May 05, 2024, 05:38:10 AM

Author Topic: Are we going to be ‘also rans’?  (Read 9044 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Are we going to be ‘also rans’?
« on: September 18, 2006, 08:23:54 AM »
Are we going to be ‘also rans’?
By Kirk Perreira (T&T Mirror)

NATIONAL coach Anton Corneal has to put on his thinking cap, I recommend, before he gets himself into a confrontation with the Secondary Schools Football League (SSFL).

Listening to Atomic Anton and Whimsy Wim on the issue of our national Under-16 players, one would think that national football is the be-all and end-all of these youngsters’ lives.

If it is so important -- qualification for the Under-17 World Youth Championships -- then don’t stop with the SSFL. Why not take them away from their environment, parents and education and let them play football for eight hours every day so they can concentrate on qualification?

But after qualification, what’s next?

Is T&T going to be ‘also rans’ or are the young Jumpers and Wavers going to win the global tournament?

I suspect Atomic Anton is being hasty, although it appears he has good intentions as a coach, but, as a guardian and mentor for those youngsters, he’s way too absent-minded for my liking.

Perhaps, Atomic Anton should try to remember the pride he took in wearing his Fatima College colours in those battles with St. Mary’s College and Mucurapo Senior Comprehensive back in the 70s when players like Ian Clauzel, Christian Rodriquez and himself drew the crowds and entertained the fans, and how much that helped in his development as a footballer, scholar and, I might add, as a human being.

Now, our world is going to be turned upside down by Atomic Anton, because the Jumpers and Waves qualified for Germany 2006 and our technical experts are setting unrealistic goals (forgive the pun) for all our National teams.

It would seem, to this humble scribe, that we have lost all sense of reality, and our senior coaches are hell-bent on going to every FIFA “World Cup”, even if that means destroying the traditional nursery for our young players.

I would have preferred that Atomic Anton create an alternative solution, rather than trying to destroy what the young players cherish so much and what is considered for so many the highlight of the local football season.

The rhetoric all sounds good, though; Atomic Anton’s insistence that we have to have our priorities straight and the national interest should come first. (I just hope the parents find their voices and put an end to this nonsense talk.)

Did our national coaches take into consideration the views of the parents of these boys before coming to their draconian proposal?

I may be wrong but it seems like a done deal; the players are going to be banned from playing for their schools because the “intensity level” is too low and they have to do “strength training.”

By the way, are Atomic Anton and Whimsy Wim guaranteeing those boys a place in the next under-17 world championships if they give up playing for their schools?

Life has its challenges and I think the know-all coaches should spend a little time developing a plan for the youngsters that includes them playing for their schools, so they can have the best of both worlds, without Atomic Anton taking after the SSFL with a big club.

This just seems so unnecessary and our technical experts should think careful before they execute this master plan; just a word of wisdom from someone with far more grey hair than Atomic Anton.

Give the boys the chance to be boys and stop talking about what Haiti is doing.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Are we going to be ‘also rans’?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006, 08:39:21 AM »
we are talking about 20 students not participating in a league with 100's of kids.

Each school can survive without their Star Boy

The league will go on without the stars and

The players can survive without playing SSFL

This is not a big issue, move on with the national training and move on with the league.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2006, 08:56:31 AM »

Perhaps, Atomic Anton should try to remember the pride he took in wearing his Fatima College colours in those battles

So which one would make a player prouder, playing for his school or his country?
Dotish comment.

It would seem, to this humble scribe, that we have lost all sense of reality, and our senior coaches are hell-bent on going to every FIFA “World Cup”

And why de hell should we not be hell-bent on going to a nex WC?    This man find we should feel the WC was a one-off ting and we should overs that whole scene? 
STEUPS

Offline Mr Mc

• Hero Warrior
  • Take pride in yuh side!! Vibes it Up!!!
    • View Profile
    • Trini Jungle Juice
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2006, 09:25:53 AM »
Does this guy even have any kids?
If it was me, i would want my son training with the National team.
Nobody can guarantee a place in the World Cup, but we have a better chance with the boys training as a team.
So what if he have more gray hairs!!!

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2006, 09:28:54 AM »
we are talking about 20 students not participating in a league with 100's of kids.

This is not a big issue, move on with the national training and move on with the league.

