21 Jul 2012
- Written by T&T Express
- Hits: 428
Trinidad and Tobago senior national football men are unlikely to host any matches for the rest of 2012 due to a lack of funding, but Minister of Sport Anil Roberts said yesterday this is because they are late on their paperwork.
Earlier this week Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (TTFF) marketing manager Anthony Harford said T&T are likely to play all their matches away from home due to "financial constraints". The TTFF is yet to receive their funding from the Sport Company of T&T (SPORTT).
When asked yesterday about funding for the national football teams during a coaching session at the SPORTT/Sport Ministry Sport Youth Camp at Marlins Swimming Pool in Westmoorings, Roberts hinted that the Federation has been errant in accounting to the Ministry for their spending.
"Mr Harford, as far as I know, has been in discussions with the permanent secretary," Roberts said. "Mr Harford has a lot of questions to answer to the permanent secretary, so I would suggest he stay rather quiet and deal with the permanent secretary's questions."
The Minister added: … "The permanent secretary is the accounting officer and is in charge and responsible for the taxpayers' dollars, so I suggest to him that he be a little less loquacious and answer the letters to the permanent secretary so if you see him tell him that for me."
Harford told the Express yesterday that the TTFF are going over the final figures and will submit its paperwork by Tuesday.