May 12, 2024, 10:35:31 AM

Author Topic: Carlos signs with Sunderland FC.  (Read 54396 times)

Offline fivers

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Carlos signs with Sunderland FC.
« on: January 02, 2007, 11:59:50 AM »
Carlos signs with Sunderland.
.... Dwight behind move.
By: Shawn Fuentes (TTFF Media).
[/size]

Trinidad and Tobago midfielder Carlos Edwards has set his sights on guiding new club Sunderland to Premiership promotion after signing a new three-year contract with the club on Tuesday valued at £1.5m.
Coincidentally, the 28-year-old Edwards now joins National team captain Dwight Yorke at the club who was instrumental in getting Roy Keane to sign the former Defence Force playmaker. And Edwards’ deal has the biggest value for a T&T international since Yorke’s £12.6m move to Manchester United in 1998.
"We're absolutely delighted to have captured such a sought-after, top player," said Black Cats boss Keane.
"A lot of clubs have been interested in Carlos, so it's great that he will be here at Sunderland to play his part in getting this club back to the Premiership."
Edwards became the first Luton player since Mal Donaghy in 1982 to represent his county in the World Cup finals last summer and his impressive performances for Trinidad and Tobago linked him with a move away from Kenilworth Road.
A beaming Edwards expressed satisfaction with his new move moments after leaving Sunderland’s Stadium of Light where he signed his contract on Tuesday. He moved to a club now 10th on the Championship Table from Luton which is now in 19th spot.
“I’m actually just driving back home after signing the deal. I didn’t expect the news to be out already,” Edwards laughed as he spoke to TTFF Media when being told it had already grabbed front page headlines on the BBC official site.
Edwards spoke of Yorke’s influence and the fact he chose to be part of Sunderland’s promotion drive rather than sign with a Premiership club.
“I must say it is something I wanted to do which is to sign a contract like this. Dwight had a big part to do with it. He called me up and the manager inquired and then the deal materialized. Dwight spoke highly about the club and about the role I could play in helping them back into the Premiership. And I saw it all for myself when I visited the club today… the facility is fantastic,” Edwards told TTFF Media.
“It’s a dream come true really and now being part of the club I am hoping for better things because we will be pushing for promotion. We are only three points off the playoffs and hopefully I can do my part now as a new signing.”
Edwards added that he was sure his presence and performance at the 2006 World Cup played a part in this move.
“Teams don’t sign you unless they feel you have something special and can add it to the club. And Roy Keane may have seen something and I’m glad it came through.
“Being at the World Cup definitely has played a part in this. There is going to be interest in any player who has been at the World Cup regardless of the height of the club. It takes quality players to play in a World Cup and unfortunately more of our players didn’t make moves as well. The guys now need to continue working and try to emulate players like myself who have moved on through hard work. I crept before I walked – from back home to Wrexham to Luton and now to Sunderland,” Edwards added.
And about the fact that Premiership clubs Newcastle United, Watford, Charlton Athletic and Scotland’s Celtic also showed interest, Edwards promptly stated “This is what most people will talk about. They will think it’s a bad decision if they see it as giving up a chance to play on the bigger stage. I know money has a lot to play in football. I love to play football and I didn’t want to sign a multi-million dollar contract to maybe sit on the bench. I have a talent and I need to be playing. I will cherish this deal and hopefully take into the Premiership. It’s a challenge but I am positive that during my contract here we will end up in the Premiership,” Edwards ended. He is expected to make his debut for Sunderland in Saturday’s FA Cup fixture away to Preston North End.
Edwards signed for Luton in May 2005 from Wrexham after attracting interest from Mike Newell for some time - the Hatters boss originally tried to sign the 28-year-old during his time as Hartlepool manager.
He spent five seasons at Wrexham after signing from Trinidad side Defence Force in June 2000 for £125,000, helping the Red Dragons win the LDV Vans trophy in 2005.
Edwards: My debt to Fergie.
By: James Hunter (Evening Chronicle).
[/size]