I disagree, a  big part of what has always been lacking in t&t with athletes is mental discipline

If you corral a bunch of youths and infer to them that they are the best of the best, I feel they will rest on their laurels

Dem fellahs is 15& 16...leh dem run ALL de blasted ball it have to run
By all accounts Latas and others use to run and kinda sweat anytime anywhere..bush league , quarry league, rock cake & solo league, whatever...doh matter
run de ball

Haiti may have academies because their competitive secondary school league may not be existent (I have no idea)

De man right...let boys be boys...if yuh coddle dem fellahs and feed dem peeled grapes and fan them...especially in a place like T&T, 'starboy' mentality is a given.

I doh see why dey cant play fuh dey school AND attend the 'elite' camp.
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2006, 09:45:13 AM »
agree dutty...cyah handle ah bunch ah trini Jacksons...let dem grow up...play with frens...get blank from gyul...enjoy football....

what happens if they give up all the memories of Icol, to just work and train...and turn round and lorse every game...yuh think they would really feel motivated to say., well we tried our best, though we get drop now we turn senior, cause Stern (38) and Dwight( 43) come back...meawhile they buds on here saying Remember when we lorse every game whole season, except the one we beat Fatima(e.g. ;D )...let the youths enjoy dey youth, we does force dem to grow up to fast....then lil boy does wha act like big man, whey before dey reach, ask Arse modders ?  :rotfl:
doh dig ah is ah Arse man too .

Offline Mr Mc

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Trini Jungle Juice
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2006, 10:31:18 AM »

I disagree, a  big part of what has always been lacking in t&t with athletes is mental discipline

If you corral a bunch of youths and infer to them that they are the best of the best, I feel they will rest on their laurels
By all accounts Latas and others use to run and kinda sweat anytime anywhere..bush league , quarry league, rock cake & solo league, whatever...doh matter
run de ball

Haiti may have academies because their competitive secondary school league may not be existent (I have no idea)

De man right...let boys be boys...if yuh coddle dem fellahs and feed dem peeled grapes and fan them...especially in a place like T&T, 'starboy' mentality is a given.

I cannot disagree with this post more if I tried!!

so basically because they are young, they should not be recognized as the best young footballers in the country and should not be selected and separated for special training and honing of their skills.

Do you know what yiou get when you recognize talent early on and nuture it, you end up with Tiger Woods, Venus and Sarena Williams, Kobe Bryant.
When parents have a kid that is talanted, they will sometimes uproot the whole family to move that kid somewhere so they can train and play with the best.  Ask Lebron James' mom about that and how he ended up in the High School he went too.

Why is it we calling keeping the National team together 'coddeling' and likening it to feeding peeled grapes?

How you think countries like China and the former USSR used to be power houses in sports like Gymnastics, by having thier top athletes compete for their high school.

We trying to go to another level, we have to trying something new.....doh fraid the change

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2006, 10:36:16 AM »
The man is a writer with the Mirror and all yuh expect him to write sense. The fellas in the Express and the Guardian does write crap.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Baygo Boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2006, 10:55:25 AM »
I agree that it is important for our U-17 team to train together at this point, but there must be provisions for them to continue their education - because the fact is most would not go on to fruitful football careers.

The problem I had with Anton was that he used the word "ban"  - we all know that you "ban" someone as part of a punishment. I was upset when he said he was thinking about banning the players, when clearly the players, or the SSFL did nothing wrong - his approach was borderline irresponsible.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2006, 10:56:03 AM »
[

so basically because they are young, they should not be recognized as the best young footballers in the country and should not be selected and separated for special training and honing of their skills.

Do you know what yiou get when you recognize talent early on and nuture it, you end up with Tiger Woods, Venus and Sarena Williams, Kobe Bryant.
When parents have a kid that is talanted, they will sometimes uproot the whole family to move that kid somewhere so they can train and play with the best.  Ask Lebron James' mom about that and how he ended up in the High School he went too.

Why is it we calling keeping the National team together 'coddeling' and likening it to feeding peeled grapes?

How you think countries like China and the former USSR used to be power houses in sports like Gymnastics, by having thier top athletes compete for their high school.

We trying to go to another level, we have to trying something new.....doh fraid the change

I dont have an issue with keeping the nat'l team together...I have an issue with putting them in some sort of bubble only

You cant compare trini with china and russia with an immense amount of human resources for these elite kids to compete against...constantly.....so even if they are the best in their town, or even province at the elite school they still have to fight for the top country spot

With regard to the williams sisters, thats exactly why their father DIDNT put them in elite tennis academies to train...you have any idea how many parents does think they kids is the next best thing,sell they house to send them kids to school and ...nuttn does happen

Kobe&Le bron is them really rare phenomenons that high schools does draft...it have plenty other kids that other elite high schools does draft and they flame out for one reason or another
NCAA ballers does still play neighbourhood pick up games
NBA players does play summer leagues to improve

