May 09, 2024, 08:39:55 AM

Poll

Which player is the biggest underachiever in the history of T&T football?

Colvin Hutchinson
1 (1.4%)
Jerren Nixon
6 (8.5%)
Arnold Dwarika
30 (42.3%)
Kerwyne Jemmot
25 (35.2%)
Evans Wise
4 (5.6%)
Michael McCommie
1 (1.4%)
Junior Hamilton
0 (0%)
Shawn Boney
4 (5.6%)

Total Members Voted: 70

Author Topic: Which player is the biggest underachiever in the history of T&T football?  (Read 14823 times)

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
Who is that one player who you've always felt that given their skill and abilities, should have made it so much further in football.

Regardless of the mitigating circumstances; be it poor attitude, lack of support, laziness, background, issues or just poor luck; which one of these players do you feel has never lived up to their full potential?

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
How much TI pay yuh to post this?

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline FLi !

• Luck is recognising the opportunities when they arise
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Dwarika hands down
Director of Waggonist Prosecutions (DWP)

Special Advisor to WN(UK)

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Latas...given his skill and abilities he should have been playing for Real Madrid or Barcelona not Porto or Rangers.

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
Dwarika, skill and talent to burn, falls off completely with respect to fitness and professionalism, he could have done very well.
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
omarldinho  - an adult doing this poll...once determined, can't do nuthen bout it....nobody can't do anything with the info....won't even discuss in a rum shop...usually ppl want to know who is the best...or worse....but this one wants to know who could of been....Everybody could have been better than they did...including you coulda come with a better poll.....chupidness

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
I'd have to say Hutson "Baba" Charles. He was a fantastic player, coulda make my team anyday. I wished things had gone differently for him, he could have done big things on a bigger stage.
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline FLi !

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
omarldinho  - an adult doing this poll...once determined, can't do nuthen bout it....nobody can't do anything with the info....won't even discuss in a rum shop...usually ppl want to know who is the best...or worse....but this one wants to know who could of been....Everybody could have been better than they did...including you coulda come with a better poll.....chupidness

I disagree. Everything has  to be put into perspective. Yorke played for one of the biggest clubs in the World and helped them to achieve the treble, yet ppl would claim he could have had a more consistently successful career were it not for certain demons external to the game. Latas has played with Porto in the Champions league, yet that's the closest he came to European Glory, his career and image at an all time low being charged with drunk driving in Scotland,  then we go down to men like Dwarika, being one of the 2 Trinidadians (Latas being the other one) to be selected for the 2000 All Star Gold Cup team, went to East Fife in Scotland, then complaining it was too cold and following a catalog of indiscipline being put on the transfer market being Joe Public for $1.......that's an ultimate underachiever para mi.

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
omarldinho  - an adult doing this poll...once determined, can't do nuthen bout it....nobody can't do anything with the info....won't even discuss in a rum shop...usually ppl want to know who is the best...or worse....but this one wants to know who could of been....Everybody could have been better than they did...including you coulda come with a better poll.....chupidness

this wasn't necessary, let de man ask he question nah, if yuh find is chupidness then jess ignore it and post somewhere else.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

this wasn't necessary, let de man ask he question nah, if yuh find is chupidness then jess ignore it and post somewhere else.

I oersonally fedup watching fans waste down players, unnecessarily....we supposed to be supporters, and when someone slips off our perception of glory...we kicking dem down some more....enuff

Offline FLi !

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
omarldinho  - an adult doing this poll...once determined, can't do nuthen bout it....nobody can't do anything with the info....won't even discuss in a rum shop...usually ppl want to know who is the best...or worse....but this one wants to know who could of been....Everybody could have been better than they did...including you coulda come with a better poll.....chupidness

I oersonally fedup watching fans waste down players, unnecessarily....we supposed to be supporters, and when someone slips off our perception of glory...we kicking dem down some more....enuff

u don't kick them down, but u acknowledge their mistakes, while focussing on the positive. You support yes in good and bad, but if you don't show a person where they have room for improvement, you're doing them a HUGE disservice, in that they will never improve if they don't think there is any areas in which they can improve . There is something called Constructive Criticism. I'm personally fed up of any human being with loads of talent and potential in any discipline, be it sport of otherwise, letting it go to waste.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2006, 09:01:19 AM by FLi ! »

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I wouldn't say that Dwarika lived up to his full potential, but I am surprised to see that a man who represent the country at senior level for a dozen years, have 70 caps, score 27 goals playing primarily as a midfielder, won the Caribbean player of the year once, T&T player of the year 3 times and make a gold cup all-star team would be the choice as the biggest underachiever in the history of T&T football.

Offline FLi !

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I wouldn't say that Dwarika lived up to his full potential, but I am surprised to see that a man who represent the country at senior level for a dozen years, have 70 caps, score 27 goals playing primarily as a midfielder, won the Caribbean player of the year once, T&T player of the year 3 times and make a gold cup all-star team would be the choice as the biggest underachiever in the history of T&T football.

perhaps because he never managed to transfer that success outside of the Caribbean....

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
They at some point attain National Level, whey many supporters who clap dem or boo dem over-achieve, or even achieve....what ? we hope they read this, and get motivated to do something....what is the purpose of them reading this....it ain't no private discussion here...We shouting Loud for T&T supporters and opponents to hear...We on World Class level now (whether we ready for dey or not), not down in the black hole as before....wha dey does say "yuh could take the mind out

anyway, yuh saying now, yuh trying to jolt Dwarika into achieving his potential Fli ?

thks daryn

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

fair enough Maxg...point well taken.

