May 21, 2024, 03:17:17 AM

Author Topic: Let me ask allyuh who hating ah serious question.  (Read 14133 times)

truetrini

Let me ask allyuh who hating ah serious question.
« on: April 17, 2006, 07:41:58 AM »
If you had one (1) place on the Trinidad and Tobago Soca Warriors team, and two men to choose from.

1.  Landon Donavan
2.  Cornell Glen

Who allyuh go pick in all honesty?  And why?

Forget what allyuh feel bout de USA..and de match commentators.

Talk from ah footballing point aha view and keep de personal biasness out.

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
Re: Let me ask allyuh who hating ah serious question.
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2006, 08:04:33 AM »
I like dis kinda talk

I would choose Donovan.

Why?

Because his deficiencies as a player would be easily hidden given the other TT players around him.

I also think he brings as much to a team if not a little more than Cornell Glen.

e.g.

He can play fwd, wing, center mid.

He can defend as well as finish and he has a good fitness rate.

He can head a ball consistently

He has a free kick

Stronger frame and better presence on the field

Also I think he is a little more intelligent than Cornell and has a better footballing brain.

I find Cornell to do some "Dunce" things on a field from time to time...making the wrong decisions and over dribbling.

Lastly Donovan has a better first touch and control over Cornell. Cornells speed makes up for his poor touch.....watch him closely.

Now ask yourself this...Can Cornells deficiencies as a player be covered by his supporting TT cast members effectively?

If I was the coach I taking Donovan.....he is a more complete player.

Alright alyuh bash meh...hit meh the unpatriotic ranks, Donovan just as fast or a tad slower than Glenn and less flashy...But in criticising my assessment lay out and substantiate your arguement like I have above.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2006, 08:15:00 AM »

Well yes.....why restrict it to one player then?

double agent

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2006, 08:24:09 AM »
Donovan.....

No need for indepth analysis, he is just simply a much better player....at this point at least......

but I guess this question was not for me, because I wasn't hating..........

I like dis kinda talk

I would choose Donovan.

Why?

Because his deficiencies as a player would be easily hidden given the other TT players around him.

Explain what you mean by that Touches.....like an example...
« Last Edit: April 17, 2006, 08:29:27 AM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2006, 08:28:39 AM »
If you had one (1) place on the Trinidad and Tobago Soca Warriors team, and two men to choose from.

1.  Landon Donavan
2.  Cornell Glen

Donovan and Glen is two different players. I feal Donovan aint no foward so I cya compare both of them at all.. I feal Donovan is a Natural Midfielder and Glen is a work horse up front...  
Anyway Donovan playing wid Glen this year in de MLS ,   I gurantee Glen scoring at leat 17 goals with ease this year.. Its all about service,  and Donovan could ball..Yu see dat flick him pass for Glen ..Trus mi , this year nufff passes like dat a gwan.. and Nuff goals Glen go score!!!!!
Warmonga..
Black Lives Matter..

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2006, 08:31:11 AM »
given the lack of depth in midfield and abundance of forwards the warriors have...dare i say landon "i need rogaine or a headshave bad" donavan?

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2006, 08:31:55 AM »

Donovan and Glen is two different players. I feal Donovan aint no foward so I cya compare both of them at all.. I feal Donovan is a Natural Midfielder and Glen is a work horse up front...  
Anyway Donovan playing wid Glen this year in de MLS ,   I gurantee Glen scoring at leat 17 goals with ease this year.. Its all about service,  and Donovan could ball..Yu see dat flick him pass for Glen ..Trus mi , this year nufff passes like dat a gwan.. and Nuff goals Glen go score!!!!!
Warmonga..

answer the question....

no one asked who you think is the better player, he asked who you would choose on the Warriors team if there was one place left......

Which player do you think would have the greater effect on our team ? or are you saying they would have an equal effect so you can't choose ?

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2006, 08:35:02 AM »

1.  Landon Donavan
2.  Cornell Glen

Nobody is disputing that Donovan is a better player. Also most men give him his credit for being a good player, the only knock against him being that he chooses to play in a league with no great players.

But as you say Donovan's qualities are a different thing from the commentary and that is what most people commented on.

Just as we could give Donovan credit when due the commentator's failure to acknowledge Glen (and it was only one of them whoi did this) was glaring.

