May 17, 2024, 10:38:53 AM

Author Topic: Lady Hochoy dies at 99  (Read 8047 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Lady Hochoy dies at 99
« on: April 18, 2010, 08:36:36 AM »
Lady Hochoy dies at 99
By Michelle Loubon (T&T Guardian)

Lady Thelma Hochoy, the wife of the late Governor-General Sir Solomon Hochoy died at the age of 99 yesterday. An official of the Lady Hochoy Home, Cocorite, which is dedicated to assisting special children, said she would have been 100 in September. She had a touch of Alzheimers. She was born in St Madeleine.

Hochoy was the last governor of T&T and the Solomon Hochoy Highway was named in his honour. Thelma Hochoy was widely regarded as a humanitarian who reached out to the differently-abled children and youth. Lady Hochoy established the Lady Hochoy Home to help disabled children. She also opened a home in the heights of Guanapo in the late 1970s. She assisted with the rebuilding a new RC Church in Las Cuevas and another in La Fillette. She will be regarded as a great patriot.

Diego Martin resident Clayton Morle, 83, who knew the Hochoys said: “Thelma was quite a nice lady. I think she was a little Chinese girl from somewhere in Blanchisseuse. “I knew her when she lived at the quarters around Dundonald Street. Solomon was then Colonial Secretary. He was a civil servant who used to work in labour. I knew them when I went to audit the books.

The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
Re: Lady Hochoy dies at 99
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 09:24:27 AM »
Lady because of your husband, I thought Jesus Christ was ah chinese man.
Not my fault nuh! At 4 years old ah chinee girl bring to school ah snap ah he and say datz Jesus. See me gone home vex and go rip up all dey caucasian snaps ah Jesus - get dey cut arse ah meh life from meh grandmudda and gone to bed confused no arse.  >:(

Anyways ah legacy gone! RIP Lady Hockoy.
I'm guessing no kids?

Lemme go an read up.

BTW what the ass is ah "touch of Alzheimer's". steupse!! Everybody does forget now ah again...some conveniently.

edit***
http://www.nalis.gov.tt/Biography/bio_LADY-THELMA-HOCHOY-90thb-dayof1stlady.htm

Sonja Sinaswee found Thelma Hochoy, who was Trinidad and Tobago's "First Lady", reflecting on her 90 years as wife of Governor-General Sir Solomon Hochoy.

Ninety years ago today, a beautiful baby girl was born to Peter and Lilla Huggins, owners of a dry goods store in Ste Madeleine.

This simple country girl, christened Thelma Huggins, would grow up to become the wife of a respected leader during Trinidad and Tobago's colonial days, and more importantly, to carve her own place in this country's history.

Her name is Lady Thelma Hochoy, widow of Sir Solomon Hochoy, the last Governor General of this country.  She also is founder of the Lady Hochoy Home.  Today, Hochoy, affectionately known as "The Lady", celebrates her 90th birthday - a day marked by a Thanksgiving mass and a celebratory lunch with family and friends.

I first met the Lady when she turned 88 in 1998.  I visited her during a birthday celebration at her home on Alcazar Street in St Clair.

This time, two years later, my interview took me to the other of the country - Valsayn - where the Lady has been living with her daughter and son-in-law for almost two years.

"We had been trying to persuade her for some time (to move in with us)," explained her daughter, Joyce Chinasing.

"She's very independent and she lived in that house (on Alcazar Street) since 1948, so leaving was difficult.  But she couldn't live by herself anymore."

A hip injury, which she suffered a few years ago, began to take its toll on her health, and other complications of aging - arthritis, hearing loss and memory lapses - became more debilitating.

So the Lady gave her St Clair home to the Order of the Carmelite Nuns and moved in with her daughter.

"She's getting weaker every day," Chinasing said frankly, when asked about her mother's health, "but she still has a lot of life in her."

This the Lady confirmed as she emerged, supported by a walker, from the living room of the Queen Elizabeth Street house.

"I'm not feeling good.  You eh see I could scarcely walk?" she said, all the while smiling.

The sparkle in her eyes I observed two years ago is still very present.  The Lady has been honoured with several awards, including one from the Pope.  She has even been offered the Trinity Cross for her work, but the Lady refused, because she felt she was undeserving of such an honour.

Her greatest achievement, she said, was the establishment of the Lady Hochoy Home in Cocorite, in existence for 42 years now.

"There wasn't a home for retarded children when we decided to open one," she said.

The Lady noted this year's opening of the Parent / Teacher's Resource Centre at the Home in Cocorite.  She also said she was looking forward to the completion of the Blanchisseuse Presbytery, a project on which she worked diligently to raise funds.

"She is not physically able to contribute anymore," Chinasing said, "but the Home is always her concern."

When asked about her birthday plans, the Lady grinned and said: "You have to ask Mrs. Chinasing.  I hear she's organising a party.  But I not studying no birthday."

"It's a long time, yuh know - 90 years.  I suppose I have to do something," she added.

Although her "brains not good anymore," as she stated, the Lady is very cognisant of her mortality.

"I'm just waiting until the good Lord says he's ready for me," she said at the end of the interview, to which her daughter quickly responded: "Not yet.  You have to stay with me for a little while yet."

« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 09:29:52 AM by Prematie Bheem »

Offline E-man

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 11:47:49 AM »

BTW what the ass is ah "touch of Alzheimer's". steupse!! Everybody does forget now ah again...some conveniently.

A smidgen of cancer, a sprinkling of diabetes, a dash of AIDS, a speck of heart disease, small 'ting

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 02:13:15 PM »
Very nice read Cana... so many different patriots, from such diverse walks of life.  Trinidad has the potential to be great, if only we'd wake up and recognize it.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 04:15:05 PM »
Very nice read Cana... so many different patriots, from such diverse walks of life.  Trinidad has the potential to be great, if only we'd wake up and recognize it.

Rest in Peace Lady Hochoy!!!!!! The end of an era. from what I heard of her, She was a very down to earth person. She used her position to champion lots of fund raisers for charitiies. God Bless!!!!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 05:49:49 PM by Deeks »

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 05:15:09 PM »
RIP Lady
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

truetrini

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 05:25:07 PM »
I really sad too. Great lady.

On a side bar, how come JC eh come with he condolences yet?   He is alumni of her school.

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 04:22:24 PM »
RIP lady Hochoy!!!
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile