May 02, 2024, 05:05:55 PM

Author Topic: Triniwings match report..Warriors warm my heart:)  (Read 9271 times)

Offline triniwings

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
Triniwings match report..Warriors warm my heart:)
« on: May 18, 2005, 11:43:32 PM »
Triniwings Match Report.

I commence this match report by making everyone aware that T&T is certainly without a doubt going to qualify for Germany 2006. It may be too late to grab a third place finish, but with some extra work in addition to what we have accomplished so far under Leo B, 4th place has our names written all over it. We are on a course bound for a home-and-away battle with the 5th place Asain qualifier.

I arrived at the game 5 minutes before kickoff, and this was our starting line-up and eventual formation:

Ince
                         Lawrence       A.John
   A.Charles                                                 Rojas                                 

Edwards           Whitley         Birchall            Tiger

Jones                     Yorke

Today, our Soca Warriors exibited a fine display of total football for the majority of the 94 minutes of regulation and added on extra time. I was quite impressed with our possesion play especially in the first half, and in particular how we banded together as a team in our offensive and defensive efforts.
The team played a compact style of total football, with virtually no gaps between midfield and defense/attack.
The Warriors proved to all concerned that our foreign-based legion are on another level to that of their local counterparts. Although the final score turned out to be a 1-0 victory to the visiting team, I believe that our efforts and our experimenting have produced results at a significant time in our build-up to our do-or-die date with the Panamanians. The majority of players showed compousure, class, quality ball control and our team has made great strides towards peaking at a time when it counts the most, namely World Cup qualification.
The defense should be commended for their exceptional reading of the game, timely aggression and composure playing the ball across the back and bringing out into midfield. As opposed to last week's game with North East Stars, these defenders are at a different level in terms of technique and skill. Marlon Rojas had a very average game, but I believe he is not substitutable as there is no one else in the squad that is groomed for this left wing back position. One must say however, that most of the time he does get the job done, but he would maybe do well to inject some confidence and unpredictability into his offensive game. Rojas did make some overlapping runs, linked up well with Tiger, and did advance into the opposing half, but with minimal effect. Given time, his game will improve, and I believe we should stick with him, he will learn in time. He does however seem to have his basics under control, which is exactly what is needed. The only other downside to his game is his marking. His man-marking can be very loose at times, and because of his lack of pace he was caught out a few times. He played an acceptable game to in his position, but needs to improve quickly as we are to encounter faster and more skilful oppostion soon.
Avery John had a very solid game. He won most of his headers, tackled well, passed the ball well in the back while looking composed on the ball. His aggression was tempered, and his marking and closing down of the opposing players were exceptional. I believe he is at his ideal position at that Left Centre Back position. I am by no means a big fan of Dennis Lawrence, but to his credit, he has silenced his critics again. Dennis won most of his headers(obviously), did well to close down players, and was also composed at the back with the ball at his feet. He can remain in the starting line-up, but will have to battle for that Right Centre Back position with Marvin Andrews, Ian Cox, Brent Sancho and Anton Pierre. However, I am of the opinion that his competition should only be Marvin Andrews. Dennis made a few blunders, including closing down a player and backheeling it straight back into the player's path, but overall turned in a solid performance for the Warriors. Atiba Charles was also very solid at the back, composed on the ball, and effective in his defensive duties. He did make a few errors in judgement but will be forgiven after a gutzy performance at his position. He is extrememly effective when overlapping though, and the few times he did venture forward, he looked really confident at turning on the speed, taking on defenders and putting in crosses. He has developed good chemistry on the right side with Carlos Edwards. He is a must start.