I don't see a problem with men noticing and even commenting on this.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2006, 08:57:42 AM »
How great did Donavon look abroad, normal to sayh the least. Donavan looks  good playing in the MLS and Hardest looks good(when he sweatin) playin in de PFL. But what about de bigger leaques?  Why is Donavan playing in de MLS? I think Cornell is who I want because he is on an upswing in momentum. He is getting better as he tries to make personal improvements and this is reflected in his work rate.  Kinda like a lesser Dwight Yorke. Donavan played at a higher level and has been downgraded. Training is Trainig so Im sure he working as hard on de field but in ones head a downgrade doesnt constitute the best platform to achieve unless directly tacked onto to upgrading again which means he lookin for a club which I dont think.
If Cornell agent say Europe calling, I sure he gone. ... and dont give me the schmuck about its not de big club that counts because if so E'to 's news wouldnt be such a surprise.
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2006, 08:58:00 AM »
Kicker

Every player has to perform a Primary role in a team, be it defending, striking, tackling etc....that is his or her strength.

But for the team to be effective the qualities that the player does not bring to the table must be covered or done by the teammates.

Now if a person is deficient in a particular area, more work will have to be done by the teammates in order for balance to be restored.

Its another way of saying...given his supporting cast, how would they cover the things he doe do good.

e.g. With Latapy in the midfield you have little defensive cover coming out of him...yes he may pelt a tackle and track back, but you not expecting that out of him. So who do you have in the middle to balance it out...Birchall Primary, Yorke Secondary and then WHitley.

Now if a mans weakness is glaring....then his teammates have more wuk to do, or their role is changed....e.g Whitley is a runnning, beating attacking Phenom for Jabloteh, but in TT colours he have to humble heself and play defensive mid or not as attacking because the Boss Latapy run things.

Now going back to the Glenn/Donovan issue....If you look at each players deficiencies...and how it will impact on work being done by the teammates
around them a sensible coach would go for the option that results in less load or work per supporting player. Thus the supporting players can concentrate on their primary role.

Lets give another example...Stern.

He will not run for no ball and you do not expect him to take any ball and run at a defence. He is a trap and screen man and goal poacher...........He is totally deficient at being a counter attack man  or penetrative player.

Thus to hide his lack of speed you change the formation to suit Sterns strengths or you place players around him with the attributes he does not have. Hence Scotland, Cornell, Kenwyne etc if playing a 4-4-2 are his striking partners.

Cornell nor Donovan are "stars" to dictate how we play around them....thus they would both be players who have to get with the system.

The logic of my thought process follows that Donovan is more of a complete player hence lessening the workload on his teammates allowing them to perform their roles more effectively.

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2006, 09:00:36 AM »
CORNELL GLEN cause he's Trini...end of story ::).
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2006, 09:01:17 AM »

Nobody is disputing that Donovan is a better player. Also most men give him his credit for being a good player, the only knock against him being that he chooses to play in a league with no great players.

But as you say Donovan's qualities are a different thing from the commentary and that is what most people commented on.

Just as we could give Donovan credit when due the commentator's failure to acknowledge Glen (and it was only one of them whoi did this) was glaring.

I don't see a problem with men noticing and even commenting on this.

The commentator was biased for sure.....because to me, Cornell's finish on the second goal was a class finish...not any and every striker was scoring that...honestly though I've heard non-American announcers make similar comments.....many commentators cannot totally hide their bias....even some of the British ones during the W.C. and Euro competitions...anyone denying that is deaf.

And yes, us on the forum commenting on the bias is no scene.....but you and I know better JDB. We didn't just notice it and comment on it. We used at as another excuse to hate on the U.S & Donovan.....read the posts.

I almost wanna bet that if Latas had run through a side and set up Donovan for that same goal.....and the commentators said "forget Donovan, look at the work that Latapy did to create that goal yadda yadda etc.......), there would be no complaint....in fact I almost wanna bet that we would jump on that statement, and start bawlin' how Donovan is nothing without Latas, and how the U.S. never create a player who could do that...blah blah...ole talk ole talk etc etc........it is in our nature.....in this case we use our own bias to complain about others' biases.....

it comes down to what I always say....there is no love for U.S. soccer on this site....full stop......I not saying it's right, but it is what it is, so doh try to be diplomatic about it, and make it sound like it was just a case of us noticing and commenting on some bad commentary...there was alot more to it than that.

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2006, 09:03:13 AM »
This thread real jokey..only me , andre and kicker answer truetrini original question yes.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2006, 09:07:32 AM by Touches »

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2006, 09:03:53 AM »
Kicker

Every player has to perform a Primary role in a team, be it defending, striking, tackling etc....that is his or her strength.

But for the team to be effective the qualities that the player does not bring to the table must be covered or done by the teammates.

