May 21, 2024, 06:40:36 AM

Author Topic: Keane: Loyalty a two-way street in football  (Read 3335 times)

Offline d-hawkeye

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
Keane: Loyalty a two-way street in football
« on: July 17, 2008, 01:34:37 PM »
ESPNsoccernet: Thursday, July 17, 2008

Keane: Loyalty a two-way street in football

Roy Keane has warned his Premier League counterparts that loyalty works both ways amid the rumbling row over Real Madrid's pursuit of Cristiano Ronaldo.

The Manchester United midfielder's future has been the subject of fevered speculation all summer, with the Old Trafford club's furious response to Real's interest sparking FIFA president Sepp Blatter's slavery comments last week.

However, while Sunderland boss Keane has some sympathy with clubs whose players are being targeted by predators, he insists they are themselves sometimes guilty of treating players like 'pieces of meat'.

He said: 'I don't really know what is going on at United with Ronaldo and I wouldn't like to comment on it, but there have been other cases and other situations.

'I do believe, generally speaking, it works both ways. Players have been accused of being under contract and asking to leave - there have been cases over the last few years where players have refused to play.

'There was a player who went on strike a few years ago at Forest - did Mr (Pierre) van Hooijdonk go on strike?

'Maybe that's a bit to the extreme, don't get me wrong, but you talk about contracts - what does a contract mean?

'If a player wants to leave, all he has to do is come in every day, not train with the right attitude and I guarantee you that would p*** any manager off, so there are ways of doing it.

'But on the other hand, if the club want to get rid of you and you have got a two-year contract, they will get rid of you.

'I know some top players who have been forced to train with the reserves and do this and do that, so it works both ways.

'Clubs have got to be very careful when they start questioning players' loyalty because when clubs want to get rid of you, they get rid of you.

'I am 50-50. I am the manager of a football club now, but it only seems like yesterday I was playing.

'But loyalty - that word is used in football far too often. Some people talk about it, but they actually don't practice it.

'I don't think there's much loyalty left in football, unfortunately, from my own experiences.'

Keane diplomatically declined the opportunity to elaborate, although he has spoken in the past about his disappointment at the way his departure from Old Trafford was handled initially.

But he admitted he would not stand in the way of a player who wanted to leave his club, provided the deal was right for his employers.

He said: 'If a player wants to move and go on to better things - I am talking about any player - then I would say, 'Go for it' because when a club are finished with you, they get rid of you.

'Forget about 'this club's being loyal to players' and all this carry on, it works both ways.

'If a player came to see me and said, 'look, I have got a better opportunity' and we got a good deal, I would say 'good luck'.

'Clubs buy and sell players. Clubs sell players sometimes like a piece of meat, so if a player want so to go and better himself, good luck to him.

'When clubs are finished with you, it can happen very, very quickly.

'This word 'loyalty' is thrown about far too easily and some people haven't got a clue what the word means.'

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
Re: Keane: Loyalty a two-way street in football
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 01:38:35 PM »
Wenger need to have a read of this transcript..

Offline theworm2345

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 01:48:47 PM »
Roy Keane doesn't know shit about loyalty, he has no right to speak on this (though Ronaldo is a whiny little baby)

Offline Israel

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 02:02:01 PM »
I think Roy Keane is spot on with his view of the situation......All d Man U fans saying dat Ronaldo not being loyal bcuz he want to leave, but when fergie wanted to get rid of Yorke to buy Di Canio wasnt Fergie being disloyal by wanting Yorke to leave before his contract was up? When a club wants to get rid of you they get rid of you as in Dinho's and Eto's case.......so this is definitely a two way street when we talking about loyalty..........Keane tells it as it is and respect him 4 dat
If a rasta in a coma, is he still conscious?

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 02:20:20 PM »
Wenger need to have a read of this transcript..

