April 28, 2024, 10:18:15 PM

Author Topic: TT Sports Hall Of Fame: A lasting tribute to our Athletes & Builders  (Read 11453 times)

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
 In reflecting on the impact our sporting heroes have on our society, I would like to propose that we establish a Sports Hall of fame to  honour and to sustain the legacy of those individuals who have attained a level of success in the sporting field.

Players, managers, builders, promoters and those individuals who have contributed outstanding work in the area of sports will be voted on and inducted into the Hall . I know that our government  acknowledge our sporting heroes and heroines by according  the highest medal or Trinty Cross  to them. We have also parlayed land / house and other such amenities in appreciation. While these gifts of appreciation may serve the individual well and honour  his/her accomplishments, I believe that we need to have a 'shrine' a national  center where we induct individuals for outstanding achievements. We need to create a sysytem in place to sustain the legacy and to have aspiring athletes or supporters see as a tribute to be in the TNT Sports HALL OF FAME.

I am suggesting that we need to do more to have the leagcy of great accomplishments, serve as a pinnacle of great heights  for others to  strive for. These feats must be recorded . exhibited and accessible for all to see and appreciated. The legacy of  accomplishments must be also be a part of our existence. Too often great feats by our nationals are lost and  fade away into oblivion; memories linger and the youths  may not even have an opportunity to experience these honours in a tangible way.

Imagine a Hall of Fame with: videos high light sof great football goals/ games and  victories by our players over the years. Imagine a Hall  of Fame where people could go and browse through great moments, read about our athletes and witness these events  on big screen?

Monuments must withstand the test of time and must remain as a legacy to honour those greats who have contributed to where we are today: The likes of Roger Gibbons and Leslie King ( cycling); Apollo Creed (wrestling);  Wendell Mottley, Hasley Crawford (Track and Field) Jean Pierre  (netball) Brian Lara (cricket) The Srike Squad(football) to just name a few. Consider the greats from the past who could be in here.

Imagine  one such venue where one could take the kids to browse and to read about our sporting heroes of the past? Those who have  sacrificed so much for TNT; those builders (Jack Warner); those who have done so much to sustain and to enrich our sporting heritage (Flex & Tallman).

I am this time advocating to the government and to the general populous that we erect a Special building and begin this ceremony of inducting our sporting heroes not simply having haphazard shrines in  multiple sites. We need a  special place that would pay respect and homage to those who have done so much for this country.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2005, 08:54:47 AM by AlbertaTrini »

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: TT Sports Hall Of Fame
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2005, 09:31:45 PM »
well the sports hall of fame is in the Hasley Crawford..altho some of the pics need to be re done since they very faded
Back in Trini...

Offline ladywarrior

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: TT Sports Hall Of Fame: A lasting tribute to our Athletes & Builders
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2005, 09:50:34 PM »
My grandad is in the first Sports Hall of Fame. It's a shame it's fallen to the wayside. WITCO used to be the sponsor.

We need to fix it up!!
The only thing to fear is fear itself.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2005, 10:05:00 PM »
Lady Warrior, where is this  located?  Was there any induction ceremony attached to this Hall of Fame? Why is it not aplace of special honour? I agree with you , we need to resurrect and have a proper induction ceremony to honour  these individuals.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2005, 10:10:34 PM »
yes there is an induction ceremony...the area was kinda fixed up a little bit and was supposed to have a touch screen computer by it so u can access info on any of the inductees..But in true trini fashion it does not work. It is located in the covered stand section of the Hasley Crawford
Back in Trini...

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2005, 10:25:26 PM »
I am advocating for aseperate building like a sports museum of sorts. Not one that is part of a stadium and is not readily accessible to the general public. This Hall should be a place of regual visit by the general public and thise who would like to see our recorded great feats by our loacl heroes.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2005, 11:36:19 PM »
I totally agree that it shud be in a separate building...i was jus letting u know where it was currently..
Altho sadly knowing trinis this place will not be frequented...Just look at our museum..Barely anyone goes to it. Therefore it will probably be hard to get funding for such a project
Back in Trini...

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2005, 08:53:49 AM »
Good points about the analogy to the museum. This is why I think we ought to begin serious talks about sustaining  and cultivating a legacy of athletic excellence.

