May 09, 2024, 12:06:58 PM

Author Topic: The Golden Boy Keshorn Walcott Thread  (Read 102992 times)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
BREAKING NEWS - MILLIONS FOR KESHORN WALCOTT
« Reply #150 on: August 13, 2012, 09:00:52 PM »
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/166012876.html

Story Created: Aug 13, 2012 at 3:15 PM ECT

Trinidad and Tobago's Gold Medal Olympian Keshorn Walcott returned home from London today, to be feted at the Piarco International Airport before a motorcade accompanied him to his Toco home. The teenager left the airport a multi-millionaire, after the Prime Minister announced a bag of goodies to reward the nation's new athletic hero. Among the gifts -

* $1 million cash
* A house in Federation Park valued at $2.5 million
* 20,000 square feet of land in Toco
* A scholarship at the University of Trinidad and Tobago (UTT).
* Caribbean Airlines aircraft to be named after Keshorn Walcott
*Toco Lighthouse to be named the “Keshorn Walcott Toco Lighthouse”.
* Housing Development Corporation (HDC) project in Toco.
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: The Golden Boy Keshorn Walcott Thread
« Reply #151 on: August 13, 2012, 09:11:15 PM »
http://www.guardian.co.tt/news/2012-08-13/heroes%E2%80%99-welcome-today-tt%E2%80%99s-olympians

Heroes’ welcome today for T&T’s Olympians
Published: Monday, August 13, 2012
Geisha Kowlessar

Olympic gold medallist Keshorn Walcott will be given a hero’s welcome when he arrives at Piarco Airport at 9.45 am today. Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar and other government officials including Sport Minister Anil Roberts will be at the airport to welcome Walcott and seven other local athletes who will be arriving on Caribbean Airlines BW903 from Gatwick, London.

Walcott’s arrival is expected to attract hundreds of jubilant fans and well-wishers against a backdrop of steelband and tassa music and dances by local entertainers. Persad-Bissessar and Roberts will address the crowd from the airport’s atrium in the presence of the athletes. This is expected to last 45 minutes. They will then go to the airport’s VIP lounge where a press conference will be held, followed by a reception for the athletes.

The 19-year-old Walcott emerged victorious in the men’s javelin event, hurling the spear 84.58 metres in the second round. Walcott’s win represents T&T’s second gold medal in 36 years. Roberts who said yesterday he was still “beaming” over the young man’s success, added that the gold medal win would also help to further market the country. “I am indeed delighted to welcome home members of our most successful Olympic team,” he said.

“If they have not yet grasped the magnitude of their achievements, I am certain these young, brave athletes will appreciate the warm reception they are due to receive. We wish them safe travel and eagerly anticipate their return home.” At Walcott’s home yesterday at Trois Roche Village, there was a steady stream of family, friends, teachers and neighbours who have been celebrating his success since he won gold.

It was a victory which they proudly claimed as their “Toco joy.” Villagers also gathered on the roadway outside the house. With beer bottles in hand, they formed clusters and fondly recounted how they “know Keshorn from small.” Walcott’s excited parents, who were still basking in their son’s glory, were still undecided how they would privately honour him. “His father and I haven’t decided how we are going to celebrate with him as yet...After all this has quieted down, I will have to decide exactly what we will do,” Walcott’s mother Beverly said.

Beverly, who could barely contain her joy, described her son as humble but one who was always determined to succeed. “I am happy and I am excited. I feel great, I still can’t believe it,” Beverly said. Her son’s victory, however, was not expected.
“It was something I never expected but I was hoping all the way and I was praying that he would make the first eight...and he did it,” she added. Walcott’s father Endy King was equally astounded.

Recounting his son’s childhood days, King said Walcott was always determined and strove for excellence. He also thanked the teachers at Toco Composite School for providing his son with a holistic education. The American Chamber of Commerce of T&T also congratulated Walcott yesterday, saying the young man was an inspiration to youths.

Athletes arriving today:
 Keshorn Walcott—men’s javelin
 Njisane Philip—men’s cycling sprint
 Roger Daniel—men’s 100-metre air pistol
 Mikel Thomas—men’s 110-metre hurdles
 Machel Cedenio—men’s 4 X 400
 Ade Alleyne-Forte—men’s 4X 400 relay
 Michelle-Lee Ahye—women’s 100-metre; women’s 4X 100 relay
 Reyare Thomas—Women’s 4X 100 relay
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

truetrini

« Reply #152 on: August 13, 2012, 10:12:24 PM »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 13, 2012, 10:41:06 PM »
This whole gold medal thing caught TT by surprise. After 36 yrs we don't know how to react to gold medal winner. I have to Kamla and them side a bit. They have to think what the hell to give the boy and the rest of the squad. Don't matter what they give them, those anti-PP will say they using them, just like how they say Patos was using the Soca Warriors.  The man deserve every good thing coming to him. But I more worried about facilities and future program for Rio. Them 4 years does fly past real quick! We have to start now. When will that velodrome finish, 2015. Or the sswimming pool, 2016. Then they need to designate one of the stadium for track field training. I say Ato Bolden. Kind of centrally located. If not build one for track and field only with male and femal dorms, so some of the athletes don't have to be travelling all the time.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Walcott—I simply did my best
« Reply #154 on: August 14, 2012, 12:11:22 AM »
http://www.guardian.co.tt/sport/2012-08-13/walcott%E2%80%94i-simply-did-my-best

Walcott—I simply did my best
Published: Tuesday, August 14, 2012

“I went out there and did my best.” This was the emotional response from Keshorn Walcott, at the welcoming party in his honour at Piarco yesterday. The 19-year-old Toco lad had had just learned that his gold medal success at the London Olympic which ended on Sunday would be rewarded with a number of gifts, including a million dollars in cash and  a $2.5 million home in Federation Park. Walcott  was part of the ten-member contingent which earned a record four medals at the Games. It was the best ever haul in the country’s history. Walcott’s achievement headlined T&T’s performance, however, as he pulled off a stunning upset to become the first athlete from the English-speaking Caribbean to win gold in a javelin event and the first in 60 years from the Western Hemisphere. Prime Minister Kamla Persad Bissessar, addressing thousands of nationals who gathered at the Piarco International Airport to welcome home the athletes, said the gifts were for “bringing pride and recognition to the nation of Trinidad and Tobago”.