As well as some of our fellow posters on the forum!!  :-X

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
  • Lifes a bitch, then you marry one
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 04:43:12 PM »
RK is still a bit bitter around how Manu treated him when he left so its a bit of a touchy subject with him.  However he is fairly consistant as he mentioned a couple of times when players where leaving that he likes to say them go on good terms.  Stern was guaranteed same money when left for Southampton. 

But as with all football managers when its your player and you don't want rid then I have no doubt his attitude will change.  But as he said above if the deals right for the club, its usually done.

Offline Giggsy's Chestwig

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 09:10:48 AM »
Roy Keane doesn't know shit about loyalty, he has no right to speak on this (though Ronaldo is a whiny little baby)

What the hell are you blabbering about?

Offline Giggsy's Chestwig

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 09:14:55 AM »
RK is still a bit bitter around how Manu treated him when he left so its a bit of a touchy subject with him.  However he is fairly consistant as he mentioned a couple of times when players where leaving that he likes to say them go on good terms.  Stern was guaranteed same money when left for Southampton. 

But as with all football managers when its your player and you don't want rid then I have no doubt his attitude will change.  But as he said above if the deals right for the club, its usually done.

Yes, I agree that he was given the shaft. He was obviously past his sell by date but with the amount of years and service that he put in, United could have handled it better.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008, 09:43:35 AM »
No slave is bigger than the slavemaster.

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2008, 10:17:53 AM »
is just so in every job. they go lay you off or fire u when it suit dem. wht the fork we should be loyal to any employer?

is only you who go do for you.

Offline theworm2345

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2008, 10:23:57 AM »

What the hell are you blabbering about?

Walking out on his country maybe?  Flushing the players that got him to the EPL down the shitter when they get there even when he A) said he would give them chances and B) they were in the relegation zone at the time.  Leaving Manure with no notice.  Just a few small things  ::)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 10:25:52 AM by theworm2345 »

giggsy11

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2008, 10:49:16 AM »
Is amazing now he is a manager he can spout all this shite! Wait till he actually is blessed with a big time player who other teams covet and who decide Sunderland aint big enough and that Keane is a c^nt, who can't manage and is still tryin to live through his players cause he can no longer play!  Lemme see him spout all this shite then, cause it rell easy to do so when all he managing is a bunch of rejects and MLS type players! He also still bitter from how things ended with United but not man enough to say so, instead always using the media and his positon to drop words! I hope he never gets to mange United!

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2008, 11:00:16 AM »
Is amazing now he is a manager he can spout all this shite! Wait till he actually is blessed with a big time player who other teams covet and who decide Sunderland aint big enough and that Keane is a c^nt, who can't manage and is still tryin to live through his players cause he can no longer play!  Lemme see him spout all this shite then, cause it rell easy to do so when all he managing is a bunch of rejects and MLS type players! He also still bitter from how things ended with United but not man enough to say so, instead always using the media and his positon to drop words! I hope he never gets to mange United!

I think you will find he was, its in his book is it not. 

RK may be a lot of things but not being man enough isn't one of them.

If you don't like RK fine but leave my rejects alone fitwuck

giggsy11

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2008, 11:38:55 AM »

I think you will find he was, its in his book is it not. 

RK may be a lot of things but not being man enough isn't one of them.

If you don't like RK fine but leave my rejects alone fitwuck

Dread had no idea you so attached to your rejects; you breed dem or wat or are you one of them?

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2008, 11:48:21 AM »
Neither.

They might be shite, but there my shite.

There are only 2 things in life you can't change and thats your family and your club.

BTW this shite is like Brazil, compared with some I have watched in the past, but I am not going to let some nomark psuedo Manu shitehawk call them, when thats my job.

giggsy11

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2008, 12:13:39 PM »
Neither.

They might be shite, but there my shite.

There are only 2 things in life you can't change and thats your family and your club.

BTW this shite is like Brazil, compared with some I have watched in the past, but I am not going to let some nomark psuedo Manu shitehawk call them, when thats my job.

So now I know not to call your players shite! Acknowledged! Roy is that you?