Carlos Edwards has revealed he owes Sir Alex Ferguson a favour for recommending him to Sunderland boss Roy Keane. Trinidad and Tobago international Edwards joined Sunderland earlier this month in a £1.5m switch from Luton Town.
The fact Edwards spoke to Sunderland's Dwight Yorke, who plays alongside him at international level, about the move before agreeing to sign is no secret - but Ferguson's role in the deal is less well known.
Before signing him, Keane spoke to Ferguson and the Manchester United chief had no hesitation in singing Edwards' praises.
Fergie knew all about Edwards after seeing him several times when the winger was a team-mate of his son Darren at Wrexham.
Edwards said: "I was amazed when I heard Sir Alex had recommended me to Roy Keane - it is very flattering.
"I played alongside his son Darren for five years at Wrexham and I knew he came to watch us a few times.
"I remember meeting him once when he came into the dressing room at the end of a match.
"For someone like Sir Alex to speak to the gaffer and tell him good things about me is just fantastic."
Edwards moved from Wrexham to Luton in the summer of 2005 and enjoyed his time at Kenilworth Road - but admits he was looking to move his career forward and jumped at the chance to move to Sunderland.
He added: "I am not the type to be linked with a lot of clubs and then be asking for a move.
"I just concentrated on my football and when the chance came to join a big club like Sunderland I knew it was right for me."
Edwards made his Black Cats debut in the FA Cup defeat at Preston and then made his first start, and home debut, in the win against Ipswich last weekend.
The Wearsiders are only a point outside the play-off places and go to Sheffield Wednesday this weekend looking to increase the pressure on the clubs above them.
Edwards said: "There are going to be more than 6,000 Sunderland fans there. We will all be doing our best to give them something to smile about."
Keane refused to comment today on reports linking him with Plymouth centre-half Tony Capaldi, Colchester stopper Greg Halford and Man United's Alan Smith. He was also tight-lipped on claims Birmingham City are interested in signing Republic of Ireland striker Stephen Elliott.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 09:41:06 AM by Flex »

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
Re: Carlos signs with Sunderland FC
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 12:03:36 PM »
I wish Carlos all the best!! not sure if it was a good move, but that is not for me to judge.

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline chinee boi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 12:04:46 PM »
I wish Carlos all the best!! not sure if it was a good move, but that is not for me to judge.

Big Up!

feel the same way but sah wah...yuh say it right not we to judge

Congrats Carlos!!!!

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
  • I Love 5 things,my 3 Babies/ManU/Wife in dat order
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 12:05:16 PM »
Big up Carlos, ah tell alyu dat shot call long time.  I wish Sunderland and Carlos all de best :beermug: :beermug: :beermug: :beermug:
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2007, 12:06:43 PM »
"the yorke effect"

sunderland making a playoff push right now. a bit inconsistent at times though.

http://www.safc.com/news/?page_id=11371

Cats swoop for winger Edwards

By Martin Walker

Sunderland have completed the signing of exciting Trinidad and Tobago international Carlos Edwards in a £1.5m deal.

The tricky right winger has joined the Black Cats from Luton, signing a three-and-a-half-year deal at the Stadium of Light, to complete a hectic day of transfers on Wearside tonight.

The signing follows Marton Fulop's completed permanent deal from Tottenham, while Ben Alnwick (Tottenham), Liam Lawrence (Stoke), Rory Delap (Stoke) and Robbie Elliott (Leeds) all left the club today.

Edwards is an international team-mate of Dwight Yorke and the 28-year-old starred in last summer's World Cup finals.

"We're absolutely delighted to have captured such a sought-after, top player," said Black Cats boss Roy Keane.

"A lot of clubs have been interested in Carlos, so it's great that he will be here at Sunderland to play his part in getting this club back to the Premiership."

Edwards became the first Luton player since Mal Donaghy in 1982 to represent his county in the World Cup finals last summer and his impressive performances for Trinidad and Tobago linked him with a move away from Kenilworth Road.

The midfielder played a key role in helping T&T secure their first-ever appearance in the finals of the tournament.

