ataulla Guerra anticipates tough fixture against Iran.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/zHfpgCC8Ees" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/zHfpgCC8Ees</a>

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Trinidad and Tobago battle Iran in Tehran
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2018, 06:56:00 PM »
Trinidad and Tobago battle Iran in Tehran
TTFA Media

Trinidad and Tobago’s Senior Men’s Team will square off with hosts Iran in an international friendly at the Azadi Stadium in Tehran from 6pm local time (10:30am TT Time) on Thursday as both teams continue their build up to their respective confederation tournaments.

T&T, under head coach Dennis Lawrence will be looking to produce a business-like performance as they seek to finish the year on a high which has seen the team suffer two defeats in five international matches this year and three wins and two defeats in eight outings extending back to the win over the United States last October.

Speaking at a media briefing at the Iran Football Federation headquarters on the eve of the match, Lawrence said he expected a fierce challenge from the hosts.

“We’re here to take part in a competitive international friendly. We expect it to be a very, very tough game because the Iranian football team is a fantastic team at the moment. They’ve done very well in the last World Cup so we’re expecting it to be very difficult for us. But we’ve come, we’re mentally focused and we are going to give it a best to get a performance in first and foremost and hopefully the performance gives us a result,” Lawrence said.

“The players that are here are here to take the opportunity. Our target and our aim is to compete. We’re preparing for the Gold Cup in June and this is part of our preparation and so the opportunity is there for these players to stake their claim and to put in a performance against a team that has a very experienced manager in Mr. Queiroz who has put together a philosophy and playing style for Irani football that I think suits their football. I think we all understand what this guy offers to the Iran football team,” Lawrence added. “We had a good look at them in the World Cup and are very competitive and very aggressive team in a positive way

One Iranian reporter asked Lawrence whether T&T had any players in the mold of Dwight Yorke to which he responded, “I don’t think we have a player at that level. Dwight Yorke played in the Champions League, won the Champions League and played in the Premier League for a number of years. And that’s the target we need to get back to. We need to have players playing in the more competitive level because then it helps the football and helps the players around. So the idea now is for us to put together as a group and develop our younger talent to get them back to that level.. We are going to create the Dwight Yorkes, the Stern Johns, the Russell Latapys and the Marvin Andrews over a number of years but for now it’s all about baby steps.”

The Iranian Football Federation has agreed to have a minute silence before kick off in remembrance of former T&T defender Jlloyd Samuel who played in Iran for three years and his team Esteghlal was based at the venue for Thursday’s encounter. Samuel died tragically in a car crash in May this year. His wife Helia Sahimi met with the team at the Parsian Esteghlal hotel on Wednesday and will be a guest at the match. Iranians women will not be allowed to attend the match but special permission has been granted for her to attend.

German-based winger Joevin Jones was involved in today’s training session and the likes of Sheldon Bateau, Daneil Cyrus, skipper Khaleem Hyland, Triston Hodge, Nathan Lewis, Ataulla Guerra, Jomal Williams, Akeem Humphrey, Keston Julien, and Lester Peltier will be looking to put in solid shifts for Lawrence’s unit. The goalkeeping department will see Marvin Phillip, Adrian Foncette and newboy, Danish-born custodian Nicklas Frederup contesting for the starting spot.

There will be a live radio broadcast on I95.5FM.

Live Stream: https://mycujoo.tv/video/iran?id=29452

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2018, 06:23:10 AM »
La Forrest expects good performance against Iran.
By Walter Alibey (Guardian).

For­mer na­tion­al coach Ron La For­rest is ex­pect­ing a good per­for­mance from the T&T foot­ball team when it faces Iran in an in­ter­na­tion­al friend­ly match at the Aza­di Sta­di­um in Tehran Iran to­day.

La For­rest, who al­so coached at all lev­els of foot­ball in T&T, is pre­dict­ing a re­turn of the good days in T&T foot­ball, which could be­come a re­al­i­ty be­cause of the play­ers' pos­i­tive re­sponse to the coach Den­nis Lawrence.

"The more in­ter­na­tion­al friend­ly match­es the team plays, the more the play­ers will jell as a unit and im­prove the qual­i­ty of foot­ball they can pro­duce," La For­rest ex­plained.

