March 28, 2024, 12:11:06 PM

Author Topic: His influence has spanned the generations.  (Read 7897 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
His influence has spanned the generations.
« on: November 24, 2005, 03:53:20 AM »
His influence has spanned the generations.
By Frank Dell'Apa - Boston Globe.
[/size]

The credit should be spread to many for nearly every team sporting success. But Leroy Spann is the primary father figure -- literally and symbolically -- of Trinidad and Tobago's first victorious World Cup qualifying campaign.
The Soca Warriors defeated Bahrain, 1-0, in a playoff game last week to become the smallest nation [pop. 1.1 million] to advance to the World Cup finals, scheduled next June 9-July 9 in Germany. This was the third time Trinidad and Tobago was a game away from qualifying for the finals, and Spann was directly involved.
Spann played for Trinidad and Tobago when it was edged out by Haiti in 1974 qualifying and was on the team that lost to the United States in '90 qualifying. Spann's son, Silvio, played an important midfield role as the Soca Warriors succeeded this time.
''[Silvio] called me after they won the game in Bahrain," said Spann, 52, who coaches and continues to play soccer in the Andover area. ''It was always my dream to play in the World Cup and I always felt we could qualify. But I played for 18 years with the national team and I know the problem. It is the same in all the Caribbean countries. They always wait until the last minute instead of getting it done up front. At Christmas, they wait to clean the place up until the last day or two.
''In a game, the first 15 or 20 minutes, they don't play. By the second half, they pick it up, but by then the game is over."
Leroy Spann should have been in the thoughts of most of the thousands who greeted the team in Port of Spain last week. The team had tied Bahrain, 1-1, in the first game at home, then clinched the aggregate goals decision when Dennis Lawrence, a 6-foot-7-inch defender who plays for Wrexham in Wales, headed in a corner kick early in the second half in Manama. In attendance were George Maxwell Richard, Trinidad and Tobago's president, CONCACAF president Jack Warner, and sprinter Ato Bolden, among the nation's most famous athletes.
The Trinidad and Tobago team was led by veterans Russell Latapy, 37, and Dwight Yorke, 34, who made their international debuts as Spann's career was winding down. The starters included Revolution defender Avery John, who was coached by Spann on Trinidad and Tobago's Under-17 national team in the '90s.
''Dwight Yorke got to England because we were playing against Aston Villa in 1989," Spann recalled of Yorke, who went on to star for Manchester United and is now in Australia. ''The manager, Graham Taylor, spotted him in that game."
In Spann's day, a move from the Caribbean to Europe was extremely rare
The North American Soccer League gave opportunities to dozens of Caribbean players and Spann played for the San Jose Earthquakes in 1978. That was among the first moves north for Spann's family. Now, Spann's daughter lives in Buffalo and a sister lives in New York. Several brothers-in-law have played soccer in the United States, including Brian Haynes, now an assistant coach with FC Dallas. There will be a family reunion next month, which will include Silvio, who plays for Yokohama FC in Japan, and Spann's other son, Silas, a member of the U-17 national team.
''They have good technique," Spann said of his sons. ''The thing that I had them do when they were growing up was to look at a lot of football."
Spann has noted major changes in soccer in the United States since the '70s.
''There were a lot of foreign stars and coaches in the league and America didn't have anything on their own," Spann said. ''Against the US, our team was better, we beat them in the Pan American Games in Mexico in 1975. It started changing when they bid for the 1986 World Cup and then got the 1994 Cup; then, they started to build. Now, they can stand on their own against any team in the world and, someday, they will win the World Cup.
Trinidad and Tobago's last-game qualifying experiences have occurred in 16-year spans.
In the '74 qualifying final tournament in Port-au-Prince, Trinidad and Tobago beat Mexico, 4-0, but lost to Haiti, 2-1. On Nov. 18, 1989, the Soca Warriors would have advanced to Italy with a draw at home vs. the United States, but fell, 1-0.
''We scored five goals and four were disallowed vs. Haiti," Spann said. ''We even were called for offside on a throw-in. We had a guy who could throw the ball very long, and we had a set play where someone would head the throw-in."
These three World Cup qualifying experiences support Spann's belief that Trinidad and Tobago performs better away from home, removed from distractions and pressures.
''The team will do well in Germany but the government is supporting them and the important thing is preparation," Spann said. ''They have to play games in Europe and South America. It will be difficult to get to the second round of the World Cup but in football, the world gets smaller, and nobody is far ahead of anybody else."
« Last Edit: November 24, 2005, 03:58:07 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: His influence has spanned the generations.
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2005, 04:12:02 AM »
A personal football hero of mine.
The man play for the national team for almost two decades.
De best bender of de ball ah ever see play for trini.
Ah real gentleman.
Keep the Spann and Haynes genes running and T&T football will be well served for years to come.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2005, 06:50:40 AM »
How many men in the world have a beats named after him? The ''spanner'' !! Only him and Cryuff...and trust me, after being away I know men in foreign know what a spanner is now !!
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2005, 07:34:32 AM »
How many men in the world have a beats named after him? The ''spanner'' !! Only him and Cryuff...and trust me, after being away I know men in foreign know what a spanner is now !!