By promoting and bringing our athletic endeavours at anational prominence, and making  that HALL an icon of athletic aspirations and achievements, could be  the beginning of shaping our future by honouring our past. Too often we live in presnet 'glory' and once the fire of the achievements have  burned out; so to are the momories.

How could we sustain the flames?

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2005, 12:51:05 PM »
With all the hype and talk of $$$$   in man heads, and man who get  a piece of the action to make bumper stickers and those who  go be on the entourage etc,  we are forgetting in this whole scheme of things is the potential  that this  occassion has for impacting the leagcy  on  our program, our youth and our nation. Once more I implore people to consider and to  begin the talk of a creation of a HALL OF  FAME so as to properly honour our sporting icons who have done so well individually and as a collective  to represent TNT!!!

http://www.socawarriorssc.com/swonline/smf/index.php?topic=7971.0

Let's not dismiss the tremendous power of legacy ; let's get beyond the celebration; the ole talk, the profits and cents ; the alleged scandals; the ole boys network. Let's be progressive in our thinking for our  people , our society, our culture and our legacy. let's use this as an educational tool .

WHAT WOULD PEOPLE SEE?: Imagine school children in the future going on an 'outing' (remember that  word!!) to the TNT SPORTS HALL OF FAME and spending an entire day with video files, cd roms; movies clips,  pictures text  scanning and reading of our national triumphs, struggles and achievements? Imagine the walls decoraed with pictures of our citzens all over waving the falg of victory? imagine  walls covered with email of congratulatory messages ? Imagine the role of this site on our morale? on uniting people in a common gaol on supporting ateam on to victory? All these and more are archives to be cherished and to be documented for the future.

WHAT WOULD PEOPLE READ? Would it be something to recall this WCQ journey as we approach 2010? To read and to scan this forum for these message would be invaluable. Peole let's rise up for the cause and look at this venture.

WHAT WOULD PEOPLE HEAR? all the music  dedicated to the respective athletes and teams; the commentary of games; the legacy of  people who brought us to where we are today.

WHAT WOULD PEOPLE FEEL? the sense of pride, unity, nationalism and ture  TNT tuh the bone.

let's bring this to fuition:

http://www.socawarriorssc.com/swonline/smf/index.php?topic=7971.0

Could we put some serious thought to this? I am  not speaking of isolated pictures and  scripts in a stadium or other separate venues; I am speaking of a  NATIONAL SPORTS MUSEUM!!!!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2005, 01:10:44 PM by AlbertaTrini »

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2005, 01:14:39 PM »
Is this idea just not an important one? or Am I the only one  with this advocacy?

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2005, 01:16:36 PM »
Well you know I totally agree with that. Its about time we as a country truly remember and appreciate our heroes as sadly this culture is almost none existent nowadays
Back in Trini...

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2006, 09:07:55 AM »
Could the  Warrior Nation  be the  supporting body or the driving force to establish a lasting monument to our nation , our heritage our peoples?

Offline sin

• wordspinner
  • Sr. Warrior
  • red GIRL from sando, kairi
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2006, 09:27:31 AM »
My grandad is in the first Sports Hall of Fame. It's a shame it's fallen to the wayside. WITCO used to be the sponsor.

We need to fix it up!!

Yes, so is mine. I remember after he died I went to the Stadium and saw his name engraved on the wall.

Heh  :-\
-be the change you wish to see-

Offline Coach

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
T&T Football Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2006, 07:54:16 PM »
I was reading the post about Latas and the thought came up about how our youths will remember Latas.

If we can go back to the days when T&T first started playing international football we can find much great players that is worth remembering for ever. If you speak to any ball player from different era you will hear names of how great this player was and that player was. I think that these footballer's should have something official to be remembered by and not by a corner lime.

With a Football Hall of Fame in T&T we will be able to remember not only great players but other people who has made a significant contribution to the development and growth of our football.

I don't see it as being a big hall of fame but it will be a start. The selection process should be done by the media and a TTFF committe and you will need a certain amount of votes to get just like the NFL and MLB.

