Sat, Jun
50 New Articles


KENWYNE JONES enjoyed a triumphant return to the North East and Robert Huth an eventful one as Stoke City came back from a goal behind to win the live televised match against Newcastle United at St James' Park.

Former Sunderland striker Jones scored for the fourth successive game with his head while ex-Middlesbrough man Huth was involved in all three goals as the Potters claimed a win which lifted them up to 14th position.

Newcastle had gone in front when Huth was adjudged to have impeded Andy Carroll just before half time and Kevin Nolan scored from the resulting spot kick.

But it was the £5 million defender who helped set up the equaliser for Jones after the break and then he was putting pressure on James Perch when he scored the own goal which meant that City claimed all three points.

It was the Potters' first victory at St James' Park for 34 years and ironically enough that was by way of an own goal from Micky Burns back in 1976.

Pulis rewarded three players for their part in the Carling Cup victory over Fulham with places in the starting line-up, namely Andy Wilkinson, Glenn Whelan and Salif Diao.

City made an uneasy start as a poor kick from Sorensen put them under unnecessary pressure, but although they cleared up that danger, Newcastle enjoyed the greater possession and were c learly intent on looking for Carroll at every available opportunity.

Diao made important clearances on a couple of occasions, while Danny Collins was also on hand with a vital interception when Wayne Routledge threatened.

The biggest scare for City in the opening stages came when Joey Barton released Jose Enrique down the left hand side and he whipped over a centre which flashed across the face of goal with full back James Perch the closest to getting a decisive touch.

The first threat from the Potters came when Jones latched onto a long ball forward but he chose to go it alone and his eventual shot was tame and wide.

City didn't help their cause by giving away free kicks in threatening positions, but they were thankful for the fact that Ben Arfa and Barton were off target with their shots.

But a first half of few chances ended with Newcastle going in front as Huth was adjudged to have impeded Carroll as they challenged for a cross from Enrique.

Referee Mike Jones had no hesitation in pointing to the spot and Nolan kept his nerve by sending Sorensen the wrong way with his penalty in the 41st minute.

City could easily have had a penalty themselves moments later when Barton bundled into Etherington to knock the winger off balance, the fact that he didn't go down in the area probably didn't help their claims to referee Jones.

City came out in the second half in a far more positive frame of mind and it wasn'tlong before Fuller was introduced in place of Diao to give them more attacking options.

They almost equalised in the 58th minute when Jon Walters headed on a cross and Jones' effort hit the post before Fuller stabbed the rebound wide.

Jones was then denied by the woodwork again five minutes later when he stretched to meet a Whitehead free kick with his head but saw it hit the upright.

It was a case of third time lucky though for the Trinidad and Tobago international when Huth headed an Etherington free kick into his path and he applied the finishing touch from close range to give City the equaliser that had been on the cards since the interval.

The goal came at a price as Fuller fell awkwardly in being brought down for the free kick and he was led away with what appeared to be a dislocated shoulder.

City had another scare when Sorensen fumbled a shot from Carroll but he snatched it at the second attempt with Nolan threatening to latch onto the rebound.

But they then mounted pressure in the closing stages of the game and got their reward with the winner from an Etherington corner delivered from the left.

Substitute Rory Delap had caused problems with his trademark long throws and the warning signs were there for the home side's defence.

When Etherington sent over the corner in the 85th minute Perch was under pressure from Huth as he headed the ball into his own net.

Newcastle could have snatched an equaliser in the final few minutes as Nolan stabbed one effort wide and then Huth sliced a clearance past the upright.