The midfield also has improved vastly solely because of the addition of certain key players. Although, many have been hard on Tiger's performance, I thought he played quite well on the left wing. He linked up well with Rojas, took on players, was effective with his passes and tried a few crosses. I could not argue with his effort at all, but then he was substituted at the beginning of the second half. Tiger's work rate is very high, and he has earned a spot in my starting line-up in the very same position. Chris Birchall was my midfielder of the night. Birchall has very good ball control, excellent overall technique, he is decent at set plays, shows up everywhere for the ball, a tireless workhorse offensively and defensively, and has earned his spot in the starting line-up in center midfield after his international debut. Whitley had an above average game, but yet again was not nearly as effective as we know he can be. He did well to track back and help out with defensive responsibities, and generally passed the ball well, but some extra creativity and purpose in his play is needed. He is definitely good enough to come on as a substitute though. Spann or Theobald would most likely take his place in the starting line-up. Carlos Edwards put in one of his best perfomances with the Senior team in a very long time. I was very impressed with the progress Carlos has brought to his game. Edwards is a nippy right winger who appears to have increased in confidence after that knee injury which sidelined the player for months. He took the initiative to take on players when necessary, turned sharply, crossed the ball effectively, tracked back well to support the defense, and seems to have developed some good chemsitry with Atiba Charles coming forward on that right side.
Nakhid came on and played some nice one-touch football, turned well, passed well, and injected purpose and attacking flair into the midfield instantaneously, but he only lasted 20 mins or so before being roughed up and eventually substituted. Rahim, did not fair badly, looked a touch better than his last appearances actually, but will remain on the substitutes bench. But, to my dismay, Derek Phillips is a total waste of time, and is not ready for international football. He belongs in American domestic leagues. He cannot trap a ball to save his life. Phillips is technically weaker than all his teammates, and is a certain weak link that can be easily exposed by better opposition. 

The strikers were not given to much time on the ball with the exception of Dwight Yorke who cleverly slipped back several times to support the midfield. Yorke displayed true grit and effort once again and combined well with his midfield, earning him the accolade of being one of the better players on the night. Kenwyne Jones, was trying a post up game while trying to take on defenders. To his credit, he was not given a great deal of service as the ball was mostly kept in possesion with the betwel. Cornell Glen cannot create opportunities on his own, out of the game for long periods of time, and is only effective if given a 1v1 situation. His all-round game needs improvement. He is relegated to the bench. Sam came on for a few minutes but was very tightly marked, so he cud not make an immediate impact.

All in all, LeoB has done wonders with this foreign squad(vs local squad because of their superior technical ability and execution of the coach's plans.  The warriors played well as a team in defense and attack, and I for one am totally satisfied with their 1-0 loss.  Further progress will be made with our offensive threat in front of goal after more training sessions, and I expect nothing less than a draw against El Salvador.

My Starting eleven for Panama:

Ince
                         Lawrence/Dog       A.John
   A.Charles                                                   Rojas                                 

Edwards           Spann         Birchall            Tiger

Jones/Stern                     Yorke

Bench:Theobald,Dwarika,Glen,Sam,A.Pierre,Sancho,A.Eve.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2005, 05:05:00 AM by Flex »

Offline Marlon

• Sr. Warrior
  • Who the cap fit, let them wear it.
    • View Profile
Re: Triniwings match report..Warriors warm my heart:)
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2005, 12:23:23 AM »
sounds good, let's see what goes.

can you tell me some more about chris birchall?

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2005, 05:18:04 AM »
The only other downside to his game is his marking. His man-marking can be very loose at times, and because of his lack of pace he was caught out a few times. He played an acceptable game to in his position, but needs to improve quickly as we are to encounter faster and more skilful oppostion soon.

Marking is the MAIN thing we need from Rojas in that left back position, so if that is his weak point we HAVE to find a replacement.  I would suggest trying Avery in that position and bringing in Dog and Sancho in the middle for the next game.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2005, 06:43:26 AM »
TriniWings: Thanks for the insights and the information. I sense that there is potential  and incremental improvements. Barring the  final outcome /result of the game, the team appears headed in the right direction.

That is good news.
Thanks

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2005, 06:56:28 AM »
It looks like we finally find a replacement for Rougier in Birchall.After reading the report which states he is a WORKHORSE in the middle.Ah hope he rough too.We need a strong tackle like Rougier in the middle.

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2005, 07:04:43 AM »
the best part is de fella only 20 years old.  Plenty of improvement to come, maybe one day he and Jones and some others could be mashing up de EPL.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2005, 07:06:19 AM »
South Africa 2010 looking good

Offline triniwings

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2005, 07:21:30 AM »
Rojas does have his limitations, but nonetheless, 8/10 times he gets the job done.  Any replacement for him has to be one who is groomed and accustomed to the role and responsibilites of the left wing back position.  Avery is great at left center back, leave him there.  His strength in the air and aggression is needed.  The reason why he can't put him on the left instead and put Dog or Sancho in the middle is two-fold.  Dog and Sancho are too slow to be paired with Dennis in dee middle.  Fast players will make mass with them.  Avery is not only an excellent man-marker, but he adds some briskness and quick recovery to the defense along with atiba charles.  We need stability and balance at the back.  Yesterday's back line could start against Panama and would perform admirably.  Let Dennis, Dog and Cox fight for right centre back and we fix.  Dennis covers ground a bit faster than Dog though.  Anton Pierre struggles to cover ground quickly, but is an extra option off the bench.

