May 21, 2024, 09:10:46 PM

Author Topic: Yorke to take on Everton in Sydney FC farewell.  (Read 2071 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Yorke to take on Everton in Sydney FC farewell.
« on: June 17, 2010, 05:59:31 PM »
Yorke to take on Everton in Sydney FC farewell.
tribalfootball.com.

Sydney football fans will be able to fulfill a long-awaited wish next month with confirmation today that former Sydney FC favourite, Dwight Yorke, will wear the sky blue shirt once again as a guest player in the pre-season match against Everton Football Club.

Yorke, who was Sydney’s and the A-League’s highest profile recruit in the inaugural season in 2005, was an unparalleled favourite of Sydney FC fans and was instrumental in helping to attract new fans to the game.

“It’s been four years since I had to leave Sydney FC and, although I enjoyed my time at Sunderland afterwards, I always thought there was unfinished business with Sydney.

“I had a fantastic time with the club and the other lads in the team and, of course, Sydney is a fantastic city,” said Yorke from Port of Spain, Trinidad today.

Yorke was sold to Sunderland just as the second season of the A-League got underway in August 2006, after having been a major contributor to Sydney FC on and off the field,as well as appearing in the 2006 FIFA World Cup for Trinidad and Tobago.

In his final game for Sydney FC, he captained the team to the A-League’s inaugural championship with a 1-0 win over Central Coast Mariners. He also received the Joe Marston Medal for player of the match.

Yorke remains one of the highest profile players ever recruited to the A-League, having enjoyed a stellar career in the English Premier League with Aston Villa and Manchester United (amongst others) prior to arriving in Australia.

He won three championships, one FA Cup, the European Championship and the Intercontinental Cup with United and was a close friend and team mate of former Socceroo great, Mark Bosnich, at both Villa and United.

“It’s a great thrill to play for Sydney again and to have a chance to say farewell to all of Sydney’s fantastic fans and supporters,” said Yorke.

“It will be a terrific game against Everton.

“I’ve seen their squad list for the tour down under. In addition to Aussie favourite Timmy Cahill, it includes my good friend Phil Neville and others such as Louis Saha, Phil Jagielka and Leighton Baines who only just missed England selection for this year’s World Cup.

“I also know Sydney FC won the double last season under new coach Vitezslav Lavicka and I’m really looking forward to playing with them.

“I hope as many fans as possible can come out and support the match, and let me say a fond farewell to a city and club I love.”

Sydney FC will meet Everton on Saturday 10 July at ANZ Stadium. Tickets are available from Ticketek on 132 849.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
Dwight Yorke to play Sydney FC farewell match against Everton
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 05:04:09 PM »
Dwight Yorke to play Sydney FC farewell match against Everton
perthnow.com

FAREWELL, SYDNEY: Dwight Yorke will return to play a send-off match for Sydney FC against Everton. Picture: Mark Evans Source: The Daily Telegraph

DWIGHT Yorke will play a belated farewell match for Sydney FC as a guest starter in the club's pre-season clash against Everton in July.

The former Manchester United star will re-unite with the club he steered to the inaugural A-League title in 2005.

"It's been four years since I had to leave Sydney FC and, although I enjoyed my time at Sunderland afterwards, I always thought there was unfinished business with Sydney," Yorke said from Port of Spain, Trinidad.

"I had a fantastic time with the club and the other lads in the team and, of course, Sydney is a fantastic city.

"It's a great thrill to play for Sydney again and to have a chance to say farewell to all of Sydney's fantastic fans and supporters."

The match against the touring Barclays Premier League club will be played at ANZ Stadium on July 10.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Dwight Yorke to play for Sydney FC against Everton
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 06:50:40 AM »
Dwight Yorke to play for Sydney FC against Everton
By Dwight Yorke (The Daily Telegraph)

IT WILL be strange being back in the Sydney FC dressingroom but surrounded by so many different faces.

In five years many of the personnel have changed since that fantastic first year when we won the grand final.

In fact, there's only one face I'll remember from the playing ranks, and that's Terry McFlynn - though I hear he's become an Australian these days. And I'm sure Bimbi (Steve Corica) will put his head in, even though these days he's coaching the Sydney kids.

