May 10, 2024, 01:43:07 AM

Author Topic: Ganga has proved hes a better captain than Hinds  (Read 4854 times)

TrinInfinite

Ganga has proved hes a better captain than Hinds
« on: January 10, 2006, 12:29:52 PM »
In this article in the express,it asserts that Ganga is a better captain, gangas assessment of the pitch, his line-up and the opponents line-up, plus his field placements during the match, proves he a more intelligent and capable captain for the west indies, Hinds made a bad judgement call, plus the use of spin and pace, ganga uses variation in his attacks, as opposed to one dimensional attacks, however he knows how to use his spinners as opposed to Hinds

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/index.pl/article_sports?id=127364153
« Last Edit: January 10, 2006, 12:31:48 PM by TrinInfinite »

Offline UnWiseSage (aka Jahyute)

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Ganga has proved hes a better captain than Hinds
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2006, 03:08:55 PM »
agreed.

Offline vibetrini

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2006, 01:14:47 PM »
most agree that ganga, tactically wise is prob the best captain option of the west indies, however can he make the squad as a batsman... that is the question, and only ganaga can show us through performances for the WI team in new zeland.

when lara back for d tnt vs guyana match, we go see how good ganga does in organising his troops in the face of an imposing lara figure.

Offline cm103

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2006, 03:32:03 PM »
Lara need to concentrate on his batting and help mould a young team. D captaincy should go to someone who can manage to hold the job and motivate a regional team that seems fractured along island lines.

I know I was one that didn't agree with Ganga's selection or possible captaincy. I also said i would eat my words if he proved me wrong. Looks like I'll be doing that. If he keeps this up then he deserves a selection at least to see if he can cut it again in the big time and a possible vice role to start out in NZ. Sarwan needs to think more about consistency and his role instead of holding together a team at this point.

TrinInfinite

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2006, 10:42:53 AM »
very good analysis, lets see what unfolds

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2006, 11:52:58 AM »
I stil dont think not convinced that he can captain the West Indies.
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Offline vibetrini

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2006, 12:08:31 PM »
I think once he can solidify his place as a batsman on the team, then he would be quickly considred for  the captaincy post... whether as captain of WI he could still keep up a good batting form is another question which i hope Ganga would answer sooner rather than later.

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2006, 11:22:50 AM »
I don't think a man should be selected for a team to captain the players and yet cannot even command a regular position on merit. That argument holds true for me for both Ganga and Hinds. Ganga's ability to lead a team in an often considered "weak competition" does not support his selection to lead the West Indies. I am not debating his ability to captain T&T or even his ability to bat in the regional game since I respect what's he contributed in both areas. However, he's proven that he cannot handle the rigours of the international game and captaining T&T against Jamaica is very different from captaining the West Indies against New Zealand.

Bottomline, selecting either Hinds or Ganga to the team and especially as a captain would be a mistake.

TrinInfinite

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2006, 12:09:32 PM »
though u make some sense wolfman, Ganga has captained the west indies A and tt to the double in regionals, hinds has achieved only at regional level and has never captained a west indies A team, however Ganga has been left out of the squad for other reasons rather than performance, he has been given an unfair cut from the team on many occassions when he was suppose to be there. In seeing that, he hasnt been given a fair enough chance, seeing that hinds and gayle have failed and been given repeated chances, when Ganga should have played in their places. I cannot see hinds as captain, nor can i see sarwan or gayle, or even meh boy lara, Ganga will do well, bc he has the experience and can command a strong team.

However I do agree that new zealand is not jamaica, but u surely cannot say Chanders is a better Captain than Ganga, you will be pushing the envelope if you state that. I knowing that, ganga is the best choice at the moment in the west indies.

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2006, 02:03:22 PM »
I agree that Chanders is probably not a better captain than Ganga, but Chanders on merit has earned his spot on the team. That has been my point from the very beginning. I do not agree with picking "a captain". I must select a team and from that team select the player most capable to lead them.