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2005, 07:38:00 AM »
Triniwings

I glad you see the improvement and what we talking about in terms of overall play.

I just have one question for you.....Rojas breds?

First half he get away because we had 95% possession, and he still look poor, but when Lima take a tun in he tail second half, he just ent ready.

Also I ent basing this assessment on this one game........I basing it on his real salt lake games and all the games I see him play under Bertie.

He leaving men on side, and he not sticking to the man marking role....plus he have no speed. Also offensively in terms of overlap how much of that he do.

Now I agree he wasnt a total waste of time and he was semi competent, but at this level THE BEST must represent TT and he ent the best we have.

Avery John is the man for that spot.....with Andrews or Cox, going in the middle. You realise Leo like technical players, I feel he go like Cox when he see him and it will be him and Andrews in the center, Atiba on the right and Avery on the left. Lawrence on the bench with either Sancho or Anton.''

That is the best back 4 we have right now!

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2005, 07:39:38 AM »
Well out of the 3 reports we get, you are the only one backing Rojas, Touches and Andre say he should get de axe.  So who should we believe?
I still don't trust Lawrence after the Guatemala debacle.  I was saying to try Dog and Sancho together, not paired with Dennis, they have a good understanding of each other from past games and I don't think Sancho is quite as slow as you say.  Avery has played in that left back role many times before, even if he isn't playing there for his club now.  Quickness and MARKING!! is needed at left back as well.

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2005, 07:52:33 AM »
Avery John is the man for that spot.....with Andrews or Cox, going in the middle. You realise Leo like technical players, I feel he go like Cox when he see him and it will be him and Andrews in the center, Atiba on the right and Avery on the left. Lawrence on the bench with either Sancho or Anton.'' 

What is the story with Cox?  He was listed on the original list of overseas men called but I ent hear nothing about him coming down recently at all.  He doesn't seem to be in the plans for the next 2 matches.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2005, 08:01:45 AM »

If you look at Rojas MLS games online
you will see all the shortcoings dem fellahs talk about.
In his role as a defender the most alarming thing is the loose man marking.  You can't afford to let people get away from you cuz it only take one mistake and that is it.  To me it look like he a little overwwhelmed with the huge step up he making in his career and might need some time to catch up.  I not sure but I think he played midfield in his younger days.

He really need to learn fast.  His technique on the ball ok but the mental aspects and decision making need to be worked on....he could improve but right now he not a sure starter for us or for his RSL team.

Offline triniwings

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2005, 08:09:27 AM »
Touches, I hear ya broder...he is semi-competent, but at the same time not a waste of time like meh boy derek phillips...ah sure we all cud agree there.  But the fact remains Avery is no wing back.  Rojas really is not the best, you are right, and we deserve the best 11.  But putting aside the Avery debate, because I think Leo is quite satisfied to leave him there, who else could we putin that slot? It is not like we have a set of Jloyd Samuels in our camp.  He definitely ventures forward more than Atiba, but with what effect one must ask.  Atiba is much more effective when coming forward on that right side.  I think you will be disappointed if you see Avery running up that left side, he is not the same, and he is definitely not accustomed doing that.  That wing back role is crucial, and the player must instinctively know his responsibilities.  In my opinion, Avery is great where he is.  Rojas is not the best, I agree, but what choice do we have?

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2005, 08:14:36 AM »
Agreed, Avery is an out and out defender.
Doh ask him to move forward.  His best asset is that he closes down players real fast and without fear.

So you'll think we set with formation?
No 3-4-3 or 3-5-2 possible?
4-4-2 sound like it work defensively.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2005, 08:20:32 AM »
boss put jones as a midfielder
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

jusme

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2005, 08:34:18 AM »
what about nigel daniel as a wingback?  just a few days ago spann was bigging him up as one of the two best local players he ever play with (along with carrington). 

