Some 200 players have been looked at during two screening sessions conducted by the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association for selection on the National Under 20 Men’s Team.
Sessions were held on Saturday and Tuesday at the Larry Gomes Stadium and will continue on Wednesday from 9am at the Ato Boldon Stadium for players from the South and Central regions.
Under 20 coach Derek King and other senior staff members Stephen Hart, Hutson Charles, Dale Saunders and Muhammad Isa have been present at the sessions.
The action shifts to Tobago on Saturday with a session carded for the Dwight Yorke Stadium from 9am. Players must be born on or after January 1, 1995 and must walk with ID, Red and White playing tops and black pants and red socks.
King noted that there has been some quality in the mix so far.
“We’ve seen a lot of enthusiastic and talented players in the screening so far coming from local Pro League clubs such as W Connection, North East Stars and St Ann’s Rangers as well the schools in the Secondary Schools League,” King told TTFA Media.
“We’ve seen maybe 200 players so far and they are a few guys with quality that can definitely bring something to the squad. We’ll continue to assess their ability and their potential before cutting the squad for a first set of official training sessions next week at which point we will bring in the current pool of players from the past National Under 17 team and some other faces we’ve already added,” King said.
“And the staff at the sessions are all very experienced with a keen eye for talent which is a great boost for the process at this time.”
T&T are preparing for the second round of the Caribbean Football Union leg of the 2015 FIFA Under 20 World Cup qualifiers which will be played in Trinidad and Tobago from September 10-19th.
The CONCACAF Final round will be played from January 9th-25th at a venue to be determined from which the top four teams will qualify for the FIFA Under 20 World Cup in New Zealand from May 30th to June 20th, 2015.