WASA, the 2006 Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (TTFF) FA champs, progressed to the semi-final round of this year’s event after inflicting a 5-2 spanking on Copious Suns in the second of back-to-back quarter-final matches at the Marvin Lee Stadium, Tunapuna.
Alvris Faure put WASA ahead after four minutes, tapping home a right- footer from a weak right-sided cross by Stevon Stoute.

Faure capped off a one-sided first half showing by his team with his second item in the 43rd, turning on his marker and shooting past goalkeeper Roger Regis after Jesse Reyes controlled a right-sided freekick from veteran Vernon Bailey.

Kendall Gillard pulled one back for the Northern Football Association (NFA) outfit in the 52nd, heading Nicholas Mason’s out-swinging corner past the flat-footed WASA defence.

Ex-national striker Nigel “Croc” Pierre played a part in WASA’s third, collecting a pass from Stoute and, despite calls for off-side, Pierre swung a low ball to Mervyn Brooks who shot into the open net after Regis failed to gather the cross.

Seven minutes later (64th), Faure completed his hat-trick, heading home Pierre’s freekick, but Gillard reduced the deficit to 4-2 in the 67th, tapping home a ball from Kareem Charles past the advancing WASA goalie Douglas McNeilly.

WASA finished off the scoring in stoppage time, with Stoute receiving a pass from substitute Darrin Lewis and drilling home with authority.

In the opening match of the double-header at Tunapuna – the schedule was changed to cater for Angostura 1976 FC Phoenix’s flight back to Tobago, the lads from the sister isle fell 3-0 to three-time FA champs W Connection.

Brazilian Igor Santos broke the deadlock in the 43rd minute, taking a back-heel from his countryman Ronaldo Viana to hit home from close range, while St Kitts/Nevis’ George Isaac added two close range items, in the 82nd and 85th, to guarantee the win for the “Savonetta lads”.

Defence Force, the six-time champs, also booked a spot in the last four after a come-from-behind 2-1 victory over two-time winners CLICO San Juan Jabloteh in the earlier encounter at the Manny Ramjohn Stadium, Marabella.

Lester Peltier put Jabloteh in front after four minutes but another ex- Trinidad and Tobago winger, Kevon Carter, responded in the 46th and 59th to put the Army-Coast Guard combination into Sunday’s semifinal stage.

Another team to rally from a goal down to advance was Caledonia AIA, who got a 4-1 extra-time win over St Ann’s Rangers at Marabella.

Shem McFarlane gave Rangers a 63rd minute lead but midfielder Akim Armstrong tied the scores five minutes later and, with the score-line locked at 1-1 after regulation time, extra time was required to determine the winner.

And, at that stage, Caledonia were ‘on fire’ as Kareem Joseph gave them the go-ahead goal in the 95th minute, while ex-national captain Densill Theobald (106th) and Guyanese Walter Moore (116th) sealed the victory for their team.