Sidebar

Thu, Mar
28 New Articles

Typography

Trinidad and Tobago were officially announced as hosts of the 2010 FIFA Women's Under-17 Football World Cup yesterday by Joseph Sepp Blatter, the president of FIFA, the governing body for world football.

Blatter is in the country for centennial celebrations being staged by the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (TTFF). He confirmed that T&T will stage their second world football tournament in a decade. It was one of two announcements made by the FIFA president, the other being a memorandum of understanding with the University of the West Indies to establish an MBA in sports management.

"After the 2001 World Cup with the boys, we will see the 2010 World Cup with the girls," Blatter declared, while adding that the tournament will be great for the development of women's football in the region.

Yesterday, Blatter was among several top officials at a media luncheon at the House of Chan, St Augustine. Also there were Michel Platini, president of UEFA; FIFA vice-president Jerome Valcke and Lord David Triesman, chairman of the English Football Association. Also present were CONCACAF president Jack Warner and Oliver Camps, head of the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (TTFF).

Blatter displayed a great sense of humour to explain yesterday's absence of Winnie Mandela, a representative of the South African local organising committee for the 2010 World Cup, and Ricardo Texiera, president of the Brazilian Football Federation. The FIFA president later also drew a laugh with his impression of an English accent when addressing English Member of Parliament Lord Triesman.

He also praised Warner, who he said as one of just three major FIFA officials in his corner when he made his bid for president 10 years ago. Blatter also described T&T's qualification for the 2006 World Cup as a great, great achievement for such a small country. He said it showed what is again possible in the future when all the forces in the country work towards a specific goal.

And Warner commended the FIFA president for being here for the 100th year TTFF celebrations, describing it as a memorable occasion. He described his relationship with Blatter as a close none.

"He has been my friend for years," Warner said of Blatter, "and not only my friend, but my brother as well."