Do you all have some nominations, but since I am from the south, I will nominate John Alleyene in the building category and for players whom I competed against and saw represented our country has made a  contibution is Leoson Lewis and Leroy Spann. For coaching you will have to nominate Beenie and Edgar Vidale.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2006, 02:42:04 AM by Tallman »

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: T&T FOOTBALL HALL OF FAME
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2006, 08:46:19 PM »

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2006, 09:07:14 PM »
Although there is not a football hall of fame,there is a sports hall of fame that includes football.It has several past footballers in it like Jeff Stollmeyer,Willie Rodriquez etc.

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2006, 10:41:43 PM »
I like the idea of a hall of fame dedicated only to football............

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2006, 12:39:24 AM »
I 2nd that !!
Warrior For Life !!

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: T&T Football Hall of Fame
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2006, 02:44:32 AM »
The following footballers are in the Trinidad & Tobago's Sports Hall of Fame:
Achong, Ellis (1984)
Berassa, Kelvin (2004)
Burnett, Rex (1985)
Chambers, George (2000)
Charleau, Delbert (1987)
Charles, Alfred (1984)
Corneal, Alvin (1989)
Cummings, Everald (1989)
Daniel, Joseph (1984)
de la Bastide, Tyrone (1987)
Douglas, Neville (1989)
Franco, Carlton (1995)
Galt, Kenneth (1984)
Gonsalves, Joseph (1985)
Grant, Rolph (1984)
Griffith, Doyle (1989)
Hart, Ivor (1984)
Hinds, Carlton (1985)
Joseph, Allan (1985)
Joseph, Sedley (1985)
Maynard, Arthur (1984)
Nunes, Matthew (2004)
Phillips, Lincoln (1995)
Schjolseth, Thor (1984)
Sookram, Bobby (1995)
Sutherland, John (1989)
Tench, Conrad (1984)
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Madd Ras#13

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: T&T Football Hall of Fame
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2006, 04:01:22 AM »
The following footballers are in the Trinidad & Tobago's Sports Hall of Fame:
Achong, Ellis (1984)
Berassa, Kelvin (2004)
Burnett, Rex (1985)
Chambers, George (2000)
Charleau, Delbert (1987)
Charles, Alfred (1984)
Corneal, Alvin (1989)
Cummings, Everald (1989)
Daniel, Joseph (1984)
de la Bastide, Tyrone (1987)
Douglas, Neville (1989)
Franco, Carlton (1995)
Galt, Kenneth (1984)
Gonsalves, Joseph (1985)
Grant, Rolph (1984)
Griffith, Doyle (1989)
Hart, Ivor (1984)
Hinds, Carlton (1985)
Joseph, Allan (1985)
Joseph, Sedley (1985)
Maynard, Arthur (1984)
Nunes, Matthew (2004)
Phillips, Lincoln (1995)
Schjolseth, Thor (1984)
Sookram, Bobby (1995)
Sutherland, John (1989)
Tench, Conrad (1984)

Aye... I was expectin tuh see de likes of Archibald, De leon and some others in dah list. ah guess dem turn jes en come yet,

how often do dey make addition tuh dah list Tallman(yes i believe u know everything lol)
all dat is necessary is necessary

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
Football Multimedia Museum for construction.
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2006, 03:08:11 PM »
Fellas. Ah almost choke jus' a while ago when Morvant man, on a separate thread, mentioned that he was "too young to remember Jamerson". Mohvah, no offense eh dread, but this brings up a serious serious issue about what we are doing about recording, recycling, replaying and reinforcing the important highlights of our sports history. Is not your fault Mohvah, as your awesome enthusiasm now on this website is IN SPITE OF neglect by our journalists and those supposed to be entrusted with protecting our legacy and preserving it for our youngsters. Yuh tink anybody in Brazil is too young to remember Pele, Careca, Socrates. Yuh think those who just born in Rio hospital eh go know who is Ronaldinho when dey reach age 7, even if he retire by then? Yuh think 25 year olds from Argentina doh know who is Mario Kempes and doh feel a sense of immense pride when he is on the panel hosting the World Cup review show and commenting about latin american football weekly?

