May 05, 2024, 12:43:55 AM

Author Topic: GENERAL ELECTIONS COMING SOON IN 2010 !  (Read 135773 times)

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: GENERAL ELECTIONS COMING SOON IN 2010 !
« Reply #780 on: May 08, 2010, 10:31:59 AM »
I took a diary I had and began to circle a number of dates. I circled the 24th of May, I circled the date on which we will have to dissolve the Parliament, I circled the date on which we would have to have a special convention ... I circled the date on which we should start walkabouts in constituencies, I circled the date on which we should start walkabouts in the national community ... all of these dates were circles against the possibility, and against the possibility that the diary fell into the wrong hands, I circled some other dates that were of no significance at all,

So even if, my dear friends, that diary fell into the wrong hands it would have meant absolutely nothing to who got it,

Well played, Patos.  well played. 

I eagerly await the increased majority that will inevitably come about as a result of this masterstroke.

AirMan

« Reply #781 on: May 08, 2010, 10:58:30 AM »
news now saying that there is a 5 million dollar hit out on kamla.

silly season getting ridiculous yes.

A call from Rienzi complex...to St. Joseph police station. I eh sure what to think from that....

NO TRACE
Top cop denies Manning's claim phone number identified in Kamla 'hit'
Akile Simon akile.simon@trinidadexpress.com
Saturday, May 8th 2010

ACTING Deputy Police Commissioner Gilbert Reyes has denied a statement by Prime Minister Patrick Manning that police were able to trace the call which was made to the United National Congress’ (UNC) Rienzi Complex, Couva, headquarters, alleging there was a $5 million hit on the head of Political Leader of the UNC Kamla Persad-Bissessar.

News of a multi-million-dollar contract allegedly being placed on the life of Persad-Bissessar came to the attention of the police on Wednesday after a man, claiming to be an officer assigned to the St Joseph Police Station, called Rienzi Complex and said a contract was out for Persad-Bissessar’s assassination.

However, during a People’s National Movement (PNM) meeting at the Centre City Mall in Chaguanas on Thursday night, Manning said he was informed by police the reported hit against Persad-Bissessar was a hoax.

’The minute I saw it (the newspaper headlines), of course, I would contact the security authorities and I said, ’But what is going on here?’’ Manning told the audience.

’I am now in a position to tell you that they have reported to me tonight (Thursday) that the entire matter is a hoax. Indeed, they have the telephone number of the telephone from which the call was made, and they have a good idea of who made that call.’ Continue http://www.trinidadexpress.com/index.pl/nart?id=161655580

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: May 08, 2010, 11:09:46 AM »
PM: I had election date since last year

The headline alone make mih want to.......

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

So, so, so <chokes back tears>  Patos, <more tears>  yuh know yuh was failing since last year??....and have we under all dat pressure....oh lord, PNMites please, ah beggin' help we out nah....pleeeeaaassseee!!!...

Now to read the rest of the article....<still in tears>....

Edit:

IT GET WORSE!!!....

’So even if, my dear friends, that diary fell into the wrong hands it would have meant absolutely nothing to who got it,’ he added.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Just the mental alone on this have mih weak!!  Surely this must be the work of the Prophetess.....
:rotfl: :rotfl:  :rotfl: :rotfl:

Patrick stop alright, Kamla screwing things up nicely, what are you worried about??.....but thanks for the joke of the day.....yuh like Bush, if PNM lose ah goh miss yuh.....like ah missing Panday, sheer entertainment....
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 11:15:09 AM by Brownsugar »
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

AirMan

« Reply #783 on: May 08, 2010, 11:17:19 AM »
Brownsugar what you think was Dr Eric Williams response from his grave, after reading that article (PM:I had the date since last year) ?? ..lol
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 11:21:07 AM by AirMan »

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: May 08, 2010, 11:33:45 AM »
Brownsugar what you think was Dr Eric Williams response from his grave, after reading that article (PM:I had the date since last year) ?? ..lol

Boy I know the Doc rolling in he grave long time over this clown....
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Boodsy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: May 08, 2010, 01:15:55 PM »
PM: I had election date since last year

apparently he forget this before his "Foot in Mouth" pronouncement...