He said, "As a coach, I do not make pre­dic­tions, but the good thing is that be­cause the play­ers have been re­spond­ing to Lawrence's style of coach­ing, it will be up to him to de­cide what he wants the play­ers to do in the match, and how. "

Lawrence has called up un­der-20 strik­er Isa­iah Lee for the en­counter, along­side oth­er key play­ers such At­taulah Guer­ra from Charleston Bat­tery in the Unit­ed States, Ger­man-based winger Jo­evin Jones, Sau­di Ara­bia based duo of Lester Pelti­er and Daneil Cyrus, and de­fend­er Shel­don Bateau who plays pro­fes­sion­al­ly in Kaza­khstan.

"I think the play­ers have a nice fa­ther fig­ure in Den­nis Lawrence who has been strict and very pro­fes­sion­al as he car­ries out his du­ties as a coach. We will win some and lose some, but I ex­pect that there will be grad­ual progress un­til even­tu­al­ly, we will have a strong team," La For­rest ex­plained fur­ther.

La For­rest who has guid­ed Guaya Unit­ed to a clean sweep of the League and all oth­er ti­tles at stake in the 2017 edi­tion of the T&T Su­per League, told Guardian Me­dia Sports the win­ner of the match will be de­ter­mined by who clicks on the day.

He said, "Iran has a very strong team but in foot­ball, it is very un­pre­dictable. I can­not and will not at­tempt to sug­gest what type of foot­ball Lawrence should play, but whether they go out strong in at­tack or play from a steady de­fence, will all be de­ter­mined by the ap­proach Lawrence wants to take to­mor­row."

T&T went down to Thai­land 2-0 in their last in­ter­na­tion­al friend­ly match in Thai­land re­cent­ly, and ac­cord­ing to Lawrence, he will be go­ing af­ter a pos­i­tive re­sult to­mor­row.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2018, 07:02:33 AM »
Iran vs Trinidad and Tobago - Recycled optimism and repeated clichés
By Chambi Se
y

As the Soca Warriors prepare to kick-off yet another solitary international friendly, during a nine day international match window that ordinarily would accommodate two matches, there is no palpable excitement surrounding the fixture. In its essence, football should stimulate an enthusiastic appetite in the days building-up to a match. However, followers of the game in Trinidad and Tobago have suffered descending spirals of incivic discourse, poor stewardship and wanting governance that have to an undeniable degree impacted the body of work presented by national teams as representative of “our football”.

In short, the principal player off the field has sucked the oxygen out of the stadium and precipitated multiple causes of action that have directed the public’s attention to the lowest common denominators, while propelling any remaining prestige into the negative. And, those who ought to be the game’s main protagonists – the actual players – have hemorrhaged through a litany of indignities. Consequently, progress within domestic football has been recalibrated to match the descending spirals of inept outcomes that masquerade as competent leadership decisions laced with bad luck. Nonetheless, within a space of tempered expectations,  once again Trinidad and Tobago is bestowed with the responsibility of providing good opposition for an Iranian national team, prior to Iran’s participation at a major tournament. And, once again, unsurprisingly, optimism or self-deception is being recycled in a broadly unserviceable and dysfunctional environment. 

In June 2014, the Soca Warriors assisted Iran in its preparation matches for that year’s World Cup in Brazil. Grouped with Argentina, Nigeria and Bosnia and Herzegovina, Iran sought an opponent that, at optimum, would approximate, rather than necessarily replicate, elements of the playing rendition expected of the Super Eagles. At that time, in discussing Trinidad and Tobago in anticipation of the match-up, Carlos Queiroz, the head coach, stated: “I know the team, I know the players, I know the quality of the players, the technique, the power, the speed and it was not possible to find another team similar to the problems that for sure Nigeria will create against us. So to play this game with Trinidad and Tobago is something very important for our preparation and I want to [say] thank you to the federation of Trinidad [and Tobago] and all the support, the availability to come here and play against us and in these conditions and we’ll keep Trinidad and Tobago in our hearts for sure because to be part of our preparation was something fantastic for us.”

Iran won the official but closed-door match by two handy goals that punctuated the end of the first half and the early phase of the second half. During the World Cup, in a match that featured significantly superior possession by the Africans by more than a ratio of 2 to 1, the Iranians achieved an encouraging point from a goalless draw against Nigeria. The same eleven starters assigned by Queiroz to face Trinidad and Tobago at Corinthians’ training complex had been employed versus Nigeria, although the responsibilities assigned to Ashkan Dejagah and Ehsan Hajsafi were modified.