This is a crisis of monumental proportions :-[ when men saying they doh know or cyah remember seeing Kerry Jamerson, Leonson Lewis, Dexter Francis. Men debating with no historical context and calling dis one "shittong" and dat one "half-slab". It is catastrophic when men saying that they THINK Latas is a "decent player" after seeing him play in Germany. When asked how dey could say dat shit casually so, then they hit you with the real disaster.....That "where on TV or in what bookstore you could get info on he". Where are the TV clips of Latas in his prime? How often are they shown on TV. Who is in charge of the TV library? What is the policy on programming, re-runs and advertizing. Who says the public does not want to see that and the advertizers won't pay for TV time? If Latas didn't get a little 20 minutes against Paraguay as a glimpse of his genius (at age 38!) he could have left the football scene unknown and would have been discarded into the rubbish dump of history and men go want to debate whether he is a Concacaf great or not. Papayo!

TTT, TV6, Gayelle wha' going on? Actually ah go excuse Gayelle as I think they understand this crisis. We need a Football museum urgently. A super-sized poster by TSTT of Latas and Yorke blowing in de breeze by the Breakfast Shed on Wrightson Rd (& only so accidentally because of a telecom war between TSTT and Digicel) cyah cut it man! What's going on! >:(

One of the reasons that I enjoy this site is precisely because it is an e-museum with cross-talk from people who seem to understand sports, sports heroes and the relevance of their legacy. Videos abound for fleckin' free, for all of us who eh know better. Men take dey time to upload dem ting out of pure unselfish service to an invisible international community. Which other website offers that? Eh? I eh hear yuh?...... All those who never saw Hutson "Barber" Charles (midfield work-horse that Birchall can learn from anyday)..... and those who jog up Lady Chancellor Hill and run past Marlon Morris every evening like he is nobody, have to only watch T&T vs USA 1989 in Torrance, California (the WHOLE GAME for FREE) on the GOLS GALORE TRINBAGO STYLE section. Yes the whole game in 1989!!!!!!!!!!...where Dexter Skeene can be seen running off the bench to hug Hutson Charles. (Yes the same Skeene who we may be inclined to call all kinda expletives) when all he is doing now is trying to pass on his sense of patriotism in a new avenue after the Strike Squad days were over.

So to all those who were being fed formula and drinking ovaltine or munching on a tunnox caramel at the time and whose bandwagonnist parents did not feel it worthwhile to teach dem a little history, well do some damage control now. Sorry if ah coming across cynical, but this topic does geh me real vex. To make matters worse, when I move around at home and tell dem dat I taped several hours of full games and TV highlight clips of the Strike Squad in games that will never be found again (Games against USA, Guate, Costa Rica, Finland, the Lithuanian team Vilnius Zalgaris, games against Paraguay, Elliot-Allen's 35 yard rocket against Finland, Leonson mesmerizing Crystal Palace, the Nov 19 spectacle from start to finish including the music videos, real fleckin' history..... men just steuppss. I go to the National Library to tell them about this and all I get is run around and nobody ready to fund the tape restoration and digitization process. Anyway dais another matter.

Nuff respec' to the young posters out here but it frightens me to know how these young folks can even be in the mood to follow Stern John, Cornell Glenn and Birchall etc without realizing that there was somebody called Earl "spiderman" Carter (who armed the ball as good or better than Jan-Michael Williams), a speedy player called Clint Marcelle and that Cornell was not the first warrior to invent speed. Birchall was not the first player to be ressin' dong long distance laser-guided bullets. Birchall IS my hero but others are too. If we go on like this yuh go hear man saying in 2022 (a nex' 16 years later),.. "who is Yorke, who de hell is Shaka Hislop...Some day in de future yuh go be seeing on a website thread.. "who is da caca-hole called Cornell Glenn coaching that under 16 team... Geh a proper foreign coach nah". It sickens me to my stomach dread.

Next thing that must be said is that this problem of no documentation and reproduction affects me too. I struggle to find info on the stuff my father tells me about.. Squeaky Hinds and Carlton Franco. Ah pick up de papers this week and read about a legend called Chambers and I ask.. what de &(%^. Man go wait until he almost dead dribblin' on heself in a nursing home to acknowledge his contribution? >:( >:(
Is a fleckin' conspiracy o wha?

