WASA FC came from behind to draw 2-2 with Santa Rosa to claim the 2012 bmobile National Super League title at the Marvin Lee Stadium, Macoya, yesterday.

WASA took the title as contender Joe Public were also held to a 2-2 draw in their game against Club Sando at the Manny Ramjohn Stadium, Marabella.

WASA went into the match just two points ahead of Public and needed a win to guarantee them the title and put the race out of the defending champions reach.

However, they had a shaky start as they fell behind in the seventh minute as Eon Alleyne gave Santa Rosa a 1-0 lead. The “utility” team looked flat as they were without several of their keys players who were benched for indiscipline.

They were outplayed especially in the first 20 minutes as Santa Rosa kept the pressure on. Alleyne had a chance to increase the lead, but Phillip Nelson got in a challenge before the forward could fire a shot.

Former national U-23 captain, Shane Calderon, tried to spark WASA with a run down the left side but his cross was snatched out of the air by Andrew Durant in Santa Rosa’s goal.

Two minutes later, WASA’s custodian Waldo Diaz had to palm Andre Rampersad’s right-footed shot over the bar as Santa Rosa went into the break ahead.

WASA came out in the second period with more purpose and drew level when Dillion Peterson’s side-footed a shot past Durant at his near post from inside the box in the 52nd minute.

Santa Rosa then restored their lead through a beauty of a left-foot shot from Osei Sandy which flew past the WASA keeper to make it 2-1.

National U-20 captain Duane Muckette should have increased the advantage after running onto a long ball but his attempt at lobbing the advancing keeper went just over the bar.

Substitute Shervin Charles then scored the goal which gave them the title as he slapped home a volley from just outside the six-yard box to leave Durant a spectator in the 77th minute to make it 2-2.

WASA went in search of the winner, however, Santa Rosa held on for the draw. WASA then got the good news as they were in the locker and this sparked the celebrations.

Draw earns ‘Water Boys’ league title.
T&T Guardian Reports.

WASA FC will count its lucky stars after securing its first blink/bmobile National Super League title for five years, with a 2–2 draw against FC Santa Rosa on the final day of the season, yesterday.
Shervin Charles scored with less than 15 minutes remaining in the encounter, to assure the “Water Boys” triumph in the 12-team second tier football competition as defending champion bmobile
Joe Public recorded a similar 2–2 draw which was insufficient, as it needed the full three points to go level with WASA.
Joe Public ended the campaign with a goal differential eight items greater than WASA FC which meant a win would have handed the league’s most dominant club, Joe Public its fifth NSL title.
Westside Superstarz, which was hoping for a miracle, suffered yet another miserable loss, 4–0 away to Real Maracas.
Westside also had a slight chance of winning its first title, but an uninspired performance from Nigel Grosvenor’s players saw all hopes disappear.
In the end, it was WASA to celebrate, after coming back from behind twice. Eon Alleyne opened in the 7th minute for Santa Rosa, only to be denied in the 33rd minute through a Dillon Peterson effort for WASA.
Twelve minutes into the second period, Santa Rosa again opted to spoil the party when Osei Sandy found his team’s second lead, before Shervin Chalres scored again in the 77th minute for the draw which stood to the final whistle.
It may not have been a fitting end, but WASA would nevertheless celebrate after finishing runner-up and third place, in the past two seasons.
The team’s manager Frederick Harris, who has been associated with the club for three years along with coach and former captain Anthony Dhanoolal, said despite the challenges the team was not quite surprised at winning the title.
“It is a team going through a transition, but they (the players) were prepared to go all the way.”
Harris added that the core of WASA’s players range from 19 to 21 years in age. “It is a praying, spiritual team and that gave them a sound mind.”
He also offered thanks for the team ending the campaign without any serious injuries. “No injuries and the guys have left stronger, and more experienced.”
When asked if his team has plans of heading to the country’s top football competition, the TT Pro League, Harris laughed, “We are a Pro League team.” However, he added that due to the league’s financial requirements and demands, the club’s chance of heading into the Pro League will be determined by the management of WASA.
Apart from two Super League crowns, WASA also boasts of a T&T Cup (FA trophy), which it won back in 2006.

WASA 2 (Dillon Peterson 33rd, Shervin Charles 77th) vs FC Santa Rosa 2 (Eon Alleyne 7th, Osei Sandy 57th)

Phoenix 2 (Darren Mitchell 66th, 80th) vs Eagles Utd 0

Real Maracas 4 (Renaldo Mejias 13th, Dillon Bartholomew 40th, Handel Manswell 74th, 85th) vs Westside 0

Siparia 3 (Len Mejias 20th, Jesse Edwards 23rd, 45th) vs Stokely Vale 1 (Darron Williams 45th)

Defence Force 5 (Jamaal Goodridge 10th, 17th, 55th, Akil Nichols 64th, Samuel Delice 85th) vs Biche Utd 2 (Ricardo Hernandez 25th, Kerron Walcott 35th)

Club Sando 2 (Trevon Mitchell 15th, Jesse Downing 40th) vs Joe Public 2 (Keino goodridge 65th, 75th).