April 16, 2024, 05:50:45 PM

Author Topic: Halifax Wanderers FC Thread  (Read 10646 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Halifax Wanderers FC Thread
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2019, 04:43:54 PM »

The Trini quartet of Jan-Michael Williams, Akeem Garcia, Andre Rampersad, and Elton John make their debut tonight in the Canadian Premier League with Halifax Wanderers FC as they face off against Pacific FC.

Jan-Michael Williams and Elton John named as co-captains of Halifax Wanderers FC.

The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2019, 10:39:12 PM »
What was the score?

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2019, 10:52:20 PM »
What was the score?

They lost 1-0
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2019, 02:16:00 AM »

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2019, 05:20:55 AM »
Jan didn't look good on that goal.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2019, 07:14:56 PM »
WATCH: Together From Aways - The Documentary - Part 1 | HFX

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/TJ0LZo0RClM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/TJ0LZo0RClM</a>

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2019, 11:22:31 AM »
Then we sit and wonder why we are suck so bad at international sports and why countries like jamaica are always ahead of us in their respective sporting disciplines and has the respect of the world in that regard? and who could fault them, they put in the work and has the support of citizens who take pride in the sport and is willing to put their money where their mouth is.

just go to Jamaica during their athletic season and see if you could get a ticket in the National stadium to watch track and field and especially on days where the 100 and 200 is taking place, you will be locked out the stadium, but in trinidad our stadium is empty like the grand canyon where you could hear the echoing of voices, no kidding.

take a look at these canadians, their first season with no attachment to their team and you could already see the passion like the league has been in existence for a century. I went to a couple pro league games in trinidad and TBH there was no vibe no ambiance and very few in attendance, and they were not supporters of the respective teams but just football fans in general.

I told a friend of mine that this will never work, they must take football into the communities by building very small community grounds and the private sector has to be on board and the govt has to offer tax insentives to businesses who are willing to support teams financially. and this is no brain storm or rocket science, this is rudimentary thinking towards the basic success of any sporting league.

and you would think these dummies in trinidad would get it right.......but then again it’s trinidad where everyone’s an expert in their own head. these people love to think of themselves as patriotic and efficient when in fact nothing could be farther from the truth, they thrive on showing each other up instead of working together. there is no collective reasoning or revolutionary thought for the greater good of the anything that benefits the nation in general, very poor thinking indeed, no wonder we suck at every sporting discipline.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 11:55:07 AM by pull stones »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2020, 12:05:20 PM »
WATCH: Catching up with Halifax Wanderers duo, striker Akeem Garcia and midfielder/captain Andre Rampersad.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/TlAhWZN545Y" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/TlAhWZN545Y</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2022, 03:17:45 PM »
Two Trinidadian players follow their dreams with HFX Wanderers as club struggles with immigration red tape
By Nebal Snan (saltwire.com)

Moving to Canada to play with the HFX Wanderers FC was “an opportunity of a lifetime” for Akeem Garcia.

But the journey to become one of the best players in the team didn’t come without challenges.

“The transition for me when I just came here was a bit hard because I've never really played on turf before. So, I had to get up to speed with that,” he said.

Garcia’s passion for soccer started in front of the television watching games with his family. He soon joined Arima Ball Masters, the soccer club in his small hometown of Arima in Trinidad.

Andre Rampersad, his fellow countryman and captain of the Wanderers, also started young.

“I first started getting into football at a pretty young age at probably like seven years old. You know, just playing in the street with some friends and … I played with the team at the school.”

Garcia and Rampersad continued following their dreams on the soccer field, but their paths didn’t cross until they played in the same Trinidadian team, FC Santa Rosa, where Rampersad had been playing for five years.

“Me and Akeem weren't really super close friends. I've heard of him. He's heard of me. But we weren't close friends until before we came here.”

The players are now getting ready together for their fourth season with the HFX Wanderers.

“I can see us doing really well in the season, even going on to win it too,” said Rampersad.

Growing with the league

Garcia and Rampersad have been with the Wanderers since the team’s inauguration in 2019. That year also marked the Canadian Premier League’s (CPL) first season.

Garcia scored the team’s first goal ever and finished the CPL season with seven goals under his belt, becoming the top scorer for the team in 2019.

Fan reception of his performance that year is a “memory that will live (with him) for a lifetime,” he said.

Both Rampersad and Garcia were ranked among the top players in the league that year. As the CPL enters its fourth season, things have changed on and off the pitch.

“The league has become harder. … Better players are coming into the league. And the league is getting more exposure,” said Garcia, who is the Wanderer’s striker.

“It's at a high level, and it's definitely growing, and it will keep growing.”

After struggling with injuries in 2021, Garcia said he is ready to bounce back.

“I'm taking care of that and just working hard, … working on my fitness a lot, too. And it's getting better so far. I know what I have to do in order to get back on top again,” he said.

As a midfielder for the Wanderers, Rampersad has played the second highest number of minutes in the entire CPL league in 2021. He’s also had 224 recoveries, the highest number in the league by a significant margin. A recovery is when a player regains possession of the ball after it had been held by the opposing team.