Walcott will also be given 20,000 square feet of land in his home village of Toco, south of the capital and a housing project called “The Keshorn Walcott Housing Development” will be also be established in the area providing housing and employment to residents of Toco. “A Caribbean Airlines aircraft will be commissioned to bear the proud name of Keshorn Walcott. The Lighthouse a, historical site, will now be known as the Keshorn Walcott lighthouse standing as a beacon to guide us all towards what it takes to get to our dreams,” she said, adding that the Olympian would also receive one million dollars “to be invested as he so desires.” “Keshorn, each of these rewards honour you, there is nothing greater than the glory you have brought to this nation and no greater expression ever than the pride and gratitude every citizen feels,” she told the crowd that chanted the name of the latest sporting hero from the twin island republic.

In his response, Walcott praised God, his coach, manager, Minister Anil Roberts for giving his his set of javelin equipment on the eve of ghis departure for the World Junior Championships and everyone for his success. “I would like to say thanks to everybody who supported me,” he added. The Prime Minister said that gifts for the other Olympians would be announced later. The men’s sprint relay team took bronze after Canada were disqualified while the distance relay team and Lalonde Gordon in the 400 metres, also came away with bronze. Walcott’s achievement represented T&T’s second ever Olympic gold medal behind the legendary Hasely Crawford who won the 100 metres at the 1976 Montreal Games. Sports Minister Anil Roberts said that T&T fielded its largest ever contingent to an Olympic Games, producing the best returns in the nation’s history.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Mixed reactions to surprise holiday
« Reply #155 on: August 14, 2012, 12:15:53 AM »
http://www.guardian.co.tt/news/2012-08-14/mixed-reactions-surprise-holiday

Mixed reactions to surprise holiday
Yvonne Baboolal

An unscheduled shutdown of operations is how some surprised members of the business community described the announcement on Sunday night, of a national holiday yesterday in honour of 2012 London Olympic gold medallist Keshorn Walcott. All sectors of the economy would have been affected by the not totally unexpected holiday, said business people who spoke to the T&T Guardian. Trade union leader Vincent Cabrera said thousands of daily and hourly-paid workers would have lost a day’s income because of the honour paid to the 19-year-old athlete from Toco. Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar, in a televised address to the nation on Sunday night, made the surprise announcement to celebrate Walcott winning gold in the men’s javelin event and the achievements of the entire Olympic team. The PM invited the nation to join in a welcoming party, and then a motorcade from Piarco Airport to Walcott’s Toco hometown.

Downtown Owners & Merchants Association (DOMA) president Gregory Aboud said yesterday members of the business community share the national pride felt by all citizens and were extremely proud of the performance of all T&T Olympians. “We, however, were quite startled,” he added, “by the announcement Sunday night that Monday was to be a holiday which can have the characteristics of an unscheduled interruption or shutdown of all operations.” Aboud said the objective of a national celebration would perhaps have been more successfully achieved by adding a national holiday to the Independence weekend and a street parade with the athletes. “This would have given citizens the opportunity to come together and show our national pride, our appreciation to the athletes and, perhaps, to reflect on the many challenges which still lie ahead,” he said. With an advance announcement of a holiday, various sectors of the economy, including the manufacturing and industrial sectors, the Port Authority, the administration of justice, various international courier agencies and the hospitality industry could have been better prepared, Aboud added. “We wish to join with the national community in adding congratulations to the athletes and hope we can resume operations tomorrow (today),” he said. Ibrahim Ali, of the San Juan Chamber of Commerce, had a similar perspective.

He said: “When you call a holiday eight o’ clock in the night for the next day, it becomes unproductive. The entire construction sector has shut down. “People who had appointments with lawyers, doctors were affected. The entire court system and the general economy has suffered from this unexpected announcement. “I know we have to be jubilant and patriotic but they could have found a different way to do it. It was done without consultation and in an ad-hoc manner.” Taran Singh, of the Tunapuna Chamber, felt the occasion was so “once-in-a-lifetime” that something had to give. The ‘something giving,’ he said, was the business sector and Singh felt, in this case, the pros outweighed the cons. He added: “There are a number of businesses that will still open for some part of the day. “History was literally created on the world stage by T&T, which is just a little dot on the map. We have to find a way to celebrate it. “There were thousands of people at the airport. We don’t get a chance to demonstrate this every day or even every year.” Labour union leader Cabrera said the young athletes deserved the public holiday but blamed the inequality of local labour standards if thousands lost a day’s pay because of it. “There are thousands of such workers, at supermarkets for instance, who would have lost a day’s work if they decided to take the public holiday. Labour standards have to be applied across the board so they, too, would be paid for working on a public holiday,” he added. The Grenada Government declared a half-holiday last Tuesday after Kirani James won gold in the Olympic men’s 400 metres. It was Grenada’s first ever Olympic medal and the half-holiday was given the day after James won on August 6.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
$1m, house, land in rewards for Olympic gold
« Reply #156 on: August 14, 2012, 12:29:04 AM »
http://www.guardian.co.tt/news/2012-08-14/keshorn-beacon-light%E2%80%94kamla

Keshorn beacon of light—Kamla
$1m, house, land in rewards for Olympic gold

Derek Achong

A $2.5 million Federation Park, St James, home; 20,000 square feet of land in Toco; $1 million cash and a Toco Housing Development Corporation (HDC) housing development named in his honour. Those were some of the rewards bestowed upon 19-year-old Olympic gold medallist Keshorn Walcott, yesterday upon his return to Trinidad after his participation in the 2012 London Olympics which ended on Sunday. The gifts were announced by Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar as she addressed thousands of citizens who packed the atrium at Piarco International Airport to welcome Walcott and several members of the national contingent home. Persad-Bissessar said: “Keshorn will shine as a beacon of light to the young people of the nation.” She was flanked by Walcott on her right and T&T’s first Olympic gold medalist, Hasely Crawford, on the left, and revealed Government’s rewards for the 19-year-old Toco resident, who entered the record books on Saturday when he became the youngest Olympic javelin champion in history.

On Saturday, in front of a capacity crowd at London’s Olympic Stadium, Walcott’s 84.58 metres javelin toss edged his closest rival, Ukrainian Oleksandr Pyatnytsya. Persad-Bissessar said that as a result of Walcott’s achievement the Toco lighthouse — a landmark in the community and in T&T — would be renamed the Keshorn Walcott Toco Lighthouse. A Caribbean Airline Boeing 737 aircraft would also be named in his honour, Persad- Bissessar said. The aircraft is expected to be repainted by the end of this week. This has not been the first time an aircraft has been named after a local athlete. A similar accolade was bestowed upon Crawford following his gold medal triumph at the 1976 Olympics in Montreal, Canada. Persad-Bissessar also said a HDC development will be constructed in the Toco area which would provide housing and employment for residents. Construction of the development, which will comprise of more than 100 units, is expected to begin by as early as next January after the completion of a tendering process and other preparatory works. Walcott, a student, also will be given a scholarship to the University of Trinidad and Tobago, where he will participate in the university’s elite sporting programme.

