April 25, 2024, 04:13:25 PM

Author Topic: Fatima...finally.  (Read 6485 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Fatima...finally.
« on: December 07, 2005, 03:22:15 AM »
Fatima...finally.
By: Kwame Williams.
[/size]

Twenty-six years have passed since Fatima College last experienced the joy of winning the coveted national InterCol football crown.
The exploits of the school’s 1979 title-winning team, which included the likes of Kenwin Nancoo, Graeme Rodriguez, Anton Corneal and Garnet Craig, has gone down into legend and are now a distant memory.
Scores of promising players and teams have since represented the well-known establishment, but all fell woefully short of equalling the ’79 outfit’s achievement.
Being a Fatima “old boy” and an avid lover of the sport, I have always tried to follow the school’s progress in the Secondary Schools Football League over the years, which, unfortunately, has been little to none at the popular Under-19 level.
During my time there, right up until last year, it was either a case of the team being dependant on one man to do all the work, which can only bring limited success; being a good unit but lacking the killer instinct; or just lacking what it took to be competitive.
So, after seeing my former alma mater fail time and again to cop any kind of silverware, I, and I’m quite sure I speak for a lot of other students who were probably either too young to remember the triumph in ’79 or not even born yet (like me), was beginning to wonder if this trend would ever end during my lifetime.
Well I am more than happy to say that this year, it has. The drought is over and the title belongs to Fatima. Finally!
November 27, 2005 is a day that will live on in the memories of all present and former pupils, teachers, and supporters, especially those who were at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, as we were privileged enough to witness the boys in blue and gold stylishly clinch the third national InterCol crown in the school’s history, with a 2-1 win over “The Green Machine”, St Augustine Senior Comprehensive.

What a way to celebrate Fatima’s 60-year anniversary.

Honestly, winning the InterCol title was no more than it deserved, as the Errol Mc Farlane-coached squad was arguably the best in the competition, exhibiting the confidence, skill, maturity and resilience which any champion normally possesses.
Captained by former national youth team player, Machel James, Fatima got off to a blazing start in the North Zone league competition. It won its first seven matches, scoring 30 goals and conceding just two.
Midfielders Kieran Marin, and Emmanuel Joseph were bossing the middle of the park and getting their names on the score sheet, while striker Makesi Lewis was in devastating form in front of goal, ending the season with 25 goals.
Machel, his brother Marvin, overlapping left-back Kevon Villaroel, Elijah Belgrave and Sean Bateau made Fatima almost impenetrable at the back. And on the rare occasion when the defence was eluded, impressive goalkeeper Adrian Foncette was almost sure to thwart the opposition.
The next two matches tested the team’s resolve, as they were back-to-back losses to Mucurapo (1-0) and St Anthony’s (4-1), which they beat in the first round.
In 2003 and 2004, Fatima started in similar fashion, then fizzled away as the competition went on, and it was beginning to look like the dreaded “drop in form” was about to recur. James and his men were determined to not let that happen, however.
The losses, which ended up costing Fatima the zonal title, turned out to be blessings in disguise as they made the team evaluate itself.
“I think we got ahead of ourselves and that cost us the league. So after the St Anthony’s match, we (the players) came together and decided enough is enough. This is never to happen again,” said the captain.

And it never did.

They went on to avenge the loss to St Anthony’s, whipping “the Tigers” 4-2 in the North InterCol semifinal, then came back from a goal down in injury time to tie 4-4 with Mucurapo in a topsy-turvy final, which saw Fatima leading 2-1 at half-time. They won the penalty shootout 5-4 to hoist the zonal InterCol trophy.
National Under-15 striker Chad De Freitas, hampered by a sore instep for most of the league, was back to full fitness and finding the net frequently, getting goals in the wins over St Anthony’s, Mucurapo and St Augustine. Marin though had his season prematurely ended by an ankle injury sustained in the North InterCol semifinal.
The injury bug also hit right-back Sheldon Bateau, super-sub Sherron Joseph, the scorer of the vital equaliser in the national semifinal against Naparima, and Marvin James, who limped off in the first ten minutes of the national final. That did not stop them from performing well, however, as it possessed a depth of quality players other teams did not.
With talented reserves like Brenton Balbosa, Yohance Williams, Kade Cottoy and Jevon Morris, coach Mc Farlane was still able to field teams that were better than some of the opponents’ first-choice 11.
“I think what made the difference for us this year was that our pre-season preparation was much better than the previous years. A lot of players came out from the start. Also, all the players play for clubs throughout the year so they have sufficient experience to perform at this level,” said the proud coach.
Mc Farlane also attributed Fatima’s triumphant season to principal Anthony Garcia, who he said supported the team endlessly. For a school starved of success on the football field and its supporters, the victory was priceless. Both will be hoping they do not have to wait another twenty-something years before celebrating a fourth title, but with Mc Farlane at the helm and the core of the 2005 team poised to return in 2006, around this time next year Fatima could well be toasting to a successful title defence.