I agree also that Hinds and Gayle have been given more than their fair share of chances, but I do not agree that we must make the same mistake with every player. If anything more players should be treated like Ganga. If you fail you get dropped. Sarwan and Gayle in particular are very fortunate in terms of being given chances to play even when they are not performing.

I will ask this very simple question. Which one of the great West Indian captains were not deserving of a spot on the team? I'm sure that you will find that they all would have been on the team even if they were not the captain.

TrinInfinite

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2006, 05:04:13 PM »
Ganga is deserving, how much times, does the man have to hit a century and captain a winning side to get picked? How many times will he captain the west indies a and win and not get picked?

Here is a question for you, when they had trials for Australia, and Ganga was the top scorer and batted de bess, why was devon smith and hinds picked over him?

of course ganga deserves a place, along with kelly and mohummed, get real nah Yardman.

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2006, 06:21:29 PM »
Ganga has looked good recently but i jes dont think he will progress at international level.

TI if you believe so then thats fine.

We are all intitled to our opnions.

You've brought forth some decent arguements but sayin dwolfman is a tru yardman is not needed.

He is not bein bias to his players atol.

Bredrin doh run de man from de site he's have some intelligent and reasonable veiws and yuh houndin him dred. Give he ah chance nuh.

yuh realize he never really trip out or so much as dis you eh.

common man set a standard for the trini sophist.

Offline sinned

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2006, 10:04:27 PM »
I think that if the West Indies pick Ganga right now he will give them the runs. The man is in the best form of his life and I see this man batting long time now and I have never seen him so confident at the crease. He has improved many aspects of his game such as his running between the wickets, his freeness to play shots and his concentration. Captaincy has only made him better. And what is often overlooked is that Darren is a very good fielder; one of the most underrated but one of the best in the Caribbean - he has very safe hands and could actually slide and dive and gives a good effort everytime on the field.
nuff said

Offline gtokyo

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2006, 01:41:46 AM »
One cannot be considered for the Captaincy of the WI team, unless they can CEMENT a permanent batting position. Regardless of how many runs Ganga scores in regional cricket, this is not at the International level. Also it seems to me most of Ganga's runs has been scored on Caribbean pitches. This reminds me of Graeme Hick who use to score runs for fun on the same Englsih pitches in the County Championships during his stint at Worcestershire and when it came to representing England, he couldnt hack it. Having said that though he did begin to prosper later on during his International cricketing career. I cannot believe that I can even dwell on the comparison between the 2 since I believe Hick is miles ahead of Ganga as a batsman.    In defense of Ganga, I can see him representing WI at Test level but I think he needs to be selected for this tour of NZ and grab this opportunity by the throat...He has played a fair amount of cricket in the Australian Academy. However, I am not sure whether the wickets in Aust and NZ play the same.  If my memory serves me right, the 2 test centuries he scored was against Australia in the Caribbean. Anyway he gets my vote for selection of this tour but he needs to hold down the crease and score some runs. How many lives does a cat have?  Ask Carl Hooper..
« Last Edit: January 14, 2006, 01:52:18 AM by gtokyo »

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2006, 11:18:42 AM »
I think that if the West Indies pick Ganga right now he will give them the runs. The man is in the best form of his life and I see this man batting long time now and I have never seen him so confident at the crease. He has improved many aspects of his game such as his running between the wickets, his freeness to play shots and his concentration. Captaincy has only made him better. And what is often overlooked is that Darren is a very good fielder; one of the most underrated but one of the best in the Caribbean - he has very safe hands and could actually slide and dive and gives a good effort everytime on the field.
nuff said

I HATE DE MAN...

buh your driving ah very good arguement and from what you are saying here maybe i do believe he should be given a chance. 

He does however need to patch up some wounded player relationships.