But the key moment for me, the real reason I'm doing this, will come when I hit the park in that blue shirt. The one thing that has bugged me in what I'd like to think has been a pretty good career has been the fact I never got a chance to say a proper, footballing farewell to the Sydney fans.

I was at a pretty low point in my career when I came to Sydney, but my year and a bit in one of the world's great cities helped me feel the love again for what has been my life.Playing for Sydney rejuvenated me and made me feel I was able to go back for another stint in the Premier League.

And the fans in the Cove were a huge part of that. The Cove are as close as the A-League gets to a European or even English audience for the atmosphere they create.

I did get the chance to say thanks and farewell before a game last season but it's not the same as pulling on the shirt and being part of the action.

So when my agent was contacted about my joining Sydney for a one-off, it took me a second to say yes. To be fair, I've looked after myself, even though I am retired.

I've played a few charity matches and I've also worked hard in the gym, so I don't think I'll embarrass myself, even against the Everton boys.

One of them, of course, is a certain Phil Neville, who I played with for years at Manchester United - I'm sure I'll point out to him that he's no spring chicken either.

It'll be interesting to see who's the quickest come the end of the game!

Since I quit after Trinidad's World Cup campaign, I've been doing mainly media work and I keep an eye on the A-League. But I only get to see half-an-hour of highlights so it will be interesting to see where Sydney are at compared with when I left.

It's a new team but they are champions like we were, and I have no doubt they will show me that they're more than capable of defending that title.

But Sydney has become a huge part of my life, with so many friends here.

It's perfect that I'm coming back to say a proper goodbye to Sydney, the club, but I'll never say goodbye to Sydney the city.

The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
Re: Yorke to take on Everton in Sydney FC farewell.
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 10:07:26 AM »
Yorke won't let down
By: Steve Orme (Sportal)

He has hardly touched a football in eight months - but former English Premier League and Sydney FC star Dwight Yorke is adamant he won't let anyone down in the one-off clash with Everton this weekend.

Yorke, who led Sydney FC to grand-final glory in the inaugural A-League season in 2005, will line-up for the Sky Blues as a guest player at ANZ Stadium on Saturday night.

The 38-year-old, who played a further four seasons with EPL club Sunderland after his stay in the harbour city, hung up the boots last year after a decorated career spanning two decades that also included stints with Aston Villa, Manchester United, Blackburn Rovers and Birmingham City.

And while he insists he has no desire to make a return to competitive football, the former Trinidad and Tobago captain is confident he can still hold his own.

"If I didn't think I could do it and if I didn't think I could give a good account of myself I wouldn't be here," Yorke said, who completed a marathon journey from South Africa to Australia via England on Wednesday morning.

"I don't take the Mick out of people and I don't take the Mick certainly out of myself - I don't want to be doing that. I didn't turn up here just for turning up's sake. I'm here to give a good account of myself and that's what I'm hoping for."

"I just want everybody to know I'm not here looking for a new contract or anything, I'm coming here to give my best obviously because I'm competitive like that."

"I'm looking forward to play against a Premier League team and I'm sure all the boys from Sydney as well are looking forward to that, because that opportunity doesn't come along very often. It'll just be good to see if I can still compete at that level."

While Yorke says 'it would be unfair if people think I'm just going to turn up and be a world beater', the veteran striker is confident he can see out the full 90 minutes on Saturday night.

"Football to me is not that difficult," he said.

"I'm in pretty good nick in terms of physical fitness."

"Football wise obviously I've lacked that in the next two days we'll monitor that as to how long I'll play in the game, but from a physical point of view I'm in very good touch. I just need to get the feel of the ball and I should be ok."

Asked if the lure of Sydney night life influenced his decision to return, Yorke said with a smile: "I'm looking forward to that as well."

Experienced Everton defender Tony Hibbert has no doubt Yorke will turn up ready to play.

"Knowing Dwight he's probably been doing stuff to keep in shape and he's a good player," Hibbert told Sportal.

"You don't just lose it overnight and he's played in some top teams."

"I've played against him before and he's a class player and it just shows if Dwight Yorke's playing out here the lads (Sydney FC) are going to be good."

"So it'll be a very good game."

Meanwhile, Yorke says he's yet to decide what his future holds but admits a career in coaching is a strong possibility.

