@gawd on pitch
So far T&T athletes have made finals in 7 events:-
50m Men Freestyle Swimming but no medal there - Bovell;
100m Women Sprint but no medal there - KAB;
100m Men Sprint but no medal there - RT;
400m Men Hurdles but no medal there - Jehue;
400m Men and bronze medal there - Lalonde;
200m Women Sprint - Hackett but no medal;
Javelin Men - Walcott (Hopefully he can set a new PB in the final on Saturday);
Also expect us to make finals and hopefully medal in:-
Men 4x100m relay (Bronze most likely);
Women 4x100m relay (Bronze most likely);
Will be pleased to make final in Men 4x400m relay but would be surprised if we medal as one of our best 400m sprinters Quow has a hamstring injury.
So that is 10 event finals that our athletes will hopefully make and I am realistically hoping for at least 3 medals most likely all bronze if we perform to the best of our ability in each of the remaining finals we qualify for.
Dont worry about Quow not being there. He was only a 45.5s runner this season. Cedenio is guaranteed to run a high 45.s. With Jehue's sub 48, that should equal a 45.5s-45.8s in the 400m flat.
The main contenders in the 4x400 have kind of faded. I mean, we havent seen much of them in the semis or even finals. I think he have a good chance. Some things to think about... that should work in our favor:
- USA had no finalists in the 400m. Tells us that Lashawn Merrit is their US best.. He is not there. Plus the other fill ins (Clement, in particular) does not really look the best. In the end the US will be there, but they are not as strong as they were in the past.
- BAH Probably the most deadliest right now. But they havent really shown up lately. In the end, they will be a contender. I think if we get ahead of them we can pull it off.
- South Africa individually looks a little weak. They had no finalists in the 400m and 400mh and one semi finalist in the 400m. LJ is not the
same as last year. No sub 45s runners. Their best is a 45.4 runner.
- RUS has two good low 45s runners. Again if we get in front of them, we can do it.
- JAM There best runner Gonzo is looking a little weak nowadays. Hyatt hasnt run sub 45 since trials. They will be ready to run regardless.
- DR Sanchez could probably run a mid 45s. We know the potential of Santos. However, their next best is a 45.7s runner. Cant see them
being a contender considering their lack of depth. But they have momentum with the two medals.
- POL No sub 45 runners. Their best is a mid 45 runner. Strong if they get in front of us.
- CUB has a good seasonal best. Best runner is a high 45.8 runner. Thats about it.
-UK With home advantage and a good pool of runners in the 400m and the 400mh .. They are the ones we need to be concerned about.
They have the potential to pull off a shocker.
I think T&T has a fair chance to get a medal in the 4x400. The field is kind of even this year.
4x400 is all about speed.. And i think T&T has enough speed depth in this event to get a medal.