Prime Minister Patrick Manning has defended his decision to dissolve Parliament 24-hours before a no-confidence motion was expected to be filed against him by the Opposition. Manning, who was speaking to reporters on day two of the screening process at Balisier House in Port-of-Spain on Thursday night, said he answered the Opposition calls by facilitating them with a general election. “The purpose of a no-confidence motion is to precede a general election. The method the Opposition was using to bring about a general election could not succeed, so I said I will facilitate it with a general election.

Source: http://guardian.co.tt/news/politics/2010/04/10/manning-come-outside-and-say-so

--------------------------
smh  ::)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 02:17:29 PM by Boodsy »

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: May 08, 2010, 05:51:57 PM »
Manning eh just an ass...he a premeditated ass oui. You go still call an early election..after having 26 seats....11 over de opposition......after a very public falling out with one of yuh most senior ministers....and after lambasting one of yuh most popular party members in de very public parliament...and was STILL planning to call an election for kicks? Steups.

The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: May 08, 2010, 06:00:04 PM »

Boy I know the Doc rolling in he grave long time over this clown....
imagine
we getting second hand leadership from Ms Cleo :devil:
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

AirMan

« Reply #788 on: May 08, 2010, 10:37:10 PM »

The Marginals - Pointe-a-Pierre

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ne0AqB6MU70" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Ne0AqB6MU70</a>

Offline signal

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: May 09, 2010, 06:10:35 AM »
Maybe i missed it on the news..but did Robinson really come out and endorsed uncoptop?

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/index.pl/nart?id=161654547

whey de endorsement dey??? by telling her not to quit??

That is the question you have to ask your source..

President robinson released a statement saying that he endorsed no one for PM and he certainly did not endorse any political party

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/index.pl/nart?id=161656802
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 06:56:46 AM by signal »
If...
chief justice ivor archie say so
ex-chief justice sharma say so
law assoc pres martin daly say so
transpareny institute say so
Ken Gordon say so
jones p say so....then is so!!!

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: May 09, 2010, 06:23:12 AM »
Long time we eh get a NACTA poll.....hhhhhmmmm Mr. NACTA gun shy after he was soooooo totally wrong calling the UNC elections.....
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #791 on: May 09, 2010, 06:31:52 AM »
Long time we eh get a NACTA poll.....hhhhhmmmm Mr. NACTA gun shy after he was soooooo totally wrong calling the UNC elections.....
They were so badly off it was embarrassing.It confirmed the bias many suspected.

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: May 09, 2010, 08:18:27 AM »
Robbie as a PM had more balls dan all de rest and is now showing the class as a true statesman
:thumbsup:
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline 1-868

• Hero Warrior
  • Haters love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: May 09, 2010, 11:43:58 AM »
I haven't endorsed anyone, says ANR

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/index.pl/nart?id=161656802

Akile Simon
Sunday, May 9th 2010

In a release issued from 21 Ellerslie Park, St Clair yesterday, Robinson said that he has noted reports in the print and electronic media that he has given his support to the UNC Leader in the upcoming general election and wished to set the record straight.

’My desire has been and is to be out of politics,’ said Robinson, explaining that the lunch meeting with Persad Bissessar came about as a result of an invitation extended to him by Daphne Bartlett, chairperson of a Poverty Eradication Fund in his name on behalf of Persad-Bissessar.

’As an act of civility, and given the hostile atmosphere in the country, I accepted but asked that the lunch take place at my residence.

’This is contrary to the report that appeared in one of the daily newspapers that ’The encounter came about after Robinson’s office had contacted her (Persad-Bissessar’s) office’. Mrs Daphne Bartlett facilitated the meeting,’ said Robinson.

’I permitted Mrs Persad-Bissessar to be accompanied by one person, she came with her sister and was later joined by Mr. Ashworth Jack, TOP Leader, with whom I had a longstanding relationship. I was accompanied by Mr. Guy Hannays, my lawyer.

’I wish to make it clear that I have not endorsed any candidate for Prime Minister; neither have I endorsed any political party in the upcoming elections,’ he said.

Phenomenal, lovely atmosphere.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: May 09, 2010, 11:50:10 AM »
Dis remind me of when Jack and Panday went and check Mandela before last elections.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #795 on: May 09, 2010, 01:46:37 PM »
Dis remind me of when Jack and Panday went and check Mandela before last elections.