My thought is at 15/16 they should be able to do BOTH (school and nationals) ......the cream will always rise to the top regardless

I not above trying something different, but trini culture is one where you put these fellahs in some insular little world and egos will get over hyped
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2006, 11:08:26 AM »

I disagree, a  big part of what has always been lacking in t&t with athletes is mental discipline

run de ball

There a huge gaps in the information at my disposal. The following are questions I have.
1. Are there any players from Tobago in this "program"? If so, what's been done to facilitate their participation?
2. Players attening school in remote locations (questions in #1 apply).
3. If it a strength program as Anton stated, could it not be structured around the league schedule?
4. How much time during the school week, does Anton need to meet with his players, and what time of day?
5. Has the door being closed on other emerging talent? Who is looking at the SSFL games with an eye for players that were missed?

In a general way, I think the players should be permitted to play for their schools. I also believe that Anton and Whim aren't planning, but making decisions on the fly  ;D
Live large and prosper!

Offline Mr Mc

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Trini Jungle Juice
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2006, 11:08:53 AM »

I dont have an issue with keeping the nat'l team together...I have an issue with putting them in some sort of bubble only

You cant compare trini with china and russia with an immense amount of human resources for these elite kids to compete against...constantly.....so even if they are the best in their town, or even province at the elite school they still have to fight for the top country spot

With regard to the williams sisters, thats exactly why their father DIDNT put them in elite tennis academies to train...you have any idea how many parents does think they kids is the next best thing,sell they house to send them kids to school and ...nuttn does happen

Kobe&Le bron is them really rare phenomenons that high schools does draft...it have plenty other kids that other elite high schools does draft and they flame out for one reason or another
NCAA ballers does still play neighbourhood pick up games
NBA players does play summer leagues to improve

My thought is at 15/16 they should be able to do BOTH (school and nationals) ......the cream will always rise to the top regardless

I not above trying something different, but trini culture is one where you put these fellahs in some insular little world and egos will get over hyped

If you worried about over inflated egos that that needs to be addressed, the answer is not to just leave them be without recognition and nuturing.

Both Kobe and LeBron transfered to 'basketball' High School, which are pretty much the same as academies, their programs are so top notch that athletes seeks out those school, to better their chances of going Pro, yes they are phenoms, but you dont want to risk it by saying well they good so no matter where they play and who they train with they will get noticed..too big a risk.

Most other athlete (here in the US) play on teams outside of their school teams, Traveling Baseball and soccer.  Tennis academies, Football camps and clinics during the summer, nobody who is serious but getting ahead in a sport thinks that playing at the HS level will sufice.
With some of these traveling teams you have to be invited to play, meaning if yuh aint good, you aint on the team, so the other teams you travel and play against are also top notch so your level of competition is higher than in HS.
Even with this sports structure in place, which we dont have in Trini, the US still sends their young footballers to an academy in Brendanton FL.

So if yuh think leaving them fellas in the SSFL, when they could be preparing for a WC that does not come everyyear, that playing in will raise their stock in terms of their future careers, is a good idea i have to disagree.

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2006, 11:27:28 PM »
Does the Mirror include an e-mail address for this fellas so we could straighten him out !
Warrior For Life !!

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2006, 11:42:41 PM »
The Media again. This has got to be the worst article I have read for a long time...But I have had the privilege of all the expert feedback from this lovely site.

They say Anton acted bad well this guy just talk one seta S£$$% with out thinking and put it out there for the public to read. Has no one heard of CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM. Every body just bad talking every one else.

Did Anton say that he was going to do anything ??? or did he say that he was thinking about it ??? Has anyone asked if he has plans in place or is everyone just assuming that he dosent ???

Don't get me wrong I am not an Anton fan but we talking about progress and going to another level.......we have to do it in all areas and that includes the media. We need better more informed articles.

Personally I really believe that the youths should stay out if there is a plan in place. If there is not then no problem, let them play. Staying out at this stage just means they train together....it does not mean that they stop going to school as some people are saying. Please don't get carried away, no body has said that. The guys go to school as normal but just train together as a team before or after school...or both.
This is just my opinion which I am entitled to, but to publicly bashing the coach of a youth team at this stage is not needed.