Yesterday’s festivities started well before 6 am for most of the attendees who arrived early to catch a glimpse of Walcott and several of other local Olympic athletes, who arrived on the same flight. They were heeding the call of Persad- Bissessar who urged citizens to attend yesterday’s ceremony to welcome home Walcott and the other Olympians, including cyclist Njisane Phillip. Persad-Bissessar also announced on Sunday night she had advised acting President Timothy Hamel-Smith to declare yesterday a public holiday. Scores of Walcott’s family members and neighbours arrived at the airport from Toco, via four chartered Public Transportation Service Corporation (PTSC) buses. The vocal fans had to wait patiently after they learned that the athletes’ flight, which was originally scheduled to land at 9.45 am, was delayed by an hour. The fans, who were dressed in the national colours, were thoroughly entertained by several tassa, steelpan groups and rhythm sections who repeatedly belted out various local compositions, much to their delight. Thousands of miniature T&T flags were distributed by the organisers of yesterday’s welcome programme.

Shortly after 11 am, Walcott greeted the crowd from the balcony of the atrium. Deafening screams of joy echoed throughout the airport, signalling the arrival of the 19-year-old, described by many as an inspiration to the nation. With a toothy grin, Walcott waved to his adoring fans as he displayed the glistening Olympic gold medal that hung from his neck. In his brief address to the crowd, Walcott thanked his parents and two brothers that stood proudly at his side. “Thanks for the support T&T... I did my best,” a soft-spoken Walcott said. Several Government Ministers who were present also extended congratulations to Walcott. Attorney General Anand Ramlogan, in an interview, described Walcott as the ideal role model for the youths of T&T.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
...Keshorn urged to seek wise counsel
« Reply #157 on: August 14, 2012, 12:51:51 AM »
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/___Keshorn_urged_to_seek_wise_counsel-166066696.html

...Keshorn urged to seek wise counsel
By Jensen LaVende jensen.lavende@trinidadexpress.com
Story Created: Aug 13, 2012 at 10:59 PM ECT

Olympic gold medallist Keshorn Walcott was yesterday advised to seek wise counsel on the multi-million-dollar rewards he has been granted by the Government.

Walcott, who won gold in the Olympic field event of javelin last Saturday, returned home yesterday to a mammoth welcoming at Piarco International Airport, along with cyclist Njisane Phillip.

Addressing the gathering at the airport, Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar rewarded Walcott with $1 million, a $2.5 million house in Federation Park, 20,000 square feet of land in Toco, an HDC housing development, a scholarship at the University of Trinidad and Tobago, Caribbean Airlines aircraft to be named after him and the Toco Lighthouse to be renamed the Keshorn Walcott Toco Lighthouse.

In telephone interviews with the Express, People's National Movement (PNM) Senator Fitzgerald Hinds, MP Donna Cox, Port of Spain Mayor Louis Lee Sing and former prime minister Basdeo Panday all advised the 19-year-old Trois Roche, Toco resident to seek wise counsel.

"He appears to be a very humble and respectful individual and my advice is that he remains focused, disciplined and humble and most of all remain close to his family. He should keep his feet to the ground and do not allow the stardom and fame to get on top of him" Hinds warned.

Commenting on the gifts showered on the gold medallist, Hinds said he thought they were "quite generous and thoughtful" and he would be awaiting what else would be given to the young athlete.

Hinds added that he was also waiting to hear of plans to construct a stadium in the Toco area "with modern amenities and swimming facilities" to produce more Walcotts.

Sharing Hinds' sentiment, Panday advised the Government to spend the State's resources on other sporting facilities.

"The Government has a lot of money. What I will hope is that more money will be spent on the infrastructure for the development for many more sporting activities. That is what I like to see. He would have had the best advice otherwise he would not have reached where he did, my advice is to the Government really. Provide more sporting facilities in the rural areas as well as the urban and to take sport seriously. I don't think they have done that," Panday said.

Panday congratulated Walcott "on his tremendous victory", saying Walcott put Trinidad and Tobago on the map. He added that he hoped this would enlighten other youths to give up crime and other forms of bad living and emulate Walcott's performance.

Cox said she was in agreement with the prizes but found that not mentioning what the other athletes would receive, if anything at all, was in "poor taste".

She added that Walcott's achievement was an indication that Governments should spend money on things like good coaches and special training facilities, particularly for the javelin as she sees an influx of young people wanting to throw their names into the lists of possible medallists come next Olympics.

She said Walcott would need proper mentors and advice on how to spend his money.

Mayor Lee Sing said: "He should get a counsellor to advise him on what to do with the assets he now has. Whether to rent out the house in Federation Park and live humbly in Toco. He should be told that a million dollars can disappear very quickly if not managed and allowed to grow."

Lee Sing said Walcott has been amply rewarded for his efforts and should recognise the assets given to him was done following a national achievement. He added that such an achievement meant the responsibility is his to be a model for all.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I don't want my life to change
« Reply #158 on: August 14, 2012, 12:54:56 AM »
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/I_don_t_want_my_life_to_change-166066706.html

I don't want my life to change
Gold medallist at Piarco celebrations:

By Kern De Freitas

A virtual Carnival greeted Trinidad and Tobago's 2012 Olympic javelin champion Keshorn Walcott on his arrival yesterday at Piarco International Airport.

Walcott emerged to a king's welcome, with chants of "Toco! Toco! Toco!" as he entered the airport's VIP Lounge, chants that melded with screams of "Keshorn! Keshorn! Keshorn!" before the massive crowd in the atrium below had even laid eyes on the 19-year-old Toco native.

The outpouring easily beat the welcome for the 2006 Soca Warriors after they qualified for T&T's first World Cup, with thousands of supporters either filling the ground floor of the airport, the outer courtyard or the corridors and stairways trying to get a glimpse of Walcott, and cheering every word uttered by Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar and Minister of Sport Anil Roberts as they paid tribute to Trinidad and Tobago's returning athletes.

Even when a downpour hit, it failed to dampen the spirits of hundreds clad in red, white and black, with hundreds of flags, large and small, fluttering vigorously from left to right.

The cheers first erupted from his family and Toco supporters when Walcott finally entered the VIP Lounge, after the athletes' flight from London was delayed by more than an hour.