He gave a man-of-the-match performance in the country's opening game against Sweden and also impressed against England and Paraguay - and his displays in the tournament were considered a bright spot in T&T's tournament.

Edwards signed for Luton in May 2005 from Wrexham after attracting interest from Mike Newell for some time - the Hatters boss originally tried to sign the 28-year-old during his time as Hartlepool manager.

He spent five seasons at Wrexham after signing from Trinidad side Defence Force in June 2000 for £125,000, helping the Red Dragons win the LDV Vans trophy in 2005.

Carlos Edwards - The RecordBorn   
Port of Spain, Trinidad, 24.10.78 (28)
Nationality   Trinidad and Tobago (57 caps, 1 goal)
Position   Right midfield
Height   5ft 11ins (180cm)
Weight   11st 7lbs (73kg)

League and Cup    Apps    Goals
 Defence Force, Trinidad (1999-00)    Not available    Not available
 Wrexham (2000-05)      180    25
 Luton Town (2005-07)     74    8
 TOTAL    254    33

TrinInfinite

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2007, 12:07:36 PM »
u hadda b joking with me, what ah stupid move by edwards, yorke shoudlnt have persuaded him tuh do that, schupsssssssss....

Man give up epl and celtic for sunderland, real stupid move if yuh ask me..

God is de BOSS...

Offline lickslikefire

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2007, 12:09:30 PM »
Lawd I wanted to see him in de EPL bad...maybe next year  ;D

Congrats Carlos  :beermug:

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2007, 12:15:25 PM »

Doh worry he go make it to de EPL and den we go see yorke and carlos in de lineup

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2007, 12:16:15 PM »
boss i cyar believe this  but i wish him the best
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2007, 12:16:42 PM »

Doh worry he go make it to de EPL and den we go see yorke and carlos in de lineup

dem eh making that this season
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2007, 12:17:37 PM »

dem eh making that this season

True but it go happen :beermug: :beermug:

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2007, 12:19:27 PM »
Steuppsssssssssssss

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2007, 12:23:12 PM »
Who said the decision was his ? Was'nt he under contract with Luton ?Sometimes de manager does call you into his office and say you've just been sold.

Offline RGarcia

• Forward To Mid-Field to Defense
  • Hero Warrior
  • Who Jah bless, no man curse!
    • View Profile
Re: Carlos signs with Sunderland FC.
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2007, 12:43:35 PM »
Remember the $$$$ talk too. its all a business
All American

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2007, 12:46:33 PM »
Remember the $$$$ talk too. its all a business

Exactly, but I also think dat carlos was thinking dat he go get de experience from being under Yorke and Keane too IMO

Offline Trini Madness

• Heart....miles and miles of heart
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2007, 12:59:52 PM »
congrats carlos......sunderland should go after birchy and john also  ::) im not liking that 1 trini on pitch per game going on at coventry. sunderland will rip up championship for sure
A dream you don't fight for will haunt you for the rest of your life.

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2007, 01:01:00 PM »
No more busspepper fetes for Carlos. I hope he feels he made the right choice good luck to him

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2007, 01:07:01 PM »
Football is fun and games and a business. Right now it pure business. Good Luck Carlos.

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2007, 01:07:56 PM »
steups

anyway all the best Carlos, hopefully someday soon you can play at the level of your capability
« Last Edit: January 02, 2007, 01:10:07 PM by Grande man »

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2007, 01:15:22 PM »
I'm very sad at this move. I wanted to see an EPL team pick him up.

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2007, 01:17:02 PM »

**alerts suicide watch**

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2007, 01:18:12 PM »
I just hope he lock down a spot on the first team and continue to get a regular run and play well. This is a side on the up. Hopefully they make it to the EPL for next season and he continue the form he been showing this year.

Congrats Carlos!! :beermug:
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline RGarcia

• Forward To Mid-Field to Defense
  • Hero Warrior
  • Who Jah bless, no man curse!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2007, 01:22:09 PM »

**alerts suicide watch**
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
All American

Offline big dawg

• Hero Warrior
  • smallest country to ever play in a world cup final
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2007, 01:30:29 PM »
Lets look at the table that really matters.