Assuming Dog is at the top of his game I think the back 4 should be

Dog
 Atiba             Avery             Daniel

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2005, 08:47:15 AM »
yes, rojas and marking dont go together well. he gives his men too much space because he needs to compensate for his lack of pace and stamina. he gets burned out too quickly.however, i wouldnt give up on him just yet as he is developing in mls. but he def cant play against panama and mexico. he just aint ready

cox needs to come back,i think he can really start for us. i wonder  if he was called for these games
Hart for president

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2005, 08:57:53 AM »
they tried Daniel versus NE Stars and reports say he didn't perform so well.  But Leo now can compare him to Rojas and decide who is better.

Another option is to go back to 3-5-2 and have Tiger playing the left wingback?

--------------------------Ince--------------------------
-------------Atiba-------Dog--------Avery----------
Edwards-----Spann/Theo/Whitely------Tiger
----------------Birchall--------Yorke----------------
-------------------Jones-------Stern----------------

jusme

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2005, 09:08:39 AM »
-------------Atiba-------Dog--------Avery----------
Edwards-----Spann/Theo/Whitely------Tiger

I love that lineup.   Tiger have that pitbull mentality, he might get over anxious on the ball when he's in a position to create constructive plays but you know that he eh letting nobody get space to look up and pick out men in the box to cross the ball to.   Edwards playing a role like the one he does play with his club, and we have a decent combination of steel and creativity in the middle of the field to go along with the athleticism and a proven goalscorer up top.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2005, 09:23:02 AM »
Calling Spann.
He is a valuable option if he get a chance to get into these early workouts.
I hope he doh get leave back with all that going on in dese early days.

We really hadda wuk that Yokohama club to get him back.
If he do well enuff maybe they could get some transfer money out of a deal.
Somebody should be on de phone with these people...they only Div 2

Offline triniwings

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2005, 10:40:02 AM »
Lets hope dey release Spann for LeoB to get a look at before the El Salvador friendly.

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2005, 11:02:32 AM »
I definitely agree with leaving Avery in the centre of defence.  Although he is left footed, he is not a wing back.  Leo needs to find someone for that position.  We don't have much time before the Panama game, so our options are Nigel Daniel and Marlon Rojas.  I will take my chances with Daniel until Leo comes up with a solution to this problem.
I haven't seen much of some players such as Cox and Sancho.  To the Forumites who have seen them play often, do you guys think they are possible options to play left back?

Offline triniwings

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2005, 11:17:30 AM »
nope....Cox or Sancho as left back.......not fast enough, would not be able to overlap and recover quickly, they are instinctive central defenders, and that is how they should remain.

Offline samo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2005, 12:17:02 PM »
I have not seen Cox play for a long time, but I remember he was a good reader of the game, but I found his tackling sometimes was too much could easily give a penalty away. But this is from a few years back.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2005, 04:00:59 PM »
I not necessarilly doubting what u fellas say abt. Rojas. but vs. CR, I listened on the radio.

And Rojas was constantly in the thick of things as a roving defender. Am I wron abt. that. He certainly seemed to have a good game against them.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2005, 04:28:52 PM »
-------------Atiba-----Andrews--------Avery----------
Edwards-------------Dwarika----------Tiger

Offline futbolfan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2005, 04:41:38 PM »
I not necessarilly doubting what u fellas say abt. Rojas. but vs. CR, I listened on the radio.
And Rojas was constantly in the thick of things as a roving defender.
VB

vb, listening to a game over the radio and seeing it on tv or in person are totally different.
The darkest hour is just before the dawn.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2005, 04:47:08 PM »
And Rojas was constantly in the thick of things as a roving defender.
VB

vb, listening to a game over the radio and seeing it on tv or in person are totally different.

I know. Hence the reason I asked.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2005, 05:37:41 PM »
nope....Cox or Sancho as left back.......not fast enough, would not be able to overlap and recover quickly, they are instinctive central defenders, and that is how they should remain.

We specialising in slow defenders. Anton slow as well and almost everybody else.  It looks like Rojas is the best option at this point.

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2005, 06:02:36 PM »

We specialising in slow defenders. Anton slow as well and almost everybody else.  It looks like Rojas is the best option at this point.

u really have de right handle because u talking real madness! rojas is a poor player at this level! i would put nigel daniel (who also had a poor game against north east stars) in de team before him!

Rojas is a poor defensive marker, and is very obvious with his one foot ability! he cyar kick with he left foot tuh save he life.  He cannot make that team, if he does, every team in de hex will kill we on de right!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

1]; } ?>