Along with the technical staff, among them National Association of Athletics Administrations (NAAA) and T&T Olympic Committee (TTOC) officials, the athletes that touched down yesterday included teenage sprinter Michelle-Lee Ahye, 4x400m relay runner Machel Cedenio, cyclist Njisane Phillip and Walcott.

Accompanying PM Persad-Bissessar were Community Development Minister Winston "Gypsy" Peters, Minister of Foreign Affairs Winston Dookeran, Minister of National Security Jack Warner, Minister of Finance Larry Howai and several other Cabinet Ministers.

Undoubtedly Walcott was the man they all came to see, and the crowd met each announcement made by Persad-Bissessar—including Government's decision to reward Walcott with a house in Federation Park, and $1 million—with lusty applause.

During the celebration, announcements, and even Machel Montano's performance of his Olympic tribute "Going for Gold", Walcott did not seem entirely comfortable with all the attention. From the moment he arrived he was mobbed by family, well-wishers and Ministers waiting to greet him.

A tired Walcott even told the media that despite all the accolades and rewards, he hopes things stay the same for him.

"I don't really know right now (about all the rewards)," the Olympic champion said. "I don't want my life to change, so I'm just going to go on and keep doing what I'm doing."

Shortly after that Walcott was led away to the beginning of a long motorcade in his honour, which would take him all the way to Toco.

"I'm a bit tired," Walcott acknowledged, "but I know everyone is proud of me...I'm proud of myself, so I'll just go and celebrate with everyone."

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Toco Olympic gold medallist rewarded with $2.5m Federation Park property
« Reply #159 on: August 14, 2012, 01:04:09 AM »
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/A_HOUSE_FOR_MR_WALCOTT-166066756.html

A HOUSE FOR MR WALCOTT
Toco Olympic gold medallist rewarded with $2.5m Federation Park property

By Joel Julien joel.julien@trinidadexpress.com

IT was a day of rewards at Piarco International Airport yesterday as Olympic champion Keshorn Walcott returned home after a stunning gold medal performance at the London games.

Walcott, the teenage sensation from Toco, yesterday returned to this country after a record-breaking performance during the men's javelin throw in the London Olympics on Saturday.

Walcott, 19, won gold with a throw of 84.58 metres.

He was yesterday honoured for his feat and left the airport well rewarded.

Among the goodies presented by Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar to Walcott yesterday was $1 million in cash "to be invested as he so desires".

Walcott will also receive a home in the upscale community of Federation Park valued at $2.5 million.

"For bringing us such pride and recognition to the nation of Trinidad and Tobago Keshorn Walcott will receive 20,000 square feet, that is, four lots of land in Toco," Persad-Bissessar said.

She also said, "A housing project to be called the Keshorn Walcott Housing Development will be established. This development will bring housing and employment to Toco."

"The Lighthouse, a historical site, will now be known as the Keshorn Walcott Lighthouse standing as a beacon to guide us all towards what it takes to get to our dreams," Persad-Bissessar said.

"A Caribbean Airlines aircraft will be commissioned to bear the proud name of Keshorn Walcott," she said. Walcott was also given a model of a Caribbean Airlines aircraft.

He was also awarded a scholarship to the University of Trinidad and Tobago (UTT) "to further his studies in his chosen field".

Walcott however was not the only one rewarded yesterday.

His mother Beverley Walcott who had been asking for it since last week, was given the Olympic flowers she asked for.

In addition to receiving precious metal, medallists at the London Olympics are also given a bouquet of flowers.

During an interview with the Express last week before the men's javelin final Beverley said she had asked her son to bring home the flowers for her.

Her wish came true.

Beverley was seen with the flowers in hand yesterday.

Walcott's coach Ismael Lopez was also honoured yesterday.

Persad-Bissessar yesterday said that "Lopez will be placed in charge of an elite throws programme at UTT where all future talent including Keshorn can be developed in field events".

"Coach Lopez you have done an amazing job and I honour your result by promising you here that your appeal for facilities for field events will be realised as I have advised the Minister of Sport to bring a recommendation before the Cabinet for consideration," Persad-Bissessar said.

The last time Trinidad and Tobago achieved a gold medal was 36 years ago at the Olympic Games in Montreal,Canada in 1976 when sprinter Hasely Crawford won the men's 100 metres final.

It was Carnival in August at the Piarco International Airport yesterday as hundred of people dressed in red gathered to greet the country's newest hero.

There was soca music, body paint, moko jumbies, music trucks and waving flags for Walcott's homecoming.

Ann Phillip, 72, of Pleasantville in San Fernando told the Express she took a bus, a maxi and two taxis just to see Walcott.

But despite braving the rain and transportation woes, Phillip said her only concern during the road trip was that she would reach in time to see Walcott with his medal.

"We have waited very long for this and I am glad to be part of this history," Phillip said.

Angela Dandrade from Freeport said she was up before sunrise to be able to share in the historic moment. She said it was worth it.

"I am glad I came, I am really happy and he just looked so humble, I am glad for him and his success," Dandrade said.

But the people who really revelled in the moment were the people from Toco.

They wore jerseys hailing Walcott as the "pride and joy of Toco".

Marlon Beckles, 23, from Walcott's hometown Trois Roche Village said the entire community was proud of "Keshie's" achievements.

He however hoped that the State would fix the Toco road in honour of the Olympic champion.

Collis Marcano, Walcott's former technical drawing teacher at the Toco Secondary School, said he was "not surprised" with the gold medal accomplishment.

Marcano described Walcott as "exceptional".

Marcano echoed Beckles' call for the Toco road to be fixed.

"He (Walcott) cannot truly enjoy the things he has been given if the roads are not fixed," Marcano said.

Full list of rewards • $2.5m home in Federation Park • $1 million • 20,000 square feet of land in Toco • A scholarship at UTT • Caribbean Airlines aircraft in his name • Toco Lighthouse to be named the "Keshorn Walcott Toco Lighthouse" • HDC development in Walcott's name in Toco.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 01:06:06 AM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Olympic javelin champ Walcott eager for the training field
« Reply #160 on: August 14, 2012, 01:09:16 AM »
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/Olympic_javelin_champ_Walcott_eager_for_the_training_field-166066746.html

Olympic javelin champ Walcott eager for the training field
By Kern De Freitas

The nerves barely showed last Saturday as 19-year-old Keshorn Walcott lined up with seasoned European rivals in the Olympic javelin throw final and then walked away with the coveted title after a best effort and national record throw of 84.58 metres.

The youngster seemed more uneasy dealing with the limelight yesterday during a reception ceremony for returning Trinidad and Tobago Olympic athletes at Piarco International Airport—including sprinter Michelle-Lee Ahye, cyclist Njisane Phillip and quarter-miler Machel Cedenio—than he was going up against two-time defending Olympic champion Andreas Thorkildsen in the Olympic Stadium in London.