Now if a person is deficient in a particular area, more work will have to be done by the teammates in order for balance to be restored.

Its another way of saying...given his supporting cast, how would they cover the things he doe do good.

e.g. With Latapy in the midfield you have little defensive cover coming out of him...yes he may pelt a tackle and track back, but you not expecting that out of him. So who do you have in the middle to balance it out...Birchall Primary, Yorke Secondary and then WHitley.

Now if a mans weakness is glaring....then his teammates have more wuk to do, or their role is changed....e.g Whitley is a runnning, beating attacking Phenom for Jabloteh, but in TT colours he have to humble heself and play defensive mid or not as attacking because the Boss Latapy run things.

Now going back to the Glenn/Donovan issue....If you look at each players deficiencies...and how it will impact on work being done by the teammates
around them a sensible coach would go for the option that results in less load or work per supporting player. Thus the supporting players can concentrate on their primary role.

Lets give another example...Stern.

He will not run for no ball and you do not expect him to take any ball and run at a defence. He is a trap and screen man and goal poacher...........He is totally deficient at being a counter attack man  or penetrative player.

Thus to hide his lack of speed you change the formation to suit Sterns strengths or you place players around him with the attributes he does not have. Hence Scotland, Cornell, Kenwyne etc if playing a 4-4-2 are his striking partners.

Cornell nor Donovan are "stars" to dictate how we play around them....thus they would both be players who have to get with the system.

The logic of my thought process follows that Donovan is more of a complete player hence lessening the workload on his teammates allowing them to perform their roles more effectively.

I know what you meant, I just wanted an example of what you think is one Donovan's weaknesses, and how you saw it being covered up.........and by whom......

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2006, 09:06:31 AM »
Kicker....

Why you so....if yuh know what I saying.

Or is it you wanted me to read and spell for the benefit of those who couldnt comprehend the question.

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2006, 09:07:45 AM »
I would pick Donovan and he would be the best player on the Soca Warriors 11 hands down.  At this point in time he is better than Dwight, Latas, Carlos, Stern everybody.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2006, 09:10:05 AM »
Nah Kicker not at all... not at all....

you making it sound like the US/Donovan hate was de only reason men jump on the commentary....

Dem men went OVERBOARD rite dey... and dat is de real reason why men cyah stand US/Donovan/US commentary...

all dey had was to say was... great goal... and GREAT pass... wonderfully weighted... good vision.... but them like dey couldnt wait to "break" on dey self and run down on de pitch to shower donovan with praises and gifts...

and dis is not a one off... their commentary in de last world cup... WCQ and all up to de Jamaica game last week leaves alot to be desired...

Also this kind of biased, fawning commentary... de US do not have a monopoly on dat at all... yuh ever heard of de english Clive Tydesly .... Man U men go know... dat man sickening

p.s. ah so shame so i ent go type it.... I go pick L....
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline kingman

• Most Wanted
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Football talk = socawarriors.net
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2006, 09:11:00 AM »
I would pick Donovan and he would be the best player on the Soca Warriors 11 hands down.  At this point in time he is better than Dwight, Latas, Carlos, Stern everybody.

:rotfl: ;D You guys really know how to come on board and talk some good sutff. LOL. He better than everybody hands down?...LOL.

Kingman

Paradise lies in ones' heart

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2006, 09:14:28 AM »
I would pick Donovan and he would be the best player on the Soca Warriors 11 hands down.  At this point in time he is better than Dwight, Latas, Carlos, Stern everybody.

HEHEHEHEHE  :rotfl:

Arrow breds yuh jest rile up the whole board with that statement  ;D

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2006, 09:18:52 AM »
This thread real jokey..only me , andre and kicker answer truetrini original question yes.

Touches, this statement reeks of waggonism. like yuh put down  a wuk and then went back to de scene to see how de police and people felt about it.... I dont think your product knowledge was threatened here......why de sprinkles over meh bannana split!!

I'd still go with Cornell Glen.His Passport and Nationality  supports his ability to be a Soca-warrior.  Donavan cant be a warrior so I deem this a  hypathetical non-dimensional question at best.

. Did I anwser de question now.

:beermug: :beermug: :beermug:  Cheers
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2006, 09:19:00 AM »
I would pick Donovan and he would be the best player on the Soca Warriors 11 hands down.  At this point in time he is better than Dwight, Latas, Carlos, Stern everybody.

It too early to smoking breds ::)
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2006, 09:24:09 AM »
Nah Kicker not at all... not at all....

you making it sound like the US/Donovan hate was de only reason men jump on the commentary....