Nah nutten cyah touch dat. Dat was a classic.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #796 on: May 09, 2010, 01:52:11 PM »
I always thought Robinson was a man of class, a true citizen.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: May 09, 2010, 05:51:09 PM »
I always thought Robinson was a man of class, a true citizen.

That's my beloved Robbie.... :)
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline STEUPS!!

• Hero Warrior
  • a.k.a warrior queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: May 09, 2010, 05:58:48 PM »
5 people died in a house fire in barataria and ppl (tv6 news) linkin it to d election because the family who lived in that house were strong campaigners for d UNC.

if is true, den dis election gettin real outta hand.

but a find tv6 and errol mc cleod too, shouldnt be makin no allegations an linkages without proof. is so comess an bachanal does start
Doh f**k wit MY warriors!!!

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: May 09, 2010, 06:02:48 PM »
5 people died in a house fire in barataria and ppl (tv6 news) linkin it to d election because the family who lived in that house were strong campaigners for d UNC.

but a find tv6 and errol mc cleod too, shouldnt be makin no allegations an linkages without proof. is so comess an bachanal does start
yeah, well said
leh we hope people smarter than dem reporters
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: May 09, 2010, 06:13:25 PM »

yeah, well said
leh we hope people smarter than dem reporters

No it not. People quick to jump on anyting and claim is election violence and all kinda dotishness. And people EAGER to do anyting to discredit de other side.

Volney gone talking out he ass and claiming is PNM organise CEPEPP workers conduct de silent protest....yuh hear oh..dey were disruptive because dey "walked and pushed through the crowd aggressively". Only to find out is de man brother who organise it.

Den Hospedales getting dash with paint in a walk about two days later...and i eh go doubt that retribution for the so called PNM arranged protest may have played a role.

Now dis dotishness fireboming a house....and claiming it politically motivated..without proof. So when Anand Ramlogan office get firebombed before de election date get called and he even get selected as a candidate.

And i hear how PNM gone and put a setta bills on Pointe a Pierre campaign office.

Blasted dotishness. Buh yuh go always hear de other side to blame....never dem.

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: May 09, 2010, 06:39:27 PM »

d media quick tuh bawl election violence..on cnc3 they bawlin unc activist dis unc activist dat...and wen d story trail off dey mention that the family was a family of a man who had a dispute/altercation wit a criminal gang member earlier..

AirMan

« Reply #802 on: May 10, 2010, 12:31:51 AM »

Source: http://www.trinidadexpress.com/index.pl/nart?id=161657708

FIVE DIE IN FIRE
RELATIVES CLAIM CAMPAIGN CONNECTION

Akile Simon akile.
Monday, May 10th 2010

FIVE PEOPLE, including two children, died in a fire at the home of a known United National Congress (UNC) activist, which police and fire officials believe was deliberately set.

Around 1.45 a.m. yesterday, a loud explosion startled residents of Sixth Avenue, Barataria.

The explosion ignited a car parked close to the entrance of an apartment where Ranchan ’Bellies’ Dourgah, 54, lived with his wife, Taramatie Sirju-Dourgah, 56, grandchildren Nivon Bobby David, 11, and 22-month-old Christianna Dourgah, and their son-in-law Titus Joel Gabriel, 27.

The wooden entrance of the apartment, an annex to a house occupied by other members of the Dourgah family, quickly caught fire, trapping the five victims inside. The apartment did not have any fire escape and only one entrance.

Residents and relatives tried to douse the flames with buckets of water and hoses before the Fire Service arrived at the scene and extinguished the blaze and found the bodies of the five victims.

In an immediate response, the Police Service stated that an investigation had been launched but noted ’as it is still very early in the investigation, no motive or cause of the fire has been determined’
Continue http://www.trinidadexpress.com/index.pl/nart?id=161657708

AirMan

« Reply #803 on: May 10, 2010, 01:08:51 AM »

Source: http://www.trinidadexpress.com/index.pl/nart?id=161657708

FIVE DIE IN FIRE
RELATIVES CLAIM CAMPAIGN CONNECTION

Akile Simon akile.
Monday, May 10th 2010

FIVE PEOPLE, including two children, died in a fire at the home of a known United National Congress (UNC) activist, which police and fire officials believe was deliberately set.