While Many of us expected him to go to the EPL.. if we look at the numbers we can accept the move in theory...

1 Birmingham City 53 27 16 5 6 46 26 20
2 Derby County 50 27 15 5 7 36 28 8 
3 Preston North End 47 27 13 8 6 40 28 12
4 Southampton 45 27 12 9 6 44 32 12 
5 West Bromwich Albion 43 27 12 7 8 48 31 17 
6 Colchester United 43 27 13 4 10 45 30 15 
7 Stoke City 43 26 12 7 7 35 21 14 
8 Cardiff City 43 27 11 10 6 36 28 8 
9 Wolverhampton Wanderers 42 27 12 6 9 28 29 -1 
10 Sunderland 40 27 12 4 11 36 32 4 (This team definatley not rising to the EPL nest season)
11 Sheffield Wednesday 40 27 11 7 9 39 37 2 
12 Burnley 37 26 10 7 9 32 28 4 
13 Plymouth Argyle 36 27 8 12 7 33 34 -1 
14 Ipswich Town 35 27 10 5 12 37 37 0 
15 Crystal Palace 34 27 9 7 11 31 32 -1 
16 Coventry City 34 27 10 4 13 25 31 -6 
17 Norwich City 34 27 9 7 11 34 42 -8 
18 Leicester City 32 27 8 8 11 26 34 -8 
19 Luton Town 31 27 8 7 12 35 45 -10 (This Team 3 places from relegation to League One
20 Queens Park Rangers 30 27 8 6 13 34 41 -7 
21 Hull City 27 27 7 6 14 27 38 -11 
22 Barnsley 26 27 7 5 15 29 47 -18
23 Leeds United 24 27 7 3 17 27 49 -22 
24 Southend United 21 27 4 9 14 22 45 -23

Re-Group, Re-Energize, Return
We'll be back...
I don't know when

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2007, 01:36:15 PM »

While Many of us expected him to go to the EPL.. if we look at the numbers we can accept the move in theory...

10 Sunderland 40 27 12 4 11 36 32 4 (This team definatley not rising to the EPL nest season)

Take is from a Person who follows Championship, You cannot assume Sunderland are definatley not getting promotion. The Championship is a very very FUNNY Like 3 wins & your back in the play-off mix again.
Study that table again

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2007, 01:37:26 PM »
That sucks :-\
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2007, 01:39:23 PM »
I wish him the best of luck, cause in the last year there was no other player in the world to improve as much as Carlos did.

Honestly I don't trust the Coach at Saunderland. I could be wrong.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Mr Mc

• Hero Warrior
  • Take pride in yuh side!! Vibes it Up!!!
    • View Profile
    • Trini Jungle Juice
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2007, 01:41:17 PM »
I was really hoping he went to the EPL or Birmingham City.  Lets see if he can help Sunderland rise up the table even more.  Who knows still half a season to go anyting could happen.  A few months back Luton looked like they were pushing for promotion.

What else has sunderland done to sure up their other positions. Seems like they lost 3 players.

Offline big dawg

• Hero Warrior
  • smallest country to ever play in a world cup final
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2007, 01:46:00 PM »

Take is from a Person who follows Championship, You cannot assume Sunderland are definatley not getting promotion. The Championship is a very very FUNNY Like 3 wins & your back in the play-off mix again.Study that table again

I understand what yuh sayin...but you can say that for any league on planet earth.....say or think what yuh what Carlos playing in the League championship next season
Re-Group, Re-Energize, Return
We'll be back...
I don't know when

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2007, 01:52:11 PM »

Take is from a Person who follows Championship, You cannot assume Sunderland are definatley not getting promotion. The Championship is a very very FUNNY Like 3 wins & your back in the play-off mix again.Study that table again

I understand what yuh sayin...but you can say that for any league on planet earth.....say or think what yuh what Carlos playing in the League championship next season

YOU SERIOUSLY don't Understand THE CHAMPIONSHIP, I hope JayTheWrecker comes around soon because I'm sure he will tell you the same.

1]; } ?>