Not surprisingly he has plenty of options having balanced a fledgling media career with his role as Ambassador of Sport in Trinidad and Tobago since hanging up the boots.

"I feel that given time, once I've settled down a little bit and reflect on which direction I want to go I'll make that decision," he said.

"But football has been part of my life and it's very difficult to walk away from that."

"Management is something that I feel I can be good at providing that the opportunity is the right one."
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Dwight Yorke arrives ahead of Everton tour Down Under
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 04:45:58 PM »

Footballer Dwight Yorke arrives ahead of the Sydney FC v Everton Tour Down Under match, which takes place on July 10, at Sydney International Airport on July 7, 2010 in Sydney, Australia. Yorke will reprise his role with Sydney FC for the match.
(July 6, 2010 - Photo by Brendon Thorne/Getty Images AsiaPac)

Footballer Dwight Yorke meets with Sydney FC head coach Vitezslav Lavicka during a meet and greet with his Sydney FC teammates ahead of the Sydney FC v Everton Tour Down Under match, which takes place on July 10, at Macquarie University on July 7, 2010 in Sydney, Australia. Yorke will reprise his role with Sydney FC for the match.

Footballer Dwight Yorke meets with his Sydney FC teammates ahead of the Sydney FC v Everton Tour Down Under match, which takes place on July 10, at Macquarie University on July 7, 2010 in Sydney, Australia. Yorke will reprise his role with Sydney FC for the match.

Footballer Dwight Yorke meets Terry Antonis during a meet and greet with his Sydney FC teammates ahead of the Sydney FC v Everton Tour Down Under match, which takes place on July 10, at Macquarie University on July 7, 2010 in Sydney, Australia. Yorke will reprise his role with Sydney FC for the match.

Footballer Dwight Yorke meets Nick Carle during a meet and greet with his Sydney FC teammates ahead of the Sydney FC v Everton Tour Down Under match, which takes place on July 10, at Macquarie University on July 7, 2010 in Sydney, Australia. Yorke will reprise his role with Sydney FC for the match.

Footballer Dwight Yorke meets Alex Brosque during a meet and greet with his Sydney FC teammates ahead of the Sydney FC v Everton Tour Down Under match, which takes place on July 10, at Macquarie University on July 7, 2010 in Sydney, Australia. Yorke will reprise his role with Sydney FC for the match.

The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Trinimassive

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 04:59:05 PM »
Dwight looking lil bit older than he usually do. He must be partying harder than ever.

Do yuh thing Dwighty. Keep fit we might use yuh again. We keep Latas till he 40 and he's ah smoker.

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 08:26:15 PM »
How did this game go?
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline bingie man

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 11:02:50 PM »
Gallant Sky Blues go down 1-0 to Everton
Related Items
 Sydney FC v Everton press conference - Vitja, Terry & Dwight
Saturday, 10 July 2010 by Karol Foyle, Sydney FC

Dwight Yorke played his final match for Sydney FC tonight
Getty Images
Hyundai A-League 2010 Champions Sydney FC proved they could match it with the best after a strong showing against English Premier League side Everton at ANZ Stadium on Saturday night, falling 1-0.

In front of 40,466 football fans, Sydney FC was not overawed by their more fancied opponent with a goal in the opening minutes of second half the only difference between the two sides.

Nigerian international Victor Anichebe punished Sydney FC in the first minute of the second half scoring the only goal in an otherwise even match.

The Sky Blues created plenty of chances throughout the match with the speed and combination of strike duo Alex Brosque and Mark Bridge causing the Toffees defence several headaches whilst keeper Ivan Necevski was a standout at the back.

Sydney FC coach Vitezslav Lavicka was pleased despite the loss, praising the Sky Blues effort.

“We played compact in defence and created some good moments in attack but they punished us early in the second half, we made some mistake and they scored,” Lavicka said.

“It’s a very good experience for all of us and a great present for Sydney FC fans as well. I am happy to be playing this game as there are not many opportunities to play against a good international team, which Everton is.'

Captain Terry McFlynn also praised his team’s effort, who more than matched it with some of the world’s best footballers. “Intensity wise it was great for us to put ourselves against a premier league team to see where we sit in the spectrum of football,” McFlynn said.

“Both sides are in the pre-season. It’s about fitness; it’s about preparation for our season so I think it was a good outcome for both sides tonight.”