“I enjoy the role for sure. And I'm not the type to like the hype, so I'm just doing it for my team. And that's the main thing for me.

Finding comfort

Off the pitch, the friendship between the players has become stronger.

“In a different country playing a professional sport, you look out for each other and then eventually, when we were roommates, then everything just become natural. And now we just laugh at the same things,” said Rampersad.

The two players haven’t been able to find many people in Halifax who come from Trinidad, said Garcia. Without a community in the city, Garcia and Rampersad found themselves missing the people and food from back home.

Being miles away during a pandemic, Garcia could only FaceTime his family as often as he could.

Rampersad learned how to cook some of his favourite dishes.

“A big dish is actually curry and I kind of trained myself to cook it a lot. I try over and over to make it and just keep getting better,” he said.

“I grew up with my grandma and … we would always get home cooked meals and stuff. … I definitely miss that a lot; I miss her.”

Despite the challenges, they are both grateful to play soccer as a career — an option that Rampersad said is not viable for many players in Trinidad.

“The quality of the players, and I always say this, where I'm from, we have a lot of quality. … It's just harder climbing the ladder,” he said.

“In Trinidad, I think maybe most of the times, especially now, … you probably have to get a job to make ends meet with the soccer.”

Helping players feel at home

Although soccer has universal rules, the playing style can vary by country. Even with years of professional soccer under his belt, Garcia needed some time to adapt to the CPL at the beginning.

“Home is a bit more rough, a bit more stronger. But here it's more technical; it’s faster,” said Garcia.

Matt Fegan, the sporting director with the Wanderers, said the team do their best to ensure a smooth start for international players, including pre-negotiating apartments, helping players get a driver’s licence and providing interpreters. They also connected one of their players who has an engineering degree with firms in the city

“The more we can make them feel at home, the easier it is for them to just do their job on the pitch because they're not having to think of other things,” he said.

The club, with the help of an immigration lawyer, also handles the immigration paperwork required to bring the players into Canada. International players require a work permit to play professional soccer.

Although the club could sign multi-year contracts with a player, their immigration status makes renewals “an arduous process.”

“The work permits are usually only issued for either a one year or a two-year term, which means that each off-season, we're dealing with people having to get a visa renewal.”

“Especially with the pandemic, with the border restrictions, it's been a very big challenge,” said Fegan.

Processing delays an issue

Canada’s immigration department has been grappling with a backlog of applications, including work permits, student permits, and permanent residency paperwork, exacerbated by the COVID-19 pandemic.

The Wanderers is experiencing the effects of the backlog, which Fegan described as a “huge issue.” Recently, the club faced increased wait times as they tried to obtain work permits for two new players from Brazil and Jamaica.

Some Wanderers players who came to Canada as international students a few years ago are in the process of applying for a permanent residency (PR) card. Like many international students who want to stay in Canada, the players have to go through the complicated bureaucracy of the Canadian immigration system.

Fegan said the players first tried to apply through the Atlantic Immigration Pilot Program, now called the Atlantic Immigration Program, which requires applicants to have worked at least 1,560 hours with pay full time or part time. The players found out they hadn’t accumulated enough hours, he said, so they reapplied through another immigration stream.

The players’ applications have been in processing for 13 months. Before the pandemic, processing times for PR applications averaged six months.

“We're not just attracting players to come in and leave. It's actually they're coming in and want to stay here,” said Fegan.

“It's going to take a bit of time but hopefully comes through.”

The Wanderers will also benefit from the players receiving the PR. The CPL, said Fegan, only allows the club to have seven international players at a time.

“If I can convert an international to a domestic player, now I can go and find two more internationals to bring to the region, raise the calibre of the league,” he said.

The Wanderers play their first match of the season against York United FC in Toronto on April 7.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2022, 11:40:12 AM »
HFX Wanderers wrestling with immigration red tape
By Glenn MacDonald (Halifax Chronicle Herald)

Akeem Garcia and Andre Rampersad had the opportunity to play for their home country of Trinidad and Tobago.

Garcia, the HFX Wanderers’ star striker, and Rampersad, the Canadian Premier League side’s captain and cornerstone at midfield, were asked to join the national football team for its upcoming CONCACAF Nations League series of matches.

But immigration red tape has kept the international players from leaving their pro club and adoptive home.

“They unfortunately had to decline those invitations because the time it would have taken to get their work permit and travel visas renewed, it wouldn’t have been feasible with the time line,” Matt Fegan, the Wanderers’ sporting director, said in an interview earlier this week.

“While that would’ve been processing, they were not allowed to leave the country. They were supposed to be involved in some upcoming international games, but they had to pass up the opportunity unfortunately.

“The risk could be that if they leave the country, they may not be able to get back in for about four months.”

Canada’s immigration department has been grappling with a backlog of applications, including work permits, student permits and permanent residency paperwork, exacerbated by the COVID-19 pandemic.

The Wanderers and their international players – who require a work permit to play pro soccer in Canada and a travel visa to leave and re-enter the country – are experiencing the effects of the backlog.