"I kind of expected [all the attention] because I was told of it since the day I won the medal," Walcott told the media after he had been honoured by Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar. "Everyone told me there was going to be a lot of pressure, so I was kind of preparing in my mind, but as you can see I wasn't totally prepared for all this."

Walcott does not want things to change too much despite being honoured with a house in Federation Park, $1 million and several other gifts.

"I don't think it has (sunk) in yet. I didn't really hear much of (the rewards) too well because of the noise, but hopefully I'll hear them after and think about them."

The Olympic and world junior javelin champion is already thinking about life as a senior athlete despite his recent success.

"As everyone knows, (the Olympic Games are) already gone...so I'm just looking to the future, there's more Olympics to come, more World Championships, and now that I'm a senior, I'm just going to go back out there and train.

"It's all about training. Throughout the year I've been training normal, so I'm just going to go back to that, sticking with my coach (Ismael Lopez). I know there are going to be a lot of expectations of me now, so I'm just going to have to live with it."

Walcott recalled his experience with his fellow competitors after he had confirmed his victory in the Olympic Stadium.

"Most of them just congratulated me. The stadium itself was shocked because of where I'm from...everyone knows that Europeans dominate the javelin.

"(But) to achieve this is great. I didn't really set my mind on gold at the Olympics. I achieved my goal the month before at the World Junior (Championships). So going into the Olympics, going out there winning gold, my mind was just all over the place. I know I surprised a lot of persons."

And the biggest endorsement for the teenager came from Minister of Sport Anil Roberts, who had accompanied the T&T team to London.

"What is the greatest thing (about him), he is a man of class," Roberts stressed. "I want my son to be just like him. I've been around athletes all my life, and he is the most humble, classy individual (I've met). It couldn't have happened to a nicer man."

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 14, 2012, 01:13:27 AM »
They better provide him bodyguards too, eh.
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/sports/Keshorn_makes__Hasely_happy-166066926.html

Keshorn makes Hasely happy
T&T's first gold medallist says it's long overdue

By Kern De Freitas

For many Trinidad and Tobago and Keshorn Walcott fans, it was a joy to see the teenager in the Olympic javelin throw final, getting closer with each effort to that elusive gold.

For Hasely Crawford, who just four days ago was T&T's only gold medallist, it meant he no longer has to stand alone in the stratosphere of national sport.

After returning with members of Trinidad and Tobago's 2012 Olympic team following their record-breaking exploits in London—which saw this country line up in 12 finals for the first time since T&T first competed at the Games 64 years ago, also in London—Crawford was a happy man.

Having clinched T&T's first Olympic gold medal 36 years ago in Lane One of the 100 metres final in Montreal, Canada, Crawford was relieved to finally have elite company.

"It was long overdue. Long overdue," a beaming Crawford told the Express yesterday during celebrations to honour Walcott and the rest of the Olympic team at Piarco International Airport.

"And I'm very happy that Keshorn, a humble, hard-working young man [has achieved such success]. I can remember on Christmas Day and New Year's Day, he was out there with [coach Ismael] Lopez training. He deserves everything he has achieved right now."

Crawford had been waiting to congratulate the 19-year-old Olympic javelin champion in person as he had not seen the Toco-born thrower since his amazing feat. He smiled as he recalled watching the record-breaking moments.

"[Ministry of Sport permanent secretary Ashwin] Creed was sitting next to me and the [National Association of Athletics Administration] president Mr [Ephraim] Serrette and I told them, I said 'listen, [a throw further than 84 metres] is a medal'. Because every time he threw that thing, he improved by two metres.

"So I said '84 is a medal'. He said 'gold or silver, boy?' I said 'a medal'. And after the first round, I told Creed 'call the Minister and tell the Minister prepare for a medal.' And for the last round it was a countdown. When they reached five (throws) I said 'it's a medal'. We went down to gold, and we went waving. It was electric. Very, very electric."

Even more moving for Crawford was hearing for the first time the full Trinidad and Tobago national anthem played on an Olympic stage.

"When I won the gold medal, they played (only a piece of the anthem). So I deliberately stood there because [for] all the other winners, they played the full anthem. I said 'let me hear it this time'. And that ringing sound in my ears, boy, it was fantastic."

Crawford revealed that T&T's progress in field events has come about through NAAA efforts to develop those disciplines.

Cuban Lopez, Walcott's current coach, was instrumental in producing a programme geared towards field events and Crawford is predicting more such athletes will come to the fore in the future.

He sees hope for T&T in future Olympics with a young 2012 team that achieved unprecedented success with four medals—one gold and three bronze—and athletes reaching 12 finals in all.

Crawford is also happy with Government's promise to develop an elite throws programme for Walcott and others to train in Trinidad and Tobago.

"We need to really sit down and come with a serious programme," he said, "so that the next Olympics we'll have a lot more medals here. You won't have enough houses to give those athletes."

For now, though, Crawford is glad to bask in his new company, which represents a changing of the guard, of sorts.

"It's hard. [It was] hard to sit there [waiting to] see a young man going to join me, and he did. I can't put it into better words."

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Gold to gold
« Reply #163 on: August 14, 2012, 02:52:21 AM »
http://www.newsday.co.tt/news/0,164745.html

Gold to gold
Tuesday, August 14 2012

An overjoyed Hasely Crawford, TT’s first Olympic medallist, yesterday paid tribute, Keshorn Walcott, to the young man who after 36 years has joined his elite company.

“It’s long-awaited and couldn’t happen to a better person. Why I am saying this is because Keshorn is very hardworking. People think this comes by guess but Keshorn is a hardworking young man. I can remember Christmas Day and New Year’s Day and the boy training!” he exclaimed.

Crawford noted that it was a spine-tingling moment in London, hearing the national anthem at an Olympics for the first time since 1976 when he sprinted to gold in the men’s 100 metres final.

“When I won the gold they just played a part of it so when he won I say ‘let me stand up and listen to this’ and boy was it a joy listening this thing,” he said enthusiastically.

The Trinity Cross recipient, who was at the Olympic Stadium, London while Walcott was throwing in the men’s javelin final, revealed he got extremely excited upon seeing the young man in action and had a feeling he would not be TT’s sole gold medallist for much longer.

“Before (the Olympics) I was telling the guys (a throw of) 84 metres is a medal and of course he threw 83-something in the first round and no one came close to him. In the second round (when he threw 84.58 metres) I told (Ministry of Sport’s Permanent Secretary) Ashwin Creed to tell the Minister of Sport (Anil Roberts) that I think we are preparing for a gold medal,” he claimed.