Around 1.45 a.m. yesterday, a loud explosion startled residents of Sixth Avenue, Barataria.

The explosion ignited a car parked close to the entrance of an apartment where Ranchan ’Bellies’ Dourgah, 54, lived with his wife, Taramatie Sirju-Dourgah, 56, grandchildren Nivon Bobby David, 11, and 22-month-old Christianna Dourgah, and their son-in-law Titus Joel Gabriel, 27.

The wooden entrance of the apartment, an annex to a house occupied by other members of the Dourgah family, quickly caught fire, trapping the five victims inside. The apartment did not have any fire escape and only one entrance.

Residents and relatives tried to douse the flames with buckets of water and hoses before the Fire Service arrived at the scene and extinguished the blaze and found the bodies of the five victims.

In an immediate response, the Police Service stated that an investigation had been launched but noted ’as it is still very early in the investigation, no motive or cause of the fire has been determined’
Continue http://www.trinidadexpress.com/index.pl/nart?id=161657708

Video link http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid75997063001?bctid=84086249001

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: May 10, 2010, 08:38:57 AM »
Proper-gander or trute...?

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: May 10, 2010, 09:13:37 AM »
truth
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: May 10, 2010, 09:42:33 AM »
A response in the Guardian from Kamla's visit to Laventille

Proper-gander or trute

trinitodebone...REMEMBER LAVENTILLE WHAT THIS WOMAN & UNC DID TO US THE LAST TIME. This WITCH closed down schools, youth training programs, and helped in facilitating the lawlessness that we all see. The UNC, in its short 6 years in power destroyed Laventille. Overnight, this well-educated, gainfully employed, crime-free community was transformed into a hellhole. Contrary to the stories of nothing good coming out of Laventille that wasn't always the truth. But under the UNC it quickly became a breeding ground for restless young criminals. The youths suddenly dropped out of secondary schools, university, and professional life. All this under Kamla's tutlage as Education Minister. Youths they promptly resigned their well-paying jobs and decided to use their life’s savings to buy Reebok’s and Nikes, expensive jeans, gold for their front teeth and guns.
ThE UNC tried to take over the hill deliberately brought INDIANS to the hill when they were in power. They invaded Laventille and took over the businesses. They infiltrated the steel band movement and built soup kitchens. They started robbing people whose cars stalled along the Beetham highway. They quickly gave Laventille a real bad name yes. The final straw of course, came when they gained control of that enviable, lucrative PNM project that generated employment, hefty paychecks and Christmas bonuses for so many-- the wonderful employment project fondly referred to as the prestigious Beetham Dump. Ahh, how the loss of that money-spinner put Laventille into a tailspin. There was no hope for survival other than a life of robbing and murdering to wear Nike and Reebok, gold teeth and expensive jeans
So, now she's is coming back to finish off the job this time with UNITY as her cover. I dont think so WOOLF IN SHEEPS CLOTHING...............AGAIN NO PLAN, NO VISION, JUST WE READY TO RULE, AS PER QUEEN KAMLA.............PNM2020

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: May 10, 2010, 09:46:46 AM »
Proper-gander or Trute-

The PM's grocery bill per month..

Published: 10 May 2010
Radhica Sookraj
While mothers are struggling to afford baby milk, Prime Minister Patrick Manning spends close to $80,000 in groceries per week, former Senator Wade Mark alleged on Saturday. He was addressing hundreds of UNC supporters at a cottage meeting held at Macaulay Junction, Claxton Bay. Mark said more than $20,000 was spent to purchase pork and chicken from a popular farm. “He buys close to $25,000 every week from Hi-Lo,” Mark said. He also claimed that every week, two cases of wine—red and white—were purchased for the Prime Minister’s residence. “When our mothers are being jailed for simply taking up a bag or a tin of Klim or a bag of milk to take care of their children, because they are unemployed, Manning is spending over $80,000 a week, while moms starve and children go hungry in this nation,” Mark said.

He added that when the People’s Partnership comes into office, there would be proper provisions of food, clothing and shelter for all the people of T&T. “When you measure performance of Government, you recognise that Government does not care about the poor and elderly and youths of T&T,” Mark said. He noted that after spending $300 billion in the last eight years, there was still no safety or security for people. “Crime is out of control in the nation,” he said. “There are no beds in hospitals for moms, fathers and children. The Education system still produces a poor level of education for children. “There is large-scale corruption in various institutions; poverty continues to stalk this land. There is increasing inequality in distribution of wealth income in this nation.”