Offline futbolfan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2006, 06:35:56 AM »

I disagree, a  big part of what has always been lacking in t&t with athletes is mental discipline

run de ball

just ah side note...unfortunately they were power houses because of the "clear and the cream" aka steroids in those days....but ah understand the point yuh trying to emphasize.... :beermug: :beermug: :beermug:
The darkest hour is just before the dawn.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2006, 07:32:39 AM »
Rasta, if they going to school all over the country, and Tobago, what part of before or after school will they train together ? Nobody is an expert on life, that is why there are mistakes, and regrets, as well as successes. A man bother to write something and express he opinion, and it is classified as tata and waste. Maybe nobody should bother and let the chips fall where they may. Look ppl care, and you would find that it is for different reasons. If Anton's plan or thought is sound, then there would be very little to fault, if not then he should revise and re-present it, that's all. Is people life and children he dealing with, not ah bunch of numbers and objects like ah Jigsaw, where yuh could try ah piece here, if it doh fit, try another, and put that piece somewhere else.
ADD:
My thinking this whole youth WC thing is another way FIFA attempt to control people. WC should be ah senior event point finale. Selection and development of youths should be left to individual countries. Let youths should be allowed to grow and develop, not picked forced ripe, especially when the tree is having a major problem bearing fruit as it is. This is an opinion, not the total truth or total nonsense ! When more info is available, one can rethink and reevaluate one's opinion of the issue, until then....
« Last Edit: September 19, 2006, 07:40:50 AM by maxg »

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2006, 08:18:17 AM »
Atomic Anton want back his boys cause he see they ain't developing,even some of them just want to work with him according to past reports.IMo he want to ban the schools from these kids ,and he might be right .I don't know if it the same now or with all schools ,but the PE class there is a joke ,and there are no proper gyms or workout facilities in schools .The SSFL and schools should get there act together
before ,they start demanding anything, get proper gyms.
As for starboys ,either way them have large egos ,but atleast with proper coaching they might be able to back it up .

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2006, 09:18:07 AM »
What a blithering fool ? Atomic Anton and Whimsy Wim ? I've seen more crafty use of language from SEA students.

I can't believe that this crap was even printed. This man thinks having the players in InterCol is more important than qualifying for the World Cup. What errant nonsense ! Put them fellas in a live-in camp now. Recruit some teachers and structure classes and training sessions to suit. Forget intercol,you are on a higher level. In the future you could boast about being a national player and not some fella who used to sweat with Compree or CIC.

At the same time we can't just neglect the league. When the national football facility comes on stream we should have National teams training there right through. But at the same time We need to ensure that schools coaches become certified and that they are provided with the tools necessary to improve.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2006, 09:42:12 AM »
I think some ppl here just interpriting the article the way they want too but if you look carefully the guy is not saying the players should not be all together in a Camp,all he is saying is that they should not be banned from SSFL,they should be able to be involved in both and i totally agree with that.I think the article is a good one and it makes some sense.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2006, 10:06:53 AM »
The standard of InterCol is shamefully low. No national player should get caught up playing that mess.Those fellas need to be exposed to a higher level of training for us to make it to the World Cup.

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2006, 10:19:50 AM »
The standard of InterCol is shamefully low. No national player should get caught up playing that mess.Those fellas need to be exposed to a higher level of training for us to make it to the World Cup.
;D ;D
2 quick questions.

1. How does one become a national player? and
2. Where should they be playing?
Live large and prosper!

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2006, 10:36:01 AM »

ah feel yuh not thinking the whole issue through. Check, if the league poor now, with the best players sprinkled around it, how bad would it be without them. If you continue to remove the better players from the mix, how will the standard of football in any local league improve or at least be maintained. How will you develop the rest ? Do you only want to work with the early bloomers(gifted) and forget everyone else (majority)? I don't think the issue only involves taking the guys out of the league, as much as developing all the youths ? Suppose the youths taken out are the best this year, and next year there is 3-4 youths better, should you forget bout those 3-4 youths because when you made your choice last year, they weren't so good, or drop 3-4 that you pulled out, and just replace....so what did they miss their childhood mems for....To play for T&T, no matter they get six from Can, and drop 4 on Barbados.....We keep trying to find ways to drain the system, and expect the bucket to constantly remain full.

In my own experience, rubbing shoulders (or confronting) with players better than me, motivated me to improve, and when I got better, I was motivated to stay there. (only injury broke that cycle, not change of coach or admin)

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2006, 10:49:54 AM »
The Brazillians the, Americans and everybody who are serious have their players in camps or will soon have them join cams. I am having trouble with this whole issue of childhood memories. These players have already had opportunities at InterCol and will have at least 1 more opportunity to play InterCol. The coach isn't trying to take their childhood away from them. 