Meanwhile, Walcott’s Cuban coach, Ismael Lopez Mastrapa, was also ecstatic upon their return from the Olympics and could not stop smiling as people congratulated him as well. Lopez, who took charge of Walcott for just over a year, believes his student’s potential is limitless as he has stunningly reached the pinnacle of sporting excellence at his first appearance at the Olympics.

“It’s exciting and I feel very proud of Keshorn. I don’t have an idea of the future because he is very young. Athletes in javelin sometimes reach their best performance between the ages of 25 to 28,” he pointed out.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 14, 2012, 02:57:10 AM »
http://www.newsday.co.tt/news/0,164741.html

OLYMPIC MILLONAIRE
By STEPHON NICHOLAS Tuesday, August 14 2012

As all sons do, Keshorn Walcott made promises to his mother Beverly. His were to bring her back a gold medal from the 2012 Olympic Games and the bouquet of roses, he would receive when presented with his top prize.

Walcott, a humble 19-year-old from the small village of Trois Roche in Toco, yesterday dutifully delivered these gifts to his mother, even as the country gave him gifts of his own: a rousing, jubilant celebration of his Olympic javelin gold and millions of dollars worth in cash, land and property for his stellar achievement.

It was a heartwarming moment at the VIP room of the Piarco International Airport when Walcott surprised his mother with the roses, planting a loving kiss on her cheeks as she blushed in delight.

“I got my roses,” Beverly gushed as he presented the flowers to her.

It was the first time mother and son were seeing each other since Walcott left for the World Junior Championships in Spain on July 6. There he won gold, beginning a journey that would see him stun the athletics world when, last Saturday, at the Olympic Stadium in London, England, he became the first person from the Western Hemisphere in 60 years to win an Olympic field event.

The sport of javelin has been dominated by Europeans for decades and Walcott’s victory left some of the world’s best by the wayside, among them the 2011 World Champion Matthias de Zordo of Germany and the favourite going into the Olympics.

As he touched down at Piarco yesterday, thousands packed the airport’s atrium, arriving by cars, buses and maxi taxis, to give this Toco son a hero’s welcome.

At a massive reception, Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar lauded the teenager who has brought glory not only to himself but a nation yearning for something positive.

A beaming Persad-Bissessar, revealed a plethora of gifts which her Government decided to bestow upon Walcott in honour of his historic performance.

Walcott, TT’s first ever Olympic javelin finalist, is now a millionaire and will receive $1 million cash as well as a house in Federation Park worth $2.5 million.

The teenager will also get 20,000 square feet of land in the Toco area, a scholarship to study anything he desires at the University of Trinidad and Tobago (UTT), one of the new Caribbean Airlines’ aircraft will be named after him, and the Toco lighthouse will now be known as the Keshorn Walcott lighthouse.

As a gift to Toco for producing this country’s second Olympic gold medallist, the Ministry of Housing and Housing Development Company (HDC) will construct a housing development scheme there which will provide jobs for people in largely fishing community in east Trinidad. A proposal has also been sent to Cabinet for the establishment of a training facility exclusively for field athletes.

As an estimated 8,000 screaming fans in Piarco, clad patriotically in red, vigorously waved miniature national flags and chanted his name, the quiet-spoken athlete stayed true to his roots despite his world seemingly changing during the Prime Minister’s speech.Asked what these gifts would mean to his life, Walcott paused for a few seconds before stating he hopes everything remains the same.

“I don’t really know...I doubt (it would change). I wouldn’t want my life to change but I will just keep doing what I am doing,” he quietly told Newsday.

But yesterday’s massive reception seemed to overwhelm Walcott who struggled to find words to express how he felt while speaking to the thousands before him who chanted “Keshy, Keshy”.

Olympic cyclist Njisane Phillip, who returned on the flight with Walcott, gave the javelin athlete moral support, keeping close to him as did Walcott’s mother.

The six-foot tall World Junior champ thanked the Prime Minister and Minister of Sport Anil Roberts for their support and also paid tribute to those close to him.

“Thanks to my Moms, my Dad (Andy King), my two brothers (Elton and Trenton), my entire family, and most of all I would like to thank God for health and strength. And lastly I’d like to thank you for all the support. I almost forgot my coach, also my manager Sean Roach,” he told his fans, before asking his manager if he wanted to say something.

A pumped-up Roach told the crowd, Walcott’s gold was not his alone but theirs as well.

Walcott is now the man his peers will be hoping to beat in the future but the Toco athlete is unfazed by this new burden of expectation upon his broad shoulders.

“Throughout the year I’ve been training normal so I’m just going back to that and sticking with my coach (Ismael Lopez Mastrapa). I know there is going to be a lot of expectation for me now but I’m just going to have to live with it,” he said.

With a gold medal adorning his neck, Walcott admitted, though, that he was just content reaching the Olympic final and was not expecting to be among the medal winners.

“Throughout that competition I was relaxed, I wasn’t really paying much attention to the competition because I told myself that making the final was good enough for me at age 19 and I went out there just to do my best,” he explained.

And his best was the perfect gift to the country to celebrate its 50th anniversary of Independence on August 31.

With yesterday a holiday to commemorate Walcott’s phenomenal achievement, his adoring fans swarmed the airport to give the javelin champion.

It was a Carnival-like atmosphere reminiscent of the return of the Soca Warriors to Trinidad following their qualification to the Germany World Cup in 2005.

It was virtually a sea of red from around 9 am with fans eagerly awaiting the arrival of Walcott and the rest of the TT Olympic contingent at 9.45 am.

Even a one-hour flight delay and intermittent showers failed to dampen the spirit of the mammoth crowd who were entertained by steelpan, tassa, a rhythm section, music trucks and moko jumbies, and Soca and Road March champ Machel Montano.

The crowds then joined in a motorcade that snaked from Piarco and crawled along the Eastern Main Road, passing through Arouca, Arima, only reaching Sangre Grande at about 6.30 pm.

The final stop, Toco Composite School, where his hometown residents waited patiently for hours for the return of their king.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Top national award for Walcott
« Reply #165 on: August 14, 2012, 02:58:59 AM »
http://www.newsday.co.tt/news/0,164742.html

Top national award for Walcott
By Andre Bagoo Tuesday, August 14 2012

IN ADDITION to the Government rewards announced yesterday, Olympic gold medallist Keshorn Walcott is tipped to make history yet again by being awarded this country’s highest honour, the Order of the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago, by President George Maxwell Richards at the National Awards ceremony to be held at Queen’s Hall on Independence Day.