“It’s definitely frustrating,” Fegan said. “There are certain options that we have explored.”

One option was flagpoling, where temporary residents could go to the Canada-U.S. border, immediately do a U-turn after crossing – travel around the flagpole – and return to Canada.

It’s done to expedite obtaining a renewed work permit, instead of waiting the weeks or months it takes to get an answer after applying online or in person.

“The risk is that the border agents that day might say no or say no but still start the application process and then you can’t go back in,” Fegan said.

“The priority for them is they want to stay in the country and earn their money. The spirits are down but at the same time they have accessed the risks.”

While Garcia and Rampersad must forgo an opportunity to represent their country, two of their Wanderers teammates have been waiting over a year for their permanent residency.

Forward Corey Bent and centre-back Peter Schaale, who each played four seasons of Atlantic university soccer at Cape Breton University before turning pro, came to Canada as international students.

Like many international students who want to stay in Canada, the players must go through the complicated bureaucracy of the Canadian immigration system. The players’ applications have been in processing for 16 months. Before the pandemic, processing times for permanent residency applications averaged six months.

“They’ve been working towards it for two years now,” Fegan said. “From our perspective, we’re trying to help them for the years beyond their football lives where they can stay in Canada and build a life here.

“There was a cutoff point – February 2021 – where permanent residents would be considered domestic players in our league. We got the paperwork in to start the process before that date. But it’s been over 16 months now. I understand the reasoning for it. There’s a backlog from COVID when the borders were closed. And then there’s the expedited invitations for Ukrainian refugees and Afghanistan refugees. It’s a backlog of different priority cases.”

The Wanderers will benefit from the players having their permanent residency.

The CPL allows each club to have seven international players at a time. When Bent and Schaale finally receive their permanent residency, because the paperwork was filed before the league’s cutoff date of February 2021, they will then be considered as domestic players.

“When those PRs go through, they will become domestics and it will open up two international spots,” Fegan said. “It will give us a chance to look overseas and beyond just the Canadian talent pool.”

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2022, 02:42:21 PM »
https://northerntribune.ca/halifax-wanderers-playoff-2022/

Halifax Wanderers Eliminated From Playoff Contention
BY JOHN JACQUES ON SEPTEMBER 27, 2022  0  264 VIEW

Halifax’s local Canadian Premier League team has been eliminated from playoffs following a coast-to-coast clash against reigning champion Pacific FC.

The two-nil home defeat came through a twice-delayed match at Wanderers Ground following storm Fiona, with the Pacific win also seeing York United eliminated.

It’s been a tough season for the Halifax Wanderers, with the result also ensuring they will finish on with no more points than they managed to procure a year prior.

The east coast CPL team has enjoyed rapturous fan support despite struggling to put out a consistent result on the pitch, with no back-to-back wins having come with two games left to play. The team did bring in a number of midseason reinforcements in an effort to get itself over the finish line, but they came to no avail.

The east coast side’s biggest struggle has been putting the ball into the net, with the team’s 22 goal tally clocking in as the league’s lowest outside of an already eliminated, ownerless FC Edmonton side.

With 10 of these 22 goals coming from the penalty spot, the club’s lack of tenacity in open play will be an expected improvement next year.

The team’s defensive acumen isn’t much better, with only FC Edmonton doing worse in terms of goals against – though Kieran Baskett has done well after stepping in during the closing stage of the season.

Things weren’t helped when star playmaker Joao Morelli – who won the league’s MVP award last year and procured the majority of the team’s goals – was ruled out for the season just a few matches in, causing the club to dig deeply for a suitable replacement.

While Fumpa Mwande and a contingent of mid-season reinforcements eventually found their way out east, the results didn’t follow in bulk.

Things weren’t helped when star playmaker Joao Morelli – who won the league’s MVP award last year and procured the majority of the team’s goals – was ruled out for the season just a few matches in, causing the club to dig deeply for a suitable replacement.

While Fumpa Mwande and a contingent of mid-season reinforcements eventually found their way out east, the results didn’t follow in bulk.

This season has seen underlying shouts to replace Stephen Hart as head coach grow in momentum, with some fans of firm belief that the club’s playing mentality and use of substitutions has hindered what may have been an otherwise decent campaign.

Hart is one of just three remaining original head coaches from the league’s launch, with the former Canada and Trinidad and Tobago gaffer earning a coach of the year award following his club’s surprise spring into the CPL Final back in 2020.

That year’s golden boot leader, Akeem Garcia, has suffered a fairly large fall from grace: in the two seasons since, he has procured six goals, just two of which came from open play.

It’s fair to say things have been a tough go since the Island Games: last year saw the club loosen its grip on playoffs late into the season, with York United eventually nabbing the final playoff spot after a string of poor results out east.

With the club now falling short of playoffs yet again, it’ll be interesting to see how the east coast side reshapes itself ahead of the 2023 Canadian Premier League season, where it’s expected to have CPL star Joao Morelli back in the mix.

The Halifax Wanderers face a tough conclusion to the season with matches against Atletico Ottawa and Forge FC.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

1]; } ?>