I do not support the abandonment of the league. I am simply saying while we take steps to enhance the league we must make provisions for our best players to have a chance at qualifying for the World Cup. Henry,Djorkaef, Ronaldinho, Eto'o,Xavi ,Kaka, Rui Costa, Figo and host of other big players were exposed to tournaments like this at an early age and obviously would have had to be withdrawn from the teams they were playing with. Exposing your youths the preparation and the environment necessary for top class football at an early age is not robbing them of the childhood it is preparing them for the big stage.
So when these fellas go to the world Cup in 2014 they would some idea what to expect.

I saw an U16 South American qualification tournament last year. That football is better than anything in the Pro-League and don't even talk about InterCol . What will we do to get our national U16 team on that level.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2006, 10:56:56 AM by Jah Gol »

Offline Mr Mc

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Trini Jungle Juice
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2006, 10:55:18 AM »

ah feel yuh not thinking the whole issue through. Check, if the league poor now, with the best players sprinkled around it, how bad would it be without them. If you continue to remove the better players from the mix, how will the standard of football in any local league improve or at least be maintained. How will you develop the rest ? Do you only want to work with the early bloomers(gifted) and forget everyone else (majority)? I don't think the issue only involves taking the guys out of the league, as much as developing all the youths ? Suppose the youths taken out are the best this year, and next year there is 3-4 youths better, should you forget bout those 3-4 youths because when you made your choice last year, they weren't so good, or drop 3-4 that you pulled out, and just replace....so what did they miss their childhood mems for....To play for T&T, no matter they get six from Can, and drop 4 on Barbados.....We keep trying to find ways to drain the system, and expect the bucket to constantly remain full.

In my own experience, rubbing shoulders (or confronting) with players better than me, motivated me to improve, and when I got better, I was motivated to stay there. (only injury broke that cycle, not change of coach or admin)

So by this same logic the best players in the PRO LEAGUE should not look to go abroad, but remain in Trini for the betterment of the league?
Not be exposed to higer levels of football that will make them better players and benefit the National team when the all come together? Stay in Trini playing amongst the best Trini has to offer,then when we meetup with the USAs and Mexicos what then?

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2006, 11:09:16 AM »

Is it shamefully low or are your standards incredibly high

It seems to me this is the conduit that our world cup players initially came through

Unless the excitement of the SSFL has dropped dramatically
SO Intercol poor and PFL poor too?

I think T&T should give up this football chupidness and focus on chess

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2006, 11:16:11 AM »
        I thought that was where you got those national players from so how come all of a sudden it's no good.The same thing is said about our Pro league but that's where we go when looking for players.

Offline Mr Mc

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Trini Jungle Juice
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2006, 11:29:14 AM »
I really think alot of this backlash is because is Anton Corneal who make the statement and the way he phrased it by saying he want to 'BAN' National players from the SSFL.
If he had done as someone suggested and simply scheduled paractice everyday, matches against other teams and camps and clinics...
nobody would have complained, except the coaches and schools, everybody else woulda simply say, "well what yuh go do the boys and them have to go National Team training."

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2006, 11:40:24 AM »
I really think alot of this backlash is because is Anton Corneal who make the statement and the way he phrased it by saying he want to 'BAN' National players from the SSFL.
If he had done as someone suggested and simply scheduled paractice everyday, matches against other teams and camps and clinics...
nobody would have complained, except the coaches and schools, everybody else woulda simply say, "well what yuh go do the boys and them have to go National Team training."

Wel it have no nicer way to phrase ban...ban mean ban...yuh banned mean yuh cannot go there

As someone suggested simply schedule the natl training around athe secondary school league

but is corneal we dealin wit...so starboy coach who feel the need to talk big in the media nah
so the coach has a large ego....Be interesting to see the type of players he produces

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2006, 11:44:28 AM »
If we continue to let schools hire jokey coaches,to train our best talent .Then we should do like that man say forget this football chupidness. Cause we spinning top in mud ,and wondering why we players not elite.Anton should let them play SSLF but have the right to take them ,for a1 or 2 week camp at his
choice ,no questions.

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2006, 11:47:28 AM »
What I gathered from Liburd's article about the "proposed ban" were:
1. That he would rather have the players do strength and endurance training, plus play some friendlies. On information and belief, there are no friendlies planned or in the works - red herring. I firmly believe that the endurance training can be structured around the SSFL schedule. Further, what can be done is to have the players gathered periodically for testing and monitoring.

2. He is concerned about bad habits setting in from playing in a slower paced game. That should not be a concern if the players have inculcated the habits of playing faster and simpler.

Based on those primary concern being satisfied, I still believe that Anton's proposed ban (as I understand it) is wide of the mark!
Live large and prosper!

1]; } ?>