May 05, 2024, 12:38:09 PM

Author Topic: Too much talent ?  (Read 2420 times)

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
Too much talent ?
« on: August 08, 2007, 05:58:07 PM »
With Giovani dos Santos and Bojan Krkic both pushing very hard for a first team spot, and Lionel Messi almost a certain starter, Phil Smith wonders how the big buys will handle the humility of the bench.

As the new season in Spain approaches fans of Barcelona will be licking their lips at the prospect of seeing Ronaldinho, Eto'o, Messi and Henry all gracing the Camp Nou turf.

However, it is looking increasingly likely that Frank Rijkaard will opt to stick with the tried and tested 4-3-3, meaning one of the 'fantastic four' will always be conspicuous by their absence.

As a result Rijkaard will have to cleverly rotate the four superstars to keep them all happy and avoid any dressing room unrest, which blighted the side last season. 

Of the four, Rijkaard will probably be most concerned with the potentially volatile Samuel Eto'o. After the confusion over his refusal to take the field against Racing, Eto'o snapped and revealed the friction between himself and Ronaldinho. A few days later and they were claiming to be best of friends again, putting down the problems to a lack of communication.

There have been no problems since, and the squad insist they are more determined and united than ever. However, how would Eto'o react to being left out of the team for a game such as El Classico? Only time will tell, but Barça will be hoping not to see a repeat of the infamous outburst at Vilafranca. 

Despite being the clubs top scorer last season, Ronaldinho came in for some criticism for performing below his own incredibly high standards. Milan's interest in the two time world player of the year is well known and Barça are thought to have knocked back numerous attempts to lure him away from Catalonia.

Rijkaard will be aware that Milan will be waiting should Ronaldinho become upset at constant rotations. However, after complaining of tiredness last season, Ronaldinho may welcome the extra rest. 

The latest addition to the Barcelona frontline, Thierry Henry, has already stated on more than one occasion that it is up to 'the boss' who plays and he'll accept any decision he makes. Although, after leaving Arsenal, where he was treated like a king, Henry hasn't just come to Barcelona to sit on the bench. He has shown in the past that he is determined to play every game and won't be satisfied to play second fiddle.

Perhaps the most important player for Rijkaard to keep happy is Leo Messi. At the age of 20 he is already one of the best players in the world and on course to become one of the greatest ever. Despite producing some jaw droppingly good performances in the last two seasons, Messi has been frustrated by injuries and could be unhappy to have his rhythm disrupted by being rotated regularly. 

The problem has been complicated by the form shown by Bojan Krkic and in particular Giovani Dos Santos. Spanish u-17 call up has denied Krkic a chance to impress, but Dos Santos has been the star of the pre-season thus far, eclipsing one and all.

As much he has Krkic with want and merit starts once in three games or so, if not more. That will see more of the big boys on the bench. It might even be better for them, keep them fresh for the business end of the season, but it remains to be seen if that is how they will choose to see it.

With the talent Rijkaard has at his disposal he'll be expected to deliver success. If everyone at the Camp Nou is happy they will take some stopping, and with Barça playing in numerous competitions there should be plenty of games for each of the player. However, that will work only if the stars leave their tantrums behind.

Barcelona's rivals will be hoping, waiting, almost praying for ego's to clash, for the Catalan giants to hit the self-destruct button. Will they succumb? Hand on heart, every Barcelona fan will have a few concerns.

goal.com

Hearts
Yokohama
Beijing Guoan
Dundee United

« Last Edit: August 08, 2007, 06:15:01 PM by Jah Gol »

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Too much talent ?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 07:05:27 PM »
nice read jah..
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007, 08:43:39 PM »
good stuff
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 09:58:07 PM »
And people wondering why i was pissing vex dem gone and buy henry. They already had to get rid of guily because messi pushed him down the pecking order. Henry starts left and drifts in just like ronaldinho.........and then you have the etoo factor.....as well as henry's strong persona. On top of that we still have to unleash gio dos santos on the world. How you going and work that out? Steups.......
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2007, 06:18:48 AM »
And people wondering why i was pissing vex dem gone and buy henry. They already had to get rid of guily because messi pushed him down the pecking order. Henry starts left and drifts in just like ronaldinho.........and then you have the etoo factor.....as well as henry's strong persona. On top of that we still have to unleash gio dos santos on the world. How you going and work that out? Steups.......

League, Kings Cup, Champions league lots of opportunity.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2007, 06:37:38 AM »
It seems that Dos Santos really impressed in the preseason. Frank has been quoted as saying he (Dos Santos) is his secret weapon for the next season. For all of Barca's spending on 'big players' their focus on the youth has to credited. Dos Santos, Bojan and Messi are all products of their youth system. You could add Puyol, Xavi and Iniesta to that list.

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2007, 06:49:29 AM »
and fabregas............he left at age 16 cause he wanted to play 1st team ball
he and messi played on the same barca youth teams
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2007, 07:01:11 AM »
In problems of" too much talent" in a squad one needs a coach/manager who is , simply put, a fire breather. One who is highly respected by the members of the squad and who can keep the players ego in check...even the great fergie has had his clashes so we know its a very hard task.

the thing with Rijkaard he doesnt seem like much of  a fire breathing manager , add to that the influence of the barca board and president seems to be strong .  i think they have a strong influence in who plays at times. nevertheless too much talent is always a good headache to have. if  u recall last season we were hit with injuries to messi and eto'o which did affect our season. so i wish rijkarrd d best

and i think barca's actual formation is 4-3-2-1 which is very simillar to 4-3-3
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline duscam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2007, 07:34:44 AM »
i real frighten for tnt with dos santos and marquez.

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2007, 07:36:37 AM »
thats why i never made it i football

too much talent
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline ANC2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2007, 07:55:52 AM »
i real frighten for tnt with dos santos and marquez.

Vela & Villluz is two wicked youth to add to that squad, plus the Gk and Captain (central stopper) for the U20.
Mexico look set

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2007, 08:34:02 AM »
I hope Rijkaard finds a way that he can play all four.

Yuh know if they had sold Eto'o they woulda lessen the problem.

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2007, 09:19:21 AM »
I hope Rijkaard finds a way that he can play all four.

Yuh know if they had sold Eto'o they woulda lessen the problem.
It eh too late! Dey could still get good money fuh him!
Besides, ah hear Sunderland looking fuh strikers  ;D ;D
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2007, 10:18:43 AM »
When I read the Heding I thought was Man U you going and talk about yes.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

1]; } ?>