Sidebar

20
Fri, Oct

Tributes pour in for Carter (PHOTO: wired868)....
Typography

Tributes poured in yesterday for deceased national footballer Kevon Carter, who passed away this morning after suffering a heart attack while in training with the Defence Force Football club.

“No words can really describe  how we feel about the death of another one of our sons, a young man who was vibrant and was a valuable member of our country’s national team,” TTFA president Raymond Tim Kee said.

“I was indeed very shocked when I received the news earlier today and this will be a most difficult period for his family, his teammates, his friends and we must support them in whatever way possible.

Losing someone, especially in such circumstances is never something that is easy to handle. His family and everyone else close to him are in our thoughts and prayers.”

National coach Stephen Hart said: “Kevon will be a definite loss on and off the field. He’s been in my squad going back to the Gold Cup last year and of course over a period of time dealing with players, you get to know them better and this is indeed very sad and sudden loss for us.”

Former national coach and player Russell Latapy, who was at the helm of the senior team when Carter was a member, said that the player had true potential.

“I would like to express condolences to his family and friends. I got the news in Scotland just after midday and it was fact a shocker for me. He was a player at the time with great potential and lots of pace. He will definitely be missed,” Latapy said. English-based winger Carlos Edwards, a former Defence Force player himself, also expressed shock.

“It’s unbelievable to me at this time. Another Defence Force player and teammate who I enjoyed being around and playing with. I cannot begin to imagine what everyone close to him may be going through right now. It shows us that life is precious on and off the football field.

He got into difficulty doing what he loved most and we have to remember him for what he was,” Edwards said. Notts County midfielder Andre Boucaud met Carter for the first time last year during the team’s tour to Romania and Estonia.

He was deeply saddened. “I knew him for that short space of time but obviously we had spent a lot of time together for the friendlies and the Gold Cup and so on.

He was always a very cool and decent individual. I think his loss a terrible one. And for us as footballers, it’s frightening to some extent because you’re seeing guys just popping up with this kind of medical problem that has proven to be fatal. We’ve got to be extremely careful about everything we do as athletes now,” said the 29-year-old.

RELATED NEWS

T&T midfielder dies from heart attack.
By Ian Prescott (Express).


Carter shocker

The sudden death by heart attack of army corporal Kevon Carter yesterday, has left  members of the Defence Force football team reeling.

The 30-year-old Trinidad and Tobago midfielder Carter  began suffering chest pains during a Defence Force training session yesterday morning. He passed away on the way to receiving treatment at the Cocorite Community Hospital of Seven Day Adventists.

His death comes mere months after the passing  of another national footballer  Akeem Adams, who died on  December 30, after initially suffering a massive heart attack in Hungary on September 25, 2013.

“I don’t know how to come to terms with this,” Defence Force assistant-coach  Marvin Gordon told the Express yesterday. “He was not just a good player but also a good friend. I played alongside him when he was younger and I was one of the older players on the team.”

Former national midfielder Gordon said that Carter initially had a recurrent, but mild chess pain while training. He came off the field to rest, but  the pain escalated. After taking a pain killer, Carter began vomiting all the water he had previously drank, and  was then rushed to hospital by Army medics.

“The next call I got was that he had passed away,” Gordon said. Carter’s teammate, national forward Devorn Jorsling was equally devastated.

“This is something unbelievable to all of us right now,” he told TTFA media.  “One minute Kevon was right there with us and then after we’re hearing he didn’t make it.”

Carter served the Defence Force for ten years and was an integral part of the team in the wide midfield position. Known for his pace, Carter also made 31 appearances for T&T, scoring five goals. He was a member of T&T’s squad at the 2013 Concacaf Gold Cup as well as the team that finished runners-up at the 2012 Caribbean Cup Finals.

He attended Mucurapo Senior Comprehensive. Carter also had stints under Colombian Francisco Maturana and Hutson Charles,  and just last year lined up for T&T during a 4-0 defeat to Romania in a friendly international played in Europe.

“Kevon Carter is irreplaceable,” Gordon declared. “I said that when he broke his foot  a few years ago, and I say that now. He was an inspiration to the team (Defence Force) when things were down and he was a leader both in the way he carried himself on and off the field.”

In a release yesterday,  the  local football governing body said: “The Trinidad and Tobago Football Association would like to extend deepest sympathies to the family of national men’s senior team player Kevon Carter, who passed away this morning at the age of 30.”

Gordon promised that Carter’s memory will be honoured by the Defence Force.

Also expressing his sympathy was Minister of Sport Anil Roberts who said: “It is extremely disheartening to hear this news but I hope it serves as a wake-up call to all of us to pay closer attention to our health and wellness.

When death comes so suddenly, it is always shocking and difficult to understand but I hope Kevon’s family and friends will cherish the time he spent with them.”

Football mourns player’s passing
T&T Express Reports.


Following are some reactions from the football fraternity following the sudden death of Defence Force and Trinidad and Tobago player Kevon Carter.

TTFA President Raymond Tim Kee —“No words can really describe  how we feel about the death of another one of our sons, a young man who was vibrant and was a valuable member of our country’s national team.

“I was indeed very shocked when I received the news earlier today and this will be a most difficult period for his family, his teammates, his friends and we must support them in whatever way possible. Losing someone, especially in such circumstances is never something that is easy to handle. His family and everyone else close to him are our thoughts and prayers.”

National coach Stephen Hart— “Kevon will be a definite loss on and off the field. He’s been in my squad going back to the Gold Cup last year and of course over a period of time dealing with players, you get to know them better and this is indeed very sad and sudden loss for us.”

Former national coach and player Russell Latapy—“I would like to express condolences to his family and friends. I got the news in Scotland just after midday and it was fact a shocker for me. He was a player at the time with great potential and lots of pace. He will definitely be missed.”

Carlos Edwards, former Defence Force player and T&T veteran—“It’s unbelievable to me at this time. Another Defence Force player and teammate who I enjoyed being around and playing with.

I cannot begin to imagine what everyone close to him may be going through right now. It shows us that life is precious on and off the football field. He got into difficulty doing what he loved most and we have to remember him for what he was.”

Selby Browne, vice president, Veteran Footballers Foundation of Trinidad and Tobago (VFOTT)—“What sad news. This is horrible.

As vice president of the VFFOTT, I call for full medical tests for all footballers selected to national training squads, with immediate effect (juniors and seniors, male and female).

All Associations, Zonal, Tobago and the Secondary Schools League, must also implement immediate full medical tests for all footballers participating in their Leagues.

I also call for the TTFA to immediately have medical insurance  coverage for all footballers registered to participate in leagues conducted by member Associations.

We extend our sympathy to the family of young  Kevon Carter, residents of his community, Ross Russell and the footballers and members of Trinidad and Tobago and Defence Force.”

Funeral arrangements will be announced in due course.