Sidebar

18
Wed, Oct

Typography
yorke37.jpgSunderland manager Roy Keane has urged Dwight Yorke to quell speculation that he is set to make an international return. The veteran midfielder retired from Trinidad and Tobago duty after the 2006 World Cup and Keane has warned Yorke not to jeopardise his club prospects for a fresh spell with his country.
Asked if Yorke would be returning to international duty, Keane told the Daily Star on Sunday: "No, he won't be, although I know he bloody played a few weeks ago.

"He keeps making these guest appearances,” he added.

The 36-year-old had indicated he was prepared to come out of international retirement to help his country’s bid to reach the 2010 World Cup finals but Keane was unimpressed by this suggestion.

"Maybe if he's not playing many games for us there's a chance of him going to play for them and I wouldn't be so critical," Keane added.

"I think Yorkie retired after the 2006 World Cup. It was Yorkie's decision to retire and hopefully he will stick with it. I'll discuss it with him in the next few days."

Meanwhile, Keane has confirmed that Ross Wallace and Liam Miller have been removed from the transfer list after making positive impacts during pre-season.

"I've taken them off that," said Keane. "Ross has come back and looked pretty sharp, following on from how well he was doing towards the back end of last season.

"Liam has kept his head down like a good professional and been doing things properly and I take note of that. If you do that, there won't be an issue. Last year is history and you have to move on."