TrinInfinite

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2006, 12:48:32 PM »
even he have wounded player relationships that should not prevent him from playing for the west indies, these wounds can be healed, he needs to b selected, fair is fair, ganga deserves a pick

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2006, 04:03:57 PM »
even he have wounded player relationships that should not prevent him from playing for the west indies, these wounds can be healed, he needs to b selected, fair is fair, ganga deserves a pick

yea i suppose right now i have to agree with that but lets let it play out a bit more... is just a match so far we will really see him shine or fade in the coming of days...

TrinInfinite

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2006, 11:00:27 AM »
well ah hope he continues to perform, if he fails for the rest of the series, i to will disown him

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2006, 07:53:00 AM »
Ganga is probably one of the best looking batsmen we'll see in the game. However, looking good and scoring runs are two different things. If the only criterion for selection is batting in the regional tournament then I will not argue his inclusion in the team. In my opinion though he's had his chances and done nothing with them.

He scored two centuries against Australia and in that same series also scored 2 ducks a two and another low score that I cannot remember. 2 centuries in 54 innings is not international class no matter how good he looks in the region. If that's the case then Junior Murray and Stuart Williams should have been playing long after they got dropped from the West Indies team for the last time.

TrinInfinite

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2006, 11:09:09 AM »
he has the best technique of all openers in the caribbean and also is the best captain, he is also in form right now and is young, what else do you need?

Offline cm103

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2006, 11:18:59 AM »
Ah read today that Cozier want Hinds to captain d WI. Sometime ah really cyah take dat man.

I really starting to lean towards if Ganga could keep up his form and break into the NZ tour we go hear all dem other jounalists calling for him to skipper the side in the near future. With the right captain to lead that side they could rise fast, d talent there, just not the leadership.

TrinInfinite

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2006, 04:12:09 PM »
Ah read today that Cozier want Hinds to captain d WI. Sometime ah really cyah take dat man.

I really starting to lean towards if Ganga could keep up his form and break into the NZ tour we go hear all dem other jounalists calling for him to skipper the side in the near future. With the right captain to lead that side they could rise fast, d talent there, just not the leadership.

boss, it have real man doubtin meh on here, but personally i cant see ganga not performing as captain, hinds is a shithound, so many chances and he never have a match winning innings, cozier is another ass in some of he logic, one minute he callin for a spinner and the next minute he calling for hinds as captain, hinds cannot even open a damn innings, far less beat tt in a regional, yet dey callin for him over ganga, wheres de sense in it?

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2006, 05:36:38 PM »
yuh too big head dred.

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2006, 10:20:11 AM »
If it is two things that TI and I can agree on is that Hinds is not good enough and that Cozier is an ass and his logic is often flawed.

TrinInfinite

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2006, 03:59:54 PM »
wolfman i agree fully  :beermug:

however in light of this, whether ganga is the best is left to be seen, i am an advocate of giving ganga a chance, if he does well, all the better, if not, at least we exhausted all of our avenues

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2006, 07:35:16 PM »
I agree with wolfman...ganga needs to cement his place as a player before he can be considered for captaincy.  He has not performed at the international level...he looks good at the regional level like many other West Indian players but has not made an impact against international competition. 

Sadly there are are no real candidates for WI captain...the players who may be capable of leading are not performing and the ones who are perfoming do not have leadership qualities.  Until Ramdin is ready (next 6 or 7 years), we have to make do with chanderpaul and sarwan unless ganga start scoring runs and stop acting like carl hooper (looking good and scoring only 35 runs).

Offline cm103

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2006, 01:05:27 PM »
I see Ganga taking this chance and doing something with it. I was a strong advocate against Ganga before since he wasted his previous chances but I was proven wrong by him this year.

He'll be captain at some point, I see him performing in this series and the next, just a feeling I have.

Allyuh see how he batting with Lara at Guaracara? He's a leader and knows when to attack and when to rebuild. I wish him the best.

1]; } ?>