In the succeeding group stage match against Argentina, the Iranians lost in stoppage time due to a memorable combination of Messi’s brilliance and tactical error that would have amused Arjen Robben. In that match, aside from the introduction of Masoud Shojaei as the "10", Iran made no other personnel changes to its favored XI, but again tweaked roles and responsibilities. In light of Trinidad and Tobago’s perennial difficulty with maintaining consistent and sustained possession of the ball, Queiroz’s equating premise regarding Nigeria and Trinidad and Tobago, may have flattered the Soca Warriors but, from an Iranian perspective, there was certain utility in having played the outing. Nonetheless, there's little doubt that another CAF candidate could have been sourced for the purpose (other than Angola, who were sourced), even given the question of preserving confidentiality in preparing for the group stage matches.

On this present occasion, Iran is in preparation for the Asian Football Confederation (AFC) Cup in which it is grouped with immediate neighbor Iraq, regional neighbor Yemen and Vietnam. Perhaps the wily Queiroz has identified another useful compatibility between the Soca Warriors and one of these opponents. Or, perhaps the Soca Warriors are merely amenable rather than preferred opponents, as they were when Trinidad and Tobago travelled to Ecuador in 2017. Either way, Queiroz soon will be equipped to make a direct comparison of his charges because Iraq plays Bolivia next week - an opponent Iran defeated at the Azadi Stadium during the window of October friendlies (2-1).

Although the respected Portuguese coach remains at the helm of Iran, there are not many holdover players from the engagement against Iran in São Paulo. Of the squad currently assembled for Trinidad and Tobago’s match in Tehran, only Sheldon Bateau, Ataulla Guerra, Khaleem Hyland, and Lester Peltier (starters), Joevin Jones (subbed in) and Curtis Gonzales (an unused substitute) were present for the previous proceeding. Lamentably, Marvin Phillip departed Brazil prematurely due to a loss in his family, leaving Jan-Michael Williams to boss custodian duties. In contrast, on this occasion, there is a full complement of three goalkeepers in attendance and Phillip has the opportunity of finally playing against the Iranians. In 2014, Trinidad and Tobago started Williams, Abu Bakr, Bateau, Marshall, Justin Hoyte, Hyland, Boucaud, Molino, Peltier, Guerra and Kenwyne Jones. Kevan George, Gavin Hoyte, Marcus Joseph and Trevin Caesar also featured as substitutes.

In comments following the 2014 friendly, then national team coach Stephen Hart identified several characteristics of the Soca Warriors’ play that could be instructive in assessing whether performances as a national team have evolved in any meaningful way since his departure. According to Hart, on June 8, 2014, the Soca Warriors were predictable in attack, played too slowly in the attacking third, exhibited possession that lacked penetration, and failed to recognize how/when to place the Iranians under pressure. Optimistically, we were taking the long view and regarded the closed-door affair as an early stage of our 2018 Russia preparations. Then TTFA president Raymond Tim Kee opined: “I think the match comes at a really good time and will be a fantastic opportunity for our current national senior team to experience playing such a game just mere days before the start of the World Cup and in the country where all the action will be taking place. I am excited by this and it will allow our country’s national flag to be flown in Brazil, which is always a proud moment”. He continued by noting “this game will hopefully go a long way in helping prepare our players for our upcoming Caribbean Cup campaign later this year and for our 2018 Russia World Cup campaign.”

Off the field is on the field

When the national team plays abroad, it is difficult for fans to gain an appreciation of the milieu in which matches are occurring. Frequently, it is important to be attentive to what is taking place in the hosting space because cultural, economic, political and social realities often present real-time information that impacts the context in which matches are distilled. Notably, according to Rensmann and Abdolmohammadi, writing in the Washington Post during the Brazil World Cup, "soccer has now become one of the most significant, contested and politicized arenas of Iranian social and cultural life." This assertion is not exclusively evident in the battle of women to access Iran's stadia. At the moment, other developments are occurring on the margins of Trinidad and Tobago’s second friendly against Iran within four and a half years. Despite current preparations, Iran’s participation at the AFC Asian Cup, slated to commence in the United Arab Emirates in January 2019, is formally in jeopardy because the Majlis, Iran’s constituent parliamentary body, has affirmed a law that is regarded as encroaching on the principle of non-governmental and parliamentary interference in the conduct of federation operations. Specifically, the law precludes retirees from being employed by entities that receive state funds or utilize state facilities and the Majlis has construed the FFIRI, Iran's federation, as a “non-government public body”.