In addition to being the youngest-ever winner of the Olympic gold medal in javelin, Walcott is poised to become the youngest ever recipient of the country’s highest award, at the age of 19.

While Walcott was being honoured by an adoring pubic yesterday in a motorcade from Piarco to Toco, the National Awards Committee, chaired by Chief Justice Ivor Archie, quietly met at the Chief Justice’s chambers at the Hall of Justice, Knox Street, Port-of-Spain, to conclude the discrete process by which National Award recipients are chosen.

The expected award of the Order of the Republic to Walcott follows a long tradition of this country honouring its achievers in the field of sport. He will become the fifth sports person in this country’s post-Independence history to attain the highest honour.

In 1994, the Trinity Cross (the precursor to the Order) was awarded to cricketer Brian Lara after he broke test-cricket records. It was the first time in 15 years that a sportsman had been given the highest award. In 1979, netball player Eugenia Theodosia Pierre was also bestowed the Trinity Cross.

Three years before her, Hasely Crawford was awarded the Trinity Cross after he brought home this country’s only other Olympic gold medal in the 100-metre sprint at the Montreal Olympics.

The national relay team, which won silver at the Beijing Olympics 2012, were all awarded Chaconia Gold, the second highest award. The team comprised Darrel Browne, Emmanuel Callender, Keston Bledman, Marc Burns and Richard Thompson.

Swimmer George Bovell also got the Chaconia Gold for his bronze medal performance in the 200-metre individual medley at the 2004 Athens Olympics.

Sprinter Ato Boldon got the same award after winning bronze at the 1996 Atlanta Olympics 100m sprint and silver in the 200-metre.

It is expected that the members of this years’ Olympic team, which saw TT sportsmen and women turn in their best ever performance at any Olympics, also are in line for honours come August 31, as the country celebrates its 50th Independence Anniversary.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 14, 2012, 03:21:11 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/YE9PpL-aCcw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/YE9PpL-aCcw</a>

FULL 32 MIN

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/tNodIPDkCG0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/tNodIPDkCG0</a>
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #167 on: August 14, 2012, 04:47:09 AM »
Keshorn makes Hasely happy
T&T's first gold medallist says it's long overdue
By Kern De Freitas (Express).

For many Trinidad and Tobago and Keshorn Walcott fans, it was a joy to see the teenager in the Olympic javelin throw final, getting closer with each effort to that elusive gold.

For Hasely Crawford, who just four days ago was T&T's only gold medallist, it meant he no longer has to stand alone in the stratosphere of national sport.

After returning with members of Trinidad and Tobago's 2012 Olympic team following their record-breaking exploits in London—which saw this country line up in 12 finals for the first time since T&T first competed at the Games 64 years ago, also in London—Crawford was a happy man.

Having clinched T&T's first Olympic gold medal 36 years ago in Lane One of the 100 metres final in Montreal, Canada, Crawford was relieved to finally have elite company.

"It was long overdue. Long overdue," a beaming Crawford told the Express yesterday during celebrations to honour Walcott and the rest of the Olympic team at Piarco International Airport.

"And I'm very happy that Keshorn, a humble, hard-working young man [has achieved such success]. I can remember on Christmas Day and New Year's Day, he was out there with [coach Ismael] Lopez training. He deserves everything he has achieved right now."

Crawford had been waiting to congratulate the 19-year-old Olympic javelin champion in person as he had not seen the Toco-born thrower since his amazing feat. He smiled as he recalled watching the record-breaking moments.

"[Ministry of Sport permanent secretary Ashwin] Creed was sitting next to me and the [National Association of Athletics Administration] president Mr [Ephraim] Serrette and I told them, I said 'listen, [a throw further than 84 metres] is a medal'. Because every time he threw that thing, he improved by two metres.

"So I said '84 is a medal'. He said 'gold or silver, boy?' I said 'a medal'. And after the first round, I told Creed 'call the Minister and tell the Minister prepare for a medal.' And for the last round it was a countdown. When they reached five (throws) I said 'it's a medal'. We went down to gold, and we went waving. It was electric. Very, very electric."

Even more moving for Crawford was hearing for the first time the full Trinidad and Tobago national anthem played on an Olympic stage.

"When I won the gold medal, they played (only a piece of the anthem). So I deliberately stood there because [for] all the other winners, they played the full anthem. I said 'let me hear it this time'. And that ringing sound in my ears, boy, it was fantastic."

Crawford revealed that T&T's progress in field events has come about through NAAA efforts to develop those disciplines.

Cuban Lopez, Walcott's current coach, was instrumental in producing a programme geared towards field events and Crawford is predicting more such athletes will come to the fore in the future.

He sees hope for T&T in future Olympics with a young 2012 team that achieved unprecedented success with four medals—one gold and three bronze—and athletes reaching 12 finals in all.

Crawford is also happy with Government's promise to develop an elite throws programme for Walcott and others to train in Trinidad and Tobago.

"We need to really sit down and come with a serious programme," he said, "so that the next Olympics we'll have a lot more medals here. You won't have enough houses to give those athletes."

For now, though, Crawford is glad to bask in his new company, which represents a changing of the guard, of sorts.

"It's hard. [It was] hard to sit there [waiting to] see a young man going to join me, and he did. I can't put it into better words."

TWO'S COMPANY: Trinidad and Tobago's Keshorn Walcott, left, and Hasely Crawford display their Olympic gold medals in the VIP Lounge at Piarco Intenational Airport yesterday. Crawford won his medal in the 100 metres final at the 1976 Montreal Olympics and Walcott became T&T's second gold medallist on Saturday when he won the men's javelin at the 2012 London Olympics. —Photo: ROBERT DUMAS

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 14, 2012, 06:01:04 AM »
It's neither Pnm or Unc achievement. None of them pick up a javelin to throw anything. None of them woke up early to go training. None of them travelled from Toco to Port of Spain for training on a regular basis. GTFOH.

Yes but d big mouth fella have done absolutely nutten since he has been there. They have a right d blow their own trumpet because is funding from d much criticise SPORTCO that has made this possible. Look at the field results from CARIFTA and u would c the gr8 results. I hope it motivates the other Toco field athletes to do well.

The big mouth boy will only ever be just that. You see they offer him a spot at UTT? The same Utt that in a mess right now with programmes getting mash up left, right and centre. These people have no shame. Take their money and run far far away from them. Poor footballers can't get their money up to now.