And guess what, Dis shit doh stop wit' football alone, but I eh going there. I addressin' football right now and I looking to see what can be done about this one finite issue. The National Library did a little something in the heat of the moment of socawarrior fever and I congratulate them for that but there is much more to be done. A separate site needs to be created and funded. And I don't want to hear no crap about depending on Jackula and how the money that he get for it lorse. Steupps! >:(

Imagine some tourism-elligible building filled with artifacts, posters, interviews, moments in time, interactive DVDs and tapes and yes FILMS ABOUT THE ROAD TO GERMANY, ITALY etc. showing how rich the history is and setting the standard for what Dwarika, Whitley, Theobald, Noray and all dem bad boys have to achieve to geh real respec'. Respect does not come from missing practice, then scoring a likkle two by four goal in de Ramjohn and den hanging out in Smoky and Bunty Friday night holdin' yuh crutch on de corner till 2 am when yuh supposed to be preparing for a game on weekend. If yuh Granny coulda hol' yuh by yuh han' when yuh was six and walk you through this "museum", all dis dysfunctional behaviour wouldn'tbe showing up now.

All I can say is thank you Flex, Tallman, Purcell, palos and all those who understand the impact that they have made. Thanks to the computer wiz folks like Grande man, Jah Gol, Store bay Limer and all de res' as the multimedia age upon us now, can take this problem and create a fix that can more than restore the legacy. These "youtmen" can more than fix what de older burnt out fellas cyah do. Leh we think outside the box. Ah done talk.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2006, 10:03:25 AM by dreamer »
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
Re: Football Multimedia Museum for construction.
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2006, 03:30:56 PM »
Damn...THAT IS POST!!

Preach on my brother ... Preach on... :applause: :applause: :chilling: :notworthy: :notworthy: :beermug:

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2006, 09:13:36 AM »
Taken from T&T's Greatest Players section on the home page. palos, Tallman, nuff respect for articles like these. Every now and then I's read in this section to get a little food for thought and geh a little better perspective. This particular article was long so a put just a little piece....Real treasure of info boy

Waxing nostalgic with Carlton "The General" Franco
on: January 10, 2006, 08:29:19 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Waxing nostalgic with Carlton "The General" Franco
Interview by palos, Transcription by Tallman

Sunday, November 27, 2005 at Carlton Franco’s home in Vancouver, Canada

Inducted into the T&T Sports Hall of Fame in 1995, named T&T Sportsman of the year in 1960, former Malvern captain Carlton 'The General' Franco had a short but brilliant career for Trinidad and Tobago from 1957-1963.

palos: socawarriors.net posse, we are here with one of the legends of Trinidad & Tobago football. The legend in question is Carlton “The General” Franco. Mr. Franco, welcome and it is a great honour and pleasure to have you here and I just wanted to say that I am thrilled to have the opportunity to do this interview.
The General: Thank you very much sir.

palos: I have never seen you play football because I am too young, but I have always heard about Carlton “The General” Franco. Where does “The General” nickname come from?
The General: Actually, it happened spontaneously. It was 1960 and my team Malvern was a finalist for all of the trophies; the League Shield, the BDV (Best Dark Virginia) and the FA Trophy and we had to play five games in six days. We were playing the FA Trophy match against TPD (Trinidad Petroleum Development). In those days they had a top centre-back named Jim Lowe. He was tough to pass and of course we had an All-Star forward line and they were giving us a lot of problems, especially a 16-year old Bobby Sookram. It was the first time that I saw him. After about 15 minutes I realized that Bobby could do a lot of damage. As the game went along, one of our links, Ernest Samuel (a clean player) got an injury. He suffered a broken clavicle. In those days there were no substitutions, you had to play with 10 men, so you had to make some quick decisions. I decided after assessing the match that the only way we could win this game is if I move from my role as the backward centre-forward to marking Bobby Sookram and call on Kelvin Berassa (who was one of the links) to play in my position. I think by doing that we were able to win the match. After the game, I read in the papers where “Carlton Franco is talking to the team, he is playing the role of a General”. That is how the name came about. Somebody must have said “The General”, or it could have been associated with General Franco too, the dictator from Spain.

palos: Take me through how you got involved in football, from school to club to the national team.
The General: From the time I was born, growing up in St. James, we played everything. We had different names for games. Cricket on a primitive level was called “bat and ball” and then when it was football season time, we didn’t have a lot of money so we couldn’t buy real footballs so we used to play with tennis balls. A bunch of guys would get together and we would play “backs and forwards”. A whole group of us would end up as backs and that’s how we developed our skills, playing with a tennis ball........