Source:
T&T Guardian Newspapers.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Fatima...finally.
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2005, 05:57:25 AM »
What ?
FAGIMA only 60 years old ?
That mean it mus have men who was dey when de school open still alive.
Ah sorry fuh dem men who see Fatima take licks over all them 60 years with one or two bright spots in between. Ah suppose now dey could die happy.
Congrats again Fatima and dey old boys and really enjoy it because it go take another 26 yrs !!!
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2005, 06:52:58 AM »
Fatima, St Anthonys and QRC lucky they have money or else they wouldn't even have a blasted team.
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2005, 07:00:58 AM »
QRC have no money soldier...just take a walk into the main building and u will see...
All the money comes from the government and they have to share it with all the other gov't schools in the land, which puts QRC last on the list because people of the impression that they need it the least.
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline cm103

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2005, 08:56:04 AM »
Boy is amazing how men does hate on yuh when yuh on top...Fatima ent propping d tables for a couple years now.

Who vex lost...next year we go have a setta man saying d same ting about we.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2005, 08:59:08 AM »
Fatima, St Anthonys and QRC lucky they have money or else they wouldn't even have a blasted team.

what's your point ?
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Benchwarmer

• Sr. Warrior
  • Trini to the bone...Dutch till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2005, 12:25:58 PM »
The coach was right.......the2002, 2003, 2004 teams coulda win too but they was always lackin somethin.... is basicly the same pl;ayers........from 2002(my side) we came third to the tigers bomb and malick......and everyside jus lacked something....a finisher or a midfield general or some small piece.

Marin and James playing since 2002.
and men like Chad showin promise long time......but he was a midfield player...i surprise they move him to strike.....

Money???? what money Fatima have??????

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2005, 12:29:31 PM »
I mehself want to know
cause when I went Fatima they was always extorting money from me

and even self if we had money
wha, people with money eh suppose to play football or wha?

Ms que un club.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2005, 12:30:41 PM »
I mehself want to know

Disgruntled.... when dey used to give we pledge sheet for walkathon.... yuh never photocopy de sheet and collect money for yuhself on ah side?  8)
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline duscam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2005, 12:30:47 PM »
FATIMA IS BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO..
« Last Edit: December 07, 2005, 12:33:22 PM by Tallman »

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2005, 12:33:05 PM »
Only in Trinidad - how much years we wait since the last title and still men hating...shame....
BORN TO DO IT

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2005, 12:45:19 PM »
I mehself want to know

Disgruntled.... when dey used to give we pledge sheet for walkathon.... yuh never photocopy de sheet and collect money for yuhself on ah side?  8)

horse
I do everything

tiefing Fatima disco ticket
when is tin day and bottle day my mother cupboard full cause I moving with real thing
meh fingers was lil sticky in dem days

Ms que un club.

Offline Mr Mc

• Hero Warrior
  • Take pride in yuh side!! Vibes it Up!!!
    • View Profile
    • Trini Jungle Juice
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2005, 12:56:31 PM »
FATIMA IS BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO..

I have spoken to you about this type of behavior before!!!

Offline duscam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2005, 01:10:03 PM »
sorry ato and mc i allowed to hate..saints men dont do nothing but hate on fatima men...and likewise..what you expect me to do congratulate...nah man...

Offline cm103

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2005, 03:42:56 PM »
sorry ato and mc i allowed to hate..saints men dont do nothing but hate on fatima men...and likewise..what you expect me to do congratulate...nah man...

True...ah cyah fault yuh dey...allyuh men are where we were a few years ago anyway.

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2005, 10:46:50 AM »
IF I went to Saints I would hate too....go ahead, you are right to!
BORN TO DO IT

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2005, 11:23:56 AM »

Remember that and know what to expect if saints ever manage to win anything  ;D
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2005, 11:37:04 AM »
went 51 last night and see nuff Fatima men in the dance well dressed
they went Fatima 60th dinner down to Spalk was they in he suit

Ms que un club.

Offline Ponnoxx

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2005, 11:41:46 AM »
 Good for Fatima...They lucky too

Offline OutsideMan

• Many bad things. *Sips Scotch*
  • Hero Warrior
  • SocaWarrior4Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2005, 11:47:03 AM »
Well all-yuh, i eh even know de last time my school won de finals.  I remember the best year we had was in 1986 when we won every single game that year, but lost in de finals to El Dorado.

We won de big 7 tiltle though, if i remeber correctly.

No matter what, Osbourne, Bertram, and Anthony Sherwood were ah deadly combination.

The dumbest people on earth are generally located in comment sections of websites all over the world.

1]; } ?>