fuh real?..i always wondered if the spanner was named after him..he coached us for a while at Naps during the 90's too..nice fella
Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2005, 08:33:47 AM »

fuh real?..i always wondered if the spanner was named after him..he coached us for a while at Naps during the 90's too..nice fella

Leroy Spann was quite simply a marvel to watch and play with. So many games Spann simply destroyed opposition down the wing. I remember him ripping apart the right back for St Mirren in Skinner Park. At that time St Mirren was coached by Alex Ferguson. Spanner developed that beat after seeing it done by Riverlino in the 1970 WC. Every youth in Roy Joseph Scheme use to try and get the ball from him and is only spanner after spanner they constantly getting. One thing people who are not familiar with Leroy should know. He use to train like a man possessed, he loved football more than anything and he was determined to make it. At one time he was part of a strong Caroni team that had players the likes of Devnish Paul, Ken Murren, Clebert Leonnard, Peter Mitchell and one set of Haynes  ;D
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Trinitim

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2005, 08:52:40 AM »

Yeah fuh real. I didn't know Leroy the Father but I know his product the son. Silvio is a real asset to Trinidad and Tobago football, I know him personally he went Benedict's with me and I see him score a goal from almost the corner flag, the man could real curve that ball , he have a bullet and he dedicated so Silvio I am seeing real potential possibilities for you. Bless up man.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2005, 08:53:46 AM »

Leroy Spann was quite simply a marvel to watch and play with. So many games Spann simply destroyed opposition down the wing. I remember him ripping apart the right back for St Mirren in Skinner Park. At that time St Mirren was coached by Alex Ferguson. Spanner developed that beat after seeing it done by Riverlino in the 1970 WC. Every youth in Roy Joseph Scheme use to try and get the ball from him and is only spanner after spanner they constantly getting. One thing people who are not familiar with Leroy should know. He use to train like a man possessed, he loved football more than anything and he was determined to make it. At one time he was part of a strong Caroni team that had players the likes of Devnish Paul, Ken Murren, Clebert Leonnard, Peter Mitchell and one set of Haynes  ;D

Steupes...there u go wit de Peter Mitchell ting again.  ;D

To coin a phrase of yours...wha de ass Peter Mitchell ever win?  Show meh he medals... ;D ;D
« Last Edit: November 24, 2005, 09:03:16 AM by palos »
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2005, 08:56:06 AM »
well now theres a spann in the world cup.....he ( leroy) was the star of the 80's...i travelled miles to see him play....god bless the spann family and all of tnt....
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2005, 09:00:02 AM »
 :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

my personal hero ;D
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline skins

• Barca4ever
  • Hero Warrior
  • orginally from san do
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2005, 11:02:53 AM »
I meet Leroy Spann personally in Phildelhpia last year. He was talking to the kids that play in the city and the man know alot of football. The man could become a proffesional coach if he want because he know alot. Then two i know his son when he went benedict's. I remeber the goal he score from a corner as my friend above mention. What a beauty. He have real talent and i am happy that i was forunate to meet both father and son. I am poud of Spann, as a school mate and plus to know that once you dedicated and work hard for something, you can achieve your ultimate goal. 

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2010, 10:11:21 PM »
A glimpse of Leroy Spann as an Earthquake against the Aztecs in 1978 at 2:37. Not his most brilliant moment - that was supposed to be a 'spanner'?  :rotfl:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/3FzK13m6FWo&amp;start=156" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/3FzK13m6FWo&amp;start=156</a>
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 10:20:32 PM by E-man »

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2010, 11:51:34 PM »
i traveled miles...like a vampire...what a left foot

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2010, 12:28:13 AM »
I had the opportunity to play against Leroy on many occasions,we clashed because he played left wing for his team and i played the right wing for DF,he was usually a handful to deal with but we usually found a way,most times double team him,with all that a nice person whom i developed a good friendship with. 
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 12:30:51 AM by Coop's »

Offline Red Mango

• because football, does bring we together...
  • Sr. Warrior
  • We Comin'... Bless up!...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2010, 03:00:18 AM »
De Original!
I wanted to bring a different style to the team, to play the Trinbagonian way. Everald "Gally" Cummings

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2010, 02:53:32 PM »

Steupes...there u go wit de Peter Mitchell ting again.  ;D

To coin a phrase of yours...wha de ass Peter Mitchell ever win?  Show meh he medals... ;D ;D

No offense Palos, but I think Peter was the more skillful than Leroy, but they were different in temprament. Peter appeared to be mercurial while Leroy was always steady and grounded at all times. Peter was the man who poison Mexico in the CAC games in DR. He scored the winner for TT to go to the finals against Cuba which they lose(should have won) on pks. By time for the 78 WC qualifiers, I can't remember Peter being around. Leroy was a regular man on the national team then. Fellas I think he was the best player(mid-field) coming out of college in my times. And I would not be exaggerating to say he exhibited Ronaldinho qualities on the pitch.

I don't know where he is or what he does now.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2010, 08:25:28 PM »
yea peter Mitchell

real skills...top player

i sweat with him in skinner park long ago

he did a flick i never see anyone do.. i learn it.. and when i do it... it freaks out kids and adults alike

1]; } ?>