Mark said when the People’s Partnership, led by the UNC, comes into office, the property tax would be abolished. He also said that Manning had abolished the old age pension and replaced it with the Senior Citizens Grant which restricted people from enjoying the full benefits of NIS and old age pension. Meanwhile, attorney Anand Ramlogan lashed out at the PNM administration, saying that when the new government assumes office, all the corrupt officials involved in state enterprise corruption would be jailed. “When we assume the reins of government we will attack full force, so get ready,” he said. He also said that instead of fattening criminals in jails, Government should clear ten acres of the forest, install an electronic fence and have the criminals plant crops to feed the nation.” Ramlogan also said that police needed vehicles with computer access so that they could get information on all vehicles within minutes.

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: May 10, 2010, 09:49:17 AM »
Jack on Gary Hunt

Naz Yacoob
Incumbent UNC MP for Chaguanas West, Jack Warner, says the Sport Ministry under the leadership of Gary Hunt has done nothing to improve the lives of sportsmen and sportswomen in this country. Warner, a high-ranking member of Fifa and who is strongly favoured to retain his seat in the upcoming May 24 general election, told the T&T Guardian the most they could remember regarding Government’s contribution to sport “was the disgraceful expenditure of $2 million to purchase a national flag.” “During a six-year period, some $143.6 million has been spent on sport, less than the sum used to build the Prime Minister’s palace, and still to date we have no facility of which we as a nation can be proud. “Since 2003, we have been promised five regional recreational grounds in Pleasantville, Diego Martin, Arima, Santa Cruz and Toco, and in spite of spending some $30.2 million, none of these facilities are even half completed or close to finish.”

He said since 2003, they had been promised three indoor youth sport facilities in Diego Martin, Sangre Grande and Arima, and in spite of spending some $6.1 million the only evidence of expenditure was erected fences in Arima and Sangre Grande and a guard booth overrun with garbage in Sangre Grande.
Warner identified the facilities the government said were completed but which were a poor reflection of a vision 20/20 for sport: Grande Riviere—$3.4 million—ladder to climb up the pavilion; steelrods exposed which is a threat to the sports persons; no toilet and bathroom fixtures at the facility; electrical cables exposed at ground level. Cocorite—$2.8 million incomplete facilities; steelrods exposed all over the ground; incomplete pavilion; no toilets, bathrooms. 

Very few sporting organisations have improved their global rankings; poor international visibility. Decrease in grass roots sports—major decline in funding, major decline in sports in communities; community facilities overrun with grass. However, Hunt defended his tenure in office, and said the fruits had been nurtured in the tenets of sound policy prescriptions namely, a national sport policy, which articulates total participation in sport and high performance in sport and a national youth policy which seeks to develop well-rounded, empowered young people to take their place in the governance of this nation. “In 2009, our athletes’ successes were from the community level to international, worldwide arena."

We saw our flag raised high at the 12th IAAF World Championships in Athletics held in Berlin, Germany, as we celebrated the success of our 100m relay team: Richard Thompson, Emmanuel Callender, Mark Burns and Darryl Brown, who captured silver in the 4 x 100 relay at the World Track and Field Championships. Two of our athletes from our sister isle were especially successful at these world games. Josanne Lucas set a personal best and a new national record of 53.20 seconds in the women’s 400 metres hurdles where she earned a bronze medal and Rennie Quow, a young man of humble beginnings, has risen out of adversity to capture bronze in the 400m hurdles. Young Jehue Gordon, at the age of 17, is this country’s youngest athlete to qualify for the IAAF’s World Championships. He was also the youngest finalist from any country to compete at the World Championships,” Hunt said.