The article continues. See home page.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 09:17:50 AM by dreamer »

Offline Latent

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2006, 11:46:24 AM »
Dreamer, you have a point there. I think not enough is done to promote the history of football in our country. Even I am guilty of not knowing many of our past players and their achievements. This is a huge shame.

Imagine we make World Cup and many of us do not even know our own football history. Since the World Cup hype done, football gone back to its normal ways.

Maybe some should strat working on a website to help the promoe the history of football.

This is a real sad situation.

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2006, 01:35:38 PM »
Again from the Greatest Players archives , a story that pays tribute to the stars of 89. Another article in this section with Leonson Lewis is also moving. See these fellas in action in the T&T vs USA game next to the Hutson Charles Goal video in the Goals Galore section

Football was our life... says skipper Clayton Morris.

By: Gregory Trujillo - T&T Guardian.
09-Feb-2005 -

When the whistle is blown at 3.30 pm today to signal the start of the 10-match final stage of the Road to Germany for T&T footballers, every Man Jack will be hoping that history doesnt repeat itself.

Embedded in the minds of all coaches and players, administrators and fans will be the ill-fated day of November 19, 1989, when the Strike Squad made a boo-boo of their chances, losing by a lone goal when in search of a single point on the Road to Italy to qualify for their first ever World Cup.
Two key members who are constantly reliving those moments are coach and captain of the infamous Strike Squad as they were affectionally called Everald Gally Cummings and Clayton Morris.
Almost every day now, I am approached and asked if I think this time we could make it to Germany, said Morris. However, the conversation always has a way of switching to November 19.
The moment the name Strike Squad is mentioned, you would always hear a story of some incident or experience from that person of what they did on that the occasion.
Morris recalled that T&T started the 1989 campaign with a 1-1 draw with Costa Rica at the National Stadium. Striker Philbert Jones scored the equaliser after the Costa Ricans went ahead.
He explained that while the atmosphere in the Strike Squad camp was one of comraderie, the players competed a lot with each other for a place on the final eleven.
Earl Carter and Michael Maurice traded places between the uprights.
While Morris and Dexter Francis were regulars in the backline Kelvin Jones competed for a place with Marvin Faustin and Dexter Lee with Brian Williams.
In the event of any of the six either not performing up to par or forced out through injury, waiting to grab a chance were substitutes Floyd Lawrence and Ricky Nelson.
The three main midfielders were Kerry Jamerson, Hutson Charles and Russell Latapy. Others competing for a place were Elliot Allen and Lawrence, who was the utility player on the side.
Veteran Leroy Spann was also a part of the team and his presence among the guys was very useful.
Jones, Leonson Lewis, Maurice Alibey and Dwight Yorke together with Marlon Morris and Adrian Fonrose were the players left with the responsibility of getting goals in attack.
We played a 4-4-2 system to suit the players we had, Morris pointed out.
Latapy, known as the Little Magician, was the playmaker in the middle.
Jamesons role was one to sit behind Latapy and keep the bolt in the middle whether in attack or defence.We had a good team. Everybody was focused and knew what they wanted to achieve.
We trained twice a day in addition to sessions with physiotherapist Shirley Rudd-Ottley.
The thing that really helped us to develop is the time we spent together as a group. We were together for a two-year period.
Our life was just for the national team. We were totally committed to help the team to quality. Football was first. Everything else came second, including our families.
Morris disclosed how tough it was after a match or training for the players to head back to camp instead of going home to their families.
You could see the tears in your kids or wifes eyes, knowing they would not be seeing you for another couple of days.
My daughter Claycia was three years old then. I could remember when it was time to jump on the bus and she came for a hug and kiss she would ask daddy when you coming home?
Morris also expressed his feeling that both the players and the nation werent prepared for the biggest day ever in local football on November 19.
I think the whole nation wasnt prepared for the occasion, he noted. The occasion was bigger than us, both the players and nation because when you look at it we all allowed our emotions to control our brain. People were so overwhelmed.
The Petrotrin footballer admitted that having Cummings as coach, was a plus for the side.
Gally demonstrated all the skill he wanted us to develop. He would do it and we would follow. That was an inspiration for us. It was one of the things that motivated us in training.
A team is as strong as its weakest link and everybody was supposed to bring their individual skill or talent from God to the team. In the end, we all came away learning football in a structured way.
What was interesting about Gally was that he had the passion to take us to greater heights.
Many times in training when it got dark we did not want to stop training because of the energy he exerted.
Morris, who himself had a stint as assistant coach before Bertille St Clair took over, felt that the contribution and sacrifice made by the players of the Strike Squad have gone unnoticed.We have not been utilised to help in the development of the game. Here it is that we are qualifying for a World Cup and we are not utilised.
We were happy to have former national players come around whether it was to give advice on a one-on-one basis or just to witness training.