Exactly d same UTT dey technically closin down. Not 2 mention when he was harpin bout d million dollars d warriors get he said we need a policy as how 2 reward sportsmen etc. Where d policy? Is still a vaps ting.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 14, 2012, 06:28:21 AM »
So when will they upgrade the stadiums I still waiting on the velodrome to get fix. Always wanted to try long jump but the only pit in Trinidad in Port of Spain stueps.
Youtube Channel

Offline STMB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 14, 2012, 09:19:02 AM »
Toco welcomes its Golden Boy, wants more honours
Created on Tuesday, 14 August 2012 12:57 | Written by Clayton Clarke

TOCO, Trinidad - Residents of Toco are calling for a training facility in honour of Olympic Javelin champion, Keshorn Walcott, to be built in their community. Following the announcement of a housing programme and the renaming of the village's lighthouse in recognition of the 19 year old's historic accomplishment, several persons living in the area felt such a venue was needed. The principal, Verona Davidson-Wallace of  Walcott's high school, Toco Secondary (now to be called the Keshorn Walcott Secondary), made the plea to Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar at a welcome reception at the school's compound in the early hours of Tuesday morning.   

Davidson-Wallace said the request was made on the success of the school in track and field and numerous others sports. She lamented that the school has a relatively high transportation bill to meet the demands of traveling to other venues to train and compete. The school's head quipped that Walcott's Olympic achievements have justified the investments, as the school also pays for its coaches. She called on the Ministry of Sports to meet the cost of paying the coaches.

Prime Minister Persad-Bissessar further announced the changing of the name of the Toco Secondary School to the Keshorn Walcott Secondary and added that Minister of Education Dr. Tim Gopeesingh will be addressing the challenges of Walcott's high school.

The visit to his former school was the last stop of a more than ten hour motorcade from Piarco International Airport to his home village,  where thousands of residents waited patiently for "King Walcott"  to return home, and got a fireworks display to climax his long day.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 14, 2012, 09:31:52 AM »

Youtube Channel

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 14, 2012, 09:36:32 AM »
Watching that crowd, i can only imagine how sour it must have been being late for an international flight and trying to get from the check-in counter to the gate. lol

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 14, 2012, 09:38:35 AM »

Trinidad and Tobago's Gold Medal Olympian Keshorn Walcott returned home from London today, to be feted at the Piarco International Airport before a motorcade accompanied him to his Toco home. The teenager left the airport a multi-millionaire, after the Prime Minister announced a bag of goodies to reward the nation's new athletic hero. Among the gifts -

* $1 million cash

Ok, so I all for rewarding achievement, but this seems like major overkill

20,000 square feet of land?!!...ah school named after him?
whey go happen if he win in brazil 2016, he go get half de country or wha?

an wham to  the other 8 fellahs that achieve an olympic medal? dem gettin ah bag of salt?
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline STMB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 14, 2012, 10:04:43 AM »

* $1 million cash

Ok, so I all for rewarding achievement, but this seems like major overkill

20,000 square feet of land?!!...ah school named after him?
whey go happen if he win in brazil 2016, he go get half de country or wha?

an wham to  the other 8 fellahs that achieve an olympic medal? dem gettin ah bag of salt?

20k sq ft of (4 lots of EMPTY) land in Toco which for most part is hilly is nothing. They could have built his family a new home on the land. Naming his school after him, a matter of a sign. No big deal.

The fact is it has been 36 years since Crawfie, yet a chutney monarch singing about rum and woman can win $2M whereas a young man who's efforts were recognized worldwide, thereby bring focus to T&T is only offered $1M. Something biased there.

I am glad the school principal in Toco asked the PM to consider providing facilities in Toco. They want to take the Toco boy out of Toco and bring him to town to spoil. It is Toco that produced him, let Toco benefit, not just in the area of sport but infrastructure - roads, tourism, etc.

Even though they shouldn't, these politicians do not even know how to capitalize well on an opportunity - so myopic.

I suspect since Gordon, Solomon, Thompson, Bledman, etc did not come back to complete the entire relay contingents they are probably awaiting an opportunity to have them all back to celebrate. I would suspect it would be Independence Day or Republic Day that comes after the close of the European Circuit.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 10:08:27 AM by STMB »

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: August 14, 2012, 10:42:59 AM »
I doh have an issue with the cash and house.

Hilly or not, land is land...I'm not a fan of any government giving away a scarce resource like it's their personal assets
I happy for what de youth man get....it just seems like  a knee jerk drunken orgy of 'gifts'... the follow up to which somebody will wake up hungover the nex day and ask "oh gord boy,wuh we do last night in trute?"
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 14, 2012, 10:55:30 AM »
I doh have an issue with the cash and house.

Hilly or not, land is land...I'm not a fan of any government giving away a scarce resource like it's their personal assets
I happy for what de youth man get....it just seems like  a knee jerk drunken orgy of 'gifts'... the follow up to which somebody will wake up hungover the nex day and ask "oh gord boy,wuh we do last night in trute?"

Is Kamla, wha yuh expect?
www.westindiantube.com

Check it out - it real bad!

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 14, 2012, 11:04:16 AM »
I would like a proper stadium in toco. It doesn't have to be large just have a track and the field facilities. Doh need a big stand or anything. It have rel talented youths up there going to waste
Youtube Channel

Offline STMB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 14, 2012, 11:07:54 AM »
I would like a proper stadium in toco. It doesn't have to be large just have a track and the field facilities. Doh need a big stand or anything. It have rel talented youths up there going to waste

Well they already give the man a house in POS so that they can build the facility in POS.
They are not thinking that where they have found one talent there are many more, as I said myopic.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 14, 2012, 11:08:15 AM »
I real happy for this yute... I eh go lie.

Now the matter of the gifts is another thing... like Dutty say it have a certain "orgy" of gifts vibe to it that not quite sitting right.  Honestly, this would have been better done with some foresight and planning.  These things, if any should have been put out there beforehand as an incentive... "If you win a gold medal, you will receive...".  Then what of the silver and bronze medalists?  True, not quite an achievement as gold... but nutten fuh dem?

Regarding the actual gifts... I doh have much issue with it, I don't know what land they giving him and what use it could be put to, fuh all we know it might end up being more a headache than anything, but nutten else they might be able to build a home, farm it or share with relatives.  I real like the house in Federation Park, nice location, nice value on that property... that is something he could legitimately hold on to and pass.

I just want to see the rest ah athletes get something... even token acknowledgement for those who didn't bring home any medals.  As I said in a discussion on facebook, I would have preferred that they host a parade for all the returning athletes, ending at the HC.  But we's ah vaille qui vaille society so them kinda thing remains the stuff of dreams.

1]; } ?>