Dem men went OVERBOARD rite dey... and dat is de real reason why men cyah stand US/Donovan/US commentary...

all dey had was to say was... great goal... and GREAT pass... wonderfully weighted... good vision.... but them like dey couldnt wait to "break" on dey self and run down on de pitch to shower donovan with praises and gifts...

and dis is not a one off... their commentary in de last world cup... WCQ and all up to de Jamaica game last week leaves alot to be desired...

Also this kind of biased, fawning commentary... de US do not have a monopoly on dat at all... yuh ever heard of de english Clive Tydesly .... Man U men go know... dat man sickening

p.s. ah so shame so i ent go type it.... I go pick L....

not the only reason....but a major part of it......

A major part of it as well, was the fact that Glenn scored the goal.....if it were another striker (an american for eg....we wouldn't care as much)....that's why I say it's not just the commentary......

like I say iz no scene to me....I agree the commentary on that goal was bad.....and it struck a sensitive nerve in me too,....... one because I like Cornell Glenn and two, because to me the finish was class.....(notice I always use "we"....I don't fully abscond myself from the Trini bias...iz our nature)

but lewwe not sugar coat our intentions and make it sound like all of a sudden we have this strong ethical conscience about biased commentary............you and I know better.

Kicker....

Why you so....if yuh know what I saying.

Or is it you wanted me to read and spell for the benefit of those who couldnt comprehend the question.

;D
« Last Edit: April 17, 2006, 09:33:36 AM by kicker »

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2006, 09:24:29 AM »
Ephraim yuh moving lil touchy today breds...

I'd still go with Cornell Glen.His Passport and Nationality  supports his ability to be a Soca-warrior.  Donavan cant be a warrior so I deem this a  hypathetical non-dimensional question at best.

. Did I anwser de question now.

ARGHHMMM  NO

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2006, 09:28:31 AM »

It too early to smoking breds ::)

Nah man he hadda be swingin sarcasm dey...de man cyah be serious
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline dwn

• Hero Warrior
  • "Hands that help are holier than lips that pray"
    • View Profile
    • Arsenal Now!
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2006, 09:30:58 AM »
Answer: Donavan. He is a more complete player. The only thing Glen has over Donavan is speed. And Im not even 100% sure about that cause Donavan has real speed too.

TrinInfinite

« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2006, 09:31:51 AM »
wat is de point of this thread? what are u trying to achieve tt by asking this question, wats de objective? :thinking: :waiting:

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2006, 09:38:00 AM »
I really don't see the issue here. Everybody knows that T&T fans will always hate US football. This sort of thing happens all over the world. Rivalries are good so long as things never get violent. If we hate US football we hate US football ! How different is that from Brazillians hating Argentine football? When Tevez went to Corinthians he made a statement about Maradona being the best ever that offended many Pele afficianados. The Scotts hate the English, the Dutch hate the Germans etc, etc.

I'm one of those people who think that Donavon is overrated. I think he's a good player but I don't think he's a great player.Please remember that he plays in the MLS and even then he's not as dominant as US media would have us believe. Its not  fair to mention his European experience with Leverkusen since he was young at the time. That being said, I still expected much more from this player. He has a good touch and plenty heart(A prerequisite of all American players) not much more. He'd often vanish from games and can be marked easily by any committed defender. During the World Cup, Donavon will come up against Gatusso of Italy, Essien of Ghana and Jarosik of the Czech Republic. How many Donavon fans can say that these players don't routinely play against attackers who are superior ?

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2006, 09:38:52 AM »
donavan

because he is a brilliant player...and has such class....... glenn to me isnt dat hott ...he is very overated in my books

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2006, 09:40:22 AM »
Pops...

This question go break me down into tears... I love meh fellow socawarrior Glen and I hate that big head Donovan... but...

Landon Donovan is a very good player now... however I still believe with more exposer Glen has the potential to be far better...

simply becuase...

1. He's faster.

2. He has a more powerful shot and a far superior volley shot.

3. He is has alot more strength than Donovan on and off the ball.

What Donovan currently has him on those is...

1. A Higher level of dribbling skills.

2. Sharper, more inovative passing.

So I'de still have to go with Glen.

VP of the Glen for Goals committee

RIGHT THROUGH

since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Offline john_public

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2006, 09:41:00 AM »
well dat it 2 different kinda players, and have different roles, but to make a choice i going wit glen, any trini over any other player in the world.

trini 2 d bone  
 ;D

1]; } ?>