Nuff respeck
« Last Edit: October 23, 2006, 07:13:39 AM by dreamer »

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2006, 08:38:45 PM »
Profound post, dreamer. Respect for taking this stand.

I sure most of the forumites will wholeheartedly agree with you and feel frustrated by de situation as well - so I hope allyuh take de time to read it.

We are a young country so doh let our achievements, especially in sports, get fade away and eventually get lost. Preserve them, make dem accessible, keep the people away...we in the process of writing our own history books as a young country and we need to remember those who contribute and the times when we shone as a nation.

We could start somewhere self. In this forum...

1. Make all the goals, games and vids in the Goals Galore section permanent with no expiry. We will add to them as our players play with each week that passes. Same goes for the vids on ecaribbeansports.com

2. Make things like Touches match reports, ongoing player and coach interviews/articles, international newspaper stories on our qualification etc EASILY accessible (could even create a sub-forum fuh it). THOSE are things to show yuh children - doh let it get lost in de archives.

3. Start bombarding Hibs, Porto, Boavista, Falkirk and Dundee Utd with emails/formal requests asking dem to dig in their archives for whatever they kept of Latas in his prime. Same goes for Yorke and Aston Villa. Sadly I doh think this is possible for Leonson and Jamerson and dem fellas....but let we take a strong initiative from now.

Serious talk, forumites...add whatever else you think we need.

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2006, 08:40:14 AM »
Flex, Tallman, palos,

This website should get an award for layout and content buh ah have one humble suggestion. Those goals in Gols Galore Trinbago Style are such a treasure....could you take that Gols Galore section and make it more prominent on the message board page and home page so that when yuh enter this site yuh geh jolted one time. For some people it's still an accidental discovery and there are many posters who have access to broadband and still never saw the videos. If not, then a real immediate boldface link to Goals must be in your face on the message board where most of the action is. I fully understand that football is not everything on this site but yuh see wha' ah mean?

Grande, your points are well appreciated. Sometimes I see awesome videos that happen to be accessible for a few days casually buried deep in a thread, and ah shame to say, were just left to be lost as if all dey serve was jes temporary kicks. Is there anyway we could preserve them? Already alot of the posts are showing more awareness of the videos and the discussions are juiced up with more facts. Dais good. Respec'

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2006, 11:59:27 AM »
Dreamer, your original post had alot of good points. As with your post above, i believe all the goal links in the goal forum are not temporary. I agree though that sometimes theyre burried deep in a thread, but all of those threads arent too long, so they are reachable. If any of the links are borken then just ask the poster to try to re-post.  :beermug:
Hart for president

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2006, 12:19:12 PM »
Flex, Tallman, palos,

This website should get an award for layout and content buh ah have one humble suggestion. Those goals in Gols Galore Trinbago Style are such a treasure....could you take that Gols Galore section and make it more prominent on the message board page and home page so that when yuh enter this site yuh geh jolted one time. For some people it's still an accidental discovery and there are many posters who have access to broadband and still never saw the videos. If not, then a real immediate boldface link to Goals must be in your face on the message board where most of the action is. I fully understand that football is not everything on this site but yuh see wha' ah mean?

One thing I notice is when you click on the forum link on the home page it takes you directly to the football board (index.php?board=2.0) instead of the main list of all the boards. So maybe new people just aren't realzing there are other boards on the website.

If you come over from the link on WN it does give you the list, though.

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2006, 10:18:59 AM »
Thanks for your comment e-man especially coming from you being a moderator for some of the boards. Sounds like a little change could be made as the new people are important.

1]; } ?>