I choose "Baba" not because I thought he wasted his talents or anything as such, but for whatever reason(s) he didn't get the opportunity to go abroad and really shine. Maybe it was poor decision making on his or his agent's(if he had one) part, or perhaps nothing ever came his way, but certainly not because of anything he did, but I don't know. I just firmly believe that he coulda done big things elsewhere.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach

I choose "Baba" not because I thought he wasted his talents or anything as such, but for whatever reason(s) he didn't get the opportunity to go abroad and really shine. Maybe it was poor decision making on his or his agent's(if he had one) part, or perhaps nothing ever came his way, but certainly not because of anything he did, but I don't know. I just firmly believe that he coulda done big things elsewhere.

So how is "not getting opportunity" equal underachievement.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Latas...given his skill and abilities he should have been playing for Real Madrid or Barcelona not Porto or Rangers.

I see what you say, but in his day Porto was up there.......some would argue that they still are.

I nominate Dwarika
« Last Edit: April 22, 2006, 10:35:43 AM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
I doh know who de hell Jr. Hamilton is.

I heard great things about Boney, never saw him play. But anbody who start off as a teenager in the Brz. first div. and ten years later end up playing indoor in America...well something went wrong.

Faustin and Charles did their best. They were hard working ballers who I guess never got that big break.

Dwarika just wasted his gift. On the national side at age 17...the man just seemed content to be a star in TT. He honestly seemed to lack ambition. The fact that JP gave away this gifted player for 1 dollar TT says it all.

I believe that you have to add Colin Rocke and Terry "Jughead" St. Louis to that list.

Tremendously gifted...St. Louis was wonderful to watch. He end up playing A League with Toronto Raptors and later Vancouver.

Never really see Hardest...just heard about him....from what I have observed, I have to go with Dwarika.

You think if you had given Faustin or Hutson that chance in Scotland, they woulda blow it so...they woulda buss ass to make it.

Peace,
VB

VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline trinidad badboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

jemmot and dwarike should be next to each other in that poll..

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

So how is "not getting opportunity" equal underachievement.

Well I don't know his circumstances, it could have been lack of opportunity or something else, but I just felt that for a player of his caliber he should have or could have"achieved" more by playing abroad. Hense "underachievement".

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
I'd have to say Marvin Faustin could have and should have  done a lil better given his abilities...I just think Dwarika wotless an I wont give him that level of importance. Paul elliot Allen was another talented one who waste his time a bit.

Offline superoli

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
man you leave off colin rock ?
he is one of the best saints produce !
Superoli for President of TTFF
I have one promise...........
A professional organization for professional players

Offline kingman

• Most Wanted
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Football talk = socawarriors.net
Kerwyne Jemmot was a fantastic player. I can recall clearly when you use to play with Queens Park rangers. He was quality!! I could not believe that a player could go from such class and ability to almost non-existent. It's sad.  :(

Kingman

Paradise lies in ones' heart

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
And what about ...e ou a check de danger oh...Alibey in ah de area  ;D
those who saw him play will tell you he was better than he ever played at national level ...maybe some people never get over de fete match syndrome...
add to the list Ian clausel ... the dread dribbler who never blossomed after colleges league but threatened much more than that.

Offline SUPA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Ah fully agree with yuh on dat, ah remember reading some years back, dat ah couple managers on big teams loved his skills, but didn't give him ah chance because of his height. However, according tuh de list posted, ah pick Nixon, when dat youth went abroad, before any injuries, he name was linked tuh some big clubs, ah think Napoli was one, they were in de top division at dat time. In dem days he use tuh pass defenders like if dey were in reverse.
RIP Micahel Jackson.

Money doh change we, we are de money changer. But fool if yuh dis, it will surely be danger. Large up de Enterprise and Alliance every time. KROSS KROSS.

Offline che

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Dwarika, should have been next in line after Latas.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
I remember reading a newspaper archive from 1992. After the Shell Cup final Pele said that Dwarika had the ability to play in any of the top leagues in the world. Given Pele's reputation for overstatement perhaps it not the most effective justification for concluding that Dwarika is the greatest underachiever in T&T's history. That man can play football but he has a piss poor attitude.

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I'd say Latapy - could have done so much better than Porto and Rangers

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
We really doh know.it has to have some perimeters.Trinidad football history is about 100 yrs old.
 Anyway,ah doh know how much a you youngters here about him but my vote goes to Ian "Dread Dribbler" Clauzel. The biggest waste potential in TnT from the late '70's - now.
 Many Trinis at that time taught he may be one of the greatest.Even Pele and Beckanbauer complimented him when he scored against Cosmos in de Oval for the Caribbean All Stars.
 It even had a QRC teacher de Pharoah himself Rudy Piggot who predited the second coming of Pele because he and Pele shared de same birthday 23rd October.
 After all was said and done I ain't even sure he has one national cap.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
After all was said and done I ain't even sure he has one national cap.

You are correct, he never played fuh de senior team, however he did represent T&T at de U-19 level. De story goes dat fuss Roderick Warner didn't want ah locks man on de team, he end up firing de wuk.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

1]; } ?>