The first half was not the goal fest either set of fans was hoping for as both sides had their chances to open the score. Equally both sides defence was up to the challenge with the majority of shots either heading over the goals or hit straight into the arms of the keeper.

Brosque looked the most dangerous for Sydney FC and his first chance came early in the game. He intercepted a lazy defensive pass from Leighton Baines in the 5th minute and unfortunately for the Sky Blues his shot was sent powerfully to the hands of Everton’s Scottish keeper Iain Turner.

Everton’s right field players were causing headaches for Sydney’s defence throughout the first half. James Vaughan slipped through Sydney defensive line numerous times with one shot just well saved by Necevski and Jack Rodwell also had his chances, his best coming in the 12th minute but his shot drifted over the bar.

Dwight Yorke proved he has not lost any of his skills when in the 22nd minute he skillfully tackled from behind, winning a free kick in Sydney’s favour.

Less than a minute later it was Yorke again took possession of the ball sending it on to Scott Jamieson on the left side. Jamieson lobbed the ball into the goal square only for the Toffees to remove the danger.

Brosque was on goal again in the 26th minute with Sylvain Distin forcing the ball out and conceding the corner but the Sky Blues could not capitalize on their attack after fouling in the box as the corner was taken.

Sydney best shot of the half was in the 31st minute after Brosque passed wide to Jamieson and Sydney’s new left midfielder sent the ball back into the goal square. After a slight Bridge miss-hit, the ball fell to Brosque but his powerful shot went straight to Turner.

Jamieson had his best chance in the 42nd minute after Sebastian Ryall lobbed the ball over to the left side but Jamieson’s shot flew over the bar and into the Cove.

The second half began perfectly for Everton as Victor Anchebe opened the scoring within the first minute after Leighton Baines threaded the ball to Anichebe with his back to goal. Anichebe spun and drilled left footed to the top left corner of the goals, leaving Necevski with no chance to save.

Brosque was again leading Sydney’s attack in the second half and his first chance came in the 55th minute with a header falling safely to Turner.

Mikel Arteta had two shots within the space of a minute in the 74th with the first coming from a lovely one-two set up from Phil Jagielka but his shot was parried back into play by Necevski. Arteta’s second chance came 20 seconds later but again Necevski denied the Spanish midfielder with a suburb save.

The home fans cried out for a penalty in the 78th minute after Brosque was brought down in the box but the referee did not answer their prayers.

Sydney had their best chance to level the game in the 87th minute with a cross from Brosque finding Dimitri Petratos in space but Petratos touched the ball one too many times and the Everton defence forced him to lose control over the line.

Yorke was delighted with his return to the Sky Blues. “It was absolutely first class. It was great for us to put ourselves against a Premier League team.”

Sydney FC’s next preseason clash is against the Central Coast Mariners at the Sydney Showground on Saturday 17 July.

Sydney FC: 20. Ivan NECEVSKI, 12. Shannon COLE, 3. Stephan KELLER, 2. Sebastian RYALL, 22. Sung Hwan BYUN, 15. Terry McFLYNN, 19. Dwight YORKE (28. Hirofuni MORIYASU 62’), 7. Brendan GAN (17. Terry ANTONIS 67’), 9. Mark BRIDGE (29. Blake POWELL 83’), 21. Scott JAMIESON (26. Dimitri PETRATOS 86’), 14. Alex BROSQUE.

Subs not used: 1. Liam REDDY, 5. Hayden FOXE, 13. Antony GLOEC, 26. Dimitri PETRATOS.

Everton: 12. Iain TURNER, 2. Tony HIBBERT, 3. Leighton BAINES, 15. Sylvain DISTIN, 6. Phil JAGIELKA, 7. Diniyar BILYALETDINOV (9 Jose Baxter 64’), 21. Leon OSMAN, 10. Mikel ARTETA, 26. Jack RODWELL, 14. James VAUGHAN (17. Tim CAHILL 46’), 28. Victor ANICHEBE (8. Louis SAHA 71’).

Subs not used: 31. Seamus COLEMAN, 11. Magaye GUEYE, 16. Joao SILVA, 25. Shkodran MUSTAFI, 23. Lukas JUTKIEWICZ.

1]; } ?>