April 18, 2024, 06:32:53 AM

Author Topic: Quotes in Football Thread  (Read 1045 times)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Quotes in Football Thread
« on: December 31, 2018, 12:15:00 PM »
2018 in Quotes

“Mr Bonucci and Mr Chiellini could go to Harvard University to give classes about how to be a central defender” – Mourinho explains why Manchester United could not beat Juventus in the Champions League.

“His first touch is like a trampoline. He’s not going to make it” – former Republic of Ireland striker and Perth Glory’s Andy Keogh on Usain Bolt’s prospects as a footballer.

“I have some bad news” – Arsène Wenger breaks the news to his squad that he is to step down at Arsenal.

“I honestly did not know that no one can smoke in the stadium. I apologise to everyone” – Diego Maradona after lighting up a sizeable Cuban in the stands during Argentina v Iceland. Ten days later, he was treated by paramedics after appearing to collapse during the country’s victory over Nigeria.

“It is just shameful that so much time could be lost over one player. The delay for one player lasted four minutes, and that is a lesson for even children who play. This should be a game of men and not so much clowning around” – Mexico boss Juan Carlos Osorio speaks for the world when discussing Neymar’s play-acting.

“I am German when we win but I am an immigrant when we lose” – Mesut Özil retires from international duty, citing racism as one of his reasons.

“3-0, 3-0. Do you know what this is? 3-0. But it also means three Premierships and I won more Premierships alone than the other 19 managers together. Three for me and two for them two [Pep Guardiola and Manuel Pellegrini]. So respect man, respect, respect, respect” – José Mourinho demands respect from Guardian reporter Jamie Jackson.

“I am the manager of one of the greatest clubs in the world but I am also one of the greatest managers in the world … Did you read any philosopher? You spent time reading Hegel? Just as an example Hegel says: ‘The truth is in the whole,’ is always in the whole” – Mourinho again, turning to philosophy.

“Memphis? He came on at Stoke away and messed up for their goal so Louis van Gaal made him play for the reserves the next day. I said, ‘Look, it’s a bit difficult [for you]. Just don’t come in with all your fancy stuff’.’ And he turned up for the reserve game in his Rolls-Royce, wearing a leather jacket and a cowboy hat. And I just thought, ‘What’s the point?’” – Wayne Rooney on where it all went wrong for Memphis Depay at Manchester United.

“He was on a protein diet so we had a chicken curry. He even had a cup of tea. He beat us all at Fifa and then we watched Match of the Day. It was a really nice evening” – N’Golo Kanté spends an evening at a fan’s house after missing his Eurostar from St Pancras after Chelsea’s 4-1 win over Cardiff.

“No” – Ada Hegerberg responds to DJ Martin Solveig asking her to twerk after she won the inaugural women’s Ballon d’Or.

“Dear Los Angeles, You’re Welcome” – a full-page ad taken out by Zlatan Ibrahimovic in the LA Times as he signs for the Galaxy

(Sourced from the Guardian)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 01:35:57 PM by Flex »

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
Re: 2018 in Quotes
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2018, 12:55:34 PM »

“His first touch is like a trampoline. He’s not going to make it” – former Republic of Ireland striker and Perth Glory’s Andy Keogh on Usain Bolt’s prospects as a footballer.

“I am German when we win but I am an immigrant when we lose” – Mesut Özil retires from international duty, citing racism as one of his reasons.

“I am the manager of one of the greatest clubs in the world but I am also one of the greatest managers in the world … Did you read any philosopher? You spent time reading Hegel? Just as an example Hegel says: ‘The truth is in the whole,’ is always in the whole” – Mourinho again, turning to philosophy.

“Memphis? He came on at Stoke away and messed up for their goal so Louis van Gaal made him play for the reserves the next day. I said, ‘Look, it’s a bit difficult [for you]. Just don’t come in with all your fancy stuff’.’ And he turned up for the reserve game in his Rolls-Royce, wearing a leather jacket and a cowboy hat. And I just thought, ‘What’s the point?’” – Wayne Rooney on where it all went wrong for Memphis Depay at Manchester United.

“Dear Los Angeles, You’re Welcome” – a full-page ad taken out by Zlatan Ibrahimovic in the LA Times as he signs for the Galaxy

(Sourced from the Guardian)

Good one Seeker.

These are my favourites.

Must say, I am glad to see Jose Mourinho go.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 01:19:09 AM by Cocorite »
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2018, 02:02:42 PM »
Since yuh call dong a few Mourinhos ;D ...