Offline trinikev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2008, 01:03:59 PM »

Giggsy yuh talk shit here. Keane is not my fav person in the world, but he damn right that clubs does do the same thing to players when they doh want them anymore. That is fact. Your beloved Man U has done it already as well, and will probably continue to do it in the future. You trying to say just because is Ronaldo we dealing with here, Keane argument doh make sense? Please!

For the record, I not saying Man U supposed to sell him eh, I just saying I doh think it fair to blame Ronaldo for being interested in making a move that he thinks may be better for HIM. Cuz honestly, if he falls out of favour, Fergie might send him packing anyways, regardless of what he contract say, and u know it. They do it with Yorke, Van Nistelrooy, and Keane himself already, just to name a few. Which is all Keane is saying - clubs don't usually have the same 'loyalty' to a player, so why must a player always have that same 'loyalty' to a club? At the end of the day it's just a business.

I support all Soca Warriors....Red, White and Blacklist

giggsy11

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2008, 01:14:44 PM »

Giggsy yuh talk shit here. Keane is not my fav person in the world, but he damn right that clubs does do the same thing to players when they doh want them anymore. That is fact. Your beloved Man U has done it already as well, and will probably continue to do it in the future. You trying to say just because is Ronaldo we dealing with here, Keane argument doh make sense? Please!

For the record, I not saying Man U supposed to sell him eh, I just saying I doh think it fair to blame Ronaldo for being interested in making a move that he thinks may be better for HIM. Cuz honestly, if he falls out of favour, Fergie might send him packing anyways, regardless of what he contract say, and u know it. They do it with Yorke, Van Nistelrooy, and Keane himself already, just to name a few. Which is all Keane is saying - clubs don't usually have the same 'loyalty' to a player, so why must a player always have that same 'loyalty' to a club? At the end of the day it's just a business.

Dred, I have never had a problem with Ronaldo or any player asking to leave, if check anything I have written on the topic it has always been about 'HOW RONALDO WENT ABOUT HIS BUSINESS', up to now he has not come out and said 'I want to leave United becuase I want to play for Real'. Is hint, hint, or you hearing it from one of his many mouth pieces. He never even put in a transfer request. As far as Keane goes I agree it is a business and it will always be a business, players have every right to come and go and teams have every right to let players go when they no longer offer anything to their teams; that is life 'what have you done for me lately?" In my opinon Keane always dropping in he 2cents which he is allowed to do but his 2cents always appear to be aimed at some United scene. He  need to get over what happened at United and do it differently if he did not like how it was done to him. But I am waiting for the day when he has to walk the walk. Lets see if can back it up!

Offline trinikev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2008, 01:38:57 PM »

Dred, I have never had a problem with Ronaldo or any player asking to leave, if check anything I have written on the topic it has always been about 'HOW RONALDO WENT ABOUT HIS BUSINESS', up to now he has not come out and said 'I want to leave United becuase I want to play for Real'. Is hint, hint, or you hearing it from one of his many mouth pieces. He never even put in a transfer request. As far as Keane goes I agree it is a business and it will always be a business, players have every right to come and go and teams have every right to let players go when they no longer offer anything to their teams; that is life 'what have you done for me lately?" In my opinon Keane always dropping in he 2cents which he is allowed to do but his 2cents always appear to be aimed at some United scene. He  need to get over what happened at United and do it differently if he did not like how it was done to him. But I am waiting for the day when he has to walk the walk. Lets see if can back it up!

Fair enuff, i cud live with that
I support all Soca Warriors....Red, White and Blacklist

Offline look at ting now!

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2008, 11:27:31 PM »
As a manager things are seen from an entirely different perspective than a player does. It somehow makes one cringe when you know that he has two of our more proficient players in Edwards and Jones in his squad. He makes reference to players treated like "piece of meat". Do you think as a manager he is anything different than those he seems to be pointing his gun at? The amount of money these guys have at their disposal, it is at times very easy to get rid of you as quickly as they get you. Loyalty can really be a "two-way street" but the manager directing the traffic, so who really is the winner?

1]; } ?>