Article Tools

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: May 10, 2010, 10:52:06 AM »
Proper-Gander or Trute

Even manning boy turn on him yes

A letter of comfort
Published: 10 May 2010
Dear Mr Manning: I was disappointed when you called upon Makandal Daaga to apologise to Christians for his having desecrated (your words) the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception during the Black Power revolt of 1970. I was even more disturbed when you castigated him for wearing a dashiki in these post-Black Power days although you wear African clothes on Emancipation Day, one of the few concessions that you make towards your Africanness. In your speech, you reminded Christians that what happened in the past is likely to happen in the future so that they ought to be on their guard against Daaga. Therefore, you requested that the leadership of the RC Church demand “a letter of comfort” from Mr Daaga to assuage their doubts and to ease their fears. Given Mr Daaga’s busy schedule, I thought I would provide you with a letter of comfort since you display a misunderstanding of our history, particularly when he is contributing to the national debate of healing and understanding.
As I listened to your remarks, I was tempted to remind you that the doctrines of the Roman Catholic Church were used to enslave Africans in this land. As early as 1789, the governing authorities issued a Cedula which made every slave owner obligated to instruct his slaves in the principles of Roman Catholicism. It did not matter if the enslaved Africans were Igbo or Hausa and that they practised Yoruba or Islam that believed in monotheism and an afterlife. In 1797, when Ralph Abercromby captured Trinidad for the British, only the Roman Catholic Church was recognised by law and supported by the Government. After February 1797, every person landing in Trinidad had to become a Roman Catholic or be prevented from worshipping in any other church. Thank God, the Hindus hadn’t arrived on these shores yet. From 1817 to 1824, the British Government asked the churches to assist them in preparing enslaved Africans for emancipation.
An Order in Council of 1824 provided religious instructions for all the slaves and ordered the clergymen to deliver to the commandant of each quarter (something analogous to a county) the name and place of abode of every enslaved African who was instructed in the principles of religion. In 1834, when slavery was abolished, the Home Government gave lots of money to instruct the newly-freed Africans in the Christian religion. I cite these facts to let you know that the Roman Catholic and the other established churches played a large role in obliterating the religion of African peoples and contributing to our dispossession in this land. In 1848, Lord Harris was forced to affirm that “a race has been freed but a society has not been formed” and in 1970, at a special PNM convention, Eric Williams reminded us that T&T was founded on the European colonial values of racism—the assumed superiority of white over black.
At that convention, which I am sure you attended, Dr Williams asserted that “the most pernicious affect of colonialism…for the West Indies has been that many black people have ‘internalised’ this (European) value system and have come to believe in the deepest recesses of their minds that black is in fact inferior to white. Black dignity in the Caribbean, as elsewhere in the New World, will be achieved only if (a) sense of worth is established (among black people.)” It was this revulsion against presumptions of white superiority that led the followers of Black Power to call for the elimination of all manifestations of whiteness from their systems and their accompanying symbols. I am sure you would remember that the promotion of African cultural values was an inescapably part of that revolution of values that took place among black Trinidadians/Tobagonians. I do not know where you were when this revolution against the pernicious influences of whiteness was taking place but I know that the church began to take a deeper look into its participation in a value system that was detrimental to the liberation of the African person.
Therefore, to the degree that the doctrines and symbols of the Roman Catholic Church contributed to the devaluation of the lives of black people, it is to that degree that the purveyors of Black Power were correct to consider painting the entire church in black if such an action contributed to our spiritual reclamation. You are fond of telling the story that when you first went up for screening, Dr Williams asked you if you read Frantz Fanon’s The Wretched of the Earth. You would remember that Fanon talked about the cleansing nature of violence as a way to expunge the crippling psychological aspects that colonialism had upon the psyche of our people. While Dr Williams may not have agreed with painting all of the symbols of the Roman Catholic Church black, he would certainly have understood that such a desire on the part of any progressive black man of the time was perfectly reasonable.
It is commendable that such an action did not take place but to ask Mr Daaga to apologise for a gesture that spoke to the psychological cleansing of the wretched of this nation is to blaspheme against all that is best in our people. Unfortunately, it also demonstrates an ignorance of what we, as a people, had to overcome to get us where we are today. I hope that you give a second thought to your utterances. Perhaps you may have the courage to apologise to our brother for your ignoble suggestions. As Dr Williams understood only too well, we can only reconstruct our society if we understand where we were in the past; what we had to do to get where we are today; and the imperative that we honour those who helped us to see our condition, particularly at moments when we tend to be blinded by our eyes and become tone deaf by our rhetoric.
Selwyn R Cudjoe
Prof Cudjoe’s e-mail address is scudjoe@wellesley.edu

1]; } ?>