May 11, 2024, 12:56:18 AM

Author Topic: Yorke: We are not going to make up numbers  (Read 1776 times)

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
Yorke: We are not going to make up numbers
« on: November 17, 2005, 10:45:56 AM »
source: www.soccernet.com

MANAMA, Nov 17 (Reuters) - Trinidad & Tobago plan to do much more than make up the numbers on their World Cup debut in Germany next year, according to captain Dwight Yorke.

The 34-year-old striker, a Champions League winner with Manchester United in 1999, said claiming a place at the sport's showpiece event ranked as one of the greatest achievements of his career.

'We don't plan to go there and be just another team,' Yorke told reporters before the players flew back to the Caribbean to celebrate their success in becoming one of the smallest nations to play in the World Cup.

'We can progress,' Yorke added. 'This team has already made a lot of progress and we can go a lot further. We aim to go there and to be counted.

'We have got seven months to prepare for the finals and we will do that well.'

Yorke came out of international retirement to captain his country to the finals.

'My decision to come out of international retirement was correct - very much so - and I am glad I did but I give a lot of credit to Bertie Sinclair, who was my first coach and mentor, someone I look up to immensely,' Yorke said.

'He talked me into coming back and making one last effort to represent my country and take my country to the World Cup.

'To do it again, now as captain, is something to be very proud of. Certainly with my career with winning big trophies and playing in the Premiership for Manchester United, to top it off with this is really the icing on the cake.'

Yorke, who has been scoring goals in Australia for Sydney FC this season, also paid tribute to Trinidad & Tobago coach Leo Beenhakker.

The Dutchman was appointed after the team made a poor start to their qualifying campaign, collecting only one point from three games.

'It took a special mixture of our Trinidad spirit and Dutch tactics to get us through,' Yorke said. 'Bahrain played extremely good in the first leg and deserved a 1-1 draw and could have had a 2-1 win, but we hung in there and we showed a lot of fighting spirit.

'We came here knowing we had to score a goal and knew it would be difficult. But we knew the pressure was on them to try and keep us out - and sometimes that works against you. This time it worked in our favour.

'All credit to to Leo Beenhakker. He came in and he turned things around with his experience, he moulded us together.'

Dennis Lawrence, the lanky defender who plays for Wrexham in the English fourth division, said he did not care that he had scored the winning goal, a header from a Yorke corner after 49 minutes.

'We had God to thank for that,' he said. 'It means so much to our people and we have to thank Him for that. I didn't care who scored the goal - only that we won the game. We came to do that and we did it.'

ah love it!!

updated

check out dis world cup qualificaiton analysis from goal.com

http://www.goal.com/NewsDetail.aspx?idNews=101549&progr=0

« Last Edit: November 19, 2005, 09:44:27 AM by Tallman »
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline Clarke

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Yorke: We are not going to make up munbers
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2005, 10:51:58 AM »
Well said Dwight and Dennis. We gonna do this thing.

Offline Rotato Poti

• Hero Warrior
  • VIBES IT UP!!!
    • View Profile
    • ACB reloaded
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2005, 10:54:31 AM »
about a month ago, I dream we were lining up with England in Germany and we beat them 2-0.'

I doh care that if it was a dream or not .... is one dream that bring us this far.

Offline oconnorg

• PROUD MEMBER OF THE WARRIOR NATION
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2005, 10:58:01 AM »
I told my co-workers that ... At the begning of the week actually.. i tld them, when we go to germany.. We not going to Lie down, and just bask that we there inthe first place.. We going to WIN , and we could Win at least 3 - 4 games... That was my decree....

Their response - KEEP DREAMING>!!!!!!

>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( If only I coulda SLAP DEM UP
COMMISSIONER OF THE ANTI WAGGONIST ASSOCIATION OF TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO (AWATT)

The Warrior Nation
www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2005, 11:14:39 AM »
i feel..no i know we could put a hurting on some of the big teams.  we going to show them the true warrior spirit sah.

Deustschland hier wi kommen!!

Offline SHOTTA

• HE WHO HESITATES MASTURBATES
  • Hero Warrior
  • NIGGAS JUST HATE ME BECAUSE THEY CANT BE ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2005, 11:20:20 AM »
we going an beat side talkkkk dun
now that we have mastered the language we can wield it as we may

Offline oconnorg

• PROUD MEMBER OF THE WARRIOR NATION
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2005, 11:33:05 AM »
i feel..no i know we could put a hurting on some of the big teams. we going to show them the true warrior spirit sah.

Deustschland hier wi kommen!!

You real lucky.. I nearly Charge yuh....
COMMISSIONER OF THE ANTI WAGGONIST ASSOCIATION OF TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO (AWATT)

The Warrior Nation
www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline Soca Taliban

• New Warrior
  • Trini 2 D Bone!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2005, 11:46:58 AM »
Dies right Yorke man, tell dem, we not going tuh d world cup fuh decoration, we going dey tuh WIN and perform well!

Offline canadiantrini

• togeter we aspire. together we achieve
  • Jr. Warrior
  • T+T=victory!
    • View Profile
Re: 'T&T not just going to make up numbers' - Yorke
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2005, 06:46:35 PM »
yorke is full of class, and really matured over the years. and big up to beenie too.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2005, 09:45:45 AM by Tallman »

1]; } ?>