"Staff members of the T&T Football Association will be paid, and so too the members of the national football team currently set to take on Wales in an international friendly today," president of the T&TFA David John-Williams has said.
His comment comes amidst a report that the football association's account was frozen recently by a court order after John-Williams failed to honour a ruling by the High Court in November of last year, to paid members of the National Futsal team monies owed for salaries, per diem, match fees and miscellaneous other expenses that amounted to $475,743 plus legal fees of $69,200.82.
The matter now lies squarely in the hands of TTFA attorney Annand Misir, as he goes full speed ahead with an appeal of the decision.
John-Williams maintained he and his association have had absolutely nothing to do with the agreement made between the Futsal coach Clayton Morris and then TTFA president Raymond Tim Kee.
Yesterday Guardian Media Sports received a copy of the transcript from the court which showed Morris admitting he was chosen by Tim Kee as part of a steering committee back in 2013 to prepare a national team for the first time. The appointments were strictly verbal and did not have documentation to show the John-Williams-led administration when they assumed office back in November of 2015.
However, Justice Margaret Mohammed appeared to have honoured the agreement between the parties and was particularly annoyed when the embattled football association president instructed his attorney to appeal the decision, though he had initially asked for 28 days to make the payment.
Justice Mohammed's decision to order the TTFA's bank- First Citizens to freeze its account, was made last month. The bank was given a date of April 4 to appear in court with a statement of the TTFA's account.
John-Williams in a release yesterday said his association just does not have the funds to pay the debt.
" Unfortunately the funding is just not there at this time to service these debts, but we at the TTFA continue to soldier on, hence the reason for emphasis on completing the Hotel and the Home of Football which will be a major income generation project not just for football but will change the face of sport in Trinidad and Tobago."
He noted the TTFA has been in a similar situation before, particularly when Graphic Advertising was successful in getting their account frozen two years ago. According to the TTFA statement "Documents on the action taken by persons who have approached the court to have instructions issued to freeze the bank accounts of the TTFA last Friday was received on Monday, March 18th 2019. We at the TTFA have inherited a debt of over 30 million dollars incurred by the previous administrations and continue the uphill task of addressing that financial situation, while also addressing the ongoing operating requirements of the Association."
It added "The facts are that while these are not debts created by the David John Williams Administration, they remain the debt of the TTFA. We are very mindful of those whose sole agenda is to destroy T&T Football by their actions, but under no circumstances shall they derive such a result."
Relieved Warriors get match fee hike from TTFA, look forward to Wales clash.
By Lasana Liburd (Wired868).
The Trinidad and Tobago National Senior Team players can keep their attentions firmly on the task at hand in Wrexham this Wednesday, after they were assured of a pay hike for their international friendly against Wales.
The Soca Warriors had their fees cut from US$1,000 per match for much of this millennium to just US$300 by TTFA president David John-Williams in November 2017. The low fee, coupled with late payments, prompted players to threaten a boycott of Wednesday’s friendly in Wales, which could feature Real Madrid star and four-time European Champions League winner Gareth Bale.
However, even before head coach Dennis Lawrence selected his final 22-man squad for the marquee affair for the twin island republic, John-Williams was able to hammer out a truce. The new arrangement, according to one player who spoke on condition of anonymity, is a pay structure of US$1,000 for the starting team, US$700 for players who come off the bench and US$500 for unused substitutes.
“The guys are relieved and are just hoping to get a time for the money to be paid, as nothing has been confirmed yet,” the anonymous Warriors player told Wired868. “I’m looking forward to the game. For me, it’s one of those opportunities that don’t come often; so I’m ready to rumble with one of the world’s best players.”
The national players received no assurances that the offered match fee for Wednesday’s affair would remain in place for future friendlies while a pay structure still has not been confirmed for the 2019 Concacaf Gold Cup, which kicks off in June.
For now, the players are focused on the immediate task. They train today at Everton’s Finch Farm training facilities after an agreement between Lawrence—a former Everton assistant coach—and the Premier Division team’s club secretary, David Harrison.
The anonymous player said they have no illusions about the magnitude of the task. Wales are 19th in the world and playing at home with their entire squad in mid-season while the Warriors are ranked 93rd by FIFA and have just four players—Willis Plaza (Churchill Brothers, India), Khaleem Hyland (Al Faisaly FC, Saudi Arabia), Daneil Cyrus and Lester Peltier (both Al Orobah, Saudi Arabia)—who are at the same stage in their seasons.
But the Warriors are in good spirits and will work as a team.
“It’s not going to be easy but I’m sure the guys are looking forward to the game as much as I am,” said the Warriors player. “[…] It’s going to be a big challenge seeing that a lot of us are out of season or recently started but I have no doubts about what we’re capable of doing as a team.”