"When I was 20 years old, I was nobody in football. I was somebody's son. What I was with, a lot of pride, when I was 20 years old was somebody's son. You know? And now, with 55, I am what I am, I did what I did because of work, because of my talent and because of my mentality. You know, I understand that for many, many, many, many, many, many years, it was really, really hard for the people that doesn't like me. 'Here he is again', 'here he wins again,' 'here he is again', 'here he wins again', so for 10 months I win nothing. For 10 months, I win nothing. The last title I won was 10 months ago, you know? I beat Liverpool, I beat Chelsea, I lose against Sevilla and now is their moment to be happy. OK, I also learned that in my religious formation be happy with others happiness even if the others are your enemies. So be with it. I am a very lucky guy and I am really happy to be what I am."

"I am not going to run away, I am not going to disappear, I am not going to cry because I heard a few boos."

" ... And the good thing for me and the amazing feeling for me is that I am (on) exactly in the same page as the owners, as (executive vice-chairman) Mr (Ed) Woodward, as (managing director) Mr (Richard) Arnold. We are exactly in the same page. We agree in everything. We know that we have a process. We agree in the investments, we agree that we have what we have, the investments we are going to do are going to be progressively season after season. We need more than the investments, we need also the time. We are exactly in the same page."

--- Mourinho speaking in March 2018 before Manchester United's quarterfinal match versus Brighton in the FA Cup.

Famous last words.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2018, 02:49:35 PM »
"I am happy for Toronto because they will be remembered as my 500th victim."
LA Galaxy forward Zlatan Ibrahimovic after scoring the 500th goal of his career, speaking with TSN.

"In the end, football is a long trip. You win. You lose. You embarrass yourself. You make mistakes. You laugh, you cry. You do dumb things to pass the time. Maybe you and your teammates even set an assistant coach’s motorcycle on fire (before buying him a brand new one, of course … I’ll leave that story for another time!) Hopefully, you grow from a boy to a man. This is what makes sports beautiful, for me. It’s all just one long story." --- Barcelona and Spain defender Gerard Pique writes in The Players' Tribune.

"No-one has been on the bench more than me." --- Newly-appointed Manchester United caretaker manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer on how he will manage squad rotation at Old Trafford during his introductory press conference.

"I believe that Messi will be the greatest player of all time, even if he isn’t already. Messi has been playing since he was a kid and always at the absolute top, top level and he never wavers. It would be a good idea to create a trophy in the future for the best player of that season that has Messi’s name on it." --- La Liga President Javier Tebas says he would consider naming the league's most valuable player award after Barcelona star Lionel Messi.

"The key was to be disciplined and to follow our tactical game plan fully, and our players did exactly that. We tried to stop the ball from reaching Messi and to contain him quickly in the areas where he likes to receive the ball. As good as Messi is, football is a team sport and if one team performs better than the other it's hard for any individual to turn everything around. Croatia were just a better team than Argentina in that game." --- Croatia coach Zlatko Dalic speaking about how his team contained Messi at the 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia.

"Somehow, some way, you need to decide a winner." - Colombia coach Jose Pekerman, when asked whether the disciplinary record rule, which saw Japan into the last 16 and Senegal exit the tournament, was fair.

"It is our commitment to fair play that has got us through." - Japan Football Association president Kozo Tashima on the controversial defensive tactics that saw Japan reach the last 16.

"I don’t train harder than other players, but I will say this: every day that I go to training, I want to be the best there. I want to shoot the best, I want to run the fastest, I want to head the ball the best, I want to be the first to every ball. I want other people to look at me and think ‘why does she still have such a desire after all that time in football and after winning so many things?’ Because I know that by projecting this attitude and searching this out, that I will find something new to learn every day." --- The Best FIFA Women's Player 2018 Marta talks about what it takes to stay at the top, in an exclusive interview with FIFA.com

"I have learned that the biggest stars and the greatest players are the most humble ones, the ones who respect people the most. There are three criteria: respect, humility and lucidity. My mother has always told me that to become a great football player, you must be before all a great man." --- Kylian Mbappe, winner of the FIFA Young Player Award at Russia 2018, in an interview with Time Magazine.

"That’s the beautiful thing about football, isn’t it? Whatever is going on in your life, you completely forget about it when the ball is at your feet." --- Olympique Lyon and Norway forward Ada Hegerberg in The Players' Tribune.

1]; } ?>