Mahdi Taj, president of the federation and other functionaries are said to be potentially impacted by the law that impinges on FIFA and the AFC’s rejection of third-party influence in the management, direction and governance of national federations. The AFC has issued a statement expressing concern about the parliament’s designation of the FFIRI as a non-government public body and the employment of retired persons. Zero tolerance has been confirmed as a guiding principle on any such interference that would threaten or compromise the independent conduct of the federation.         

Jlloyd Samuel tribute

The friendly occurs six months from the day of the passing of Jlloyd Samuel and it is fitting that both federations have concurred on honoring a player who bravely ventured into Iranian domestic football and contributed to its credibility. Samuel, a player who did not need to be naturalized to play for Trinidad and Tobago, merited significantly more caps than he earned. In the future, perhaps this discrepancy will provide guidance in the handling of future native sons and daughters who have achieved abroad, or in a less cynical and reluctant embrace of foreign-born players. Maybe Chris Birchall should be tasked with that ambassadorial portfolio because it seems to present a deceptively challenging task for decision-makers who hold pecuniary interests in local-based players.

At some point, it would be responsible to reciprocate by hosting Iran in Trinidad and Tobago. Clearly, that point would intersect with the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA)  being in enhanced financial health and capable of being a proper host. It should also intersect with our ability to return sizeable crowds to the national stadium.

Maybe when football's funding model changes, there will be fewer convenient clichés and more frontal assessments regardless of who is willing to fit the bill. Meanwhile, but for these invitations to play abroad, there would be no meaningful activity on the international match calendar.

Regardless of the opponent, pre-match preparation interviews seem to be packed with the same repeated clichés and recycled optimism that are not necessarily grounded in reality but which have been determined to present well to the viewership. Going into this battle versus Iran, the attentive follower should be careful to assess whether we are in yet another well-intended cycle of going through the motions.

As the saying goes, it's always a pleasure and a privilege to represent the national team. As the other saying goes, at what costs?

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2018, 08:32:03 AM »
Trinidad and Tobago Starting XI vs Iran
1. Marvin Phillip (GK), 16. Alvin Jones, 4. Sheldon Bateau, 5. Daniel Cyrus, 18. Triston Hodge, 8. Khaleem Hyland (capt.), 23. Leston Paul, 3. Joevin Jones, 11. Lester Peltier, 10. Ataulla Guerra, 19. Nathan Lewis
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 08:47:48 AM by Tallman »

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2018, 08:32:30 AM »
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2018, 08:44:55 AM »
We look competent so far...but d ref already showing he hand IMO

Sent from my BLU STUDIO C 8+8 using Tapatalk

I pity the fool....

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2018, 08:48:13 AM »
Dat shoulda be ah card

I pity the fool....

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2018, 08:55:34 AM »
...but d ref already showing he hand IMO

yep >:( :bs: :bs:
I pity the fool....

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2018, 09:06:38 AM »
Nice save off d pen

I pity the fool....

Offline Jayerson

• Hero Warrior
  • Gunners for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2018, 09:07:32 AM »
Nice save off d pen

Poor penalty also.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2018, 09:08:26 AM »
Nice save off d pen

Poor penalty also.
Yep

I pity the fool....

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2018, 09:20:53 AM »
Nice run by peltier sweet cross

I pity the fool....

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 15, 2018, 09:23:16 AM »
HALF-TIME: Iran 0-0 Trinidad and Tobago. Penalty save by Marvin Phillip in the 32nd minute from Karim Ansarifard.

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 15, 2018, 09:24:12 AM »
Nice save off d pen

Poor penalty also.

And lackadaisical follow-up on the rebound.

Offline Jayerson

• Hero Warrior
  • Gunners for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 15, 2018, 09:43:24 AM »
1 - 0 Iran.

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 15, 2018, 09:44:45 AM »
GOAL: Karim Ansarifard gives Iran a 1-0 lead over Trinidad and Tobago. #IRNvTRI #SocaWarriors #InternationalFriendly

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 15, 2018, 10:26:29 AM »
FULL-TIME: Iran 1-0 Trinidad and Tobago. Goal by Karim Ansarifard (50').

Offline Jayerson

• Hero Warrior
  • Gunners for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 15, 2018, 10:31:39 AM »
Venezuela playing Qatar. To this day, I am confused as to why we do not play Venezuela in Trinidad, surely we would get a decent turnout for that game with the amount of Venezuelans in Trinidad.

1]; } ?>